Sam Ehlinger

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If only Neo could see what was in front of him. 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

back to comparing Sam to Dak (ugh) while also giving the caveat that "there's a million different factors that could determine whether or not he ever becomes a starter." right. there's actually not a million factors that go into whether or not Sam will ever become a starter, in fact there's really only a few- physical talent, football acumen, ability to perform on Sundays. it isn't very complicated.

this thread is totally cyclical. in the same way that no one would consider Sam a "Texas football legend" if instead of worshipping UT in Westlake he'd grown up in Muncie rooting for Purdue, nobody here would be comparing him to Dak fucking Prescott if he had played for Michigan or USC. the same fan base that was miffed at how Poona Ford could go undrafted ("DO THEY NOT WATCH FILM IN THE NFL?!?!?!) is over here comparing Sam to an MVP-level NFL QB and saying that he'll definitely become a starter, despite his film showing him to be a marginal NFL prospect at best. yeah, Vince, Colt, and Simms struggled to make it, but Sam Ehlinger is just destined for NFL greatness. 

Fucking Christ, derka. We get it. Sam isn’t as good as Danny Newsome. This is the oddest fucking hill to die on and you’re fucking derka

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Fucking Christ, derka. We get it. Sam isn’t as good as Danny Newsome. This is the oddest fucking hill to die on and you’re fucking derka

i have absolutely no idea what is getting you guys so riled up, or exactly what hill it is that i'm dying on (the one where i roll my eyes at comparing Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott i guess?), but don't let that stop you from being uber dramatic towards every single post that i make- which, btw is hilariously ironic. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i have absolutely no idea what is getting you guys so riled up, or exactly what hill it is that i'm dying on (the one where i roll my eyes at comparing Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott i guess?), but don't let that stop you from being uber dramatic towards every single post that i make- which, btw is hilariously ironic. 

Comparing Sam to Dak is just football talk man. His size, work ethic, demeanor etc. Nobody is saying he’s going to become the next 5k yard passer or a pro bowler lol. They do this shit every year with a hundred different kids. Calm the fuck down. Mark Ingram reminded people of emitt smith for fucks sake. You think Sam is just an average QB and that’s fine. I’m pretty certain he won’t be drafted 199th then go on to win 7 Super Bowls but which Michigan fan called that crazy shit happening. Did you think baker mayfield would take the browns to the playoffs? 

"calm the fuck down" he says. lol, do i not seem calm to you? you guys are hilarious. i'm not the one(s) in here losing my mind over someone else's completely benign posts. the way you guys rage at me for the littlest stuff is just too rich. guys- for the 50th time- this thread is not a Safe Space for Sam Ehlinger fan boys. people with differing opinions are allowed to respond to your posts. try and wrap your heads around that without losing it. 

oh and finally- what is the purpose of comparing Sam to Dak over and over if you're only going to end up saying, "well no one is saying that he's actually going to be as good as Dak, or have a career like Dak, or even make a roster for that matter."??? why not compare him to a poor man's Tebow, or to any other short-ish, stout, somewhat mobile QB who isn't a great passer? Why continue to all nod in solitude and agreement when comparing Sam to one of the best QBs in the NFL over and over, as if you're all being objective and rational with said comparisons? tough question, i know, but try and remain calm when answering.

Edited by shadow_operative

from thedraftnetwork.com:

Ehlinger is the billboard definition of a quarterback who’s good for the college game but will face many challenges on the next level. With below-average arm strength and hit-or-miss accuracy, he will have to be surrounded by targets who have a wide catch radius, just as he was at Texas. The Longhorns' offense was able to mask many of his deficiencies with half-field reads that allowed him to run if his first few options weren’t available. At the top of his dropbacks, Ehlinger can be real indecisive with where to go with the ball. There are lots of passing concepts that lack timing because of him hitching up in the pocket multiple steps prior to throwing. If unable to develop at QB, there may be some teams that approach him about a position switch elsewhere because of his build, physicality as a runner, and leadership qualities.   

Ideal Role: Developmental backup who may also be asked to experiment at other positions.

Scheme Fit: West Coast or Erhardt-Perkins offensive system–quick rhythm based throws with periodic deep shots down the field.

yeah, sounds just like Dak. a virtual clone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
1 minute ago, markstanco said:

.def05bf56ad017bbf7e385e18cb40dbd.gif

surlybevo- where guys compare Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott over and over and all pos rep each other in agreement, and then react like this ^^^^ when someone else calls them on it. no one will ever accuse our football fans of being objective, that is for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

from profootballnetwork.com:

Senior Bowl Performance

As expected, Sam Ehlinger didn’t move the needle a ton at the Senior Bowl, in regards to his NFL Draft stock. He was able to affiliate himself with NFL scouts and display his leadership ability. However, on the field, he was visibly limited, just as his tape echoed. His functional mobility earned him some nice plays, but as a passer, he failed to distinguish himself. That was evident even in the game, where Ehlinger completed just 40% of his passes

Sam Ehlinger’s limitations as a thrower

Additionally, as a thrower, Ehlinger leaves a lot to be desired. He gets by to an extent with some good mental traits.

There are times when he uses his eyes to manipulate safeties. He clearly has a decent understanding of all the different moving parts of a given play. Yet, Ehlinger doesn’t always act on that understanding consistently. He can be slow to pull the trigger when going through his progressions, and a lot of times, when he waits too long, he lowers his eyes and looks to run rather than extending the play.

Ehlinger’s arm doesn’t do him any favors, either. Ehlinger can generate decent velocity when his base is set, but overall, he has a below-average arm. His release is relatively slow and concentric, and he doesn’t display the ability or elasticity necessary to throw at different arm angles.

Ehlinger’s lack of arm strength can be somewhat mitigated in the short ranges, but it shows up much more often in the intermediate and deep ranges. There, he lacks the velocity to get the ball downfield quickly. His accuracy also lacks down-to-down consistency. Although he improved this somewhat over the course of his collegiate career, it’s still a major concern, especially in an NFL where things move faster and where windows are tighter.

The Verdict on Sam Ehlinger's draft stock:

However, that’s only half of the NFL equation. The other half consists of physical qualities, and there, Ehlinger comes up short. He lacks an NFL arm, both in terms of strength and elasticity. And he’s not as athletic as a dual-threat quarterback should be. Ehlinger’s experience and mentality should lend him an NFL career, but he’s almost certainly a Day 3 pick.

Similar to fellow Texas legend Colt McCoy, Ehlinger best profiles as a long-term backup. His competitive edge also gives him a chance in spot-starting situations.

Sam Ehlinger’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft

Anywhere from Round 5 to Round 7 is fair game for Ehlinger. I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup. The potential fits for Ehlinger are fairly wide-reaching. Any team with a need for a backup, or an aging backup and a need for a QB3, could benefit from adding Ehlinger to the roster.

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

from profootballnetwork.com:

Senior Bowl Performance

As expected, Sam Ehlinger didn’t move the needle a ton at the Senior Bowl, in regards to his NFL Draft stock. He was able to affiliate himself with NFL scouts and display his leadership ability. However, on the field, he was visibly limited, just as his tape echoed. His functional mobility earned him some nice plays, but as a passer, he failed to distinguish himself. That was evident even in the game, where Ehlinger completed just 40% of his passes

Sam Ehlinger’s limitations as a thrower

Additionally, as a thrower, Ehlinger leaves a lot to be desired. He gets by to an extent with some good mental traits.

There are times when he uses his eyes to manipulate safeties. He clearly has a decent understanding of all the different moving parts of a given play. Yet, Ehlinger doesn’t always act on that understanding consistently. He can be slow to pull the trigger when going through his progressions, and a lot of times, when he waits too long, he lowers his eyes and looks to run rather than extending the play.

Ehlinger’s arm doesn’t do him any favors, either. Ehlinger can generate decent velocity when his base is set, but overall, he has a below-average arm. His release is relatively slow and concentric, and he doesn’t display the ability or elasticity necessary to throw at different arm angles.

Ehlinger’s lack of arm strength can be somewhat mitigated in the short ranges, but it shows up much more often in the intermediate and deep ranges. There, he lacks the velocity to get the ball downfield quickly. His accuracy also lacks down-to-down consistency. Although he improved this somewhat over the course of his collegiate career, it’s still a major concern, especially in an NFL where things move faster and where windows are tighter.

The Verdict on Sam Ehlinger's draft stock:

However, that’s only half of the NFL equation. The other half consists of physical qualities, and there, Ehlinger comes up short. He lacks an NFL arm, both in terms of strength and elasticity. And he’s not as athletic as a dual-threat quarterback should be. Ehlinger’s experience and mentality should lend him an NFL career, but he’s almost certainly a Day 3 pick.

Similar to fellow Texas legend Colt McCoy, Ehlinger best profiles as a long-term backup. His competitive edge also gives him a chance in spot-starting situations.

Sam Ehlinger’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft

Anywhere from Round 5 to Round 7 is fair game for Ehlinger. I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup. The potential fits for Ehlinger are fairly wide-reaching. Any team with a need for a backup, or an aging backup and a need for a QB3, could benefit from adding Ehlinger to the roster.

The critique of his skillset is probably pretty accurate, but tying that to his 40% completion percentage in the senior bowl is a stretch.  There were several well-placed balls thrown by Sam that were just dropped by his receivers.  I don't recall the exact number, but it had to be 3-4.

• Like 1

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

With below-average arm strength and hit-or-miss accuracy

Dak:

• Location and accuracy are generally poor, makes receivers adjust to off-target balls and minimizes yards after catch
  • Doesn’t possess the heralded “power arm” that he was once rumored to have

half-field reads that allowed him to run if his first few options weren’t available. At the top of his dropbacks, Ehlinger can be real indecisive with where to go with the ball.

Dak:

• Does not throw with anticipation, poor timing leads to late throws to all areas of the field
  • Can be confused and fooled by more intricate coverage schemes (ex. Alabama’s pattern reading)

There are lots of passing concepts that lack timing because of him hitching up in the pocket multiple steps prior to throwing.

Dak:

• Rocks back with a slight hitch in his delivery when putting zip on the ball
  • Can wind up with longer release when going down the field

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I personally wouldn’t pick him until later on Day 3 — and there’s no guarantee he’s picked at all — but he has traits some NFL teams may gravitate to when looking for a quality backup.

Dak:

I think Prescott will get snatched up late on day three due to the flashes of talent that are evident on tape and an exceptional work ethic that promises improvement, but right now there isn’t much to show he’ll be anything more than a decent backup someday.

Fun Game!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

yeah, this is what's known as The Coach K Fallacy. You see Duke fans were unhappy with Coach K after his first four years and wanted him gone, and yet he went on to become one of the 3 or 4 greatest CBB coaches ever. So now every time a CBB coach gets a new job and doesn't do well for his first 3-4 years you always have fans rushing in to remind everyone that Coach K wasn't great at Duke for his first half decade, as if every Shaka Smart and Matt Doherty is really just the next Coach K in waiting. how's that working out for all those Shaka's and Doherty's? any of them become Coach K yet? okie dokie then. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

"calm the fuck down" he says. lol, do i not seem calm to you? you guys are hilarious. i'm not the one(s) in here losing my mind over someone else's completely benign posts. the way you guys rage at me for the littlest stuff is just too rich. guys- for the 50th time- this thread is not a Safe Space for Sam Ehlinger fan boys. people with differing opinions are allowed to respond to your posts. try and wrap your heads around that without losing it. 

oh and finally- what is the purpose of comparing Sam to Dak over and over if you're only going to end up saying, "well no one is saying that he's actually going to be as good as Dak, or have a career like Dak, or even make a roster for that matter."??? why not compare him to a poor man's Tebow, or to any other short-ish, stout, somewhat mobile QB who isn't a great passer? Why continue to all nod in solitude and agreement when comparing Sam to one of the best QBs in the NFL over and over, as if you're all being objective and rational with said comparisons? tough question, i know, but try and remain calm when answering.

Calmer than you are....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah, this is what's known as The Coach K Fallacy. You see Duke fans were unhappy with Coach K after his first four years and wanted him gone, only he went on to get it together and become one of the 3 or 4 greatest CBB coaches ever. So now every time a CBB coach gets a new job and doesn't do well for his first 3-4 years you always have fans rushing in to remind everyone that Coach K wasn't great at Duke for his first half decade, as if every Shaka Smart and Matt Doherty is really just the next Coach K in waiting.  fun game indeed. 

Jesus dude no, that's not what that is. It's showing that they are similar as NFL prospects. Seriously, choose 5 scouting reports from each. The strengths are the same, the weaknesses are the same. Not from Texas fans, from scouts. They are the same size and athletic profile. Remarkably similar stats. They played in shotgun heavy offenses with questions about how that will translate to the NFL. They are projected to be 3rd day picks. 

The point of the comparison isn't that Sam is destined to be a franchise qb/Dak clone. It's to show that hey, a guy that scouts saw pretty similarly to Sam coming into the league has found great success. I'm a Texas fan and seeing him have NFL success would make me happy. Dak represents his best case scenario upside. It's unlikely (success as an NFL qb always is) but the precedent is there, we aren't talking about Case McCoy here. 

I'm by no means a Sam fanboy btw. I appreciate what he did here but I was happy when he announced that he was moving on and I'm well aware of his limitations. I'm more than happy to hear a different opinion on him but actually engage with the conversation. Without using hindsight or what he's done with the Cowboys, why in your opinion is the Dak comparison so offensive? Honestly, what are you seeing about Dak Prescott in 2016 coming out of Mississippi St that most NFL teams didn't?

• Hook 'Em 1
Dak has always been the comp for me, they had very similar college stats (even though Dak had much better offensive coaching), similar physical profile, and checking Dak's draft scouting report I see a good deal of overlap.
https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2016dprescott.php
Dak:
image.png.f7e97b3bbfbaf900b5dee274411785ae.png
Sam:
image.png.a166d7955c2d42493851b8d354b39c36.png
Dak wasn't seen as a day one starter by anyone, he was a project that could be developed behind an established established guy to potentially be a starter and I think that's pretty much how teams will view Sam. Dak went as a 4th round pick and 4th or 5th is where Sam will go to. Whether or not he develops into a starter depends on a million different factors (some outside of his control) but he'll get the chance. 

Agree with this, was going to add this:
I'll add before someone else does, Sam probably doesn't have quite the arm talent that Dak does

So I’m basically with this 100 percent.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sam Ehlinger is good at football in general. He has the toolkit to succeed with incompetent coaching at the college level. If he has that, then imagine what he could be molded into around guys that are also being developed at the highest level. 

NFL players don't just come in the league and stay the same. The reason they get drafted is they continue to develop. The players that all have incredible careers in the NFL play an almost completely different game than they did in college and evolve with their bodies and capabilities over time. 

Sam has "it" he's a winner. In the face of defeat he concedes nothing - the question remains is "it" enough? For Tim Tebow it wasn't. For Dak it was. For sanchez it wasn't. For Josh allen it was. College success doesn't translate to NFL success especially with hardware or W/L record. 

Im hoping for the best for Sam, but the sad reality is that there is a very low likelihood of his success, just like there is a low likelihood for Trevor lawrence to succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

surlybevo- where guys compare Sam Ehlinger to Dak Prescott over and over and all pos rep each other in agreement, and then react like this ^^^^ when someone else calls them on it. no one will ever accuse our football fans of being objective, that is for sure. 

That isnt even remotely close to why I posted that gif. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, immamac said:

Im hoping for the best for Sam, but the sad reality is that there is a very low likelihood of his success, just like there is a low likelihood for Trevor lawrence to succeed. 

If I were TL I would refuse to play for about half the teams in the NFL. Make Goodell figure it out.

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

He might be trying to be politically correct , but I thought he didnt like Herman and evidently had an extensive out brief discussing the bullshit in the program.

I don't know what to believe

He isn't going to trash his head coach in public

• Hook 'Em 2

Were there rumors that Sam didn’t like Herman? Only thing I ever heard was people speculating based on a look or some other nonsense when Sam went to the sideline after a series. Probably more projection that anything.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Sam really did like Tom. Tom probably treated Sam pretty well since his whole job pretty much depended on Sam; at least to a greater extent than any other individual player.

• Hook 'Em 1
Were there rumors that Sam didn’t like Herman? Only thing I ever heard was people speculating based on a look or some other nonsense when Sam went to the sideline after a series. Probably more projection that anything.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Sam really did like Tom. Tom probably treated Sam pretty well since his whole job pretty much depended on Sam; at least to a greater extent than any other individual player.

Considering how he used him, I’d think Tom saw Sam as something to save his job.
10 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Only according to our favorite Carl, so take it for what it's worth. Might be true, but who knows?

23 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

He might be trying to be politically correct , but I thought he didnt like Herman and evidently had an extensive out brief discussing the bullshit in the program.

I don't know what to believe

Sam hates Tom Herman. Cannot stand him.