Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Are you saying Williams is just now coming out with these claims? 

Because that isn't true at all. This was reported all the way back in '89. 

so they are headlines now, why?  Gundy should probably never have been hired right?

Probably need to shut down Oklahoma State for such neglect of responsibility in their hiring practices.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

so they are headlines now, why?  Gundy should probably never have been hired right?

Probably need to shut down Oklahoma State for such neglect of responsibility in their hiring practices.

Dude, they were headlines back then.  There’s literally articles shown from back then on this thread - multiple times.  Is this a bit?  Lol

• Like 4

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

It's almost like Gundy drew attention to himself by wearing an OAN shirt. Shit from your past pops up when you're an idiot. 

But the Williams incident was common knowledge, right...yet all of these players still allowed themselves to be recruited to Stillwater by Gundy.  Weird...

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Dude, they were headlines back then.  There’s literally articles shown from back then on this thread - multiple times.  Is this a bit?  Lol

This whole fucking "shut down everything and make people bend the kneee" is a fucking bit.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Iceman said:

But the Williams incident was common knowledge, right...yet all of these players still allowed themselves to be recruited to Stillwater by Gundy.  Weird...

Ask OSU fans who have posted on here too, Gundy is a much worse recruiter then he should be - especially with an offense that potent.  Makes sense if you ask me...

Just now, Iceman said:

Most people didn't know about that incident. Different times because of the internet/social media. 

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

This whole fucking "shut down everything and make people bend the kneee" is a fucking bit.  It's ridiculous.

Well that is BLM, if you’re in an industry where black athletes are your cash cow, tread lightly.  You as Slorch, can say that...an anonymous Internet personality.  You won’t find a single coach post that under their actual name.  Free speech has consequences.  Ask Kaep...

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ask OSU fans who have posted on here too, Gundy is a much worse recruiter then he should be - especially with an offense that potent.  Makes sense if you ask me...

Meh.  Plenty of great athletes signed with Gundy through the years. They damned sure haven't just been of the pasty white variety.   

Hell, plenty of fanbases think their coaches underachieve on the recruiting trail. Gundy's underachieving ways are  rooted in the incident with Williams?

Just now, Iceman said:

Meh.  Plenty of great athletes signed with Gundy through the years. They damned sure haven't just been of the pasty white variety.   

Hell, plenty of fanbases think their coaches underachieve on the recruiting trail. Gundy's underachieving ways are  rooted in the incident with Williams?

If that story about using racial slurs is confirmed by Oklahoma State players he's a dead man walking. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You think it's a bit that using racial slurs might have an impact on a coach that recruits primarily black players? You can't be serious. 

from 30 years ago? and it was denied from the get-go?( not saying Gundy is innocent)

My question is more of why have all of these players ignored it through the years?  All of those parents and high school coaches were fine with their young men playing for Gundy.  Were they negligent?

Edited by Iceman

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Holy shit you love playing dense.  No it’s not rooted in one incident.  But maybe, just maybe, it’s rooted in an overall culture of suppressing your blackness.  And he is terrible recruiting 5 stars.  He gets guys who turn out to be great, but rarely anybody that was wanted across the board...

Oh, and Slorch’d...

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

from 30 years ago? and it was denied from the get-go?( not saying Gundy is innocent)

My question is more of why have all of these players ignored it through the years?  All of those parents and high school coaches were fine with their young men playing for Gundy.  Weere they negligent?

I'm going to guess most players didn't know about that story. Most of the national media didn't know about that particular incident. Stories like that didn't become national news like today because of social media/internet. 

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

My question is more of why have all of these players ignored it through the years?  All of those parents and high school coaches were fine with their young men playing for Gundy.  Weere they negligent?

Especially considering he was most famous, before this, for a theatrical defense of Bobby Reid's character.

But things are not always what they seem on the surface I guess.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Especially considering he was most famous, before this, for a theatrical defense of Bobby Reid's character.

More than the mullet, that episode will always be who Gundy is to me.   Not sure if that is a positive or negative, 

45 minutes ago, Iceman said:

of course it isn't.  he dared to have his own opinion.  He still needs to grovel to his detractors six or five times..

This is the way.

LMFAO at Alfred Williams and his "me too' claims 30 years later.  Really?

It's not about groveling you fucking idiot. The network calls BLM a terrorist organization. All or most of his players support BLM. Is the math really that fucking hard for you? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It's not about groveling you fucking idiot. The network calls BLM a terrorist organization. All or most of his players support BLM. Is the math really that fucking hard for you? 

and again, philosophical differences come down to IQ slams.   LOLz.

Convincing argument, Sir.

Ask Drew Brees if it's about grovelling.     Gundy's gonna grovel to keep his job.  It's a requirement.

Edited by Iceman

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’m still pissed at Gundy but this is the first I’ve read about 1989 and yet again I find it difficult to imagine a player saying that openly on a field where most of his own teammates are black yet only the opposition hears it. He denied it immediately at the time so don’t leave that part of the article out. And we’re now taking the word of characters of Bill McCartneys teams? If some of his own teammates from the era start saying this stuff, well then, he’s fucked. I get the sense it isn't over.

Were most of his offensive teammates black?  I saw someone on one of these sites said that only 4 of the offensive starters on that team were AA.   Assuming he did say it - it wouldn't have been outside the realm for the team and his teammates to handle it internally.  I certainly don't think they would have gone running to the press about their starting QB and then been welcomed back to the team with open arms.

*Its mentioned in the Shannon Sharpe clip - but its not like Colorado was losing and it was sour grapes - Colorado kicked Oklahoma St's ass.  I'm not sure what incentive there was for the Colorado players to invent this.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No. He’s really this dumb. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Yes. He’s really this dumb. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This is progress.  How many high-profile people right now would have done that?  Yes, he had massive financial incentives for doing so, and he knew more about OAN than he's letting on, but that was a pretty unequivocal mea culpa.  Good for him.

Gundy is never going to see completely eye to eye with his players.  But he moved their direction.  At least publicly.  Progress.  It's easy to discredit what he just said, but there is very little reconciliation happening right now in this country, so maybe my expectations are too low but I'm counting that as a win for unity's sake.

49 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah he's really paid for it

Yeah he has in his own way...was run out of the NFL.  Now he has a chance years later and well out of his prime.  If Gundy goes and makes 5M on OAN I’d still say he paid a price if he was run out of coaching...

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah he has in his own way...was run out of the NFL.  Now he has a chance years later and well out of his prime.  If Gundy goes and makes 5M on OAN I’d still say he paid a price if he was run out of coaching...

Shrug. Fair enough. Kaepernick was a famous millionaire before, he's a famous millionaire now. It ain't really the Gulag Archipelago for these guys.

1 hour ago, ryskey said:

This is progress.  How many high-profile people right now would have done that?  Yes, he had massive financial incentives for doing so, and he knew more about OAN than he's letting on, but that was a pretty unequivocal mea culpa.  Good for him.

Gundy is never going to see completely eye to eye with his players.  But he moved their direction.  At least publicly.  Progress.  It's easy to discredit what he just said, but there is very little reconciliation happening right now in this country, so maybe my expectations are too low but I'm counting that as a win for unity's sake.

Yeah, I liked that a lot.  Much better than an apology wordsmithed by the Okie State lawyers.  And honestly, I think saying "I understand" is more important than saying "I'm sorry."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iceman said:

My question is more of why have all of these players ignored it through the years?  All of those parents and high school coaches were fine with their young men playing for Gundy.  Were they negligent?

Do you think he'd really admit using the N word?  The only option is to deny it, unless you knew for sure it was caught on video and was going to come out.

Edited by OU Sucks

11 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's almost like Gundy drew attention to himself by wearing an OAN shirt. Shit from your past pops up when you're an idiot. 

He's out fishing with friends.  Mistake was allowing the picture.

16 hours ago, 'stache said:

I want to hear it from his own teammates directly. If he was throwing that word around to multiple CU players one of his own teammates would have heard it and that word isn’t exactly something you brush off simply because he’s on your side.

You'd be surprised by how many shit burgers people will eat simply because it comes from their side.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/osu/bill-haisten-former-cowboy-vernand-morency-s-concern-a-catastrophic-effect-on-recruiting/article_517f3d5c-642f-52d5-a127-75b48a197ed8.html\

Gundy and his T-shirt resulted in opinionated responses from Stephen A. Smith, Paul Finebaum and media members all over the country, but the reaction that really grabbed me was posted on Facebook by former Oklahoma State tailback Vernand Morency.

Always a go-to guy during interview sessions, Morency was thoughtful and quotable. As a Cowboy junior in 2004, he rushed for 1,474 yards. At the Rose Bowl, he gashed UCLA for 261 yards.

After Morency’s three-season NFL career, he fairly frequently returned to Stillwater for football games and alumni functions. He solicited advice from T. Boone Pickens and they wound up establishing a friendship.

When anyone would be critical of Gundy, Morency always expressed support for his former offensive coordinator. Morency would emphasize the value of having head-coaching continuity and of having an OSU man at the top of the OSU program.

Morency says his support was shaken on Monday, when he saw the photo of Gundy wearing a One America News T-shirt — promoting, in effect, a network with a reportedly lousy reputation within the black community.

Spoiler

Morency’s Facebook post: “This is the Death Penalty for Oklahoma State & recruiting! I guarantee we’ll have the most kids in the transfer portal next year. Over the last eight years no one has fought harder for Mike Gundy behind closed doors than I have, when the powers that be wanted him out.

“This is absolutely insensitive and absurd! No black or brown parent, in their right mind, would allow him to sit on their couch and try to recruit their child to Stillwater. He clearly has no clue about the culture or just doesn’t care.”

After Morency’s Facebook statement, Gundy referred to himself as a “dumb ass” for having chosen that particular shirt for a day of fishing at Lake Texoma. Morency heard the apologies and the promises to foster a healthier culture, but when contacted Thursday night he stood by his prediction that the Gundy controversy could have a “catastrophic” impact on recruiting.

“You no longer can say we have an advantage because of a beautiful stadium. Everyone has a beautiful stadium now,” Morency said. “We no longer have an advantage with uniforms. Everybody has nice uniforms now.

“Here’s what will happen: (Opposing coaches) will send the T-shirt picture or some of these videos to recruits and say, ‘Do you really want to play for this guy?’ Coaches will try to poach OSU’s recruits.”

A multi-sport superstar at Northwestern High School in Miami, Florida, Morency signed to play baseball with the Colorado Rockies. His roommate in the minors was Matt Holliday of Stillwater.

In 2002, after Morency decided he wanted a return to football, he was steered in the direction of Oklahoma State (where at that time Matt’s father, Tom Holliday, was the Cowboy baseball coach).

The parents of Haitian immigrants, Morency resides now in Austin, Texas, and has a career “in the tech business.” It’s unimaginable that he now is 40. In my mind, he’ll always be 23.

“When I wear my Mike Holder hat, I think of the job he has to do (as OSU’s athletic director),” Morency said. “His job is to raise money for the (the entire athletic department). Not just for football. Mike Gundy’s action undermines everything Mike Holder is trying to do for Oklahoma State.

“Basically, Mike Gundy is the CEO at Oklahoma State. Imagine what would happen if Elon Musk did something like Mike Gundy did with that shirt. Elon Musk would hurt the Tesla shareholders. Mike Gundy hurt the university and the alumni. I still root for Oklahoma State, but I’m concerned.”

Obviously, Morency is not optimistic that Gundy can fully recover from this self-inflicted setback. This story has several layers, but Morency is correct when he attaches his concern to recruiting.

As Pat Jones always says, “Recruiting to Stillwater is tough even on a good day.” These are not good days for OSU football.

While Morency insists that “this situation will not go away,” that’s exactly the challenge for Gundy: to, over time, make it go away.

The image-restoration project begins now. Gundy has to do and say the right things in a relentlessly consistent manner, and then hope like crazy that time can heal this wound.

• Like 2

Former Oklahoma State tailback Vernand Morency:   “Basically, Mike Gundy is the CEO at Oklahoma State. Imagine what would happen if Elon Musk did something like Mike Gundy did with that shirt. Elon Musk would hurt the Tesla shareholders. Mike Gundy hurt the university and the alumni. I still root for Oklahoma State, but I’m concerned.”

Using Elon Musk hurting Tesla shareholders by doing stupid stuff is probably not a good example... 

52 Week Range     211.00 - 1,027.48

Closed yesterday   $1000.90

OIP.4iARKovudalFTvVZEB4ujQHaEK?pid=Api&d

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1