Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

• 1 month later...

i was just watching the history of comedy on cnn, and this week's was about sketch and improv, and there were a couple short clips from mr show, which always reminds me to go watch the audition.  i watch it about once a year and i laugh at the same parts every single time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Security Consultant Mike was great.  At first, I'm like wtf, but then it clicked.  He wants to earn that check and put his name out there.

Spoiler

Jimmy's reaction after Howard confesses that he thinks he killed Chuck was priceless.  Even Kim is dumbfounded.  Excellent!

i'll say it: this show is slooooowwwww. trying to rewatch season three was a pain, because out of all of my favorite shows of all time this one has the least rewatchability. the tension in the scene that mounts is gone upon rewatching the show, and you realize that each episode is basically four or five dragged out scenes. this episode was a prime example. mike's bit was awesome, but the rest of the episode was a whole bunch of "meh". i'm still totally in, but i need to remind/prepare mused for the snail's pace that this show takes.

• Like 1

yeah the premiere was slow even by this show's standards.  i did like the opening and wonder if the cab driver was just another example of jimmy/saul/gene panicking for no reason or if there is something more there.

jimmy finally becoming saul because his brother kills himself and someone else believes he's at fault, absolving jimmy, does kind of seem like a solid enough reason for me.

18 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah the premiere was slow even by this show's standards.  i did like the opening and wonder if the cab driver was just another example of jimmy/saul/gene panicking for no reason or if there is something more there.

jimmy finally becoming saul because his brother kills himself and someone else believes he's at fault, absolving jimmy, does kind of seem like a solid enough reason for me.

From Sepinwall:

* Did the cabbie recognize Gene as Saul? One clue is that he was played by Don Harvey, a busy character actor (he’s one of the uniform cops on The Deuce), whom the production wouldn’t have spent money to fly in from out of town for a nothing part.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I loved Wexler's reaction to Jimmy's dagger response regarding a cross that Howard will have to bear.  Then Jimmy smiles when his back is turned.  He is becoming way less sympathetic.

Remind me, did she know that Jimmy dropped the bomb on the insurance company, which set that chain if events up?

14 hours ago, Pablo said:

Security Consultant Mike was great.  At first, I'm like wtf, but then it clicked.  He wants to earn that check and put his name out there.

Hide contents

Jimmy's reaction after Howard confesses that he thinks he killed Chuck was priceless.  Even Kim is dumbfounded.  Excellent!

Yep.  And if Mike is gonna go in deep with Lydia and Gus and Madrigal, he wants to make sure shit is locked down tight.  That was greatness.

What do we think about Victor seeing Nacho throwing the pills in the river?  Is this just showing how careful Gus is by tracking Nacho?  Or something more?

Spoiler

We know Nacho doesn't make it to Breaking Bad, although he is mentioned by Saul.  That's gotta be where this is heading.

7 hours ago, PilotsError said:

From Sepinwall:

* Did the cabbie recognize Gene as Saul? One clue is that he was played by Don Harvey, a busy character actor (he’s one of the uniform cops on The Deuce), whom the production wouldn’t have spent money to fly in from out of town for a nothing part.

I don't buy that as a clue. Maybe he's a huge fan, maybe he knows Vince, etc. there could be a million reasons why he played that part. And there have been plenty more famous actors doing cameos than that guy on other shows. Meh. 

And people calling the 1st episode slow? Have they not watched the first 3 seasons? 

Edited by JimmyHoffa
  • Like 1

maybe it seemed especially slow due to the somber, silent, and morose tone of the episode.  but they spent 3 minutes on jimmy's morning routine.  5 minutes of mike cruising around a factory.  not to mention the minute or two before that where fake walter white fixes a bike and fails to start a car.  and we didn't really need to see mike's granddaughter / DIL, although the not-quite soaker hoses were a nice touch.  just... lots of filler for the sake of art that to me fell a bit flat.

the people who run in here all upset that other people are pointing out how slow the show is are the worst. it happens in every thread for every tv show ever. fans of the show start to become vocally critical (for legitimate reasons) and the fanboi's can't handle it. we waited what felt like three years for that episode and the majority of it was filler. super slow, never-gonna-watch-again filler. this thread is not a safe space, nor is it a place where we convene to exclusively praise the show. that was a slow and mostly disappointing premier episode. don't freak out because everyone else isn't bending over backwards to come up with reasons why that was actually an amazing episode.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I mean, I'm not bailing or anything.  It's one of the best shows on TV, and it wasn't a waste of an hour.  It had some interesting parts.    But c'mon, that was a boring premiere.   It was slow, even by this show's standards. 

exactly. i'm not hating. if texas comes out against maryland and wins 22-7 with 11 total first downs and i say, "we'll that was a letdown" or "our offense wasn't great", it isn't hating on the team, and im not going to boycott the next game; just giving what i think is a factual recounting of events.

how much of last night's episode would enjoy upon watching it again? i think i could enjoy watching Mike's security scene one more time and that's it. and i don't think that this is some outrageous take. it was a slow, uneventful, relatively boring episode of a show that's already very slow by design to begin with. it's season 4; everyone who's posting in this thread is already aware of the tempo of the show, and we are fans. so it's not that anyone who was slightly critical about the episode just can't handle a slowly-paced, dialogue driven show- the shit just want that great. deal with it.

There are very few episodes in BCS that aren’t pretty slow paced which is why I don’t understand the bitching about it.

You can only have so many action filled episodes until it feels contrived like 24 or something. I will say they could get rid of the Mikes grandkid scenes altogether but I understand it’s there for a purpose, basically to give something that mike holds dear which can be used against him as leverage...

• Like 1