Jump to content
PatrickMcHorn

Surly's Texas Small Town/Road Trip Gems

Recommended Posts

I see Pioneer BBQ in Nixon is already on the map.  Good stop on the way back from the coast.


Is it worth stopping at ? We usually just hit Whataburger on the way back. I didn’t know there way anything in Nixon worth stopping at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Alamo Springs (between Comfort and Fredericksburg ) isn’t on the list , it should be. Great burgers. Scenic hill country drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hruska’s in Ellinger used to do a mean burger to precede your kolache consumption. Haven’t had it since they remodeled though. Hope they kept the old griddle top


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

 


Is it worth stopping at ? We usually just hit Whataburger on the way back. I didn’t know there way anything in Nixon worth stopping at.

 

Yes, we like their sliced brisket sandwiches.  Good comments on their ribs, which I plan to try sometime.  Don't know if pork or beef.  Brisket baked potato and brisket chili pie are okay.

It's in downtown Nixon on SH 80.

Edited by abuelo gringo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 7:15 PM, stupidgringo said:

Anything near Mount Pleasant, TX? I have to go up there quarterly for a meeting and usually pre-meet with folks for lunch at Blalock BBQ. The people who run it seem nice, but Blalock BBQ doesn't belong on this list.

Mt Pleasant Burger and Fries is a good choice!

Edited by NoName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, HenryJames said:

Simon Brothers in Roosevelt.

Outstanding hamburger.

Hilltop Cafe outside of Fredericksburg is one I would add.

Also like Vaudeville in Fredericksburg.

Mary's in Strawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hilltop is great.  Somebody added it.

Added The Real New Orleans Style Restaurant - Marble Falls TX.  Great Cajun from members of a church displaced by Katrina who decided to stick around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 10:47 AM, BabaYaga said:

Seconded - grew up going that place.  G-parents lived in Talpa, got shipped off each summer for a few weeks.  Went there all the time.  Was just there a few weeks back.  The entire downtown is finally gaining a little steam.  Now that Rancho Pizzeria is in, along with their wine-bar, soon to be completed coffee house, and art gallery.  It's a neat little scene.  Couple from Tech even purchased and refurbished the little Inn on the outskirts of town.  I really want to take the rib and stay at the Rancho Loma B&B.

Rancho Loma

There's also Big O's in Valera.  Love that place.  Staple every time we are in town.

Big O's

I almost replied with this exact same post.  My extended family is from Coleman.  Spent many a summer there including my college summers working on a few ranches.  

Robert and Laurie, who own Rancho Loma and Rancho Pizza are great friends and really good people.  When they first opened Rancho Loma it was affordable enough that as a college kid I could take a date there.

Big O's is also a family staple for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueGreySky said:

I almost replied with this exact same post.  My extended family is from Coleman.  Spent many a summer there including my college summers working on a few ranches.  

Robert and Laurie, who own Rancho Loma and Rancho Pizza are great friends and really good people.  When they first opened Rancho Loma it was affordable enough that as a college kid I could take a date there.

Big O's is also a family staple for us. 

I was there this weekend.  Took my oldest fishing, filled a few feeders.  Just getting out of town.  Hit Rancho Pizzeria for dinner as always.  I put that place up with Cane Rosso and Grimaldi's in DFW.  Skipped Big O's, as caught bass turned into tacos.  Drove around the backside of the T-Bone Ranch as I'd always wondered what the other side of the place looked like.  I heard the Goree family are friends with the Rancho owners who worked at Texas Monthly and introduced them to the area.  Still haven't checked out the wine bar across the street from the pizza place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

I was there this weekend.  Took my oldest fishing, filled a few feeders.  Just getting out of town.  Hit Rancho Pizzeria for dinner as always.  I put that place up with Cane Rosso and Grimaldi's in DFW.  Skipped Big O's, as caught bass turned into tacos.  Drove around the backside of the T-Bone Ranch as I'd always wondered what the other side of the place looked like.  I heard the Goree family are friends with the Rancho owners who worked at Texas Monthly and introduced them to the area.  Still haven't checked out the wine bar across the street from the pizza place.

I'll be there from the 12th to the 15th and will be hitting up all the usual places.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

 

I'll be there from the 12th to the 15th and will be hitting up all the usual places.  

If you have kids, that new donut place across the intersection from the pizza place and behind the gas station was packed Saturday AM.  Kid loved it.  I just love the fact that Coleman getting a little life breathed back into it.  Father's family's from Talpa, so it was always Coleman of Ballinger to go to the "city"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome.  We'll give it a try Sunday if they're open.

Rancho is hosting a crawfish boil on the 14th if you're looking for something to do.  Not sure if we're gonna go but just got the email and RSVPs are due before the 6th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holy hell.....haven't been to Herds in decades!  God help me, that place is amazing.  How did I forget about that little gem!

Damn, lot of us hanging out in Jacksboro - they are old school - cash only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Dropped in a place (places?) in Shreveport. Good food, but really good pie.

Strawn’s?

Also, someone needs to add Fugler’s Grocery outside of Marshall if it’s not already on the list. For whatever reason I can’t see it from my phone and forgot what was on the original list. That burger is a bad mother fucker 

Edited by Etexhorn13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strawn’s?
Also, someone needs to add Fugler’s Grocery outside of Marshall if it’s not already on the list. For whatever reason I can’t see it from my phone and forgot what was on the original list. That burger is a bad mother fucker 


Mmmmm strawberry pie...
Riverport BBQ in Jefferson needs to be on the list as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mmmmm strawberry pie...
Riverport BBQ in Jefferson needs to be on the list as well.


Do what I did one day last summer: Have Bodacious in Longview for lunch and then Riverport for dinner. That was a good day...

96d0899038641e2877210f8ac94c6e4e.jpg

e3c4309a52fac881e915625ed2f62318.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Leal's Mexican food in Muleshoe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Yeah, but then we'd have to go to Muleshoe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 6:42 AM, PatrickMcHorn said:

From the old board, post more if you got 'em.  

Google Maps Link

I'm driving to New Mexico in a couple weeks, and already planning a couple stops.

Not a small town, but I'll rec Garcia's Kitchen in Albuquerque

Edited by GringoSalado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't this be in Noach?

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beef enchiladas rojas (with onions) at La Calavera in Alpine. Incredible. Stacked, West Texas-style. 

 

5d4b5j.jpg

 

The place doesn't look like much from the outside - it's pretty much a taco truck with a shaded seating area -- but man, was this good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2018 at 2:33 PM, abuelo gringo said:

Yes, we like their sliced brisket sandwiches.  Good comments on their ribs, which I plan to try sometime.  Don't know if pork or beef.  Brisket baked potato and brisket chili pie are okay.

It's in downtown Nixon on SH 80.

Stopped by last week and tried the ribs.  Pork ribs.  Good, but don't compare to the brisket.  Everyone has his strengths and weaknesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added the hamburger grill at a Shell station on 36 just south of Bellville. For some reason it has terrible Google reviews -- I think they might refer to the gas station part of it -- but this is truly an unsung gem of Texas burger joints, as the few Yelpers (and me) who've gone in there can attest. (I've gone twice over the past ten years or so and it was awesome both times.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let the outside appearance keep you from stopping at the J& P Bar and Grill in Comstock.  One of the best burgers I have had.  Jalapeno Burger with homemade jalapeno mayo.  Dad had the tacos.  Would have driven right past if the guy at the Judge Bean Museum in Langtry hadn't clued us in.

J_amp_P_3.jpgJ_P_2.jpgJ_P_1.jpg

 

 

Edited by swTXSU
forgot the pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2018 at 12:07 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Outstanding hamburger.

Hilltop Cafe outside of Fredericksburg is one I would add.

Also like Vaudeville in Fredericksburg.

Mary's in Strawn.

Mary's FTW.  Never fail to stop there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, pyrohornIII said:

The Vermillion, Harlingen

Did not even know they opened a 2nd location. Grew up going to the one in Brownsville. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mary's FTW.  Never fail to stop there.


Love Mary’s. Ate there yesterday. Took four friends from Indiana there on our turkey hunting trip to Coleman. Their minds were blown.

0df285ec3705def1918eadaa84dc28c6.jpg

Not pictured - giant bowl of gravy. They asked for a to-go cup for the gravy that we didn’t finish. Love it.

Ate at Rancho Pizza for dinner last night, downtown Coleman. Best pizza I’ve ever had (again). Headed to Big O’s in Valera for lunch today.

The guys are out hunting now and I’m enjoying a Bloody Mary by the fire pit. Jesus I miss this place. Good thing it’ll be snowing in Indy when I get back Monday! Fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Snow's BBQ isn't exactly a "hidden" gem, but  Lexington is certainly  a small town and easy road trip from Austin or Houston.

Small window to operate from though, Miss Tootsie only works on Saturdays and you better be in line by 9 am if you want your choice of all of her offerings of the day.detail_1106_peo_snows_1.jpg

Miss Tootsie puts Lexington on the barbecue map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have five generations of ancestors fertilizing the ground between Lexington and Rockdale.

BBQ has been Saturday morning early for the last fifty years.

 

(But it's worth it!) :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added a few places on here. 

Major's in Liberty Hill is really damn good. Their buns are legit, and I had a really damn good cheeseburger.

Alamo Springs Cafe is pretty well known, and rightfully so, but I added it for largely the same reasons, interestingly enough.

Irie's Island Food is a small restaurant in Port Aransas. Last time I tried to go they were sold out for the day, but we just missed it. They've taken the concept of Torchy's and adapted it to seafood tacos. That is, they've gringo-fied it. Really damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

 


Love Mary’s. Ate there yesterday. Took four friends from Indiana there on our turkey hunting trip to Coleman. Their minds were blown.

0df285ec3705def1918eadaa84dc28c6.jpg

Not pictured - giant bowl of gravy. They asked for a to-go cup for the gravy that we didn’t finish. Love it.

Ate at Rancho Pizza for dinner last night, downtown Coleman. Best pizza I’ve ever had (again). Headed to Big O’s in Valera for lunch today.

The guys are out hunting now and I’m enjoying a Bloody Mary by the fire pit. Jesus I miss this place. Good thing it’ll be snowing in Indy when I get back Monday! Fuck.

 

That looks awesome. I completely agree on Rancho pizza, it’s so damn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rihn’s Countryside Saloon outside Devine has great hamburgers. And if you happen to be there on a day Sandra made chili, the gods have smiles upon you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...