College Football Imperialism Map

AeroHorn

This thread reminded me of the college football belt (like heavyweight boxing, belt goes to the one that beats the current belt holder) something I have not looked at since, oh, about 2010 for some reason.

Washington is the current holder and we could have stolen it from them last December.  Even in our glory years at the beginning of the 2000s, we only ever held the belt for a few short times 

https://www.hatchrankings.com/lineal.html

We picked up the most territory by beating KU and now hold the #2 spot

Top Land Gains in Week 5:

1. Texas +173,723 mi2 from Kansas

2. Clemson +71,006.1 mi2 from Syracuse

3. Oregon State +69,740.2 mi2 from Utah

4. Bowling Green +42,620.9 mi2 from Georgia Tech

5. Troy +42,122.7 mi2 from Georgia State

Our New Top 5

1. Washington - 756,702.3 mi2

2. Texas - 479,849 mi2

3. North Carolina - 282,295.4 mi2

4. Washington State - 218,039.6 mi2

5. Penn State - 182,038.4 mi2

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Yeah I mean Georgia hasn't lost a game since 2021 and they have poverty land. Pretty stupid exercise IMHO.

7 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

Makes zero sense. 

Jesus, this isn't a hard concept to grasp at how this map came to be (adding and subtracting shapes is tough I guess) and what it's worth is (which is zilch, it's just for fun).

6 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Jesus, this isn't a hard concept to grasp at how this map came to be (adding and subtracting shapes is tough I guess) and what it's worth is (which is zilch, it's just for fun).

The concept is not even remotely hard to grasp. Please explain how Georgia has won like 30 games straight and yet has so little land? Its fucking stupid/wrong #qed

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Jesus, why does UGA not own east Tenn, central Fla, Atlanta, NW Miss, central SC, etc? 

1 minute ago, Tomatillo said:

Jesus, why does UGA not own east Tenn, central Fla, Atlanta, NW Miss, central SC, etc? 

Because the teams Georgia beat didn’t own that land when Georgia beat them.

Season starts with all teams owning their own land (counties around your school, half way to the next school). Teams then capture the land owned by the teams they beat. When you lose; you lose all your land to the team that beat you. 

Texas owned all of our opponents land until we lost to ou. OU took all our land when they beat us.  OU then lost the land to oSu, oSu lost it to UCF, UCF lost it to Tech, we gained it from Tech. 

If you play a team with no land, you gain nothing. If oSu beats Texas (they won’t), all the Longhorn land becomes Cowboy land and we have nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This is a silly map.  It always has been.  That's the point of it.

I'm not sure why people who don't understand, or especially those who don't care to understand, continue to post on this thread.  If you don't like it, don't stick around.  Nobody's forcing you

• Hook 'Em 4

I enjoy reading this thread and whatever other threads in which this map pops up. It's always the same cycle. One faction of posters is confused/angry and thinks it's really stupid. Another faction will staunchly defend the map to the ends of the earth while calling it simple and telling the other group that it's harmless fun. The argument then ensues for an additional 40 posts and then the discussion disappears for a month. It's like watching a funny rerun of Seinfeld or Cheers or something. I know what's going to happen, I know which characters will show up and what they'll say, and it's still good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I enjoy reading this thread and whatever other threads in which this map pops up. It's always the same cycle. One faction of posters is confused/angry and thinks it's really stupid. Another faction will staunchly defend the map to the ends of the earth while calling it simple and telling the other group that it's harmless fun. The argument then ensues for an additional 40 posts and then the discussion disappears for a month. It's like watching a funny rerun of Seinfeld or Cheers or something. I know what's going to happen, I know which characters will show up and what they'll say, and it's still good. 

Some guys are super sensitive about the map, lol. Not trying to derail the thread, but the amount of insults is amazing for such a dumb concept. 😄

• Like 1

I actually hate this map when people bring it up in OTHER threads. Because it is always misrepresentative and unrelated to the context of whatever is being discussed in those threads.  By its nature, it doesn't have anything to do with the relative quality of the various teams represented on it, so it's completely out of place on most every other thread where actual college football discussion is occurring.

But this thread, is specifically created for this map.  So it always amuses me when people angrily come onto this thread and hurl insults at the map, or at those who are commenting on the map.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Some guys are super sensitive about the map, lol. Not trying to derail the thread, but the amount of insults is amazing for such a dumb concept. 😄

No one insulted you.  It was merely implied that you were too unintelligent to comprehend how the rules of the map work.  You are the one who continues to provide evidence that supports the implication.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2