2019 Masters

markstanco

If Bones was still on his bag, I'd give Phil better odds, that said, he'll do something really stupid that will lead to a couple bad holes.... we just have to guess what day it will be.

Be nice to see Tiger go scorched earth soon and leave everyone buzzing, probably finds a top ten landing spot instead.

One of the -6s will be there along with DJ in the end Imo.

From 2015-2018, Spieth was 4, 26, 2, and 23 in shots gained tee to green and 9, 2, 48 and 123 in strokes gained putting.

This season, he is and 172 and 70.  

Despite his length disadvantage, He was also in the Top 50 every season in strokes gained off the tee until this season where he is currently 203.

2015: Outstanding all around player

2016: Best putter in the world

2017: Adequate off the tee, one of the best in the world approaching/around the green and adequate putting

2018: Overall game in decline and can no longer putt

2019: Web.com

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

(This isnt directed totally at this comment just wanted to share some JS takes)

He might have been 2-3 years ago at times. He's always been poor off the tee relative to some of the best on tour. I agree that his approach game in spots during his career has been phenomenal, but it's his putting, play around the green and ability to seize the moment that set him apart right out of the gate.

I think something to consider is that he was maybe due for a downturn like this at some point. He seems to play to the level of the field a little too often and at his peak ability he's never displayed the complete mastery of the game that you often saw from Tiger or see at times from Rory (shit, even DJ has that in the bag at times) - but, you don't necessarily that to be a hall of fame golfer.

Spieth will get back to playing championship level golf and I doubt he's done winning tournaments. He's just too talented not too. I don't know if he will ever rattle off a run like he did from 2015-2017 again but he's just 25 years old. How many guys can you name that won 3 majors before 25 that never did shit after that? 

Golf is a fickle, fickle game and he's got 20 years ahead of him if he takes care of himself. Tiger has kind of jaded the way that we perceive all-time success for the post Tiger generation. I seriously doubt anyone on tour right now ever sniffs 14 majors, let alone hits double digits.

Spieth is in my mind quite easily the 2nd best talent in the post Tiger generation (i.e. since Tiger's last major) and he isn't in a ton of danger of losing that crown to any of his protégés (until Kopeka or DJ rattle off another major or two or Dechambeau goes Tom Watson on the tour's ass). He's just as close as jumping Rory as the greatest golfer of the post Tiger generation as falling into David Duval oblivion (who again has one major and a Players to Spieth's 3/4 legs of the slam - Spieth is already a better player than DD).

I've never been a huge Spieth guy (just comes across as a douche tbh) but I would hate to see him not compete for majors and be a face of golf for a long time.

And shit. There's a lot of golf to play. He's just 9 strokes back.

Tiger spoiled us.  My business partner and I were talking about speith the other day and he argued that if his career ended right now he'd be HOF.  I'm not sure I buy that but the guy has a ton of time left.  I doubt he goes Duval but he has serious holes in his game right now that he has to humble himself to correct.  That being said, with his wedding and whatever other bullshit he had going on off the course last year he was never going to have a year like 2017 or 2016 or 2015.  A professional athlete that is in an individual sport isn't going to gain strokes on the field by being distracted off the field.  It just wasn't going to happen.

I think on the grander scale, you have Phil and Tiger that are HOF and are so far into the HOF that it makes everyone else look like they aren't getting in.  However, Rory, Ernie, Brooks, Padraig, and Speith are probably all HOF worthy if their careers ended right now. Spieth and Brooks would probably be controversial, brooks especially. You'd probably throw DJ in that group too because he has won 20 tourneys with one being a major.  Point being, we have to adjust our standards as the tiger/phil era comes to an end.

Jack was speaking about the fields in different eras the other day and he said that his era had a handful of great golfers but no depth.  He said the tiger era was tiger and then everyone else.  He said this era isn't massively excellent talent (not tiger level) at the top but is very deep and he's spot on.

12 hours ago, Hate said:

He’s right to an extent. There were 10 people Vegas listed as favorites before him, including Jordan Speith. He rarely gets mentioned amongst the greatest current players even though he’s won 3 of the last 6 majors. He’s not very likeable, but he can play some golf and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ran away with this.

On a different note, has anyone ever sounded more stupid than Brandal Chamblee saying that Koepka self sabotaged his career by dieting the way he has? Chamblee needs to be a little more diplomatic with his criticism and concerns. He should say “I’m concerned this could” instead of definitively stating that something is going to happen. I like Chamblee, but he makes himself look like a jackass sometimes.

All I have to say is the dude's name is Brandal Chamblee.  The dude was born to make an ass out of himself.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Just cant get into BK, i cant wrap my head around someone being so good at majors and doing jack shit else.

He's the prize fighter of golf and that will always draw attention.  Sure Mayweather draws big crowds and big purses, but would you rather watch a guy rack up 40 wins fighting a bunch of clowns or would you rather watch the heavy weights go after it on the biggest stage?  Not really a wrong answer here but no one gives a fuck if you win the Quicken Loans National Tournament.

7 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Ap showing projected cut at +3.

Can someone repost the rules?

Top 50 and/or everyone within 10 strokes of leader?

Yep, the +7 leader is resulting in App calculating the +3 cut so far.  Might be closer to an Even par cut-line by end of the day.  

Koepka birdies #3 then bogies #4.  Spieth pars #3 and #4

Edited by LTtxfan

20 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Ap showing projected cut at +3.

Can someone repost the rules?

Top 50 and/or everyone within 10 strokes of leader?

2019 Masters Cut Rules

According to National Club Golfer, the Masters cut rules work differently than the PGA Tour, which cuts golfers outside the top-70 in most tournaments.

After the first two rounds, a cut will be made in which the top 50 players and ties on the leaderboard will qualify to play over the weekend.

In addition to this, any players that finish round two within 10 shots of the leader will also be sticking around for the weekend.

If players are inside the top 50 and ties but are more than 10 shots back then they will make the cut.

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Remembering the finish at The 2017 Open still gives me a slight chance of hope for Jordan.... 🤘

Biggest difference there is that Jordan shot 5 under in the opening round.  He had his game.  This ain't the same guy.

I'm fearing this is gonna be like the U.S. Open last year.  Looked dead in the water, then made 4 straight birdies on the back nine to be under the cut line, only to bogey 17 and 18 and miss the cut by 1.

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Biggest difference there is that Jordan shot 5 under in the opening round.  He had his game.  This ain't the same guy.  I'm fearing this is gonna be like the U.S. Open last year.  Looked dead in the water, then made 4 straight birdies on the back nine to be under the cut line, only to bogey 17 and 18 and miss cut by 1.

HaHa.....

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

He just went way left with his tee shot on 8

Then punched it out, across the fairway and it looks like it is right behind a tree, he might have to flip his club over and swing right handed to get back to the fairway

Phil doing Phil things

Edited by Wally Fairway