Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This show is great, particularly the last 3 episodes. I really enjoy how it’s leaning into the ridiculous-ness.

Kendall was a horrible character to watch in the first few episodes. Now, he’s a hero. I’m going to enjoy watching him go scorched earth.

“Ketamine.”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yep! He’s a pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I must have watched a different episode as I found the whole bachelor party story boring.    I guess it set up Kendall's fight to take over the company again, and we see that the Culkin guy has some trauma from being locked up, so perhaps his behavior stems from that.    Kendall and Tom never looked weaker with Tom having to call Shiv constantly and Kendall begging the art company to take his money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

only thing that bugged me is why even take the meeting with kendall if you knew his last name?  was it just to tell him to fuck off?  they referred to him as "hitler" more than once.  makes no sense to even be associated with considering him if that's how you and your people feel.

drama for drama's sake in tv shows doesn't do it for me (outside of bachelor in paradise).

Link to post
Share on other sites

^

good question.  I’m guessing they took the meeting so they could go off and tell their friends they said no to a Roy, and even called what he represents ‘hitler’ to his face.  And they can all go back across the bridge to Williamsburg and riff about it .

but In real life, they wouldn’t do that because it gets out to other equity LP’s that this startup takes Meetings just to fuck with people and claim moral high ground and the flow of cash would stop immediately because no LP in Manhattan with they kinda capital wants their laundry aired in hipster public.  

The plotlines are just plain silly but the acting is just decent enough and the dialogue is great.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

yep, agreed.  just seems lazy.  would've been more interesting if kendall had a previous meeting with the old fired dude (can't remember his name) and was like, "keep my name out of it, low profile, set up what you can, and i'll drop by the meeting."  then, after loving the proposal, kendall popped in, and they were like, "wait, aren't you kendall roy?"  to which he would explain that he's not really a "roy" and that they should hear him out, etc.

it's like these people know they're poison (to a lot of the public) but continue to act shocked when they get treated as such.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It works in the sense that it's a two-dimensional look at how inherited wealth struggles in the business world, but yes, it's a lazy show.  For the most part, I think the talent is up to the task, but I'm not sure how difficult that task really is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 12:05 PM, Lobo said:

but In real life, they wouldn’t do that because it gets out to other equity LP’s that this startup takes Meetings just to fuck with people and claim moral high ground and the flow of cash would stop immediately because no LP in Manhattan with they kinda capital wants their laundry aired in hipster public.

All of this, plus it's not the greatest idea to make an enemy of a coked up multi-millionaire who really hasn't got a lot to occupy his time.  He might make it a point to hurt you by, for example, calling Frank at the end of the episode and telling him to spread damaging rumors about them.

Edited by TriStone
Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife thinks he’s gay, but whatever the case, there’s clearly something they are hinting at. He does like to be roughed up by his trainer.

i know this show isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m still loving the hell out of it, and find it hilarious  Tom and Greg are a great pairing.

By the way, the actress playing Siobhan is way younger in real life than she carries herself IMO. She just turned 31 a few days ago. 

I’m kinda thinking Sandy Furness and Senator Gil are somehow aligned, and Waystar Royco will be virtually worthless by the end of the finale (maybe the cruise ship thing gets out and cripples the stock). I know it doesn’t make sense for Furness to intentionally lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but he may want to destroy Logan Roy just enough (and has been pointed out by the detractors, the show doesn’t always adhere to how things would really work in corporate America). We know Gil wants Logan crushed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

The wife thinks he’s gay, but whatever the case, there’s clearly something they are hinting at. He does like to be roughed up by his trainer.

i know this show isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m still loving the hell out of it, and find it hilarious  Tom and Greg are a great pairing.

By the way, the actress playing Siobhan is way younger in real life than she carries herself IMO. She just turned 31 a few days ago. 

I’m kinda thinking Sandy Furness and Senator Gil are somehow aligned, and Waystar Royco will be virtually worthless by the end of the finale (maybe the cruise ship thing gets out and cripples the stock). I know it doesn’t make sense for Furness to intentionally lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but he may want to destroy Logan Roy just enough (and has been pointed out by the detractors, the show doesn’t always adhere to how things would really work in corporate America). We know Gil wants Logan crushed. 

Shiv is going to give the cruise ship thing to Gil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if Gil has the details yet, but they are certainly already using the cruise ship scandal as currency to keep the network from ripping Gil once the primaries are over. 

Cruise ship storyline ain’t over, due to Greg’s copying of the papers. 

Edited by Vito Andolini
Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Greg, nothing seemingly came of him coming across the meeting in Central Park between the Stewie and Sandy Furness? Was that simply foreshadowing? Every other time Greg has stumbled into something it’s circled back to him getting wrapped up in associated events.

Anyway, this show is solid. Certainly think some tuning is in order for Season 2, but I’ve enjoyed the ride thus far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Brian Cox is only about 10 years older than he is in real life plus plays his father.  You're right though...he was 29 when Ferris Bueller's Day Off came out.  And I was fucking 10.  Makes me feel really old this morning.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 4:51 PM, Vito Andolini said:

The wife thinks he’s gay, but whatever the case, there’s clearly something they are hinting at. He does like to be roughed up by his trainer.

i know this show isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m still loving the hell out of it, and find it hilarious  Tom and Greg are a great pairing.

By the way, the actress playing Siobhan is way younger in real life than she carries herself IMO. She just turned 31 a few days ago. 

I’m kinda thinking Sandy Furness and Senator Gil are somehow aligned, and Waystar Royco will be virtually worthless by the end of the finale (maybe the cruise ship thing gets out and cripples the stock). I know it doesn’t make sense for Furness to intentionally lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but he may want to destroy Logan Roy just enough (and has been pointed out by the detractors, the show doesn’t always adhere to how things would really work in corporate America). We know Gil wants Logan crushed. 

I’m with you. Love the show. Kendall Roy is very relatable and likable to me as a recovering cokehead. There are small nuggets that I love like him saying the words like “the shiz” and “dude” in a professional setting, him looking like a fool on a conference call with the lender after he cusses the other guy out, him buying Lanvin sneakers to look cool to the cokewhores wanting VC, his buddy Stewy and loved the scene with Greg and Tom after Greg wanted to celebrate at CPK. great show second only to Cobra Kai as best of 2018.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that has become clear is that I don't think Adam McKay knows shit about "big business" or the markets.  Any credibility he acquired on that front with the Big Short was directly attributable to Michael Lewis and the source material.  This is close-ish, but far enough off on accuracy to be somewhat bothersome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

One thing that has become clear is that I don't think Adam McKay knows shit about "big business" or the markets.  Any credibility he acquired on that front with the Big Short was directly attributable to Michael Lewis and the source material.  This is close-ish, but far enough off on accuracy to be somewhat bothersome.

He didn't write the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Huge fan of Alan Ruck.

Of course he will always be known as Cameron, but he also put in some solid work on Spin City back in the day, as well as bit parts in Twister and Speed.

LET MY CAMERON GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

“We’re at the airport.”

”Yeah, so what?”

”I’ve already seen the airport.”

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Absolutely agree on those points. The last 10 minutes were truly powerful.
Lots of subtext in the “you’re my boy” line.

Logan is a master manipulator, in that he’s hamstrung all those around them so that they’ll always be dependent on him in one way or another. He’s made them weak so that he can remain strong.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Even so, as EP and occasional director, if he knew his subject matter very well, one might think he would have forced a rewrite on the boardroom scene, for example.

Meh. You’re not the only one who’s been in similar settings. It doesn’t bother me.  The show is awesome. If I wanted a technically sound rendering of board room and business drama, I’d go read an investigative write up by The Economist or the latest transcripts from a GE quarterly call. You should get over it and stop harping on it, or stop watching the show. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. You’re not the only one who’s been in similar settings. It doesn’t bother me.  The show is awesome. If I wanted a technically sound rendering of board room and business drama, I’d go read an investigative write up by The Economist or the latest transcripts from a GE quarterly call. You should get over it and stop harping on it, or stop watching the show. 

Or you could read everything Lewis or Kurt Eichenwald has written concerning business, Barbarians at the Gate, Smartest Guys in the Room, etc.  Business drama and even comedy can be done without grotesque inaccuracy for the sake of drama.  I am willing to suspend reality, but I find it somewhat irksome that it is set in what pretends to be a realistic milieu and then throws realism out the window.  It doesn't ruin the show for me, it's just irritating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed the finale. Stayed riveted the whole episode.

  • Man, did Tom ever step up.
  • I didn't feel the least bit sentimental about the ending, and i cry all the time watching movies and TV. I didn't think for a second, Logan's motivations at the end were anything more than self serving and saving his company. 
  • Roman is such a joke that i find it difficult to imagine anyone trusting him with anything of any importance. I wish the writers could keep the snark, but at least make his involvement in the family business a bit more plausible.
  • Conner's President thing was kind of silly., I didn't really see the point in it.
  • The Shiv/Tom scene in the bedroom was extremely well written.
  • Kendall's long walk to deliver the bear hug letter was really well done.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

^^^ Absolutely agree on those points. The last 10 minutes were truly powerful.
Lots of subtext in the “you’re my boy” line.

Logan is a master manipulator, in that he’s hamstrung all those around them so that they’ll always be dependent on him in one way or another. He’s made them weak so that he can remain strong.

Agreed on the second paragraph. All his kids are weak. I don’t know how the scene at the end was touching in any way. It was yet another example of Logan exerting his power over his kids. 

This show is okay. It’s definitely entertaining. The holes in the plot with respect to business detract way too much for it to be a great show. Totally agreed with Twice Horn on his point (no idea if it’s McKay or not). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Really enjoyed the finale. Stayed riveted the whole episode.

  • Man, did Tom ever step up.
  • I didn't feel the least bit sentimental about the ending, and i cry all the time watching movies and TV. I didn't think for a second, Logan's motivations at the end were anything more than self serving and saving his company. 
  • Roman is such a joke that i find it difficult to imagine anyone trusting him with anything of any importance. I wish the writers could keep the snark, but at least make his involvement in the family business a bit more plausible.
  • Conner's President thing was kind of silly., I didn't really see the point in it.
  • The Shiv/Tom scene in the bedroom was extremely well written.
  • Kendall's long walk to deliver the bear hug letter was really well done.

Totally agreed with everything you said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Really enjoyed the finale. Stayed riveted the whole episode.

  • Man, did Tom ever step up.
  • I didn't feel the least bit sentimental about the ending, and i cry all the time watching movies and TV. I didn't think for a second, Logan's motivations at the end were anything more than self serving and saving his company. 
  • Roman is such a joke that i find it difficult to imagine anyone trusting him with anything of any importance. I wish the writers could keep the snark, but at least make his involvement in the family business a bit more plausible.
  • Conner's President thing was kind of silly., I didn't really see the point in it.
  • The Shiv/Tom scene in the bedroom was extremely well written.
  • Kendall's long walk to deliver the bear hug letter was really well done.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Thought the finale was really well done.  The only thing that I also didn't like was Conner's President thing.  They should have left it alone after his hilarious interaction with the Bernie Sanders guy when he thought he "took him down in a debate" or whatever.  We get it.  Conner is a buffoon.  Him walking around telling people he decided he wants to be president was a little much.

As for the Boardroom stuff... I'm with you guys in that a lot of it is completely ludicrous, but I think the idea is that (1) Logan is the type of guy who would completely ignore proper corporate governance and do whatever the hell he wants because it's "his company" (even though it is publicly traded company) and (2) there are very few people in general who would know/understand that a lot of the stuff is wrong so they let it go in the name of amping up the drama.

Edited by oSuJeff97
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Or you could read everything Lewis or Kurt Eichenwald has written concerning business, Barbarians at the Gate, Smartest Guys in the Room, etc.  Business drama and even comedy can be done without grotesque inaccuracy for the sake of drama.  I am willing to suspend reality, but I find it somewhat irksome that it is set in what pretends to be a realistic milieu and then throws realism out the window.  It doesn't ruin the show for me, it's just irritating.

Yeah, I've read them all and refer to them often in my thinking or experiences. James Stewart as well, since you're in to that stuff. My point stands - the show is awesome even with the inaccuracies. My wife and I discussed the boardroom scene after that episode and sighed about it for 2 minutes and then moved on. It's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme about whether the show is enjoyable or not and most folks wouldn't know one or another anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I've read them all and refer to them often in my thinking or experiences. James Stewart as well, since you're in to that stuff. My point stands - the show is awesome even with the inaccuracies. My wife and I discussed the boardroom scene after that episode and sighed about it for 2 minutes and then moved on. It's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme about whether the show is enjoyable or not and most folks wouldn't know one or another anyway. 

It’s not stopping my entertainment. It is detracting from the greatness of the show for sure. I’m rolling with it. I imagine Twice is too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Then quit watching. Jesus the board room was one part of one episode.

Finale was great. The launch watching scene in the bathroom had me rolling.

Roman is awesome.  Somehow his overblown half-ass caricature of a fuck up doesn't overwhelm the show.

 

I particularly lol'd at Kendall's dress down of his siblings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not sure calamari cock ring is particularly subtle there Mojo. 

Touche.  What I mean, though, is that while the characters themselves say funny things, there's also a lot of subtlety in its parody of the character types.  Just little things like Connor chatting with Nate about his presidential prospects, or quickly adding "and I don't want to pay taxes" at the end of discussing his principles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Greg started out as the fuck up character but ended up the one who saves it?  If he had not told Kendall about the help smoking weed then he would have not got in that mess with that kid.  Along with that how he saved the copies of the documents, more to possibly come on those.  When Kendall seemed to have gotten away with it in his mind I and was dancing with his family I thought please don't let this be a dream sequence then bam he woke up, but of course it wasn't a dream.  A really great ending when they seemed to have so many things to tie up.  They did a good job of making characters evolve from hated to sympathetic or vice versa.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not digging it all that much.  

EDIT:  should have spoilered some of this:

Spoiler

 

- I assume the dead waiter was still buckled in his seat?  How do they explain no driver AND Kendall's room key?  Did the waiter get free but still drown?

- the writing on Kendall is all over the map.  At times he approaches a fuck-it-all type A entrepreneur who is out to conquer, and then he'll turn into a complete pussy.  Last scene was the worst.

- Logan is equally bipolar.  Pick a theme and stick with it, or write better human beings.

- come on, "President"?

- two thumbs?  Really?  We're recycling THAT joke?

 

That said,

- I continue to remain completely smitten with Shiv.  Great combination of writing, delivery, and in a very odd way, looks.

 

 

Edited by jimmyjazz
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...