Rick and Morty

Goo Punch

Yeah the last episode was pretty meh, but this one was anything but.

This one was actually pretty clever and had several LOL moments.

Of course the last 2 minutes was probably the highlight, but that was actually a pretty good episode.

Okay, so with three episodes left in the season, we got hit with another good one. (Depending on what people count as good, this would be the second or third good episode this season, after the heist or snake eps or both.)

1. For the second time this season, we get Rick committing to a really stupid bit to fuck with Morty. Fortunately, the writers didn't hit us over the head with it throughout the entire episode like they did in the heist episode.

2. Was that the second or third extended, wordless montage this season? We had one in Rattlestar Ricklactica.  Are we bumping into a rule of three limit or is this going to be a new trope they eventually overuse?

3. Top five? No way, but definitely above average even for the prior seasons.

4. The after credits scene would, on the other hand, be top five. I looked it up; he'd be 95 now. The ending quip was perfect.

5. To be fair, we continue to see Beth and Jerry lacking both screen time and the apparent character growth from last season.

• Like 2

Man that episode was great, and was fully expecting to see a "meh" shit in here.

Perfect episode...and yeah it's among the better episodes for sure. So clever.  They never took the "easy" way out IMO.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

my dvr didn't record this episode. where can i watch it?

This Friday @ 8:30p, Saturday @ 3:30a & 9:30p on [as] or you can stream it at adultswim.com. Should be available on demand if that works better.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

First time I've ever heard the song. I was shocked Clapton produced Huey Lewis style songs in the 80's. "It's In the Way That You Use It" could have been on one of the Back to the Future soundtracks. 

Close, it was used in The Color of Money with Cruise and Newman. 

it's really funny that the same people who *lose it* when even a single criticism is made are the same people who scream "Top five episode of all time!!" at the first good episode of the season. I'd love to see those top 5 lists. 

That episode was good, but nowhere near as good as the best episodes of all time. Let's try and keep it in our pants here. And if we can't do that, then let's not all have a coronary every time someone else says something negative about the show. 

You know, if you asked 10 people for their top 5 list, you’d get 20 different episodes. People can have different opinions than the great and all knowing Derka. 

(and this wouldn’t hit my top 5 anyhow) 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

People can have different opinions

That's my entire point dude. People in this thread meltdown every time someone doesn't slurp the show/it's latest episode, only to have those same people going way over the top with praise for what was the first good episode of the season. I'm not going to melt down the way they did/do (again, people from this thread literally went to bellmont and demanded that immamac ban me for not liking an episode), I'm just going to continue to point out that the fanboys with R&M blinders on don't get to rule this thread and decide that only their opinions are allowed, particularly when their opinions are so over the top and fanboyish.

Edited by Goo Punch

If Ricks and mortys jump universes for their escapades, why don’t any other ricks  and mortys seem to jump into our Rick and morty regular universe (which they themselves are not the originals but took over after ruining their real home universe)?

or do they and we just don’t know?  Has it ever been established that each episode involves the same rick and morty and family?

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Ricks and mortys jump universes for their escapades, why don’t any other ricks  and mortys seem to jump into our Rick and morty regular universe (which they themselves are not the originals but took over after ruining their real home universe)?

or do they and we just don’t know?  Has it ever been established that each episode involves the same rick and morty and family?

i feel like we have seen other ricks and mortys appearing in our regular rick and morty universe, i just can't put my finger on exactly when it's happened. also, i feel like it's been established that in all likelihood we've been watching several different Rick's and Morty's, and that there aren't just the two main ones who we saw in the pilot. But again, I can't remember anything specific enough to back that up. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Everybody would still agree that the Ricklantis Mixup is the best episode.

I actually think that there wouldn't be a ton of variance in people's top five lists to this point. I can think of two or three episodes off top that i think would appear in probably 4 out 5 lists. this show at its very best is just unreal- it blows my mind that a 22 minute episode can feel damn near like a feature length film, but that's Dan Harmon at his best. the bar is set very high, and when it gets met/exceeded it's damn near universally received as such. 

No one melted down when I said it wasn't top five. Picking a top five is very hard for this show because there have been so many great episodes. My top five off the top of my head are (in release order):

Lawnmower Dog

Rixty Minutes (the original interdimensional cable ep)

The Wedding Squanchers/The Rickshank Rickdemption (it was a season-ending cliffhanger, so it should be counted as a two-parter)

Ricklantis Mixup

Rattlestar Ricklacktica (snake jazz)

1 hour ago, Apep said:

No one melted down when I said it wasn't top five. 

Can't I just be hyperbolic without being called out on it? Gah.

And yeah, your list is pretty damn good, and reflective of what I think a lot of lists would look like. For me Get Schwifty amd Pickle Rick might replace two of your five, but they're all in the same ballpark. 

Holy shit we had 2 good episodes in a row. I love watching literally everyone roast Jerry. “Moses is home and he’s ready to burn some bush” 

Summer is savage af. “He’s probably sucking off a tree and having the time of his life” 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

After credits was funny. Rick has planet fever. 

the Planets Only bit alone was funnier than the first several episodes of this season combined. the show has much better over the last couple of episodes. not sure what the issue was earlier on in this season, but they're back in form. 

the Planets Only bit alone was funnier than the first several episodes of this season combined. the show has much better over the last couple of episodes. not sure what the issue was earlier on in this season, but they're back in form. 

I mentioned it after the first couple, it felt like Roiland and Harmon were going out of their way to make a specific point to all the toxic fascist nerd fucks that were bitching at them and women and the regular fans.

The first episode was one thing but I felt like 3-4 of this seasons episodes were pointed at telling the fans to back up but it wasn’t as fun as it has been for the rest of us...

15 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I mentioned it after the first couple, it felt like Roiland and Harmon were going out of their way to make a specific point to all the toxic fascist nerd fucks that were bitching at them and women and the regular fans.

The first episode was one thing but I felt like 3-4 of this seasons episodes were pointed at telling the fans to back up but it wasn’t as fun as it has been for the rest of us...

I guess I missed something.  What are you talking about?

I guess I missed something.  What are you talking about?

The hardcore neckbeard nerd fans got really toxic and it all kinda came to head with the McDonald’s Szechuan sauce debacle. But also had a pretty hardcore doxxing of the newly hired female writers.

Basically Incels that thought they were smarter than everyone else took Rick Sanchez as their hero and told everyone else to shut the fuck up or else. Including Roiland and Harmon.

this season was a letdown overall. the best episode from this season wouldn't make my top 10, which really sucks considering that we had such a long layoff followed by two underwhelming, five-episode mini seasons. they need to do better in the future. 

• Like 1

I really do enjoy the plot focused episodes that move along their character development. A lot of good laughs in that finale, and a bit more background explained. I'm interested in the 2-Beth dynamic, but I imagine they will just forget about cool space-Beth and act like nothing happened in s5e01.