College Football Imperialism Map

AeroHorn

On 9/19/2018 at 6:53 AM, Huckleberry said:

If it continued every year it would eventually merge with the college football title belt concept, right? And unfortunately right now Penn State holds the belt after destroying Pittsburgh for it.

I don't think so. For the Belt, it is possible for it to be stuck in a conference as long as the current holder loses to a conference mate before losing an OOC game, and it can only be passed through one team at a time (only one game matters each week, that too if the holder is playing). The land on the other hand is potentially being captured/lost at every game, and this makes it more "realistic" reflection of team/conference strength than the belt.

Obviously, even with only one undefeated team at the end of the season, there is land held by others and belt also being passed between other teams. In the eventuality of a multiple year undefeated run where OOC chain gets linked across all conferences, there is still a chance where the undefeated team's playoff opponent snuck in by avoiding its own conference title game, like Alabama last year. Only a true knockoff tournament will coalesce the two, I think; and if that is happening, the belt is moot.

There is another game on Reddit, where each team bets half of their current endowment on each game. The latest post is here. We started with $10B and promptly lost $5B in our first game. Unlike the imperialism map, this is not a bet between teams where the winner gets the loser's money, but are bets placed with a betting office. We gained 130M against Tulsa (our winning odds were high, so payout was low) and $1.6B against USC. The running score is kept in a Google spreadsheet. We have lost 34% of our endowment this year. Very bad showing.

Look at the current one that is simply 2017-18.

20_Week_3.png

Assuming Penn State and Ohio State win this weekend, the vast majority of the country will be with one team. Then moving forward if anyone beats the winner of that game, they take over all the territory that team has. It almost certainly wouldn't become a one-team map this season, but heading into next season there would only be a few random areas left. Consider that Louisiana Tech plays LSU tomorrow. So all that random land that La Tech has will likely enter the SEC schedule. So there is a decent chance that is all combined with the SEC by the end of the season. Same logic for the current UCF and USF land, and the OU and Oklahoma State land.

A few seasons of that, one key matchup, and suddenly the entire map is owned by one team. And that's when it becomes the same concept as the title belt.

Edited by Huckleberry

On 9/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, Huckleberry said:

Assuming Penn State and Ohio State win this weekend, the vast majority of the country will be with one team. Then moving forward if anyone beats the winner of that game, they take over all the territory that team has. It almost certainly wouldn't become a one-team map this season, but heading into next season there would only be a few random areas left. Consider that Louisiana Tech plays LSU tomorrow. So all that random land that La Tech has will likely enter the SEC schedule. So there is a decent chance that is all combined with the SEC by the end of the season. Same logic for the current UCF and USF land, and the OU and Oklahoma State land.

A few seasons of that, one key matchup, and suddenly the entire map is owned by one team. And that's when it becomes the same concept as the title belt.

I could be wrong, but I was thinking of cases where the loser jumps into the playoffs because of inherently non-knockoff nature of college football. For example, let's say PSU beats OSU this week (retains belt and takes over vast tracks of land), but loses in conference championship allowing OSU to be the sole representative in the playoff. The belt and land will stay in the Big 10 assuming conference champion (Wisconsin?) retains the land and belt it got for PSU by winning its bowl game. Alabama may beat OSU to win national title, but sans belt and land.

As long as the path to national championship is open to teams that can avoid knock-off games (conference championships), they can be empty handed while parking the belt and land with their conference winner brethren.

Bamamachine, I couldn't see the images in your post. I am posting them again.

We hang on to our Oklahoma territory by denying the landless frogs. We have to do the same this week against Wildcats. The mercurial nature is visible here where USC, whom we beat and gained nothing from, owns a big chunk of northwest now.

Week_4.png

The game of the landlords this week when OSU and PSU face off.

21_Week_4.png

2 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

Bamamachine, I couldn't see the images in your post. I am posting them again.

We hang on to our Oklahoma territory by denying the landless frogs. We have to do the same this week against Wildcats. The mercurial nature is visible here where USC, whom we beat and gained nothing from, owns a big chunk of northwest now.

Labette, Montgomery, Chautauqua, Wilson and Elk Counties in Kansas are there too - despite K-State being landless we do have a bit of their state.

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I could be wrong, but I was thinking of cases where the loser jumps into the playoffs because of inherently non-knockoff nature of college football. For example, let's say PSU beats OSU this week (retains belt and takes over vast tracks of land), but loses in conference championship allowing OSU to be the sole representative in the playoff. The belt and land will stay in the Big 10 assuming conference champion (Wisconsin?) retains the land and belt it got for PSU by winning its bowl game. Alabama may beat OSU to win national title, but sans belt and land.

As long as the path to national championship is open to teams that can avoid knock-off games (conference championships), they can be empty handed while parking the belt and land with their conference winner brethren.

You guys are talking about two different things, man.  Huck is saying that the long-term map (if continued from here out) will eventually converge with the college football "title belt." And it definitely will.  But I think you're talking about the map that starts over every year and saying that, since that map begins anew, the season won't end with someone owning "all the land" and the title belt at the same time--which is also true.

I am also talking about long-term map. I am saying that as long as a team can avoid a path through conference championship on its way to playoffs, the belt and land can stay away from the national champion, and hence never merge. For example, the belt can remain in Big 10, the land in Pac 12 and national championship can be anywhere, as long as Big 10 and/or Pac 12 (in this case) go to playoffs without winning their conference championships.

4 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I am also talking about long-term map. I am saying that as long as a team can avoid a path through conference championship on its way to playoffs, the belt and land can stay away from the national champion, and hence never merge. For example, the belt can remain in Big 10, the land in Pac 12 and national championship can be anywhere, as long as Big 10 and/or Pac 12 (in this case) go to playoffs without winning their conference championships.

That might happen a few times.  But they'll eventually converge.  Just look at the map with what's about to happen between tOSU and PSU.  The number of distinct owners of the map will necessarily decrease by one this week.  That will continue to happen in the future until the entire map is owned by one time.  After the entire map is owned by one team, it's merely a waiting game for the map and the belt to be held by the same owner.  It might take several years.  But it will eventually happen.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

That's not true in the short term.  But it will be true in the long term.

Yes it is.  Whenever you set the map, the belt holder owns land.  The belt and that chunk of land are permanently tied together.  Any land added to that chunk likewise becomes permanently joined to the belt.  The belt can never lose land, but it'll continue adding chunks until only it owns the land.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yes it is.  Whenever you set the map, the belt holder owns land.  The belt and that chunk of land are permanently tied together.  Any land added to that chunk likewise becomes permanently joined to the belt.  The belt can never lose land.

Good point.

I just looked and PSU currently holds the belt, so it's not hard to see that all land eventually converge and be coterminously owned with the belt.

Our win against TCU put our endowment in the black for the first time. We have an 11% profit for a total of $11.6B. We made a $4.7B profit on a $3.5B bet (half of $7B we had) on TCU game. 

Reddit thread and the spreadsheet.

Stanford has the highest endowment at $45B (started at $25B) and BYU has the most percentage gain (9.3x). Aggy has lost 3/4th of their endowment ($1.1B now after starting with $4.5B)

17 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

Our win against TCU put our endowment in the black for the first time. We have an 11% profit for a total of $11.6B. We made a $4.7B profit on a $3.5B bet (half of $7B we had) on TCU game. 

Stanford has the highest endowment at $45B (started at $25B) and BYU has the most percentage gain (9.3x). Aggy has lost 3/4th of their endowment ($1.1B now after starting with $4.5B)

This is a fun idea.

One twist to this idea is if the bet is between the teams where the loser hands the money to the winning team. Right now, the money goes to the betting house.

Gives new meaning to scheduling patsies. Not only do you have to pay them a million bucks to play, but you will have to pay them billions if you lose.

1 minute ago, AeroHorn said:

One twist to this idea is if the bet is between the teams where the loser hands the money to the winning team. Right now, the money goes to the betting house.

Gives new meaning to scheduling patsies. Not only do you have to pay them a million bucks to play, but you will have to pay them billions if you lose.

I don't think any sane school administration would take that bet... It sounds really fun though...

36 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

What in the absolute fuck are you nerds talking about. 

weekly update on the imperialism map. We didn't gain any land by beating KSU, but there is a nice chunk of land spread across to gain from OU.

Week_5.png

In the continuation map,  OSU now owns most of the USA, besides also taking the belt from PSU.

22_Week_5.png

On endowment betting front, we made $1.76B profit by beating KSU. We can potentially more than double our current $13.34B endowment by beating OU. Stanford fell from the top spot when it lost half of its $45B endowment by losing to ND. 

On 9/24/2018 at 4:14 PM, Moby Ric said:

Where's aggy on the map?  Best 2-2 team on the planet should be there somewhere.  Right?

edit,  I can't see yours bama.

They traded the A&M logo for the SEC branding, so we can't see it on the map...

They are there. They own their own land in Ohio and also TCU land, PSU land, OrSU land, etc.

You may be confusing the 2018 map with the 2017 continuation map, which treats 2018 games as a continuation of 2017 season. It is below. We also show up in this map courtesy of OU.

23_Week_6.png

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, kopp0e said:

I know this doesn't directly tie in, but here is a map of the XII recruiting areas:

Where-2017-Big-12-Recruits-Came-From.jpg

And this is the reason that no matter how much the fans want or how nutty Boren was, OU is NOT looking to bolt from the B12.  The Texas pipeline has always been their bread and butter. 

• Like 2