Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Could be Trevor Lawrence.

He’s supposed to be the next John Elway. Or so they say…where is the next Montana, Brees, Manning…I think Fields will be great (after of a couple of Ohio state misfires) and Trey Lance has promise. I am most intrigued by Sam because he apart from height seems to have a lot of what we consider great.

1 hour ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

Some people on here think I’m a troll because who the fuck knows. I’ve followed UT football since I was a kid, and always wore #12 in sports for Colt McCoy, and my cousin wore #10 when we played together in Highschool in east Texas. 

There’s a few of the old school people around here that still neg anyone new, call them trolls, ect especially if they have a thought that’s different then theirs.  Don’t get into full scale arguments or go into the Cloak Room and you will be fine lol. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

I’m a east Texas boy who went to UT for 2 years and transferred to Alabama where I get VA scholarship because I was tired of racking in debt. Some people on here think I’m a troll because who the fuck knows. I’ve followed UT football since I was a kid, and always wore #12 in sports for Colt McCoy, and my cousin wore #10 when we played together in Highschool in east Texas. So fuck these bitches on here who think I’m a hater. I’m good friends with one dude on the baseball team and grew up with 3 guys who you guys would know very well if I said their names

Its Darryl, his brother Darryl and his other brother the Darryl isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Comparing Sam to past QBs in Texas history is difficult for a variety of reasons:

1) Sam continued to play in an era of Texas history that has lacked quality talent on the offensive side of the ball. I have no doubt 2011-20 offers less NFL draftees on offense than at any time since the draft began.

2) He played injured more than per usual for the position. Both him and Colt were fucked by coaches who used them stupidly and failed to properly develop players and schemes to protect QBs.

3) Sam often got in shootouts and lost because 2017-2020 featured some historically bad defenses and special teams. One reason I have no idea how great James Street was commanding the Wishbone because the Texas defense allowed 10pts a game. Duke Carlisle’s team gave up 6-7 pts a game as did Bobby Layne’s great ‘47 team. We’d take that per quarter in most of Sam’s career.

And special teams? Really poor in the return game and inconsistent elsewhere with notable exceptions in the punt game.

4) Tom Herman and his staff

Regardless of if Sam is a Top 3 or 5 Texas QB, it is not laughable to make that argument that he is or that he’s a legitimate NFL player.

Herman designed the position to limit turnovers and Ehlinger did that well. In 2018, before he got injured, he was playing really well and had some ridiculous interception-free streak. He also had dangerous receivers even if he was also the best running option. He did what he asked, but didnt have Ricky Williams, Blake Brockermeyer, Roy Williams, or Tommy Nobis carrying his ass. But he did what he could.

He’s a Top 3 Texas QB in my book, being Top 20 in alltime in total yards and TDs. He balled his ass off.

I think an argument can be made that other single-season performances by QBs in various eras eclipsed his own and by that standard he is more of a 2nd tier guy. He lacks the All-American status that shows he was much better than his peers. Thats fine.

• Hook 'Em 8

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Sam ranged from mediocre to above average over his four years here, and he never looked like a guy who would go on to have an NFL career. even if Sam had two more years of eligibility he would have so much to work on and correct before even becoming a great college QB. he's erratic, he's inconsistent, he's not a great decision maker, he isn't a great athlete, and even in his final game as a Longhorn he was still making poor throws to wide open guys. instead of steadily improving, he pretty much remained the same guy only a year older and bigger. and his limitations became even further exposed when he no longer had Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay to throw to.

bottom line- if Sam had played for any other school then nobody here would think anything of him as a pro prospect, and furthermore, had he gone to OU, Baylor, or A&M i suspect that most here would say that he sucks and laugh out loud at the idea that he's a legit NFL prospect. instead he's a lifelong Longhorn fan from Westlake, so everyone here has convinced themselves that Sam could have been great but that Tom Herman was holding back, as opposed to the more logical and obvious fact that Sam is and always has been a good-but-not-great QB.

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i responded to what someone said, and it's not what you want to hear, so you're crying about it l, taking it personally, getting defensive, and making a mountain out of a molehill. grow up. 

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

very little of this has anything to do with what i've posted. you claim to understand how i feel because i've posted it here so many times, and yet your version of what i've said is:

nobody except Texas and Westlake homers see any possibly that he could be an NFL quarterback

that's not what i've said. what i have said repeatedly is that only UT and Westlake homers are as bullish on Sam's ability as a QB and his prospects of becoming a starting QB in the NFL as you guys are. and it's the truth. nobody is as high on what Sam has done/what he's capable of as you guys are. i didn't say that nobody but you guys thinks he'll ever play in the NFL. i mean i myself posted earlier today that i could see Sam being a career backup. that equals "being an nfl qb". what i've been saying is that i cannot see him sticking as a starting QB in the NFL. that's a far cry from "nobody but UT/Westlake fans thinks he'll ever play."

you start your last paragraph with, "none of this means that he'll ever be a regular starter in the league...". so then what's the point of the rest of your post?  yes, he was drafted, yes, Wentz got hurt, yes he's been practicing well. does that mean that you think he's going to become a legit NFL starter? and if not, then what are we even talking about here?

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

do you know what "legit" means? thousands of guys have been drafted only to never have an NFL career. being drafted doesn't automatically make you legit. similarly:  i, and many others here, always saw Poona Ford as having legit NFL prospects, even if the NFL brain trust didn't see him that way. he didn't get drafted, but his talent and skills shone through and he's now a legit NFL player. now we have a situation where, yes, Sam was drafted, but that does nothing to change who he is as an NFL prospect. after four full years at Texas he was never even able to become a *consistent* QB, much less one who looks like he has a future in the NFL.

again- if Sam were not from Westlake, and if he played somewhere besides Texas, nobody here would be bullish on his pro prospects. you're letting your heart get in the way of logic. i understand it, but i can't agree with it.

aniDerkaLaunch.gif

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sam often got in shootouts and lost because 2017-2020 featured some historically bad defenses and special teams. One reason I have no idea how great James Street was commanding the Wishbone because the Texas defense allowed 10pts a game. Duke Carlisle’s team gave up 6-7 pts a game as did Bobby Layne’s great ‘47 team. We’d take that per quarter in most of Sam’s career.

In VY's 3 years as a starter (2003-2005), Texas gave up 40+ points in a game twice (1-1). 

In Colt's 4 years (2006-2009), Texas gave up 40+ points in a game 3 times (1-2).

In Sam's 4 years (2017-2020), Texas gave up 40+ points in a game 7 times (3-4).

The point isn't that Sam was as good as either VY or Colt (he wasn't). But to the quoted statement - we might be thinking about Sam a little differently if his teams limited the opponents scoring better, which he really had almost nothing to do with. I'd say, going solely by memory, over the last 30 years of Texas football, the list is probably something like this, by tier:

1. VY; 2. Colt; 3. Sam/Major/Simms; 4. James Brown; 5. Gardere/Ash/Buechele/Mock/Morenz; 6. Gilbert

Case isn't ranked - he gets his own tier based on the fact that he wasn't very good but had the hilarious run to beat the ags and the OU win. Also, Nordgren gets bonus points for his dribble TD. 

I got to UT in the mid-90s, so don't have much recollection of Gardere or Morenz (I think of him as getting a grade of "incomplete") and very well could be off base with those two. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Game starts at noon. Reich said they will scripting fewer plays (in other words a semi-game plan) for Jacob and Sam today to see how they handle the offense. So a lot more will be on their shoulders. Reich said he’s not looking for a superstar just someone who can make the plays and move the chains.

I think this will play to Sam’s strengths as it has been mentioned he makes quicker decisions than Eason. We should see Sam in second quarter. And then it will flip next Saturday with Sam starting with the Vikings. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Jamaal Charles

Yes. Jamaal Charles was a player on the 2007 Longhorns. Very good. 

2018 D didn't suck. 

JC didn't help us not get smoked by 20 against fucking K State that year. At home. 

Neither team was perfect. I think it would be a fun game. 2018 Horns at their best were probably a bit better. 

Edited by ztejas

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. Jamaal Charles was a player on the 2007 Longhorns. Very good. 

2018 D didn't suck. 

JC didn't help us not get smoked by 20 against fucking K State that year. At home. 

Neither team was perfect. I think it would be a fun game. 2018 Horns at their best were probably a bit better. 

If I recall correctly Colt regressed a bit in 07. He threw 4 picks in the K State game, and Charles had to bail us out of a couple ball games by his damned self. Defense was decent outside of the bad turnovers. 18 we couldn't stop Maryland from running the ball....at all. We looked Manny Diaz bad against them.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

18 we couldn't stop Maryland from running the ball....at all. We looked Manny Diaz bad against them.

Yeah but then we ended the season by stuffing Georgia's dick up their own ass. Maybe it depends on what week those squads play. 

At the least it would be interesting - which was really all I was getting at. 

Just now, Vito Andolini said:

He’s uneven (Eason). You can see why he’s intriguing, but also frustrating. One play, a great throw, then five feet over the receiver’s head on the next. Now I know why they want to give him a chance.

I think that’s why they got Sam. It’s consistency issues with Eason but he does have upsides. Height and arm strength being big ones. Also, even though he was drafted last year he didn’t get an off-season or preseason and barely got any reps bc Rivers and Brissett took all the reps mainly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eason isn't a rookie. Not sure why the play by play guys would say that. 

Y'all called it upthread. Eason holds on to the ball too long. You better have feet like Deshaun Watson to get away with that. 

I think they call him a rookie bc he never saw the field last year?