HornGrandioso

Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Legit.

Well, fortunately I didn’t have to prove any sort of competency before taking them home.  

Need info:  what guitar effects would you say are being used on The Cure's "A Forest" after the drums come in?  Things change a bit after the intro, so I'm specifically trying to find that jangly tone that's present once the whole band kicks in.  I suspect there's some chorus and reverb but is there something else I'm not aware of?  It doesn't sound like run of the mill chorus effect, which I tend not to like.

This clip should start at the point I'm talking about:

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

3ea060a988784f7a2b31f7f20696a7df.jpg

Please direct me to the place that sells pedals for $8.99.

Please direct me to the place that sells pedals for $8.99.

No kidding. A friend who does a lot of thrifting sent that too me. He wouldn’t tell me.

That's no friend.

Bass player in a previous band and long time drinking buddy. It’ll come out eventually.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need info:  what guitar effects would you say are being used on The Cure's "A Forest" after the drums come in? 

I remember reading somewhere that they got some of the chorus effects by double tracking guitars... first tuned down a few cents, then up a few cents.  Don't know if that's bullshit or not.

Google search led me to this:  http://www.effectsbay.com/2016/08/sound-like-cure-guitar-not/ 

Thanks -- do you think a flanger + delay would be enough to get close to that sound on A Forest?  I almost never play through effects and I'm kinda lost.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks -- do you think a flanger + delay would be enough to get close to that sound on A Forest?  I almost never play through effects and I'm kinda lost.

I thought the MXR Phase 45 might do it..  Starts at the 3 minute mark.  But that opening clip with Andy on Call Me The Breeze is just a fun way to get the day rolling.  

I have this pedal and really like it.  

Posted (edited)

@jimmyjazz, I was going to say sounds like a flanger.  I checked on the fender tone app that allows sharing of amp modeling + effects chain for Mustang GT amps and someone created a “Cure” setting described as “Robert Smith playing a forest in Japan.”   I have no idea how it sounds, but the chain is:

1. Sine Flanger

2. ’65 Deluxe Reverb

3. Mono Delay

4. Arena Reverb 

In that order.

Edited by Goredho

Good suggests, guys.  I think this will get me started.  The guitar is already tracked, so I'm trying to juice it up in the computer with plugins.

Anyone got one of these or have something else to recommend for a looper to support open-mic night gigging and/or home recording?

I'm still shopping for a solid Tremolo pedal. Can't seem to make up my mind. I've considered everything from the cheapass behriger and Dano Tuna Melt to the TC Pipeline, which is about the most I would think about spending for this effect. Cheap is good, but I want a quality pedal, no ciicking sounds. I'm not going to gig and it probably won't move much, but I want something that will hold up.

Regardless of whether I will buy it or not, this demo cover of Julia at the beginning of this is pretty awesome.  Seems like a good value for a pedal, but I don't like the top side jack in and output for the pedalboard.

I never realized what a pain in the ass putting a pedal board together would be, getting shit where it needs to be, finding out there's a cord not long enough to reach around or two where the out to in bump together without enough space. And then you start on the second row, and that's lots of fun.

The only other board I ever used was a single row of all Boss pedals in a box built for them. This sucks.

And velcro is bullshit. Got some industrial strength, shit sticks to every damn thing except for one and a half of the pedals i need it to stick to. I was better off leaving all my mess on the floor, less space, more efficient.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, DougO said:

I'm still shopping for a solid Tremolo pedal. Can't seem to make up my mind. I've considered everything from the cheapass behriger and Dano Tuna Melt to the TC Pipeline, which is about the most I would think about spending for this effect. Cheap is good, but I want a quality pedal, no ciicking sounds. I'm not going to gig and it probably won't move much, but I want something that will hold up.

Regardless of whether I will buy it or not, this demo cover of Julia at the beginning of this is pretty awesome.  Seems like a good value for a pedal, but I don't like the top side jack in and output for the pedalboard.

Grab a Bad Cat Mini Trem.  Every bit as good as the Supa Trem in a normal sized box.