2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

7 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Danny Green and a decent big..... then I guess people can put the pitchforks away.

that trade on the first night is very concerning tho. I wonder what they were thinking. Kelly olynynk sucks.

Guess they like Jones a whole lot. And so does Miami.

Seth Curry was third in the league (one spot above Steph) in 3-pt % last year at 45%. Danny Green finished number two. 

Highest ranking/qualifying Mav that was on the roster at the end of the season was Justin Jackson at 83rd (35%).

Roster starting to take shape now

22.6 mil left (extending Maxi is under Bird so no cap hit)

Danny Green will likely cost us 10-12 so we will have another 10-12 for the (starting?) center spot. I guess Boogie at that price is good or if we really believe in Cauley-Stein go that route

PG:Brunson, Curry, JJB

SG:Danny G?, THJ, Broekhoff

SF: Luka, DFS, Jackson, Lee

PF: Porz, Roby, Kostas

C :  Starting/Backup C, Powell, Maxi

6 hours ago, Jack said:

It's Cuban. 

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, Cuban didn't do himself any favors in his estimate of US college players v. Europeans and their development.  the constant disparaging of the refs(while certainly warranted) also didn't help.  Dirk was just that good.  dude was allowed to be mugged for his entire career except for the last few years of course when he didn't have the ability to force the defender to guard him normally.   he never really got the "star" calls he deserved. 

Its interesting because the word has always been that Cuban takes real good care of his players.  maybe it changes if KP and Doncic make some real noise together.  maybe we will just try to be an all star Euro squad?

on the ticket today I think Bob or Norm or Donny, can’t remember which one, said in the giannis draft that donnie wanted to take him but cuban overruled so we could trade down and free up an extra $500k to offer dwight howard.  did that really happen?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

on the ticket today I think Bob or Norm or Donny, can’t remember which one, said in the giannis draft that donnie wanted to take him but cuban overruled so we could trade down and free up an extra $500k to offer dwight howard.  did that really happen?

Yes 

The moves the Mavs have made so far I don't have any real issues with. Curry is fine at the price and Maxi is too. What really bothers me is how woefully unprepared the Mavs FO seems to be. They had plan A in Kemba and just seemed to wing the rest of yesterday. You have months to prepare for the players and scenarios you want. The FO looked like utter idiots in both trade scenarios with the Heat/76ers and because they didn't have any clue about the landscape of FA they lost out on basically every backup plan they should have gone after.  Too busy eating dinner I guess. 

Edited by AngryDragon
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

The moves the Mavs have made so far I don't have any real issues with. Curry is fine at the price and Maxi is too. What really bothers me is how woefully unprepared the Mavs FO seems to be. They had plan A in Kemba and just seemed to wing the rest of yesterday. You have months to prepare for the players and scenarios you want. The FO looked like utter idiots in both trade scenarios with the Heat/76ers and because they didn't have any clue about the landscape of FA they lost out on basically every backup plan they should have gone after.  Too busy eating dinner I guess. 

It all seems to hinge on getting green.  If they do, they can salvage something with a few sharp shooter 3 point guys.  If not, they fucked up bad..... as they usually do.

Edited by Voldemort86

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I was hoping we could make some moves to at least have a real good shot at the playoffs.

As is this team doesn't have much of a chance to make it.

I think right now the Mavs FO is completely hoping their improvement in the win column comes from Zinger returning and Luka improving. If they had even a semblance of a plan the playoffs would have been realistic this year.

3 hours ago, futureman said:

Nah, what happened was David Stern knew Mark had been getting way in over his head in gambling and with some possibly shady type guys too if you know what I mean. Anyways, so Stern intended on suspending him but instead Mark was like, fuck it, I'm going to go play baseball for a year.

If we need another data point to show how terrible the Mavs front office culture and organization is as a whole (minus Dirk and Luka of course), they employed a convicted rapist as a scout. 

He was registered in the sex offender database and they either didn't check or worse did.

https://deadspin.com/a-scouts-honor-1835664571

Yet Philo was sentenced to a year in county jail, a sentence whose leniency flabbergasted Jennifer A. Jensen, Saratoga County’s sex-crimes prosecutor at the time. “The defendant held a position of trust and violated that trust when he engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old student, not once but on four separate occasions,” Jensen declared after sentencing, according to a report in the Times Union. “This case is even worse because the defendant impregnated a 15-year-old and now we have a child raising a child.”

Evidently, the organization either didn’t dig very deep into Philo’s background—he’d enrolled in the Texas sex offender registry the very same week he got the invitation to try out for the Mavericks—or weren’t bothered enough by what they found not to hire him. Philo has said he was a full-time international scout for the team by 2003.

Nelson, through team spokesperson Sarah Melton, declined to answer any questions about Philo’s hiring, saying via email that the team couldn’t even confirm the date Philo was hired. Melton said that information about Philo wasn’t available because “our old HR guy has been let go.” (That would be former HR director Buddy Pittman, who was fired in Febuary 2018 for failing to appropriately address domestic abuse and sexual abuse allegations against employees. Pittman did not respond to an interview request.

3 hours ago, AngryDragon said:

I'm on board with a Boogie deal. Coming off an injury he still averaged 16/8 in 25 minutes. Could be a bargain if he steps it up a bit in yr 2 after an achilles injury.

boogie and danny green and we win a title.  scoop up giannis in 2021. 

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

If we need another data point to show how terrible the Mavs front office culture and organization is as a whole (minus Dirk and Luka of course), they employed a convicted rapist as a scout. 

He was registered in the sex offender database and they either didn't check or worse did.

https://deadspin.com/a-scouts-honor-1835664571

Yet Philo was sentenced to a year in county jail, a sentence whose leniency flabbergasted Jennifer A. Jensen, Saratoga County’s sex-crimes prosecutor at the time. “The defendant held a position of trust and violated that trust when he engaged in sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old student, not once but on four separate occasions,” Jensen declared after sentencing, according to a report in the Times Union. “This case is even worse because the defendant impregnated a 15-year-old and now we have a child raising a child.”

Evidently, the organization either didn’t dig very deep into Philo’s background—he’d enrolled in the Texas sex offender registry the very same week he got the invitation to try out for the Mavericks—or weren’t bothered enough by what they found not to hire him. Philo has said he was a full-time international scout for the team by 2003.

Nelson, through team spokesperson Sarah Melton, declined to answer any questions about Philo’s hiring, saying via email that the team couldn’t even confirm the date Philo was hired. Melton said that information about Philo wasn’t available because “our old HR guy has been let go.” (That would be former HR director Buddy Pittman, who was fired in Febuary 2018 for failing to appropriately address domestic abuse and sexual abuse allegations against employees. Pittman did not respond to an interview request.

Donnie Nelson should be fired. The guy does nothing but screw up all the time.

Crazy that 2 yrs ago Boogie was #1 on the Mavs wishlist for a max candidate. He's the guy left on the market with the upside and he would come at a serious discount. Don't understand what's going on with his market. He has problems with coaches sometimes but teammates seem to like him and he didn't have any issues with GS. Looked productive in limited minutes and seems natural that the averages would climb back over 20/10 with 30 plus minutes.

Boogie could be sold on Dallas as the best place to start. Sign him on a 1 year $8 mil deal and let him earn big money if he performs. What's the harm in that for us? Fills a need and gives him an opp to prove himself which he didn't have like he thought with GSW. 

It's light years better than WCS who apparently doesn't care about basketball and any of the other scrubs that are barely backups

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BallamaticBevo said:

Jabari Parker on a plane to Dallas right now apparently. Dude plays zero D but I'd take his scoring from the midrange and post for the second unit 

connecting flight to chicago. team boogie but mavs seem determined to overwhelm us with their overpayment of mediocrity. Knowing the FO we'll have the greatest amount of cap space next yr in the worst FA class in recent history and still strike out. We'll roll that powder for 20-21 on the Giannis do-over and strike out again.

Edited by AngryDragon

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

Uhhhhhh what else are they going to send us? Gallinari for 22 milll.....puke

Donnie will think its a bargain. I really don't understand how that would be preferable over Boogie at whatever price he winds up at(knowing he's having a hard time getting even an exception offer right now).

We need a 3 and D guy. He’s a consistent 15-6 guy who can shoot threes and a HIGHLY underrated defender at 6’10”, and shoots FTs at 90%. He’s too expensive but I don’t hate the fit for a year.
I don't mind him- I don't like him at 22 per when we need a center.

So if we sign Green that will give Luka 2 45% 3pt shooters. They're going to get plenty of wide open looks. 

Supposedly there is interest in Marcus Morris too.

I think Green is probably going to get more than I'm comfortable with but he's going to be a good influence on the young guys and his ability to shoot 3s won't age terribly

After completely shitting the bed on the first day I'm happy/fine with the last 3 deals.  

I don't think I'll ever understand what happened on the first day

Edited by Post Oak