ABGB vs PHP

dingleberryswitzer

ABGB vs PHP  

37 members have voted

1. 1. ABGB vs pho

• ABGB
    • PhP
    • Something really cool that I don't even know about.

Both are really high quality pizza/brewpubs.  Both have world class beer with pizza that's good even if your not buzzed.   I can't really decide which one I like better. For a while it was ABGB all the way, but last couple times I've been in Austin I've gone to PHP out of convenience, and it didn't dissapoint

ABGB:

Pros: probably better beer overall but  that's a personal preference.    Sweet outdoor space, even when it's hot, there's shade.  Cons: parking can be tricky, are they  still anal about making changes/substitutions on their food?  

PhP, pros: more than a trio of ipas, more locations ,more food options if you want something besides pizza (sidenote: Jebus, who goes to a pizza/brewpub and orders a salad and soda)

Cons : I find the crust to be good but too thick.  

Vote, and discuss.

I like the beers at PHP more but the food at ABGB more. We’ve had some really bad experiences at PHP (south) with food. We spend a lot of Sunday afternoons at ABGB when the weather is nice. 

Both can be absolute clusterfucks these days. 

PH pizza is pretty bad.  ABGB pizza is better than average.  Both have good beers.  Therefore, ABGB >> PHP.  

There are a few more beer choices I like at Pinthouse, though, and it's a lot closer to our house, so we pretty much limit ABGB to weekend nights, often to see a band and get the kids some kulture.  (And pizza.)

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I voted PHP because I enjoy their Nitro Seal. I’ve never been to ABGB becsuse I’m lazy and stick to the north side 

This is me. I once went to ABGB at a time that I thought was early enough and parking was an absolute bitch so we left. We’re close to PH Burnet. The pizza is fine, and I really like the beer. 

We don’t really go out for pizza anymore, and when we do we prefer Buffalina Due (yeah, I know it’s a completely different vibe, but the talent is quality).

On 3/12/2019 at 2:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

PH pizza is pretty bad.  ABGB pizza is better than average.  Both have good beers.  Therefore, ABGB >> PHP.  

In addition to better pizza, ABGB also has bands 3-4 nights a week as well as a strong variety of other excellent food besides pizza. 

I'll give them a tie on the beer quality, although PHP gets a little bit of an edge with their expanded variety of house beers. 

Beer
ABGB 1
PHP 1.25 (because they have enough gear to keep a wider variety of house beers on tap regularly)

Food
ABGB 2
PHP 1

Bands
ABGB 1
PHP 0

Which gets us to...
ABGB 4
PHP  2.25

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 2

Pinthouse’s pizza is meh, but their pizza rolls are good. For the first round of beers, I like that you can order food and beer in the same line at ABGB. For the next round(s), I like that Pinthouse has a separate line for beer. And I hate ABGB’s parking.

Edited by HenryJames
  • Like 1

I don't know that you have to choose. I enjoy both. I like the beer selection at PHP a little more, and the food and atmosphere at ABGB a little more. But both have great beers and good food (pizza at ABGB and pizza rolls at PHP). As a southsider, I feel lucky to have them both very close. 

• Like 1

I believe that's the old Dance Across Texas.

Fresh off its recent Round Rock opening, brewpub and pizzeria Pinthouse Pizza is continuing to expand in Austin with its fourth location in McKinney at 2201 East Ben White Boulevard, with no projected opening date as of yet.

The new Pinthouse Far South won’t include a full kitchen, as the co-owner and director of marketing Nicolaas Van Biene revealed to Eater. This might mean it won’t fire up pizza. The brewery portion will be closer in size to the Round Rock one, as opposed to the Burnet and South Lamar ones (read: larger).

On 3/25/2019 at 7:41 PM, immamac said:

there was always something just off about ABGB to me - I can't quite put my finger on it. 

Pinthouse was always solid, never great and got my vote here for convenience factor.

Love ABGB for beer and hanging out, but I feel this way about their food. Maybe I'm the only one, but I think their pizza absolutely sucks ass and have yet to eat anything there that I absolutely loved.

Only been to ABGB once but thought the pizza was okay.  Something I'd go back for but we live in Leander so not worth the drive.  If we venture south for pizza it is Bufalina or Home Slice.  

PHP was my vote strictly for the beer and pizza rolls.  The fact that Electric Jellyfish is available at Burnet and Round Rock makes it the clear winner.  Their pizza is garbage but I could smash those pizza rolls all day.  

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I guess I need to try the pizza rolls at PHP.  How is it possible to make terribly mediocre pizza but great pizza rolls?  That's kinda like serving uninspired chicken quesadillas but fantastic chicken soft tacos.

Their pizzas always seem a little dry.  The pizza rolls on the other hand, are really nicely cooked.  Less surface area expose to heat maybe?  It's got to be something with the ovens.

Regardless, those pizza rolls are indeed really tasty. I like their salads too.  I usually get a couple of pizza rolls, a salad, and lots and lots of beer,

On 4/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, utee94 said:

those pizza rolls are indeed really tasty. I like their salads too.  I usually get a couple of pizza rolls, a salad, and lots and lots of beer,

Same. When I worked near the Burnet location I would often get the lunch special that was a large salad, pizza roll, and a beer. Their pizza rolls were/are great. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Are they pepperoni only?

Yes... and very tasty.

• 3 months later...

For my taste, the beer at ABGB is better, and it’s not close (i’m not a fan of NE IPAs, beer should be bitter- west coast pales and northern German pilsners FTW). Food is of similar quality.  Getting a table at either sucks when busy.

During our last visit to PHP on burnet, I opened a tab at the bar, then ordered food at the food counter once we got a table and they added it to the tab. I went to the food counter to close out because there was no line.  They made me get back in the long ass bar line because that is where I opened the tab.  Fuck that.  If I can add to the tab at both counters, let me close it at either. Made no god damn sense.  

That being said, my kids love their Caesar salad and pretzels, so we’ll be back.  Also, you can order a scoop of Amy’s vanilla for $1 and have a beer yourself if you want to get your kids an afternoon treat (it is listed as an add-on to the other deserts, but they’ll sell it by itself if you ask)

• 5 weeks later...