Texas schedules home-and-homes with Florida (2030-31) and Arizona State (2032-33)

Machinator

16 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I agree with what you are saying though.....you don't recruit a kid from El Paso by telling him that you play UTEP....in Austin.....if he gave a shit about UTEP he would play there what he wants is a chance to play at home against UTEP

same with a kid from Ohio.....hey we have some MACtion going on....in Austin......that gives him no chance to play back at home

I think we can dispense with recruiting the El Paso area.

The hypothetical Ohio kid, if we want him, is not going to be impressed by us playing a game in the state of Ohio unless it's against Ohio State. There is no realistic scenario where we are neck-and-neck with other bluechip programs for a kid and he picks us and says "in the end, it was the fact that Texas plays at Toledo in 2042 that just gave them some slight edge over Alabama and Ohio State". 

How many of you WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP remember the opponent for the 2005 and 2009 season openers? Are you sure you don't have them backwards? And was there anything special about those opponents whatsoever? 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

23 hours ago, Machinator said:

Reviewing this schedule again...... DAMN

Between 2019 and 2033 a great non-conference P5 opponent every year.....

SEC:  LSU , Bama, Ga, Fl        2gms each

Big 10:  Mich, tOSU               2gms each

PAC12:  AzSt                          2gms

SEC:   Arky                              1gm

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Reviewing this schedule again...... DAMN

Between 2019 and 2033 a great non-conference P5 opponent every year.....

SEC:  LSU , Bama, Ga, Fl        2gms each

Big 10:  Mich, tOSU               2gms each

PAC12:  AzSt                          2gms

SEC:   Arky                              1gm

no offense to Upgrayyyed, and I love that we scheduled the ASU game, but that to me isn't on the level of the rest of that list (Arkansas just because of the history, not because I think it's a more prestigious program)

Not saying ASU won't be fun, but those other programs are all heavyweights

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

no offense to Upgrayyyed, and I love that we scheduled the ASU game, but that to me isn't on the level of the rest of that list (Arkansas just because of the history, not because I think it's a more prestigious program)

Not saying ASU won't be fun, but those other programs are all heavyweights

Come on man...  Don't you know Herm Edwards is going to turn ASU into the next powerhouse?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, UTEX_ME said:

Finally a trip to Gainsville. I hope we do a home and home with every SEC team before we entertain the thought of playing aggy. 

Our scheduling strategy is play the best teams out there.  So we play Bama, UGA, LSU and UF from SECSECSEC

tOSU and UM from B1G

Pac sucks and we just finished our USC series.   Expect and incoming Clemson series when we both find time.  

aggy?   Again,  our strategy is to play the best

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:10 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

How many of you WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP remember the opponent for the 2005 and 2009 season openers? Are you sure you don't have them backwards? And was there anything special about those opponents whatsoever? 

2005, I believe it was Louisiana Lafayette. We wore those kick ass throw backs that game! That game sticks out because of the unis. That and we crushed their asses.

2009... another directional Lousyanna school?

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Pac sucks and we just finished our USC series.   Expect and incoming Clemson series when we both find time.  

That may be true but I'd love to get Oregon and Washington on the schedule. Add Stanford for an easy Bay area trip. 

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Our scheduling strategy is play the best teams out there.  So we play Bama, UGA, LSU and UF from SECSECSEC

tOSU and UM from B1G

aggy?   Again,  our strategy is to play the best

We just recently went 0-2 and bbq against powerhouse California. Remember?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I think we can dispense with recruiting the El Paso area.

The hypothetical Ohio kid, if we want him, is not going to be impressed by us playing a game in the state of Ohio unless it's against Ohio State. There is no realistic scenario where we are neck-and-neck with other bluechip programs for a kid and he picks us and says "in the end, it was the fact that Texas plays at Toledo in 2042 that just gave them some slight edge over Alabama and Ohio State". 

I never understood that as a recruiting pitch.  and to open your junior year we'll go back to your home state so your former friends will boo the hell out of you as the traitor who thought yourself above them.

Preface this with I am thrilled at the big name opponents in the OOC and as home and homes. That's how college football should be. Not as thrilled on the 1 heavyweight, 2 group of 5s each year. I like the heavyweight, 1 mid to low tier P5, 1 Group of 5 policy. Granted, we haven't done well against those mid to low tier P5s in the last decade. I'm still confused why we dropped @USF is 2022 given we now have no away game in the OOC that year. Was it you could only do all 3 games with them or just 1. Just weird to take a game in Florida off the table. 

Edited by mdmost

Just now, mdmost said:

Not as thrilled on the 1 heavyweight, 2 group of 5s each year. I like the heavyweight, 1 mid to low tier P5, 1 Group of 5 policy. Granted, we haven't done well against those mid to low tier P5s in the last decade. I'm still confused why we dropped @USF is 2022 given we now have no away game in the OOC that year. Was it you could only do all 3 games with them or just 1. Just weird to take a game in Florida off the table. 

Objective number 1 is to win championships. 1 heavyweight, 2 G5 optimizes that approach. Nobody gives us a cookie for competitive losses to mid-tier P5 teams (not that we should be losing those games much, if ever, but shit happens).

I don't really care whether the "mid" team is a lower-tier P5 team or a group of 5 team.  Even though we had shitty losses to Maryland, they still weren't any more exciting of an opponent to me than UTEP or UTSA.  Nor was Berkeley.  There's nothing exciting about playing either one of these teams, except maybe in basketball.

1 marquee opponent, one regional opponent for recruiting purposes, and then whatever.  I'm cool with that, and that's what we have for the foreseeable future.  

Pumped for Florida. Got family there and that's my 2nd favorite team. Both squads have had the same story the past few years falling from greatness and now rebuilding with a coach that looks like long term solution.

Awesome

Hopefully we face them in the playoffs before then and start a little mini rivalry.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Good thing its a home and home and we aren't playing these games at some fucking pro stadium that sucks any college atmosphere and pageantry out of the game. Looking forward to playing Florida.

Yeah I watched Michigan v Florida in Jerryworld it was a bummer. Fuck that place. Sucks the big12 rematch is there.

rg4zajigindz.png

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Yeah I watched Michigan v Florida in Jerryworld it was a bummer. Fuck that place. Sucks the big12 rematch is there.

rg4zajigindz.png

I can't stand Jerry World. It was not created with the fans in mind to create a great experience. It was created to fit as many people in there and as much entertainment as Jerry could fit. The game on the field is secondary. It is a sterile environment. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I can't stand Jerry World. It was not created with the fans in mind to create a great experience. It was created to fit as many people in there and as much entertainment as Jerry could fit. The game on the field is secondary. It is a sterile environment. 

And charge the average fan $12 for a hot dog and $14 for lukewarm  Miller Lite....   

I can't stand the fact the high school championships have been ceded to Jerryworld  and if you want to see a days worth of games, but want to go off premises between game to grab a bite,  a no reentry policy requires a purchase of another ticket.   The UIL and Jerry are both being greedy and unconcerned here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And charge the average fan $12 for a hot dog and $14 for lukewarm  Miller Lite....   

I can't stand the fact the high school championships have been ceded to Jerryworld  and if you want to see a days worth of games, but want to go off premises between game to grab a bite,  a no reentry policy requires a purchase of another ticket.   The UIL and Jerry are both being greedy and unconcerned here.

I enjoy that all the state championships are in one location. That way it is easy to attend and they can all be televised. But yes, the venue sucks the life out of the game. They tried to have it in Houston one year but the attendance dropped off drastically. And they moved it right back to Jerry World. They originally were going to rotate them around different venues around the state like Jerry World, Houston, San Antonio. But it seems like it will be at Jerry World for the indefinite future.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

didn't they used to play state in Austin? I guess that would make too much sense

Used to be up to the coaches just like a regular playoff game.  Many times one or more of the games ended up in Austin because it was a good central location.  I believe Baylor and even Collie Station saw their share of games for the same reason.  

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The inside sucks, but HOW ABOUT THAT AESTHETIC FROM THE OUTSIDE

Chronicle-Starship-Troopers-Tanker-Bug-S

att-stadium-aerial-night-cowboys-att-sta

39 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

didn't they used to play state in Austin? I guess that would make too much sense

There was never a single site until the last few years at JerryWorld.

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I enjoy that all the state championships are in one location. That way it is easy to attend and they can all be televised. But yes, the venue sucks the life out of the game. They tried to have it in Houston one year but the attendance dropped off drastically. And they moved it right back to Jerry World. They originally were going to rotate them around different venues around the state like Jerry World, Houston, San Antonio. But it seems like it will be at Jerry World for the indefinite future.

The Houston year was a one-off because they didn't protect the dates at JerryWorld and the Cowboys ended up with a Sat game at home that weekend, if memory serves.  And yeah, attendance dropped way off.

JerryWorld is a terrible atmosphere.  The worst part is putting the 6-man games there.  It's beyond stupid and they end up playing state championship games on Wednesday.  So dumb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

There was never a single site until the last few years at JerryWorld.

The Houston year was a one-off because they didn't protect the dates at JerryWorld and the Cowboys ended up with a Sat game at home that weekend, if memory serves.  And yeah, attendance dropped way off.

JerryWorld is a terrible atmosphere.  The worst part is putting the 6-man games there.  It's beyond stupid and they end up playing state championship games on Wednesday.  So dumb.

I think the lower classification games would be better served at much smaller venues. Maybe like the Star in Frisco, which is a very good venue for football. They hold high school regular season and playoff games there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think the lower classification games would be better served at much smaller venues. Maybe like the Star in Frisco, which is a very good venue for football. They hold high school regular season and playoff games there. 

I agree, but it won't happen.  If they moved them, the pressure would be there to put them on Friday/Sat and then they would conflict with the larger class games.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Used to be up to the coaches just like a regular playoff game.  Many times one or more of the games ended up in Austin because it was a good central location.  I believe Baylor and even Collie Station saw their share of games for the same reason.  

Yeah my senior year, my high school played its state championship game at Floyd Casey in Waco. Grapevine vs Hays cons. Nice middle point. 

9 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

The problem with this scheduling philosophy is when our conf home schedule is bad  it ends up looking like this..

2021 Home Schedule

ULL

Rice

Kansas

Kansas St

Ok St

T Tech

I get that, but ultimately a "good" home schedule for an average Texas fan is defined by the presence of a marquee opponent. An Ole Miss, Cal, or Maryland is more interesting than a random Sun Belt team, but it's not going to move significantly more season tickets unless we have a blue blood (or other power program) at home that year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I kind of agree about having them at one location and it makes it easier for Fox Sports to coordinate without a doubt.  However I do think they are doing the lower classes a disservice by having their games as early as Wednesday which not only gives those teams a very short window to prep because of travel, but it's an economic hardship on some of their fan base.  Most of those schools playing in the Wednesday/ Thursday time slots are far removed from many of the metro areas who could host the title games and they are not neccesarly going to show up in $65,000 imported vehicles if you know what I mean.  The UIL needs to find away to accommodate  those classes to make easier for their teams to prep and fan base to make the game.  It's easier to ask a boss or work colleague if you  can take off on a Friday vs the middle of the week.  If it means splitting the championships into two  Friday/ Saturday events,  they need to do it.  

Ideally they should be rotated around the three noted indoor venues.  But from hearing chatter from some very connected people,  Houston really kind of dropped the ball when they hosted the event a few years ago.   It seemed like they were unprepared, sort of like they were asked at the last minute to host when they had over a year to prep.  Ushers were hard to find.  The hospitality stuff for the coaches, VIPs,  etc was missing.   I don't know if that was really a big deal or if it's more along the line that whether you love him or hate him, Jerry does a good job in that area and many of the younger coaches and the such get used to the ass kissing (ie generational thing).   The UIL kind of cites the attendance being down in Houston as an issue, but they forget their was a unusual absence of DFW/ North Texas teams in the bracket which made attendance higher right off the bat at Jerryworld.  

Look at 2015  on the link below and in the higher class bracket meaning  5A up,   the DFW area teams  who played were Frisco Lone Star and Mansfield Lake Ridge  and their fan base is to be expected of newer suburban schools which is almost zero save the parents and students.  But missing are the Aledo's, De Soto's, Allen's,  etc.     I don't doubt the numbers would have been down if some of those teams would have made it, but it kind of skews things favorably for the UIL to use it as an excuse to keep it at Jerryworld.

http://lonestargridiron.com/history-records/past-champions/

I do hear the same group of people who frown on Houston would love to have San Antonio host it because it's San Antonio and it's perfect for this sort of thing.   You have an abundance of hotel rooms close by and it's right at a sweet spot where short notice good deals  can be made because convention traffic is down due to the holidays and it's right before Christmas break and all the New Years and Alamo bowl festivities.   BUT the Alamodome and the City will not accommodate with four full football standard locker rooms.   They are big a preserving meeting space which is  questionable because  right across the interstate is a new multi million dollar expanded convention center with plenty of meeting space which is quick shuttle ride way each direction if both facilities are being used like for a Final Four.    And really that locker room issue is a nuisance  just for the normal playoff games being played there as my son's team had to change in one of those meeting rooms and then have their stuff move over  once the other teams who were still playing vacated.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

The problem with this scheduling philosophy is when our conf home schedule is bad  it ends up looking like this..

2021 Home Schedule

ULL

Rice

Kansas

Kansas St

Ok St

T Tech

But is the road schedule any better?     I mean we play Arkansas in Fayetteville and what are the chances they will still suck then?  I give it a better than 50% probability.  

A part of the problem with our home schedules is that our marquee conference game against our sole remaining rival is played at a neutral site every year, so we lose what would be a huge home game every second year.

However, I would never want that game to leave the Cotton Bowl, even though our home schedule suffers.

24 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

But is the road schedule any better?     I mean we play Arkansas in Fayetteville and what are the chances they will still suck then?  I give it a better than 50% probability.  

Road

Ark

TCU

Baylor

WVU

Iowa St

Then of course always travel for the RRS

In my opinion that road schedule even subtracting the RRS is much more intriguing. Hosting both Kansas Schools is awful. They need to swap one of them with WVU to balance it out. 

51 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

2021 Home Schedule

ULL

Rice

Kansas

Kansas St

Ok St

T Tech

Of course the first year I am buying a tranche of season tickets this is the schedule. Fresh butthole. I assume I won't even be able to give the ULL, Rice, and Kansas tickets away. 

I like our scheduling approach, nonetheless. It's just a weak off year in this instance, I figure. Being in this shithole of a conference doesn't help much, either.

3 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Road

Ark

TCU

Baylor

WVU

Iowa St

Then of course always travel for the RRS

In my opinion that road schedule even subtracting the RRS is much more intriguing. Hosting both Kansas Schools is awful. They need to swap one of them with WVU to balance it out. 

Me thinks WVU might drop off the next few years with Holgorsen leaving.   Neal Brown has a good resume, but is he the right fit (see our experiment with Charlie).   

And will someone like say a USC or another traditional powerhouse pick off Matt Campbell from ISU.   If ISU has a good season this year and takes it to the next level, his name will be at the top of the list of must have coaches.  And who knows how much longer Coach Sweat and Visor will be at TCU and Rhule at Baylor?  

But in the end I get the point about the 2021 schedule kind of being a yawner, but if you flip it with the road,  it might not be any better.  

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I kind of agree about having them at one location and it makes it easier for Fox Sports to coordinate without a doubt.  However I do think they are doing the lower classes a disservice by having their games as early as Wednesday which not only gives those teams a very short window to prep because of travel, but it's an economic hardship on some of their fan base.  Most of those schools playing in the Wednesday/ Thursday time slots are far removed from many of the metro areas who could host the title games and they are not neccesarly going to show up in $65,000 imported vehicles if you know what I mean.  The UIL needs to find away to accommodate  those classes to make easier for their teams to prep and fan base to make the game.  It's easier to ask a boss or work colleague if you  can take off on a Friday vs the middle of the week.  If it means splitting the championships into two  Friday/ Saturday events,  they need to do it.  

Just to be clear, it's only one of the 2A games that gets that quick turnaround to a Wednesday title game.  The 1A/6-man squads have the previous weekend off as their brackets have one less round.

It made so much more sense when, prior to the move to JerryWorld, the six-man games were played the Saturday before all of the other title games and in Abilene, which is pretty central to the 6-man world.

I know not many people care about the 6-man games, but to me it is emblematic of what is wrong with the current setup.

Oh, and f Jerry Jones.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Just to be clear, it's only one of the 2A games that gets that quick turnaround to a Wednesday title game.  The 1A/6-man squads have the previous weekend off as their brackets have one less round.

It made so much more sense when, prior to the move to JerryWorld, the six-man games were played the Saturday before all of the other title games and in Abilene, which is pretty central to the 6-man world.

I know not many people care about the 6-man games, but to me it is emblematic of what is wrong with the current setup.

Oh, and f Jerry Jones.

Indeed.  But even Thursday is a quick turnaround for the 3A's considering most will have one full travel day.    I know most of the coaches and especially those who coach teams who have a better chance of making try to schedule their playoff games on dates which will flow with championship date to account for some extra time to prep, but still it sucks for the fans and students of the schools participating.  Luckily this season some schools were out  for Christmas when the Thursday and Friday games were played because Christmas fell the following Tuesday.   It wasn't the case three years ago when we played up there.  

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

You've spelt "Charlie Strong" incorrectly.

Or perhaps you've spelt "Maryland" wrong... 

Cal, Maryland, K state, ok state, on and on. You could insert a lot of teams there but historically Texas has had a problem getting up to play B teams.