Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

The Colts, despite knowing Wentz's injury history, lack experience at quarterback. Jacob Eason, Sam Ehlinger, Jalen Morton and Brett Hundley, whom the Colts signed Saturday, are the other quarterbacks on the roster. Hundley is the only one of the four who has attempted an NFL pass.

Yikes. Wonder if Reich gives a trade for Foles some consideration. Worked out for him in Philly

Edited by Blotto

“To me, filling in for the great Kevin Bowen today, Ehlinger looked better than Eason.

Eason did complete arguably his best pass of camp so far to Michael Pittman Jr. for a near sideline connection. But Ehlinger had a report today with DeMichael Harris.

Harris caught two balls in a row from Ehlinger, who looked relaxed in the pocket. It’s a small sample size. But it’s something.

And quite frankly, right now, the Colts need something. And more than a cortisone shot.

Eason did not throw an interception today, but Grover Stewart picked up an early sack on the former 4th round pick. That brings up a good point too. The defensive line is feasting.“

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/day-5-colts-training-camp-notebook-frank-reich-returns-sam-ehlinger-steps-up-quenton-nelson-leaves-practice/

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

August 15 is their first preseason game. If they don’t bring in another QB, I think Sam can beat out Eason. 

They are bringing in another qb I don’t think that’s even a question.  They won’t start a season with no qb with NFL snaps other then Bret Hundley…..  Hopefully Foles cause the Bears need to get rid of one of their qb’s.  

They are bringing in another qb I don’t think that’s even a question.  They won’t start a season with no qb with NFL snaps other then Bret Hundley…..  Hopefully Foles cause the Bears need to get rid of one of their qb’s.  
What's Colt McCoy doing now?

Colts practice write up for today (Sam was once again a highlight) courtesy of 107.5 The Fan:

Jacob Eason continues to take all the starting reps on Tuesday. Eason was (unofficially) 10-of-21 with 2 TDs (in a red zone drill) and 0 interceptions. Without 5 starters around him, Eason’s day was once again up and down. He threw a couple of nice balls in stride to Michael Pittman—the only highlight from the first 11-on-11 session. He also tossed two touchdowns to Zach Pascal in the red zone. Yes, there were overthrows in the red zone and this is a QB still growing in making timely progressions/delivering the ball on time, but Eason protected the ball on a day when he got minimal help around him. It’s been tough to properly evaluate both sides of the ball with so many injuries.

Tuesday’s highlight was the 2-minute drill executed by rookie Sam Ehlinger to end practice. Ehlinger was 7-of-10 on the drive, throwing (about) a 12-yard TD to tight end Farrod Green to cap the drive.

The offense mobbed Ehlinger and his teammates to celebrate.

After practice, QB coach Scott Milanovich met some members of the media and shared some of what his draft report was on Ehlinger. Milanovich said he wrote that Ehlinger is ‘in control of the offense’ when you watch him on film. That was so, so evident in watching Tuesday’s 2-minute drill. Things are far from perfect with Ehlinger, but he’s strung a couple of good days together. The Colts love how he’s grasped the playbook and I’ll be curious to see how his reps evolve from here. On Tuesday, Ehlinger was 12-of-17 while taking most of the second-team reps.

This is how the starting offense started off Tuesday’s 11-on-11 work: fumbled exchange, fumbled exchange, fumbled exchange. It was the worst 3-play stretch I’ve seen for a starting offense at a training camp in 11 years of covering the Colts. Yes, Jacob Eason and Joey Hunt are not used to tons of starting work, but both have worked together in reserve roles. And Hunt has started 11 games in the NFL.

With the Colts down 3 starters on their offensive line, and their backup center, the starting OL was this on Tuesday: LT-Sam Tevi, LG-Chris Reed, C-Joey Hunt, RG-Mark Glowinski, RT-Braden Smith. This was Tevi’s 4th straight day as the starter at left tackle. It goes without saying that the defensive line shredded the offensive line throughout Tuesday’s session. The DL had at least 7 ‘sacks’ on Tuesday.

It shouldn’t get lost in the shuffle that DE-Ben Banogu continues to have a really disruptive camp. Yes, we’ve seen this before, Tuesday was the first day in pads and the offensive line depth is waning, but we shouldn’t overlook what Banogu has done. Will this roll over into more full-padded work and the preseason?

Six practices in and Rodrigo Blankenship and Eddy Pineiro have kicked just 3 total field goals (both making all 3). That’s odd for this supposed ‘competition.’

Nyheim Hines (hip) made his camp practice debut on Tuesday and was back returning punts, along with his other duties. It was very rare to see Hines miss practice time.

Guys that stood out at Tuesday’s practice: LB-Bobby Okereke, DT-Grover Stewart, DE-Kwity Paye, QB-Sam Ehlinger, DT-DeForest Buckner, CB-Marvell Tell, WR-Zach Pascal.

One draft pick we’ve yet to see in camp is 5thround safety Shawn Davis (hamstring). Now, the thought was it would be difficult for Davis to find consistent playing time behind Khari Willis and Julian Blackmon. But the Colts are high on the Florida product. Also, the depth chart behind Willis and Blackmon isn’t clear with Sean Davis (free agent signing) and George Odum also in the mix.

The Colts will have another practice on Wednesday before an off day on Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

My buddy, who's a good judge of talent, told me Eason is trash.  I know Hundley is trash.

Therefore, I predict Sam starts week 1.  Fight me. 

I'd rather he just makes the team and is the #2 QB the first half the season.  Starting a rookie QB in Week 1 is a great way to shorten a career 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Today’s training camp write up courtesy of 107.5 The Fan (I just picked a few comments but will link the full write up):

“Wednesday was another very solid day from Sam Ehlinger. I had Ehlinger (roughly) 8-of-11, with all of his incompletions attributed to drops. Frank Reich has liked what he’s seen from the 6th round pick, too: “I’ve really been impressed where Sam is. Not only mentally, but the ‘it’ factor. It’s not too big for him. You can feel that. He’s got a presence about him and he has good quarterback instincts. I told him yesterday, it’s very apparent he understands how to keep the game simple. That’s a big deal. He does a very good job of that.” Ehlinger continues to get the majority of 2nd team reps, with Eason taking all the starting reps.

This is a great quote from Frank Reich in describing the strengths of Jacob Eason vs. Sam Ehlinger: “Jacob has an elite arm. I think Sam is a little bit more of a runner. He proved that in college. He makes a lot of plays with his feet. Sam has a good arm but not the elite arm. He finds ways to get it done. And when you are that kind of player, that’s what you do. He’s just very good at it. ‘How do I simplify this to make the play that I know I can make?’ He has a good knack of that. Jacob, on the other hand, we want him to do that same thing. But Jacob has that upside. When you have that kind of arm talent, there are certain things that you can do with that kind of arm talent that money can’t buy. But you have to be able to execute good enough, consistent enough, to give yourself the opportunity for those big plays to show down the field.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/day-7-colts-training-camp-notebook-jacob-eason-bounces-back/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

More analysis from last few days of training camp (QB’s coach compares Sam, Eason and the little they got to see of Wentz):

Sam Ehlinger

The highlight from Tuesday’s end to practice was Sam Ehlinger leading a two-minute touchdown drive, going 7-of-10.

Milanovich liked that, and has seen first hand what he thought was there during the draft process.

“Sam is coming along quickly,” Milanovich says. “The mental part of the game, grasping the offense has come faster than most rookies, especially with not having a whole lot of an offseason. He’s progressing quickly. We are happy with his progression.

“We felt like that was his strength. He played a lot of football at Texas and has a lot of experience recognizing coverages, reading routes, different systems, too based on who their coordinators had been so not surprised.”

‘Poise’ is a word that Milanovich likes and the general command of what Ehlinger has brought, even when getting second-team reps.

“One of the comments I made in my (draft) report was he’s in control of the offense,” Milanovich says of Ehlinger. “You see that and feel that on film, even in our walk throughs here. Those are things that he’s definitely going to be good at.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-quarterbacks-coach-analyzes-qb-room/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

More analysis from last few days of training camp (QB’s coach compares Sam, Eason and the little they got to see of Wentz):

Sam Ehlinger

The highlight from Tuesday’s end to practice was Sam Ehlinger leading a two-minute touchdown drive, going 7-of-10.

Milanovich liked that, and has seen first hand what he thought was there during the draft process.

“Sam is coming along quickly,” Milanovich says. “The mental part of the game, grasping the offense has come faster than most rookies, especially with not having a whole lot of an offseason. He’s progressing quickly. We are happy with his progression.

“We felt like that was his strength. He played a lot of football at Texas and has a lot of experience recognizing coverages, reading routes, different systems, too based on who their coordinators had been so not surprised.”

‘Poise’ is a word that Milanovich likes and the general command of what Ehlinger has brought, even when getting second-team reps.

“One of the comments I made in my (draft) report was he’s in control of the offense,” Milanovich says of Ehlinger. “You see that and feel that on film, even in our walk throughs here. Those are things that he’s definitely going to be good at.”

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-quarterbacks-coach-analyzes-qb-room/

shocked philip j fry GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I'd rather he just makes the team and is the #2 QB the first half the season.  Starting a rookie QB in Week 1 is a great way to shorten a career 

You aren't wrong, in fact your view is the most likely scenario.  That said, if there's gonna be an exception story I'm hoping its Sam. 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

Clearly, Sam has made an impression on his coaches and teammates. He’s making the absolute most out this opportunity. We will definitely see a bit of him in preseason games for sure. The main thing he lacks is a rocket arm but honestly, I think he’s a lock to make the team. Eason has had an interesting few days at camp. Today was definitely his best day. Yesterday was a bad day. Guy seems to have a lot more difficulty with poise and decision making. Go Sam Go! 

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… and Phillip Rivers sees a perfect opportunity for one last payday from the desperate Colts.

I can see he maybe gets a team? WTF do I know? 

2 minutes ago, Nope said:

Nick Foles has been publicly campaigning for the job

What a wasted shot there...imo. 

This is Carson’s team, first of all,” Reich said, via Stephen Holder of TheAthletic.com. “He’s our quarterback. We’re excited about having him. He knows that and this team knows that. When we brought him here, we brought him here for one reason. And it wasn’t to compete. It was, he’s going to come in here and lead this football team.

“I don’t mind talking about Nick Foles. I love Nick Foles. He plays for the Chicago Bears and I haven’t talked to him. But I think he’s a great player. I think he’s proven that. I think he’s a great teammate. There’s nothing about Nick Foles I don’t like. I think he’s a winner. He’s certainly a guy who fits our kind of culture, but he plays for the Chicago Bears.”

________________________________________________________________________________

Foles called Reich “one of my favorite, if not my favorite, coaches of all time” and said that Reich “knows me” after working with him in the wake of Wentz’s torn ACL in 2017.

They both worked together very well. Reich brought out the best in Foles. But I don't think Foles can work without Reich. 

House Depression GIF