This months Trial of the Century Depp v Heard

Moby Ric

Today has been nothing but the defense parading out all the freeloaders who were having all their booze, drugs, and vacations paid for by JD.  They are all mad the ride was ended.  If this is the best the defense can do then they need to call it a day.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think they're both huge piles of shit, and both cases should be thrown out.

They should then be sentenced to live in a 12 x12 room stacked waist deep in every drug known to man for the rest of their soon to be short lives.

*full disclosure: I've always hated Depp.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

I get that eye witness statements will have some variations, but none of these witnesses did AH are remotely consistent with anything AH has said or with each other. Hell, nobody can get thier story straight about his finger getting chopped off.

Nobody can say, “Yes, he hit her” they all say Amber said or we saw bruises or what ever. 

Both of them are pretty screwed up, but she is straight crazy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

This trial is truly a "lifestyles of the rich and famous" moment.

There's no doubt to me each one perpetuated some form of abuse on one another, and I'm still not convinced one or the other was the primary abuser.

That said, Amber is clearly lying in both significant and non-significant ways.  She has no credibility.  Most of the evidence works against her in significant ways.

This should be a lawsuit impossible to win if the defense is handled correctly. It's a defamation case for an article that doesn't mention Johnny, the relationship, or any specific incidences.  Now, I'm not sure how it ends up.

Depp is clearly winning the PR battle, which I think is all they both care about.

• Hook 'Em 2

Both are spending an inordinate amount of money on a lawsuit that, no matter which way it goes, will leave both of them broke as neither one has the money to pay the other. AH already can't pay charitable pledges and JD made a bunch of bad real estate investments and inhaled the rest of his fortune up his nose. The only ones to win in this case are the attorneys. Everyone else, including the taxpayers and jurors, loses.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 1

Depp is definitely winning the PR battle. Sounds like from that lawyer's podcast the jury is also with him. This was never a truly easy case for him to  win. The main thing he was after was he never hit her. So far the evidence is not helping her in this regard. She admitted yesterday that the piece was about him (and now other people.) The ACLU helped her to write/publish and to place the piece for the maximum publicity (timing with the release of the first Aquaman) and they admitted the piece was about him. The more she is caught in a lie or lies (as seems to be the case) the less credible she is. Whether the jury is just "over" the whole sordid bad celebrity really weird mofos thing is a factor as well. 

Full disclosure: Never really thought of Johnny Depp as hot. Not during the 21 Jump Street phase, etc.. I thought his best role was in Donnie Brasco. He is a huge star though and his drug and alcohol issues aside not many people who truly know him well have much bad to say about him. Again, not an easy case to win on his end but I think the damage was done yesterday by the great Camille on cross. She got Amber good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Depp is definitely winning the PR battle. Sounds like from that lawyer's podcast the jury is also with him. This was never a truly easy case for him to  win.

If the jury believes Johnny didn’t abuse Amber, and they believe Amber’s article was written about him, how do they award him the $50 million defamation?

Johnny’s career was stalling before the Heard abuse allegations. Aside from Pirates, most of his other movies were not doing well at the box office. They said he lost $22M for the next Pirates movie, but there was no signed contract or paperwork to verify, just a verbal agreement. 

However, over the course of his lifetime, a $50M loss seems reasonable. All those endorsement gigs add up over time even if his movies have sucked. Before this trial he was radioactive to all advertisers. 

16 minutes ago, MrBig said:

If the jury believes Johnny didn’t abuse Amber, and they believe Amber’s article was written about him, how do they award him the $50 million defamation?

Johnny’s career was stalling before the Heard abuse allegations. Aside from Pirates, most of his other movies were not doing well at the box office. They said he lost $22M for the next Pirates movie, but there was no signed contract or paperwork to verify, just a verbal agreement. 

However, over the course of his lifetime, a $50M loss seems reasonable. All those endorsement gigs add up over time even if his movies have sucked. Before this trial he was radioactive to all advertisers. 

The dude made 50+ on pirates 5 and was looking at a min of 10 for the fantastic beast film he got cut from.

50 is probably pretty conservative number if we are looking at several years of lost and future earnings. 

Do I think he should get 50, no. Do I think he has a decent basis for his number. Yes. Is her number based on anything in reality or has been documented by anyone. No.

At one point, he was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 million...or so I have read. But between the multiple homes, island(s), shooting Hunter Thompson's ashes into space, $50k on wine a month...blah blah blah...the kicker is Amber found out he'd basically blown all of it on their honeymoon. Naturally, she was very supportive. (Narrator: no she was not.)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

At one point, he was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 million...or so I have read. But between the multiple homes, island(s), shooting Hunter Thompson's ashes into space, $50k on wine a month...blah blah blah...the kicker is Amber found out he'd basically blown all of it on their honeymoon. Naturally, she was very supportive. (Narrator: no she was not.)

And losing the trial in the UK wasn’t cheap. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think packing Hunter's ashes into some fireworks and shooting them hundreds of feet into the air out of a giant, two-thumbed fist counts as "space".

• Haha 2

I think anyone dealing with a narcissistic BPD type feels like a winner here because Amber was on full display in court the past two days. Awesome. At least people playing at home can go, "See? Do you see what I am dealing with damnit?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

And losing the trial in the UK wasn’t cheap. 

Johnny got fucked in the UK trial. He was going up against Rupert Murdoch and The Sun. Amber was just a witness for The Sun. She was close to people who knew the judge. I’m not surprised they ruled in her favor, especially after all this bullshit evidence the US trial has aired out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Johnny got fucked in the UK trial. He was going up against Rupert Murdoch and The Sun. Amber was just a witness for The Sun. She was close to people who knew the judge. I’m not surprised they ruled in her favor, especially after all this bullshit evidence the US trial has aired out. 

That’s not my point. My point is both of these fools are judgement proof at this point given the amount of cash they’ve blown on this circus. This whole thing is a fool’s errand that is only enriching a bunch of attorneys.

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

That’s not my point. My point is both of these fools are judgement proof at this point given the amount of cash they’ve blown on this circus. This whole thing is a fool’s errand that is only enriching a bunch of attorneys.

Like almost all lawsuits?

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Johnny already lost tons of money due to the abuse allegations so he might as well spend the rest to clear up his name.

Have you watched the trial? Amber seriously has a mental disorder and it’s hard to stomach all of her blatant lies. She’s disconnected from reality even when the facts are laid out before her.  

22 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think anyone dealing with a narcissistic BPD type feels like a winner here because Amber was on full display in court the past two days. Awesome. At least people playing at home can go, "See? Do you see what I am dealing with damnit?"

This right here. I’m not even a casual Johnny fan, but I am driven by feeling the wrath of someone who suffers from BPD/Bipolar disorder. People like this fuck your whole life up and mess with your head. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never experienced someone like this firsthand. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MrBig said:

Johnny already lost tons of money due to the abuse allegations so he might as well spend the rest to clear up his name.

Have you watched the trial? Amber seriously has a mental disorder and it’s hard to stomach all of her blatant lies. She’s disconnected from reality even when the facts are laid out before her.  

This right here. I’m not even a casual Johnny fan, but I am driven by feeling the wrath of someone who suffers from BPD/Bipolar disorder. People like this fuck your whole life up and mess with your head. It’s hard to explain if you’ve never experienced someone like this firsthand. 

I totally understand what you are saying. When you have a person like this in their life it is terrible. They admit to nothing. They are at fault for nothing. They lie easily. They are great at getting people to think they are a victim all of the time. They will throw everyone under the bus no matter who they are or how they are connected to them. The status of being seen as a victim or a Princess (Prince) by others is all that matters to them. I understand exactly what you are saying. It is a victory for those people who have someone in their lives like that and are watching Amber getting exposed repeatedly on cross and thinking..."This would never happen in front of their friends or family." Camille got her good the past two days. And for some of us dealing with a fucking person like Amber it was gratifying on some level to watch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder are not similar or even related. They are comorbid with some frequency.

You see them used somewhat interchangeably especially "bpd."

I am speaking of Dr. Curry's diagnosis of Amber (Borderline Personality Disorder with narcissistic tendencies.) Bipolar is a whole other thing. Amber is Borderline. And Dr. Curry gave the jury a playbook of precisely how she would act and testify on the stand under oath. And she got exposed. 

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder are not similar or even related. They are comorbid with some frequency.

You see them used somewhat interchangeably especially "bpd."

They didn’t call Amber bipolar but I mentioned it with BPD in the vein of “I remember when Texas/SMU football used to rule the world” in terms of dealing with a specific situation. 2 totally different things but their ups and downs can drag you to hell and back. I should have said and/or instead of putting the / between BPD and bipolar.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

He's an addle brained idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Deej said:

I think packing Hunter's ashes into some fireworks and shooting them hundreds of feet into the air out of a giant, two-thumbed fist counts as "space".

I keep seeing references to this but had never seen anything prior, what's the dealio here?

5 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I keep seeing references to this but had never seen anything prior, what's the dealio here?

The lawsuit said Depp spent $3 million to blast Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon, $18 million on a 150-foot yacht, $4 million on a failed record label and $30,000 a month on wine.

He also paid out $200,000 a month on private planes, $150,000 a month on round-the-clock security, and $300,000 a month to maintain a staff of 40 people.

The suit comes in response to Depp's own lawsuit on Jan. 13, which accused TMG of defrauding him out of tens of millions of dollars. Depp alleged that TMG had mismanaged his finances, took out loans without his approval, and hidden the perilous state of his affairs from him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/johnny-depp-spent-3m-blast-hunter-s-thompsons-ashes-out-n715231

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I am speaking of Dr. Curry's diagnosis of Amber (Borderline Personality Disorder with narcissistic tendencies.) Bipolar is a whole other thing. Amber is Borderline. And Dr. Curry gave the jury a playbook of precisely how she would act and testify on the stand under oath. And she got exposed. 

I got deep into your post about someone messing with your life and I threw bipolar in there from personal experience even though we are talking about BPD. They are very different things. I’ve dealt with both BPD & Bipolar and the emotional toll each takes is exhausting. Bipolar people are more of a management situation keeping you on your toes. BPD people suck you in and make you feel part of something bigger before crushing your soul. Both are a huge mindfuck and it’s so draining.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

There was a documentary where Hunter and Ralph Steadman discussed Hunter's will with a funeral home director. After Hunter's death, Johnny paid to fulfill Hunter's final wishes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

There was a documentary where Hunter and Ralph Steadman discussed Hunter's will with a funeral home director. After Hunter's death, Johnny paid to fulfill Hunter's final wishes. 

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Go to the 43:46 mark for the full bit from the documentary. 

Holy Moses, a fool and his monet, something, something....

39 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The lawsuit said Depp spent $3 million to blast Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon, $18 million on a 150-foot yacht, $4 million on a failed record label and $30,000 a month on wine.

He also paid out $200,000 a month on private planes, $150,000 a month on round-the-clock security, and $300,000 a month to maintain a staff of 40 people.

The suit comes in response to Depp's own lawsuit on Jan. 13, which accused TMG of defrauding him out of tens of millions of dollars. Depp alleged that TMG had mismanaged his finances, took out loans without his approval, and hidden the perilous state of his affairs from him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/johnny-depp-spent-3m-blast-hunter-s-thompsons-ashes-out-n715231

Always someone elses fault...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

She'll be the reason you need more blood. 

Okay...so here is the letter she admits she wrote to him...y'all are fucking crazy if you want to stick your stuff in that (go ahead and be my guest and I think the thread should be titled "I shouldn't have stuck my dick in that butt..."

"I fall more and more for you every day... True love isn't just about the madness of passion or instead picking the safety of peace. No — it's about having both. Falling madly in love with your friend. That is what has surprised me perhaps the most... that I have seen in you the true bones of friendship and respect. But of course, I still (more than ever) I want to rip you apart, devour you and savor the taste... fret not."

14 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

He's an addle brained idiot.

He was, at one time, a very good actor. Watch "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" or "Edward Scissorhands". He was fantastic in both. Also good as Hunter Thompson in Fear and Loathing.

Can't really speak for later stuff he did though. I think the only movie of his I've seen after Fear and Loathing was the first Pirates movie. Meh on that one.

edit to add: I got no dog in this shitshow. They both sound like horrible people. Based on the little I know (admittedly its only a little) it sounds like there was abuse, maybe not physical, but some of the stuff he has said/wrote/texted makes it hard to take his side.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How long generally are civil trials?  This seems like it's been going on way too long, but maybe it's just par for the course?  This one needs to wrap it especially when the end result win/lose nothing is going to change.

99.9% never go to court, so I guess the lawyers are using this as a practice game with the hope of bleeding everyone dry?

17 hours ago, royiv said:

I never really thought it was about the money for JD. Seems pretty obvious she's insolvent/judgment proof. I also didn't think there was any way JD could have won a defamation suit, which is extremely difficult to begin with, but also because the facts didn't appear that strong to begin with. Now, though, it certainly seems possible that the jury could find for him. But again, I don't think that's his real intention. He wanted to clear his name as a wife-abuser, and he has overwhelmingly convinced the majority of the public that he is not. Regardless of the verdict, he's going to get work again. And at least the first few are going to crush it in the box office.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

But again, I don't think that's his real intention. He wanted to clear his name as a wife-abuser, and he has overwhelmingly convinced the majority of the public that he is not. Regardless of the verdict, he's going to get work again. And at least the first few are going to crush it in the box office.

I think all of this is correct.

And I think it was the exact right thing for him to do.  Everybody already knew he was a heavy drug abuser, so there's no further damage done on that front.  If anything, people are probably shocked and impressed that he'd been as productive an actor as he has been.  So if he can clear his name as a wife abuser, then it's all upside for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I never really thought it was about the money for JD. Seems pretty obvious she's insolvent/judgment proof. I also didn't think there was any way JD could have won a defamation suit, which is extremely difficult to begin with, but also because the facts didn't appear that strong to begin with. Now, though, it certainly seems possible that the jury could find for him. But again, I don't think that's his real intention. He wanted to clear his name as a wife-abuser, and he has overwhelmingly convinced the majority of the public that he is not. Regardless of the verdict, he's going to get work again. And at least the first few are going to crush it in the box office.

Maybe if he lands in a Marvel movie or puts out a movie next week otherwise nobody is going to blindly see a Johnny Depp movie a year from now because of this trial.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He is a great actor.  His performance in Donnie Brasco was amazing.

He admitted while he mostly forgets the films he is in that was his favorite. He was amazing in that! Regardless, when then end of the movie comes along and Al Pacino takes off his rings. I still tear up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

He admitted while he mostly forgets the films he is in that was his favorite. He was amazing in that! Regardless, when then end of the movie comes along and Al Pacino takes off his rings. I still tear up. 

If it makes you feel better, in real life, Lefty was never killed. 

• Haha 1