Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

I would think it's still the ex-fil guy because he has to know what somebody's real name is in order to scrub as much as he can before issuing new ID's.  At some point, for Bar Assoc. purposes, Jimmy does legally change his name to Saul Goodman.  But he's certainly still very well known as James McGill/Jimmy all throughout New Mexico.  Old apartment leases, car titles, paystubs, and lest we forget the guy shot multiple commercials so his name/face combo are a known commodity around ABQ/Sante Fe.  So I would think the ex-fil operator knows him as that.

The ex fil guy was a separate phone call.  The instruction he gave to the receptionist was specifically Jimmy, not Saul.  He wasn't sending her to get a new identity.  I think the whole point of the open was for that line.  Has to be someone we already know.  I can't re-watch but I'm 90 percent sure he was sending her to lawyers.  "Talk to my lawyer."

• Like 1

Great Oscar pick in "Howard's End".  Has to do with some wills & estates issues, appropriate for the phone call Jimmy gets.  Also, it appears as if we are actually seeing the beginning of the end of Howard Hamlin.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Also, it appears as if we are actually seeing the beginning of the end of Howard Hamlin.  

I think Jimmy did Howard a solid. Sure he hates the guy, but it really hurt him to see HHM swirling down the toilet. He knew which buttons to push to restoke Howard's furnace.

They shoulda taken the deal. HUELL!!! 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

the gus fring speech was hackneyed and had me rolling my eyes

https://uproxx.com/tv/better-call-saul-pinata-true-statements/

5. Gus practiced that speech he gave to Hector

bcs6-gus.jpg?quality=95&w=650

I know it. He had to. Have you ever tried giving a speech that long, complete with a story about your youth, just off the top of your head? It’s impossible. You’d be all “Wait. Crap. Did I explain the tree well enough? Let me try again. You really need to understand the tree to get all of this.” Especially with the delivery like that, with the building menace. Gus is cool and calculated and scary but I know he practiced that speech before he delivered it in that hospital room. I like to picture him in the car on the way over there, sitting in the back, looking over his note cards, asking his driver if he should cut the line about smelling like hay. Or like him reading a book titled like “Evil Monologues: How a Simple Story From Your Youth Can Intimidate Your Nemesis.” Something like that.

But I guess that’s not the real takeaway here. And the real takeaway is also not the thing where Gus’s decision to keep Hector alive would eventually lead to his downfall, his own cruelty resulting in half of his face melting off in a nursing home, even if the close-up on the finger that would eventually ding the bell of doom would like us all to believe it. No, the real takeaway here is that Gus was a terrifying child. 

Jesus Christ.

19 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

the gus fring speech was hackneyed and had me rolling my eyes, but the episode closed out very strong with some jimmy justice. was that huell btw? i couldn't tell. also, next week's episode looks promising.

it wasn't terrible, but yeah, i see what you're saying.  it's a little different because we know how it ends (as that link mentions).

ever since mike's "half-measures" speech, they've been trying to recreate it.  even cranston tried to mimic something similar in sneaky pete, and it was about the worst thing i've ever seen a good actor do.  went on and on and on, with zero intent and less of a point made.  it was the opposite of memorable, as tv scenes go.

i could watch a spin-off the 6-8 months of mike supervising the germans.

the jimmy-kim split has been coming on forever, so i'm glad they finally got there.  the transformation is almost complete.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it wasn't terrible, but yeah, i see what you're saying.  it's a little different because we know how it ends (as that link mentions).

ever since mike's "half-measures" speech, they've been trying to recreate it.  even cranston tried to mimic something similar in sneaky pete, and it was about the worst thing i've ever seen a good actor do.  went on and on and on, with zero intent and less of a point made.  it was the opposite of memorable, as tv scenes go.

i could watch a spin-off the 6-8 months of mike supervising the germans.

the jimmy-kim split has been coming on forever, so i'm glad they finally got there.  the transformation is almost complete.

absolutely. and our boy kai might want to tread lightly going forward. 

Just watched. 

Can't believe people were saying last week's episode was one of the best. I appreciate the slow grind of the show more than many it would seem but last week in particular....nothing at all happened. I mean nothing. 

This week's episode was a lot of fun. Some good Mike. Some good Jimmy. Some good Howard. Some Gus, some Germans. Some planting of the Jimmy/Kimmy spllit. We can see where this thing is heading and what adventures might await us. I liked this week's episode a lot more than last weeks. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

F-bombs have been flying freely in a lot of cable shows lately. Snowfall must have at least 10 per episode. 

This issue came up during the "People vs. OJ" series when Sarah Paulson dropped the F-bomb.  Seipenwall addressed it... The interesting thing is that all cable networks could basically do what HBO does -- F-bombs, boobs, etc.; they don't have to obey any FCC "standards" because they aren't governed by the FCC in that way like the traditional over-the-air broadcast networks are.  Essentially they've always just shied away from profanity, nudity, etc., because their advertisers didn't want them to do it.

HBO obviously has no advertiser concerns so they've never worried about it.  I guess what happens now is that a lot of the "prestige" shows can do it because the advertisers don't mind because they know that the audience for those shows is largely older, more affluent, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these shows goes the nudity route at some point. 

Edited by oSuJeff97

14 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He's gonna end up in the concrete of the lab.

I'm not sure.

I feel like the Kai thing was a little too "on the nose."  It would be more interesting to set him up as the "trouble maker" but then he ends up being some kind of great problem solver or something.

48 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This issue came up during the "People vs. OJ" series when Sarah Paulson dropped the F-bomb.  Seipenwall addressed it... The interesting thing is that all cable networks could basically do what HBO does -- F-bombs, boobs, etc.; they don't have to obey any FCC "standards" because they aren't governed by the FCC in that way like the traditional over-the-air broadcast networks are.  Essentially they've always just shied away from profanity, nudity, etc., because their advertisers didn't want them to do it.

HBO obviously has no advertiser concerns so they've never worried about it.  I guess what happens now is that a lot of the "prestige" shows can do it because the advertisers don't mind because they know that the audience for those shows is largely older, more affluent, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these shows goes the nudity route at some point. 

Yellowstone on Paramount Network has already broken that barrier. 

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I felt like the last two episodes have been outstanding.  the pieces are coming together nicely, and it's getting really fun to watch.

Agreed.  The last two have been exceptional.  

Do we know what the writers have in mind for the end date of BCS?  They’re obviously not ones to milk a series (see: B.B.) however I can’t help but get the feeling next season may be its last.  

15 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

F-bombs have been flying freely in a lot of cable shows lately. Snowfall must have at least 10 per episode. 

It's always fun when they come back from commercial with the "scenes intended for mature audiences" and you know some vulgarities are going to be flying around!

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

So.. anyone wonder how those young punks are getting down?

Huell can hang tight in a hotel room in perpetuity, those little fuckers can hang tight in a pinata store for a few days.  Don't start no shit, won't be no shit.  

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't remember it from watching it round one, but Breaking Bad had some boobs in the scene where there was a drug bust at that house and Jessie climbed out the neighbors window when I rewatched it on Netflix.  Was it in originally or added later?  Or was it edited out round one when it was on on AMC?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I don't remember it from watching it round one, but Breaking Bad had some boobs in the scene where there was a drug bust at that house and Jessie climbed out the neighbors window when I rewatched it on Netflix.  Was it in originally or added later?  Or was it edited out round one when it was on on AMC?

it definitely wasn't added later, because that's not something that happens.  i would assume it was in the first cut, likely on purpose to get s&p at amc to look past some of the language and violence.

I only watched Breaking Bad on Netflix (never got into it originally, binged it last summer), and there was a lot of language/nudity that was probably blurred out or "silenced" when it was on AMC.  I know the scene with Jesse at the strip club in one of the first seasons had a ton of boobage in it, that I am sure was cut out when it was on cable.

11 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Exactly, cable shows have always had the ability to do what they want if they aren't  concerned with pissing off advertisers.  I remember we saw some glorious boobs in the first season of The Americans.  Nip Tuck was the first standard cable show I remember to breach this imaginary line. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Nip Tuck was the first standard cable show I remember to breach this imaginary line. 

Not sure I’d really count boobs getting cut open during surgery.  Not judging but that just doesn’t really do it for me.  Christian snorting lines of blow off Kimber’s tight ass on the other hand...