2019 C Kai Jones

Machinator

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

In a small class , I think taking a second post is a weird fit 

I think Kai Jones is a different mold than both McDaniels and Baker. Those two are much more skilled whereas Jones is definitely an "upside" type take because of his athleticism/projection. 

Bird in hand type ordeal. There's no certainty both McDaniels and Baker pick Texas so it's tough to turn away a top 50 prospect. Beyond that, Jones is a 3 to 4 year guy and Baker/McDaniels are probably one and done types. So they are kind of on different timelines. 

Interesting thing about Kai Jones is he will be a much different player in 2 or 3 years so dependent on other roster stuff he could actually be a good redshirt candidate his FR year. That hasn't happened in years but it would be ideal if we land Baker and McDaniels and return 2/3 of Sims, Hepa and Hayes. 

I do agree that I would like a wing in this class but the more I watch of McDaniels I think he will get minutes at the wing if we land him. McDaniels is definitely more of a 3 and 4 than a PF/C. 

• Like 1

Evan Daniels story: https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Four-star-Kai-Jones-commits-to-Texas-123383673/

Four-star forward Kai Jones surprised Texas coach Shaka Smart with a commitment, he tells 247Sports.

“I slept on it and woke up knowing I wanted to go to Texas,” Jones said about a night last week.

"I skyped coach Smart and I surprised him,” he said. “I told him that I felt like I knew where I wanted to go to school. You could tell he was nervous, but when I said it he got really excited and went crazy.”

Jones, a Bahamian that is finishing his high school career at Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy, picked the Longhorns over Baylor and Florida State. Jones took official visits to all three schools.

What pushed Texas over the edge?

“Just the relationship with the coaches and I feel like it is a place I can fit in at and get better,” Jones said. “I feel like they’ll get me better for the next level and allow me to do the things and show the competitiveness to help me get there too.”

Jones, a 6-foot-10 versatile prospect that can play the power forward or center spot, took a week off from allowing coaches to contact him. He used that time to dig into where he though would be the best spot for him.

“I watched film and thought about the program and strength and conditioning coach, which I think is the most important thing to get me to next level,” Jones said.

Jones also said he was drawn to Smart’s mentality.

“Just his energy,” he said when asked about Smart. “He’s really excited about coaching me and he wants to get me better and I feel like I’ll get better there.”

Jones was one of the breakout performers of the summer. Emerging at the NBA Global Academy camp in Treviso, Italy, Jones built further on the performance throughout the summer and playing for Team Breakdown during the July evaluation periods.

Especially given his size, Jones is a dynamic and fluid athlete. He’s bouncy and quick off his feet, and versatile enough where he can step away from the rim and make an occasional jump shot. At this stage, Jones’ lacks of strength is what has hindered him the most.

5 hours ago, Fud said:

I'll get blasted for this, and I like him as a prospect, but this is weird fit in the class 

It's only a weird fit if you're locked into Baker and McDaniels, which I get. But I'm just not sure we're in a position to turn down a top 50 prospect. A bird in the hand and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...