Posted (edited)

Most of the time when I see a snek, it's scurrying off away from me about as fast as it can go.  Sometimes on a parallel path, but diverging.

Two or three times now I have encountered a snek (the above nerodia and what I believe to have been a rat snek) stretched out across the trail and going nowhere on my approach and taking quite a bit of coaxing to get moving.  All of these have been when it's pretty hot, so cold lethargy not really an explanation.  No evidence of injury.

The copperheads, which I see most frequently, tend not to do this.  If they don't haul ass on approach, they will with some dirt or a stick tossed toward them.  Which is nice, because I wouldn't want to have to go around them like I did Mr. Nerodia.

Is there some explanation I'm not thinking of?

Edited by TwiceHorn

I think some species are very reliant on camouflage and rather than take their chances fleeing a potential predator decide to stay still in the hope not be scene. That’s my guess. I am obviously anthropomorphizing a bit.

Could be the snake had just eaten and is using the radiant warmth to expedite digestion.

This is one of the most important factors that affect the digestive process in snakes. Their internal body temperature is affected by the atmospheric temperature, and they require warm temperature for proper digestion. This is the reason why snakes are found basking in the Sun after having a very large meal. Another technique is to coil up the body to conserve heat. It is said that a temperature range of 28 to 30°C (82 to 86°F) is ideal for digestion in snakes. Sometimes, the snake may expel the swallowed prey, if the temperature is very low. It has been observed that a considerable drop in temperature may be the reason for fasting, practiced by some snakes from late fall to early spring.

https://animalsake.com/how-snakes-digest-their-food

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s badass Hulla.

Neighbor’s boa shed:

65108c4afc322bd3db16f219eaffd156.jpg

Where'd that guy get one of my condoms? 

18 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That is bad ass, @hullabelew.

King snake isn't gonna need to eat for months--that copperhead looks at least as big as it!

Which prompts a question.  How does snek eat snek of near-equal length?  Have mom cut it into pieces?

Posted (edited)

This is a complete csb, but I had a badass picture on a game cam from one of the RANCH water troughs. It was a giant coachwhip. The water trough is 6' long and the snake was laying on the rim almost the entire length with another foot in the water drinking/chilling. It was by far the biggest coachwhip I have seen. There are several I have seen but shit this thing was awesome. I assumed nobody would delete the pictures after I told them to save them and let them go through the rest of the pictures. Alas, I have a wife and we have a stupid shit wives do thread for a reason.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Which prompts a question.  How does snek eat snek of near-equal length?  Have mom cut it into pieces?

Stretchy snek?

Welp, saw a rough green scampering off the trail on today's ride and thought of Swayze.  The more usual snek encounter for me.

I am on pretty high alert for snek these days since I have come across two that I could have run over stretched out and immobile on the trail.

Welp, saw a rough green scampering off the trail on today's ride and thought of Swayze.  The more usual snek encounter for me.
I am on pretty high alert for snek these days since I have come across two that I could have run over stretched out and immobile on the trail.

Nice!

I always think they are cool to see. The vibrant green makes seem like something from the tropics.

Posted (edited)

First time I saw a rough green I thought it was a green mamba or something.

I see a lot more lizards in daily life.  Quite a number of spiny lizards on the limestone-y trails with cedar, as well as horned lizards.  Also a lot of anoles around the house.  The anoles have a habit of getting on the car, in the cowl I think, and making their presence known as I am going down the street, on the windshield.  Sometimes they just jump or are blown off.  Once I stopped to disembark my passenger and he bit me.  DIdn't hurt much, but was kind of surprising and it made it difficult to deposit him on land.

Like most of the snek, the lizards are usually scurrying away from me at pretty high speed.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 6/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Nice!

I always think they are cool to see. The vibrant green makes seem like something from the tropics.

That's usually the problem. I've only seen 2 in the last couple of years because their camo is usually so on point. One happened to be swaying a bit odd on a bush and the 2nd was somehow spotted by the dog about 20 ft away that was perfectly in tune with it's surrondings. Luckily I enventually saw it and kept the dog away or else it would've been a quick trophy kill for him.

Kid (around 14) on the block was bitten on the foot by a coral snake last night.  Ambulance hauled him off around 9:30.  Was given antivenin and last word from his mom he's on his way to ICU for intubation and ventilator. Tons of kiddos on this block.  Also tons of copperheads and corals.  Scary shit.

45 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Kid (around 14) on the block was bitten on the foot by a coral snake last night.  Ambulance hauled him off around 9:30.  Was given antivenin and last word from his mom he's on his way to ICU for intubation and ventilator. Tons of kiddos on this block.  Also tons of copperheads and corals.  Scary shit.

Scary yes, but I don't think any person has died of a coral snake bite in Texas since the development of the antivenin.  I hope the ICU stuff is just a precaution.

3 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

First I've heard of a coral bite in a long time.  Copperhead, well, no.  Hope he's ok.

Interesting day today.  I went to the Katy Prairie hoping to see a few snakes and birds.  First I came up on a ringneck crossing the dirty road.  Only my second I have seen, I took a few quick pics and put him in the ditch he was headed towards.

NJ8uQQCO_o.jpg

RiuIxBfA_o.jpg

Then I came upon a Red-Tailed Hawk on the ground eating something.  He let me get pretty close but I couldn't see what it was.  A truck drove by and scared him off, so I went to take a look, sure enough, it was a snake.  But I was bummed because it was a Prairie Kingsnake and I have yet to catch one to take photos of.  I am thinking it got hit by a car and the hawk took advantage of that.  I drove down the road to give him some time to come back to his meal.  When I came back he was munching away.

48oQJ9Xu_o.jpg

50070273432_b0fd980286_o.jpg

I also saw this freshly run over ribbon snake. 

fvXnpIeq_o.jpg

I love this one mile stretch of road.  So far 8 species just cruising it.  Should be a lot of action in the fall and spring.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:07 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Kid (around 14) on the block was bitten on the foot by a coral snake last night.  Ambulance hauled him off around 9:30.  Was given antivenin and last word from his mom he's on his way to ICU for intubation and ventilator.

Do you know how the kid is doing?