Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Any suggestions or recommendations for the sort of console organizer/storage bin/cup holder setup that used to be common back before cup holders and console storage became standard interior design? Something with a compartment/garbage bucket and that kind of sits atop the transmission tunnel is all I'm after - you probably know what I mean. 

I have been to a couple of auto parts stores and they don't seem to be a very popular product any longer, for obvious reasons. And I can't even find anything suitable on Amazon. All I really need is something with cup holders and a space to toss a cell phone charger and other piddly shit. 

Also, any suggestions for a cell phone holder/mount? 

A few pictures of the space I'm working with, along with the kind of Igloo product that I originally had in mind - these shits are going for $120-150 on eBay, and for that kind of money, I can get one to match the vinyl of the seats. I'm leaning towards something from this outfit anyway, but if I could find something else for less than $50, that's preferable. 

For whatever it's worth, I have the ashtray but need to figure out why it's not sliding back into its housing snugly - hasn't been my top priority in getting things up and running...

Screenshot_20210519-151159_Google.jpg

20210519_140356.jpg

20210519_140406.jpg

20210519_140419.jpg

20210519_140429.jpg

17 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Nice work on the Blazer.  Kilmat or Noico seem to be popular choices for people who don't want to overpay for Dynamat.  Doing the doors, roof and sides underneath those trim panels too?  

I did do the doors and under the rear trim panels.  I won't do the roof since I don't want to redo the headliner up front.  This thing will be a weekend warrior at best so I won't go too crazy on it.  I already have new carpet and newish original seats and seat belts to put back in eventually.

16 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I prefer/need something that sits on the floor and perches atop the transmission tunnel. 

The car, a '71 Skylark convertible, has been restored. Dad bought someone else's completed project back in 1983 or 84 - weird to have been restored already at that point, but this car is full of surprises. For instance, I suspect that it's got Thunderbird seats in it for some reason, so the original measurements/tolerances are presumably off. Plus, there's not too much room between the seats, and I've already got a central arm rest. 

I'm fine with ordering a little box from the shop that I linked above, but was curious if anyone else has found a cheaper and easier alternative. 

20210519_204517.jpg

20210519_204547.jpg

6 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

That is a console for the trans tunnel, more for true bucket seats but that is where it goes.

Agreed - I wasn't very clear. That style looks like something that goes in the "X" area here (the mention of an armrest feature seems definitive, and the size certainly looks like it belongs wedged between two seats), not in the "O" area that I'm aiming for. 

But I'll take some measurements and see if that (or something else from that outfit) might work somehow, even if it's not quite what I had in mind. 

One of those dippy plastic Igloo things would be fine, but nobody seems to make them anymore, and I don't want to spend $125 buying old crap of this nature off of eBay or Etsy or whatever. 

20210519_211702.jpg

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Agreed - I wasn't very clear. That style looks like something that goes in the "X" area here (the mention of an armrest feature seems definitive, and the size certainly looks like it belongs wedged between two seats), not in the "O" area that I'm aiming for. 

But I'll take some measurements and see if that (or something else from that outfit) might work somehow, even if it's not quite what I had in mind. 

One of those dippy plastic Igloo things would be fine, but nobody seems to make them anymore, and I don't want to spend $125 buying old crap of this nature off of eBay or Etsy or whatever. 

20210519_211702.jpg

Are people actually paying $125 in an actual auction, or is it people listing things with a buy it now price?

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The world has gone mad. 

Screenshot_20210519-213633_eBay.jpg

Let me head over to my parent’s place.  They don’t throw anything away, ever, and I have a vague recollection of them having something similar in an old Cutlass when I was young.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Let me head over to my parent’s place.  They don’t throw anything away, ever, and I have a vague recollection of them having something similar in an old Cutlass when I was young.

Awesome - thanks! 

And I have a recollection of one in an old Cutlass too... 

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Don't bust your ass on my account - it's fine if you don't have the time to search (or if the search takes so long that you elect to put it on eBay instead!) 

I have to head over there in the next few days anyway.  Their dog had explosive diarrhea on the rug in their bedroom and ruined the rug.  They cut away the soiled areas, but their bed weighs a metric fuckton, and neither of them can move it to dispose of what remains of the old rug and get the newly purchased rug in place.  I’m not real sure I can either, but the BIL is on notice that his help may be required.  I’ll take a gander around the hoarders garage and if I spot it, it’s yours if you’ll Venmo me the cost of shipping it to you.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Sorry to hear of the circumstances that lead you to your visit - if you find it, please don't fill the cooler with dog diarrhea before mailing it to me! 

If I send someone dogshit, I use a paper bag, and personally deliver it to their front porch.

16 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I have to head over there in the next few days anyway.  Their dog had explosive diarrhea on the rug in their bedroom and ruined the rug.  They cut away the soiled areas, but their bed weighs a metric fuckton, and neither of them can move it to dispose of what remains of the old rug and get the newly purchased rug in place.  I’m not real sure I can either, but the BIL is on notice that his help may be required.  I’ll take a gander around the hoarders garage and if I spot it, it’s yours if you’ll Venmo me the cost of shipping it to you.

You should check the weight of their mattress to see if they need to replace it. I’m sure someone around here has a scale you could use. 

• Haha 2

Enjoying watching the Mecam Auction in Indy right now. I can’t afford any of these cars. Love to see a 1967 Impala or same year Plymouth Fury show up. That’s incredible what Big Oly went for. Hope this was the correct place to post. 😁🤘🏼

On 5/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

https://www.highwaystars.net/floor-console-lowrider-with-cup-holders-fits-on-transmission-hump-in-front-of-bench-seat-1949-1995-universal/

This is probably something like what I'd use in your situation.  Those old ones look pretty cheesy.  I like that one is vinyl covered or at least looks that way instead of hard molded plastic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Yeah, this outfit was my plan if something cheaper and easier didn't work out, but I also like the look of the ones from the first place you linked. 

I just bought a $10 piece of shit console from Menard's that will get me through for the time being, so @conVINCEd can hold off on digging through his parents' garage this weekend.

And a few pictures with the top down after coming back from the detailer. I've put about a hundred miles on it this week - really pleasant to cruise around in. My mom always said that driving this car is like being on vacation, and I couldn't agree more... 

20210521_152843.jpg

20210521_152855.jpg

20210521_154847.jpg

20210521_152922.jpg

20210521_154918.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

It was restored in 1983 or 84. It's got a 3.8L Buick V6 in it from about 1983, and my guy suspects that it was originally a Canadian market engine because it has a droopy-looking design to some part somewhere, whereas the US market version is straighter ('this engine has the limp, floppy dick-looking part, not the hardon version' is how he explained it...). 

Since the current engine is so much lighter than the original V8, and it still has the original springs, it rides a little high up front. That's something that I have always noticed about the car (been in my family since 1984) but never realized why until recently. Now I'm debating whether to put shorter springs in so it's a bit lower, but that's a project for next spring, if at all - going to mull it over for the summer... 

And the interior was mostly originally blue. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

If you want to research suspension stuff Chevelles.com is a great resource. I’m sure Buick has a similar message board but I suspect the Chevelle version has more activity and of course it’s all the same underneath.  From tubular control arms, bigger sway bars, taller ball joints, lowering springs, after market spindles, etc there’s a lot that can be done to improve the geometry of the suspension. 

My 67 Chevelle convertible is going pretty stock to start with. I boxed the rear control arms many years ago and added Helwig anti sway bars front and rear.  Powder coated the front A arms, stock replacement bushings etc.  I converted the front drums to 11 inch GM disk brakes many years ago. Still has drums in the rear. Thinking about converting them to f body disks for looks mainly but I’m ok with rear drums too. For now I want to keep the 15 inch rally wheels. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Beautiful Riviera.  Always loved the styling of those cars.  

Thanks. It was my grandfather's. He bought it new. He had great taste in cars, but, was notorious for not taking care of them.

He had a '61 Continental as well, a Buick Wildcat too, among a shit ton of others. He was going to give this car to my brother, who just happens to be the world's worst driver. It's a good thing he lives in Taiwan and does not have a car. Anyway, my dad and I convinced my grandfather that giving it to my older (by four years) brother would be a mistake as he had already had a few wrecks, one of which is one I related in the shit that has happened to you thread, where my forehead hit the windshield and my forehead was sliced off by the glass.

But, we saved it from being given to my brother. I used to park that car all over the place. Now I don't park it anywhere that I am not near. When at Pitt I used to park it on Fifth Avenue and Forbes Avenue, the two major roads going through that part of Pittsburgh, all the time and never thought anything about it.

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

Not a big fan of green but that color rocks!

The color of said car is a bit of a funny story. The original color, which you see there, is Olive Gold Metallic. My grandfather, who never took care of cars, had it repainted once by Earl Scheib, I'll Paint Any Car Any Color For $29.99. So when I got the car, as an idiot 15-year old, I took it from Earl Scheib's interpretation of Olive Gold Metallic, which wasn't even close, to black. I also had the original Lime Green vinyl top taken off because water was getting underneath and turning to rust.

Years ago I decided that the car should be taken back to original color, and that is what I did. I couldn't find a Lime Green top so I picked that Sand-type color. I think it works.

Olive Gold Metallic was only on the Buick Riviera in 1968 so that is why I insisted on taking it back to the original. 

I love that car. The only thing I did not keep were my grandfather's tobacco stains from when he'd spit "juice" out the driver's side window.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Beautiful day up here so I figured I'd get the Riviera out and give it a wash and a drive. Made an appointment for it to have an inspection as well. I never understood the rationale for not having 50-year old cars, and older, getting a look over just because it is not mandatory.

0255363A-9530-4008-8FBF-E840060AC588_1_105_c.jpeg

E5403E15-20C7-4071-94EB-5BB7AE0964F9_1_105_c.jpeg

4600B739-A784-4980-BC61-F5C7B2FD7D85_1_105_c.jpeg

More pics of the 993! 

For some reason I thought your Buick's stablemate was a 997.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, this outfit was my plan if something cheaper and easier didn't work out, but I also like the look of the ones from the first place you linked. 

I just bought a $10 piece of shit console from Menard's that will get me through for the time being, so @conVINCEd can hold off on digging through his parents' garage this weekend.

And a few pictures with the top down after coming back from the detailer. I've put about a hundred miles on it this week - really pleasant to cruise around in. My mom always said that driving this car is like being on vacation, and I couldn't agree more... 

20210521_152843.jpg

20210521_152855.jpg

20210521_154847.jpg

20210521_152922.jpg

20210521_154918.jpg

Glad you found something.  I’m going to get into the garage anyway to determine the exact size and scope of what I will have to deal with when the inevitable happens.  Hopefully this is very advanced planning.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

More pics of the 993! 

For some reason I thought your Buick's stablemate was a 997.

Nope, mine is a 1998. I almost, a couple years back, bought a 2010.  It seemed so sterile compared to the one I did get.

It’s a great little car. I decided upon that engine/gearbox/top as the deciding factors, had to be a cabriolet, had to be manual and had to be air-cooled.

Don’t get me wrong, I love them all but, I really wanted what, as a little boy, I fell in love with. I’d actually like to get older models too, if I had space to park them/it.

5 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

20210521_152843.jpg

20210521_152855.jpg

20210521_154847.jpg

20210521_152922.jpg

20210521_154918.jpg

That is really sharp. I’ve often wished that Buick had made a convertible option for my year Riviera as I think it would have been stunning.

18 hours ago, Lhorn said:

If you want to research suspension stuff Chevelles.com is a great resource. I’m sure Buick has a similar message board but I suspect the Chevelle version has more activity and of course it’s all the same underneath.  From tubular control arms, bigger sway bars, taller ball joints, lowering springs, after market spindles, etc there’s a lot that can be done to improve the geometry of the suspension. 

My 67 Chevelle convertible is going pretty stock to start with. I boxed the rear control arms many years ago and added Helwig anti sway bars front and rear.  Powder coated the front A arms, stock replacement bushings etc.  I converted the front drums to 11 inch GM disk brakes many years ago. Still has drums in the rear. Thinking about converting them to f body disks for looks mainly but I’m ok with rear drums too. For now I want to keep the 15 inch rally wheels. 

My new ‘67 Chevelle coupe was the best GM car we ever owned... ($2,685 new at Glosserman Motors, Lockhart)

Easter, 1968:

B7F80E07-B408-452C-99EC-8F54BFB6A767.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1