Media/Hollywood's anti-Christian campaign

Monster

I used to laugh at my Christian friends when they talked about being ridiculed.  "Maybe in other countries, but not here."  Or if I was in a mood, "Maybe you deserve it."  Well, after watching far too many movies and tv shows and reading too many message board/social media posts/news articles over the last two years, I'm not laughing at them anymore. 

Since a somewhat notable election, there would appear to be a coordinated and sustained effort to shame and vilify people of the Christian faith.  I submit the following examples for your consideration and look forward to your rebuttals...

• Fuck You 1

Condor, season 1—Story’s is about an evil Christian organization planning to release a deadly plague at Mecca.  This evil Christian cabal is led by a CIA  director-type (CIA is called ‘Christian In Action’ by the shows hero).  The arch villain is  always praying on camera…like in this image, at the side of his bed like a child.

fYdpspf.jpg?3

aAvlfpb.jpg?1

An ally of the hero enters and points a gun at his head, says something like,  “I find you here praying like a kid wishing on Santa”  Again, the guy praying is the villain of the story. 

The Punisher, season 2 –premise.  Evil Christian-type villain does a bunch of evil shit I don’t know I got to the third episode and started losing interest and haven't gone back to it to finish.   I'm assuming the evil Christian kept quoting bible verses as he did despicable evil thing. 

eZ89cNE.jpg?1

Something's not quite right with this church...can't put my finger on it...

56z9QQs.jpg?1

Oh that's right...they're Nazis.   Here is our arch villain at home, showing off his Nazi tattoos with a crucifix on the wall in his bedroom. 

• Fuck You 1

The Blacklist, season 6—Two white, Methodist pawnbrokers are out there doing bad things.  The fact they are Methodist doesn’t have anything to do with the plot, its just thrown in there as if its just one of their many terrible attributes.   

4PLMT0s.jpg?1

Here we see her crucifix conspicuously worn outside of her sweater--in case we forgot she was Christian…while she guns down this hapless young man. 

2jJmrTd.jpg?1

The crucifix remains in the frame for the rest of the scene.  These damned Christians pawnbrokers! 

Subtlety is a part of the new campaign and what makes it particularly psyops-like.   If you want something a bit more obvious, let's go back to 2013 for 'Sweetwater'. 

xiCD9AH.jpg?1

Here’s the evil-rapist-murderer priest painting his one of his gigantic white crosses with a fresh coat of white paint...before descending and mercilessly taunting and eventually killing another guy.  The movie's premise is that he killed these two young men, Noah and Levi, I believe...something similar to that.

I could go on, but what would be the point.  There’s an entire GENRE of evil priest and evil preacher movies and shows.  Every fourth show I watch now has an evil Christian as one of the characters.  As a non participant, I can't help but conclude that the media/hollywood wants me to hate Christians.  It reminds me of the 90's and 2000's, when, as a young man, I was taught to hate Muslims by TV and movies.  

Are we just not going to do religious tolerance in America anymore?  We done with all that?

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

The main TV show vilifying Christians is the evening news. You know, when they cover the Catholic child molestation scandal which never seems to end and which only seems to grow in scale. 

This is actually what I was referring to when I was thinking 'you guys deserve it'...but now that I'm seeing anti-Christian stuff EVERYWHERE, it's changed the way I look at some of these 'news reports'.   If there is a coordinated anti-Christian effort, those in charge need to dial it back about 5 notches.  People far more important an influential are undoubtedly noticing the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Atx71 said:

Seems the backlash is due to Christian intolerance of those that don't believe just like they do. 

Oh....and the hypocrisy of embracing a serial adulterer who mocks the poor and disabled.

You need some butt salve to go with this rebuttal? 

I'll take all the butt salve you've got, thank you! 

But okay.  I've got you registered with "Trump did this/They did it first."

There is anti(insert something here) everywhere if you go looking for it. 5 pieces of evidence across the whole TV spectrum is not some grand strategy. There is more anti Muslim propaganda than Christian. Is Christianity getting called out more? Yes. But in the internet/information age, any group of people that has done any wrong will get called out. Why should Christianity get some pass?

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

There is anti(insert something here) everywhere if you go looking for it. 5 pieces of evidence across the whole TV spectrum is not some grand strategy. There is more anti Muslim propaganda than Christian. Is Christianity getting called out more? Yes. But in the internet/information age, any group of people that has done any wrong will get called out. Why should Christianity get some pass?

Because they have never been called out before. At least not until the children they raped started talking. 

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I could have posted 200 examples, but who has the energy for that?   I agree with "Why should Christians get a pass'."   They shouldn't.   And I agree, there is a ton of anti-Muslim propaganda out there.  The 90's and 2000's were almost exclusively anti-Muslim (In the US and UK).  However, as a consumer of main stream media, I disagree that everyone is getting their turn in the dunk tank...at least, not in movies and TV, where young people often look to form their opinions about the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monster said:

I could have posted 200 examples, but who has the energy for that?   I agree with "Why should Christians get a pass'."   They shouldn't.   And I agree, there is a ton of anti-Muslim propaganda out there.  The 90's and 2000's were almost exclusively anti-Muslim (In the US and UK).  However, as a consumer of main stream media, I disagree that everyone is getting their turn in the dunk tank...at least, not in movies and TV, where young people often look to form their opinions about the world.

How old are you, 70?

You think kids are watching network TV? LOL

Just now, Monster said:

Why are you afraid for young people to look at things critically? Or must they only look at the best parts of the Christian system?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

LOL. This has been going on for a while before Trump.  Be honest for once at least. This is real. 

It has, thus opening up Christianity to ridicule.

*assuming you were referencing the hypocrisy of Christianity and the political stances of their flock

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 1

OP, is this anti-Christian or is it merely character, plot development?  The kid being abducted is less apt to resist because he thinks Rawls and the priest looking guy are authority figures.  Characterizing a villain as a devout Christian or priest/preacher can signify that they believe in the righteousness of whatever they're doing and that they have the power and cover that a powerful institution like a church can provide. 

Complaining about some less than flattering portrayals in a few scattered TV shows and trying to claim victimhood in a country where declaring your Christianity is pretty much a prerequisite for holding any elected office is some weak shit.  

• Like 6

Christian values as portrayed in the Bible have historically stood in contrast to the culture at large, even when the culture was ostensibly Christian. Some good, old-fashioned American values are unchristian. I’m not going to get worked up about a few villains wearing Christian symbols; I don’t think that’s all that new or a big deal anyway. The far greater villains are those calling exposing child exploitation an attack from the devil.

This does seem like a good time to point out that among those who preach tolerance, anti-Christian bigotry specifically or anti-Christian bigotry disguised as broader anti-religious bigotry has become increasingly normalized and tolerated. All the political justifications and gaslighting are still simply justifications for bigotry. This bigotry stands in contrast with specific criticisms of the belief system, it’s churches, or its members. As evidence I’ll submit about 10% of the posts about 5 pages from now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

LOL. This has been going on for a while before Trump.  Be honest for once at least. This is real. 

BTW Monster the collective will roast you alive on this thread.  Be prepared.  They believe Christians in this country brought this on themselves and deserve it. 

No. Thanks for trying to understand, but as usual you've failed. In this country we have the freedom to practice any religion and to ridicule any religion. 

I'd be far more concerned if the opposite was happening and we were somehow forbidding the ridicule of any religion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

BTW Monster the collective will roast you alive on this thread.  Be prepared.  They believe Christians in this country brought this on themselves and deserve it. 

I assumed I'd have to  find a new message board when I created the thread.  :)

So far it looks like the most popular reaction to a coordinated campaign against a major religion in America is that 'Christians deserve ridicule".  

• Like 1

So far it looks like the most popular reaction to a coordinated campaign against a major religion in America is that 'Christians deserve ridicule".  

Just the whiny ones that think they’re above being criticized.

• Like 5

But you knew that when you started a troll thread. 

• Like 1

Just now, tjhooker said:

Obviously people can say and do anything they want.  So can media for that matter.  It is now very OK in the media to bash Christianity.  It is OK.  No one is going to call them out amongst them.  Now if it was being done with other religions watch out. 

In rural Texas and the South until recently, if you wanted to wear a scarlet letter for everyone to see and judge.....just announce that you were an atheist. Your life would be living hell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

The main TV show vilifying Christians is the evening news. You know, when they cover the Catholic child molestation scandal which never seems to end and which only seems to grow in scale. 

If your God allows His representatives on earth to systematically abuse thousands and thousands of children over the course of generations -- that we know of -- then your God probably sucks. Time to consider the possibility that He is a human invention, nothing more.

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Thats true. I don't deny that. That also is not very Christian.  Believe me I am not a fan of the Christian right.  They would not agree with me on many social issues.  I also think they turn off people.  That does not mean though this anti Christian bias should be tolerated in the media.  It bleeds through.  Whether it moves, TV or news reporting.  I think it comes from liberals blaming Christianity for all the sins of the past and the present for that matter so they feel the need for payback. 

Soooo.....censorship? Sounds very Trumpian.

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Thats true. I don't deny that. That also is not very Christian.  Believe me I am not a fan of the Christian right.  They would not agree with me on many social issues.  I also think they turn off people.  That does not mean though this anti Christian bias should be tolerated in the media.  It bleeds through.  Whether it moves, TV or news reporting.  I think it comes from liberals blaming Christianity for all the sins of the past and the present for that matter so they feel the need for payback. 

What are you advocating for, exactly, if you suggest that this anti Christian bias should not be "tolerated"? What is your solution? 

Just now, tjhooker said:

Your response proves my point and confirms what I already knew. It's much like the guilt many of you feel for being born white. 

Damn, it must be so hard to be you. Is there a gofundme for your group of "followers of ideas that are outdated and no longer valued in modern society"?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

How about just shoot down the middle? No bias at all.  Christianity nor any other religion or beyond being criticized.  But it is totally OK to be biased against Christianity in Hollywood and media.  It isn't frowned upon but say the same thing about Islam and watch out. 

Now I cant decide whether you are a troll or an idiot. Certainly consumed too much Hannity. Sad. 

Just now, tjhooker said:

How about just shoot down the middle? No bias at all.  Christianity nor any other religion or beyond being criticized.  But it is totally OK to be biased against Christianity in Hollywood and media.  It isn't frowned upon but say the same thing about Islam and watch out. 

Let's take it a step further. No ridicule of flat earthers. Or birtherism. Or fascism. Or any other idea. Just let people believe in their own random ideas without critique. 

That what you want? To not be challenged on your ideas? 

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

How about just shoot down the middle? No bias at all.  Christianity nor any other religion are beyond being criticized.  But it is totally OK to be biased against Christianity in Hollywood and media.  It isn't frowned upon but say the same thing about Islam and watch out. 

What about letting a handful of virtually irrelevant network TV dramas occasionally feature a Christian bad guy, using storylines largely ripped off from actual headlines in today's society? 

Because that's what we're talking about. Not some grand conspiracy. 

I used to laugh at my troll friends when they talked about being ridiculed.  "Maybe in other countries, but not here."  Or if I was in a mood, "Maybe you deserve it."  Well, after reading far too many messagge board troll threads, I'm not laughing at them anymore. 

Since a somewhat notable election, there would appear to be a coordinated and sustained effort to troll political message boards.  I submit the following examples for your consideration and look forward to your rebuttals...

This entire thread. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

"followers of ideas that are outdated and no longer valued in modern society"

it's worse than that, bruin buddy.  what we are learning by the hour is the true motivations behind these organizations.  most amazing thing to me is how they maneuvered to do their evil tax-free.  unbelievable.