TX/OU what players have the biggest impact?

Pig Bellmont

Brown and Lamb haven't played a decent defense yet.  They are elite WRs but I think Boyd and Davis are big physical corners that can hopefully rough them up a little.  Hager and the front 4 have to get pressure.  Murray is so quick with his release and he is deadly accurate.  We need to live in the back field.  This needs to be their coming out party.

As for offense, I think we'll do our usual and try to grind it out on the ground.  Sam has to connect on those deep balls where the WR has his man beat by 5 yards.  He's overthrown Duvernay quite a few times this season after he's beat his man badly.

Dicker needs to hit his FGs.  We need to improve our punt and kicking game over night.  Special team plays turn this game around every year.

Edited by victory88

48 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

For better or worse, Kris Boyd is going to have a huge impact on this game. They will test him early and often with double moves. We need to get consistent pressure from the DL to disrupt the timing on those routes.

Unfortunately, this is probably the correct answer. Boyd has show zero ability to play a disciplined, fundamental 1st type game. I am really worried that Lincoln Riley and the midget will spend this week trying to develop plays that force Boyd into either/or type decisions, and he has struggled with those.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

When we rush 4, or even blitz LBs up the gut, we rarely pressure the QB. I see many CB blitzes for us this weekend. 

CB blitzes take way too long against the quick passing of Murray.

Iowa State's dime caused OU lots of problems last year by constantly dropping 8 and rushing only 3. 

For Texas:

Already mentioned many times, but Kris Boyd needs to play at a level we haven't seen out of him this year. Staying in the secondary, Brandon Jones needs to have the most mentally sound game of his career. He doesn't have to be perfect but he cannot continue to get caught out of position against this offense. We've seen what happens when he does.

A career game out of Hagar and/ or Charles would really help. K State Charles needs to show up and Hagar needs to not go wild and run himself out of the play. Texas needs to be able to generate a pass rush with four or five to have a really good chance.

Sam needs to continue to play smart with the ball. CJ, LJH, and Duvernay need to exploit the matchup advantage at hand. Ingram - this is more on the coaches then the player - needs 15-20 touches.

For OU:

The only time I can remember Kyler Murray playing a real defense, he threw three picks in a home loss to Auburn as a freshman at A&M. Obviously that was a long time ago, but my point is that he really has very little experience against good P5 defenses and sure as hell has not played in an environment like the one he is about to walk into. How will he handle that? Even Mayfield looked shaky against Texas in 2015 and a good portion of 2017.

I don't really know much about their defensive front. I'm sure they have their fair share of talent the way they recruit. That will be what makes or breaks them on D. Their secondary sucks and everyone knows it so their best bet is to negate that by controlling the LOS. Their run defense has been (statistically) good outside of the Army game, but those were largely against cupcakes that were playing from behind awful quickly. I have seen plenty of people, even Sooners, say that the run defense does not pass the eye test. How will they hold up in a four quarter game against stronger competition? I know they usually have some athletes on the edge but they clearly have been had through the air - will they be able to pressure Sam? Texas pass pro has been coming back down to Earth a bit the past couple weeks but I will go out on a limb and say we will be the best pass blocking team they've played by a mile. OU needs to be able to at least accomplish one of consistently stopping the run or getting pressure on the QB. They don't even have to do both - Texas isn't good enough to win with a one-dimensional offense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fellside said:

As much as I love Orlando's defense, his insistence on delayed blitzes baffles me. It never works. I'd rather the offense know where the blitz is coming from than line up where it's physically impossible to get to the qb in less than 4 seconds.

Frequent, delayed blitzing creates problems for scrambling QB’s.  You will see a lot of that on Saturday. And it’s actually going to help us because our blitzers will already be up to speed when the midget takes off. 

Good Omen.... KIRK JOHNSON IS BACK (played  ST in KState Game)

Remember the 2015 Season for Kirk and BlowU Game....

Kirk returned two kickoffs in 2015 and also recovered two special teams fumbles, including a fumble by OU on a kickoff that led to a touchdown drive and a 14-0 Texas lead in UT’s 24-17 win over the Sooners (UT’s last win in the Red River Shootout). 

Welcome Back Kirk #28 and Good Luck...... HOOK'EM 🤘

18 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Make the midget throw over the linemen from the pocket as often as possible. Ingram needs to feast. Boyd had his worst career game last year against OU; he can't be any worse this year, right?

INSIDE PUSH/PENETRATION outside contain. 

18 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

Frequent, delayed blitzing creates problems for scrambling QB’s.  You will see a lot of that on Saturday. And it’s actually going to help us because our blitzers will already be up to speed when the midget takes off. 

Also, I think our blitzers will be disciplined enough to brake down and make the tackle instead of getting shook. Plus, in dime, the DB blitz is coming. Hope they play dime and have all three safeties playing like Caden. 

DBU

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Good Omen.... KIRK JOHNSON IS BACK (played  ST in KState Game)

Remember the 2015 Season for Kirk and BlowU Game....

Kirk returned two kickoffs in 2015 and also recovered two special teams fumbles, including a fumble by OU on a kickoff that led to a touchdown drive and a 14-0 Texas lead in UT’s 24-17 win over the Sooners (UT’s last win in the Red River Shootout). 

Welcome Back Kirk #28 and Good Luck...... HOOK'EM 🤘

I would absolutely love to see Kirk get a who carries in Daniel Young's spot. Let's see what he can do. Hell the only tape of him is the one carry against Texas Tech.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:52 AM, victory88 said:

Brown and Lamb haven't played a decent defense yet.  They are elite WRs but I think Boyd and Davis are big physical corners that can hopefully rough them up a little.  Hager and the front 4 have to get pressure.  Murray is so quick with his release and he is deadly accurate.  We need to live in the back field.  This needs to be their coming out party.

As for offense, I think we'll do our usual and try to grind it out on the ground.  Sam has to connect on those deep balls where the WR has his man beat by 5 yards.  He's overthrown Duvernay quite a few times this season after he's beat his man badly.

Dicker needs to hit his FGs.  We need to improve our punt and kicking game over night.  Special team plays turn this game around every year.

Disagreed. If we live in the backfield, Kyler will eat us alive. We need to spy the shit out of him and contain, and pray Boyd doesn’t get burned. 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:31 AM, pyrohornIII said:

I'd like to see Hager do some Bomar-ing on the midget.

He doesn’t have a chance. Murray gets the ball out too quickly and will run circles around Hager. 

I would like to see us completely stop their running game which our defense can do and force them to throw. May seem backwards because that's their strength but like posters about said, play dime, spy and hope we can cover. I'm on the fence though about us sitting on the ball and trying to shorten the game or do we just do head to head fast and see who wins. To answer the OP, I think duvernay has to have some long bombs CAUGHT. I'm thinking two would go a long ways. 

22 hours ago, gmr548 said:

A career game out of Hagar and/ or Charles would really help. K State Charles needs to show up and Hagar needs to not go wild and run himself out of the play. 

He can’t drive 55, though. Which is a problem. 

Sam needs to really come through on the big wide open throws downfield. Duvernay has had a few get away from him after burning his man because Sam hasn't been accurate. We hit a few of those and everything will open up, Ingram and Watson will feast and it'll keep the chains moving. We must sustain drives, can't go 3 and out and put the pressure on our defense. 

Need someone to lay the wood to the munchkin one good time (preferably B. Jones or Foster) if he tries to get cute and act like he's playing Tecmo Bowl and take off. 

The punt/kicking game needs to be on point. USC Dicker the Kicker needs to come back. 

42 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

He doesn’t have a chance. Murray gets the ball out too quickly and will run circles around Hager. 

Bull fucking shit. He can get his hands up and sacrifice his nuts to bat shit down at the LOS... I hope

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Bull fucking shit. He can get his hands up and sacrifice his nuts to bat shit down at the LOS... I hope

Sure.  But he has little chance to do any Bomar'ing.  Which is what I was responding to.

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Sure.  But he has little chance to do any Bomar'ing.  Which is what I was responding to.

I'm out of the loop, I'm assuming Bomar'ing is big hits?

Who ever knocks that little pipsqueek out of the game has a 5050 chance of being thrown out as well. His natural area to hit is a foot lower than most ball carriers.

2 hours ago, Zavala said:

I'm out of the loop, I'm assuming Bomar'ing is big hits?

Who ever knocks that little pipsqueek out of the game has a 5050 chance of being thrown out as well. His natural area to hit is a foot lower than most ball carriers.

Dude, seriously?  Watch Bomar in the pocket and tell me you think Breck "Sammy" Hagar has a chance to do this against The Midge.

9_htoL.gif

Edited by Guest

Hager has more success when he's standing. Hope we run a lot of Graham and have him rushing every down, but on the outside shoulder of Graham or Omenihu.

Foster is my pick for breakout performer. I want to see him play more than Wheeler, having him responsible for the tight end and being the spy when Johnson has to cover. I want 6 DB on the field almost every play.

On offense, I love the little slip play to the tight end we have been running. Hope we see Brewer or even LJH running that route with a chip block and escaping out to the flat. Love Beck as a leader and a blocker but he has cement feet after he catches the ball. Think there are a lot of yards to be had on that little play.

Ingram has been saved for this game. He will top 100.

Sam will go for 250/50 with 2 TD's, maybe one turnover, and a game winning drive.