Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m sorry, but there are equally egregious propaganda platforms posing as news outlets for the left. Most of which have been caught flat out altering or editing footage and recordings, reporting partial statements to shape narratives or flat out making up their own shit. And people buy into them hook line and sinker.  They’re entitled to without fear of being publicly and socially ostracized and possibly have their careers out in jeopardy just because someone disagrees with them. Just like Gundy. 

But it’s antithetical to Hubbard’s beliefs you say. So the F what?  Does Gundy treat him appropriately and with respect is the only thing that matters. A whole life of work can be flushed away because you don’t support x activist organization of today?  F that. 

Not public figures. There are repercussions for public figures on either side. You keep acting like he’s Joe Schmoe when he’s not.

Gundy being nice to his face is not the only thing that matters. Gundy supporting OAN actively undermines Chuba and the other black athletes he coaches/males his livelihood off of. If those guys aren’t willing to play for him while he’s doing that, then they absolutely have the right to say something and take that stance. 

And it’s not about forcing Gundy to support or take a stance in favor of BLM. It’s about him not being able to actively undermine or attack BLM by verbally and physically showing his support for organizations that attack BLM and dog whistle and still able to convince young black men to dig up and play for him. That’s perfectly fair and should be expected by someone who chooses to be a CFB HC. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m sorry, but there are equally egregious propaganda platforms posing as news outlets for the left. Most of which have been caught flat out altering or editing footage and recordings, reporting partial statements to shape narratives or flat out making up their own shit. And people buy into them hook line and sinker.  They’re entitled to without fear of being publicly and socially ostracized and possibly have their careers out in jeopardy just because someone disagrees with them. Just like Gundy. 

But it’s antithetical to Hubbard’s beliefs you say. So the F what?  Does Gundy treat him appropriately and with respect is the only thing that matters. A whole life of work can be flushed away because you don’t support x activist organization of today?  F that. 

God, of course someone is saying “both sides” in defense of OAN. The existence of other bad stuff doesn’t excuse the bullshit OAN pulls. And when someone like Gundy endorses them as the “only people telling the truth” then it’s a pretty significant red-flag that he’s bought into their crazy. That’s even before you get into the subjects of BLM or police brutality that Chubba is clearly concerned about specifically.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They basically mean "shut up and dribble". They don't want to hear what these athletes say on any relevant subject. They just want to turn on their tv and watch them entertain and dance for them and that's it. They won't admit but this is how many view athletes. Any time they speak their mind, they get so much backlash and it's usually from a certain demographic who is giving the most flack. You also have all these double standards. Laura Ingram tells Lebron to shut up and dribble since his message goes against her network's yet Drew Brees say something that aligns with her network and she said he has a right to say what he wants to say. It's fucking ridiculous.

The curtain is slowly being uncovered and exposing a lot of people. I support all these athletes taking a stand, especially college athletes. The NCAA has set up a  system to fuck them for so long and they are tired of dealing with it and sitting on their hands. I hope they wreck havoc on them all.

What do you do for a living? Does your employer pay you for that or to hear about your political beliefs? Does your employer’s customers also pay to hear your political beliefs?

Your post implies demeaning them because others only tune in to watch them “dribble” and “dance,” but that is their profession. They are entertainers, whether they are athletes, actors, musicians, etc. They are paid to entertain people. Of course they can have an opinion. Of course they can protest, or do anything else that’s legal. The first amendment does not protect your job when your protests distract from your work or offend your employer or customers. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Gundy wearing a shirt that reps a network that says BLM is a fraud is like a Southern Baptist preacher wearing a pro choice T-shirt.  While not illegal, it's a wild lapse in judgement and it shows you don't know your audience.  Stupid at best, malicious at worst.

Depends on what you mean by audience.  Not the team no, but I'd submit it's very on brand for that fanbase and state writ large.

Edited by Scholz

Posted this in the "Tell me about Oklahoma State" thread two years ago.  It explains why the school has always put up with Gundy's buffoonery and T Boone's to a lesser degree.  Coaches and their families don't want to move to the town.  Okie State fans are generally fun.  Unlike OU fans, they generally have a family or personal tie to the school and they're underdogs and they know that, unlike Aggy.  

Meh on the town.  It's one of the smallest towns of any P5 school.  (On a quick search, it's smaller than any Big 12 school except Morgantown.)  Town of similar size are Pullman, Starkville, and Oxford.  Also not close to anything.  We had to meet an a lawyer's office in Stillwater a few years ago to handle my grandmother's estate.  Driving into town, the wife said "Who put a major university here?"  Granted, it's an ag school but the town is mostly strip malls and chain stores and it's only 45,000 people so basically, if you're not affiliated with the school, there's absolutely nothing going on. 

Do agree on Mike Gundy, though.  He's the best they'll ever get there and he'll likely stay due to the Friends & Family Plan.  Could never figure out why Holder and T Boone fuck with him.  He recruits well there, considering the limitations of the town.  (See above.)  He's also donated money recently to help secure the schools in Stillwater.  Good luck if he ever leaves.  The football program will turn into what the basketball program is, that being a stepping stone to anywhere else and it'll be difficult to get anyone with options.  (Sorry, true.)

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not public figures. There are repercussions for public figures on either side. You keep acting like he’s Joe Schmoe when he’s not.

Gundy being nice to his face is not the only thing that matters. Gundy supporting OAN actively undermines Chuba and the other black athletes he coaches/males his livelihood off of. If those guys aren’t willing to play for him while he’s doing that, then they absolutely have the right to say something and take that stance. 

And it’s not about forcing Gundy to support or take a stance in favor of BLM. It’s about him not being able to actively undermine or attack BLM by verbally and physically showing his support for organizations that attack BLM and dog whistle and still able to convince young black men to dig up and play for him. That’s perfectly fair and should be expected by someone who chooses to be a CFB HC. 

Gotcha. Shut up and coach. You cannot be an advocate, mentor or friend of POC unless you support BLM. Preferably visibly and actively. Listen to or support any organization and you are beholden to every one of the or beliefs. Without question. To the end of time. 

Seriously, apply your viewpoint to any other aspect in your life and see how preposterous it gets. Are you in lockstep with everything your political candidate supports?  Your job? Family? Even if that’s true is your history of being a good person or treating those around you well all for naught due to differing beliefs from someone else. Is that enough to publicly call out, shame and endanger the  livelihood of yourself or people you disagree with?

That’s the problem. Even more so than police brutality or the racial issues of today. Because, as much as we want to solve those, we can’t have a conversation with people of differing beliefs to get to a resolution. Life is reduced to a series of either/or choices and labels, hypocritical, empty virtue signaling and and attack on others up to and including ruining their lives and careers. How many people are cowed into silence who might otherwise want to help because some woke asshole will dox them or bring down the mob for not towing the SJW line? It’s a bunch. 

Can you believe that inequality, police brutality and racial barriers exist without buying into the totality of systemic racism?  I know this will cause apoplexy and some posters to start shitting through their dicks, but the answer is yes. If a person believes in that vein and wants to redress the issues are they still an enemy of BLMs?  

Where can someone wear something they want, particularly a public figure since that is your concern, without fear of the mob?  If Gundy was photographed next to his pool in an OAN shirt is he still at fault for not being wary of his public status? What about if someone catches a shot of him in his living room?

Or we can quit all the nonsensical rules of woke social etiquette, accept that Gundy appears to be an acceptable human being with those young black men in his charge, and not give a F is his beliefs don’t completely align with all of his players. 

• Like 3

I dunno, I liked Stillwater a helluva lot more than Waco, College Station, Lubbock, and Ames.  Morgantown gets a bad wrap, that's a great place.  

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Who the fuck walks around wearing a tv news network T-shirt no matter what it’s about? 

That's like wearing a McDonald’s t shirt. 

It really does sound that way, that's why I only wear:

71qG8ea+60L._AC_UL1500_.jpg

27 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Gundy wearing a shirt that reps a network that says BLM is a fraud is like a Southern Baptist preacher wearing a pro choice T-shirt.  While not illegal, it's a wild lapse in judgement and it shows you don't know your audience.  Stupid at best, malicious at worst.

Lots of ignorance to what BLM is, myself included. I've asked my friends to send me information on BLM but I've yet to see how a donated dollar is processed. That would go a long way to helping a lot of folks understand the cause and how we can help.

• Like 3

Business up front.  Party in the back.  Racism on the shirt.  Got it!  ;) 

This is quickly becoming a story about a non-story.  That being said, I want one of those McDowell's shirts.  Only because it will help counteract the latest round of controversy surrounding the basketball/athletics department at the University of the United States.  Rampant racism there as the coach took donor money from a community business leader who suggested that the soccer program be disbanded in order to establish a "Chase the Monkey" team.  

Edited by Lobo

I dunno, I liked Stillwater a helluva lot more than Waco, College Station, Lubbock, and Ames.  Morgantown gets a bad wrap, that's a great place.  
You could substitute hell for Stillwater and this statement would still be true except for maybe Ames (never been). Talk about a low bar.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You could substitute hell for Stillwater and this statement would still be true except for maybe Ames (never been). Talk about a low bar.

Good point.  Al4ISU makes good points about Ames.  To be fair, we never really saw the town.  I've been to Iowa a dozen times but never to ISU campus, just the football stadium (just flew  up and back for that Thurs. night game a few years back).  But I've heard it's a good town with some character.  Most Big XII towns, while small and shitty, are at least populated with some nice folks and good character.  Not College Station, Waco, or Lubbock though.  Sorry.  Shithole gonna shithole.  

4 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Gotcha. Shut up and coach. You cannot be an advocate, mentor or friend of POC unless you support BLM. Preferably visibly and actively. Listen to or support any organization and you are beholden to every one of the or beliefs. Without question. To the end of time. 

Seriously, apply your viewpoint to any other aspect in your life and see how preposterous it gets. Are you in lockstep with everything your political candidate supports?  Your job? Family? Even if that’s true is your history of being a good person or treating those around you well all for naught due to differing beliefs from someone else. Is that enough to publicly call out, shame and endanger the  livelihood of yourself or people you disagree with?

That’s the problem. Even more so than police brutality or the racial issues of today. Because, as much as we want to solve those, we can’t have a conversation with people of differing beliefs to get to a resolution. Life is reduced to a series of either/or choices and labels, hypocritical, empty virtue signaling and and attack on others up to and including ruining their lives and careers. How many people are cowed into silence who might otherwise want to help because some woke asshole will dox them or bring down the mob for not towing the SJW line? It’s a bunch. 

Can you believe that inequality, police brutality and racial barriers exist without buying into the totality of systemic racism?  I know this will cause apoplexy and some posters to start shitting through their dicks, but the answer is yes. If a person believes in that vein and wants to redress the issues are they still an enemy of BLMs?  

Where can someone wear something they want, particularly a public figure since that is your concern, without fear of the mob?  If Gundy was photographed next to his pool in an OAN shirt is he still at fault for not being wary of his public status? What about if someone catches a shot of him in his living room?

Or we can quit all the nonsensical rules of woke social etiquette, accept that Gundy appears to be an acceptable human being with those young black men in his charge, and not give a F is his beliefs don’t completely align with all of his players. 

None of this is even close to what I said. Gundy can speak on politics all he wants. I don’t have a problem with it, but he’s not free from the consequences of his position.  
He’s openly supporting a network (in press conferences and wearing that shirt in public) that actively undermines his players. Their can be consequences with players and recruits who find his support of such a network insulting and problematic.  This shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend, but there’s clearly no point in discussing it with you more because you’re just creating strawmen. 

• Like 4

You gotta look at speech like the free market.  If you raise your voice politically/controversially, you are going to risk headwinds from someone.  If those headwinds have more weight than your defenders by enough to cause your superiors/customers/clients/supporters to show you the door, you are going to be shown the door.

So, no, Mike Gundy doesn't need to "Shut up and Coach", but he should fucking read the room a little better.  And if he was the coach of my team wearing an OAN shirt in June 2020, I'd pull my donations until he was gone and he'd lose all benefit of the doubt from me that he's not a racist fuckhead.  Repercussions on me are that I'd lose my season tickets and I'd be OK with that.  The shirt speaks for itself --- *in my opinion*.  Fuck him.

Edited to add -- if you get your news from and rely on OAN, then, again, *in my opinion* the burden has shifted to you to prove to me you are not a racist fuckhead. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did you ever think that recruits might be Gundy’s customers and by wearing and speaking support for OAN he offends them and loses the customer base he relies on to be able to perform his job, and therefore his bosses would be justified if they chose to fire him? Not to mention his boss, the OSU President, didn’t seem happy with his decision. 

And somehow players aren’t free from consequences for staying their political beliefs outside of games, but Gundy shouldn’t have repercussions when he makes a political statement with his clothing outside of games? 

The NFL and other players’ protests are at the game, during the National Anthem, and an “in your face” to many of their “customers.” If it wasn’t controversial, they wouldn’t have picked the anthem as when to do it. These OSU players were basically threatening to burn the program down because the coach wore a politically controversial shirt on a fishing trip with his sons. You really don’t see a difference? Where does it stop? Will coaches need to provide tax records showing their donations to BLM and NAACP and a scantron copy of their voting ballot showing they are straight ticket D’s in order for the players to be cool with them?

[Admission: Gundy is fucking stupid for wearing the shirt, no question. The attitude that it’s acceptable for people to be black balled for where they get their news or who they vote for is sickening]

• Like 1

Gundy is a public figure.  Whether he was fishing or in a stadium, he was making a public statement with his choice of shirt (which is in your face to the players attacking BLM).  Besides, he'd lauded that network in an interview prior so the "just fishing" out of the public eye argument doesn't hold water anyway.

His free speech was not infringed upon.  Repercussions to that speech is a different animal.  Just ask Kaepernick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

A little bit of both. Whatever happened between the two of them  was enough for Hubbard to walk back his stance. It was BS to handle it like he did. 

And it’s BS to go after someone over differing political beliefs like that on social media. If Gundy has to be wary of his choice of fishing shirts then Hubbard needs to understand that his platform can destroy a coach’s career. The coach doesn’t have to endorse some movement or else. Does he treat those around him respectfully and appropriately is all that matters  

Gundy has had something like 550 scholarship athletes in his program during his time at OSU. I’m sure some guys do/don’t like him as is the case in any program, but we’d have a pretty good idea if Gundy had racial issues or otherwise before now in a world of constant monitoring of all things social media. 

I don’t care that he’s goofy, dislikes scissors but loves hair gel or has a tendency to talk out of his ass. And I LOL at the people saying he was making a statement. To who? The fish? Think his family doesn’t know what he believes? Get a life. 

He has gotten into shit with OAN before - so he definitely knew wtf he was doing putting it on.  I think you're understating it as 'just a t-shirt'.  And it really doesn't matter what you or I think - if his players think it's a big deal.  If his AD thinks it's a big deal then guess what - it's a big deal. 

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Having dumb unpopular controversial opinions and expressing them openly when you are a public figure has consequences. This isn't new or shocking.

I'd LOVE to see Tom wear a shirt in public that said 

Trump is Putin's Bitch
Black lives matter
Eat the rich
Hillary is MY president

And not watch a bunch of people in this thread explode at the sight.

I bet there'd be some variation of "Shut up and coach," "Keep your opinions to yourself, Tom," "You are a representative of the university 24/7, you can't wear that in public" and "I wonder how the white county boys of the team feel about this" 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Any discussion yet on the consequences are for Chuba down the line for his “freedom of speech”?

If he had a problem with the minnow, wait til he faces the whale.

a) probably won't be any. His Tweet has been by-and-large well received and he's very good at football.

b) what is the whale in this analogy?

I'm staying out of the politics, but I will say that as much as I hate losing to those guys, I have massive respect for Gundy and the success he has had there and I love Eskimo Joes and SG Ammo and everything else in Stillwater. Gundy seems to be a good person and (differences in politics notwithstanding) cares about his players. 

As long as the university stays behind him, he should be able to keep his head down ride this out and the university would be absolutely stupid to dump him unless and until the pressure gets to be too much, which I think isn't going to happen provided he's smart and goes into an underground bunker until August camp starts. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

a) probably won't be any. His Tweet has been by-and-large well received and he's very good at football.

b) what is the whale in this analogy?

There will be, just a question of the measure.   Whale=NFL owners.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I love this - the vast majority of people had zero issues when Kaep got run out on a rail.  But now that coaches on the other side of BLM are catching shit - all these people from a certain side of the aisle have come to defend said coaches.  

Calibrate your comparison scale..  it’s a little off.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

It's not nearly as close as you think.  The point stands.  

Well - the people that matter...you know, not you or me - the players...they seem to think it's along the same lines.  So you know what?  Fuck your opinion and fuck mine.  The players who decided that t shirt is as much of an issue have made their case.  If Gundy didn't tuck his tail like a bitch and apologize for something he really doesn't feel sorry about - he would be long gone.  Point stands buddy. 

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well - the people that matter...you know, not you or me - the players...they seem to think it's along the same lines.  So you know what?  Fuck your opinion and fuck mine.  The players who decided that t shirt is as much of an issue have made their case.  If Gundy didn't tuck his tail like a bitch and apologize for something he really doesn't feel sorry about - he would be long gone.  Point stands buddy. 

Perhaps what Veerbone meant was that Kap stood up for his beliefs when confronted, despite the ramifications, and Gundy crawfished to avoid a player revolt and potentially losing his job, allowing him to revert back to only verbally espousing his beliefs when hanging out with his fishing/hunting buddies and rich alumni.  So, yeah, comparison is a little off in that way. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

10 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Perhaps what Veerbone meant was that Kap stood up for his beliefs when confronted, despite the ramifications, and Gundy crawfished to avoid a player revolt and potentially losing his job, allowing him to revert back to only verbally espousing his beliefs when hanging out with his fishing/hunting buddies and rich alumni.  So, yeah, comparison is a little off in that way. 

If so, mea culpa...I was way off and concede.  

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If so, mea culpa...I was way off and concede.  

Should have had the sarcastic font on.  I am sure that's not what he/she meant.  But hopefully I am wrong, and if so, mea culpa as well.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Posted this in the "Tell me about Oklahoma State" thread two years ago.  It explains why the school has always put up with Gundy's buffoonery and T Boone's to a lesser degree.  Coaches and their families don't want to move to the town.  Okie State fans are generally fun.  Unlike OU fans, they generally have a family or personal tie to the school and they're underdogs and they know that, unlike Aggy.  

Meh on the town.  It's one of the smallest towns of any P5 school.  (On a quick search, it's smaller than any Big 12 school except Morgantown.)  Town of similar size are Pullman, Starkville, and Oxford.  Also not close to anything.  We had to meet an a lawyer's office in Stillwater a few years ago to handle my grandmother's estate.  Driving into town, the wife said "Who put a major university here?"  Granted, it's an ag school but the town is mostly strip malls and chain stores and it's only 45,000 people so basically, if you're not affiliated with the school, there's absolutely nothing going on. 

Do agree on Mike Gundy, though.  He's the best they'll ever get there and he'll likely stay due to the Friends & Family Plan.  Could never figure out why Holder and T Boone fuck with him.  He recruits well there, considering the limitations of the town.  (See above.)  He's also donated money recently to help secure the schools in Stillwater.  Good luck if he ever leaves.  The football program will turn into what the basketball program is, that being a stepping stone to anywhere else and it'll be difficult to get anyone with options.  (Sorry, true.)

It's not for me, but there are people who genuinely like living in small towns. Football coaches are often former players who often came from small towns. I'm always surprised when players are interviewed and they like Stillwater because it reminds them of the small town they came from, and Stillwater is sometimes larger than some of those towns, especially since we recruit from small towns in Texas. There are also people who will live anywhere for $5 million a year. The bigger obstacle is that we're not a blueblood and a stepping stone for anyone who is not a native son.

15 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Lil of this & a lil of that.  The Doc & I are primarily on the same page despite what I believe are different political sides.  All good as we seem to agree on the most important piece..  opportunity & equality.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Veerbone said:

Lil of this & a lil of that.  The Doc & I are primarily on the same page despite what I believe are different political sides.  All good as we seem to agree on the most important piece..  opportunity & equality.

Thanks, and sorry I misunderstood.  At least we show you can keep shit civil as you discuss and disagree (even if we didn't fully disagree).   Contrary to popular belief everyone doesn't want to watch the world burn.  If Gundy really changes and shows support where his players need, it's a win for everyone.  

• Like 1