Jump to content
Deej

Hut's finally closing

Recommended Posts

 

On 6/12/2019 at 7:18 AM, Chet Steadman said:

Forgot there was still a Hilberts remaining. Used to go to the one which is now Tiny’s often.  They had one of the best burgers in town but I’d give the edge to TB’s cookies.  That stuff is crack.  

Wasn't the Hilberts building once an old-school Taco Bell?  

Ate at that Taco Bell in my 20's. that Hilbert's in my 30s, and Tiny Boxwoods in my 40's. i have a serious relationship with that building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, kmac30 said:


My kids were born at Seton and Waterloo gave me a beer and a milkshake (for baby mama). This was just 5 years ago for my last.

it's a Doc Motorworks now. I look at it and seeth while i wait literally 15 minutes to get thru 2 lights at that shitty nightmare of an intersection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, Paco said:

If you mean GM Steakhouse there was absolutely nothing questionable about their burgers. It could be nostalgia fucking with me, but I still think that's the best cheeseburger I've ever had in Austin.

 

no cheese would cost ya extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, ftf82 said:

It’s now called the Varsity.  And is basically a Double Dave’s with better beer selection. At least it was last time I went there two or three months back. 

They had a video game called Total Carnage, which provided great entertainment while downing pepperoni rolls and the first generation of craft beers circa 1992.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where to put this, but I went to Dan's on Father's Day with the family (tried to go to Veracruz at Radio but the tacos were an hour + wait. Fuck that.). They've simplified their menu, only offering two burger sizes now instead of three. Looks like they got rid of the "large" option, because the large now is a 1/4lb patty, which I believe used to be their Medium size. I guess I'm in favor of this because the large double was almost too big. My go-to order when super hungry was a double meat medium. Although when just normal hungry, I did enjoy a large cheeseburger. Guess I'll go with the small double now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Not sure where to put this, but I went to Dan's on Father's Day with the family (tried to go to Veracruz at Radio but the tacos were an hour + wait. Fuck that.). They've simplified their menu, only offering two burger sizes now instead of three. Looks like they got rid of the "large" option, because the large now is a 1/4lb patty, which I believe used to be their Medium size. I guess I'm in favor of this because the large double was almost too big. My go-to order when super hungry was a double meat medium. Although when just normal hungry, I did enjoy a large cheeseburger. Guess I'll go with the small double now. 

I was told there would be no math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was told there would be no math.

The problem with the old menu is that there was too much maths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, Paco said:

If you mean GM Steakhouse there was absolutely nothing questionable about their burgers. It could be nostalgia fucking with me, but I still think that's the best cheeseburger I've ever had in Austin.

 

Great place to get a good, greasy burger served with attitude.  First time I went in there before college guy was wearing a Maplewood Mustangs shirt (where I went to elementary school).  No Cheese!  BAM!  On the window.  No pickles?  What the hell is wrong with you!  BAM!  On the window.  Can't have thin skin in that place. 

We'd place bets on which slice of tomato would hit the floor first.  Great place, but not somewhere I'd just drop in to have lunch between meetings.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Not sure where to put this, but I went to Dan's on Father's Day with the family (tried to go to Veracruz at Radio but the tacos were an hour + wait. Fuck that.). They've simplified their menu, only offering two burger sizes now instead of three. Looks like they got rid of the "large" option, because the large now is a 1/4lb patty, which I believe used to be their Medium size. I guess I'm in favor of this because the large double was almost too big. My go-to order when super hungry was a double meat medium. Although when just normal hungry, I did enjoy a large cheeseburger. Guess I'll go with the small double now. 

I love Dans. Inject those curly fries straight into my veins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Great place to get a good, greasy burger served with attitude.  First time I went in there before college guy was wearing a Maplewood Mustangs shirt (where I went to elementary school).  No Cheese!  BAM!  On the window.  No pickles?  What the hell is wrong with you!  BAM!  On the window.  Can't have thin skin in that place. 

We'd place bets on which slice of tomato would hit the floor first.  Great place, but not somewhere I'd just drop in to have lunch between meetings.  

I seem to recall their cheese was shredded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Deej said:

Nothing really against P. Terry's, I eat there occasionally, but don't get the excessive love they get. Burgers are ok, but on the small side, and the worst fries out of almost anyone. As soon as they get the least bit cold, they are a congealed mess. It's like someone took a can of those shoestring potatoes and soaked them in old cooking oil. 

Why do you let them get cold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Never been a fan of P. Terry's either.  Ok burger (and relatively cheap for what you get) but nothing there that's a "wow."
2) All fast food fries start tasting like shit 5 minutes after purchase.  Most of the time by the time you get home with them, unless they just popped out of the fryer, they've become shitty.  Lesson:  eat in as much as possible, fast food (or most just-cooked food for that matter) ain't good after 7-8 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

1) Never been a fan of P. Terry's either.  Ok burger (and relatively cheap for what you get) but nothing there that's a "wow."
2) All fast food fries start tasting like shit 5 minutes after purchase.  Most of the time by the time you get home with them, unless they just popped out of the fryer, they've become shitty.  Lesson:  eat in as much as possible, fast food (or most just-cooked food for that matter) ain't good after 7-8 minutes.

An outlier -- Bill Millers.  Thicker fries, cooked in beef fat like the Lord God Jehovah intended.  They stay hot for a decent while, and sweet lord are they good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

1) Never been a fan of P. Terry's either.  Ok burger (and relatively cheap for what you get) but nothing there that's a "wow."
2) All fast food fries start tasting like shit 5 minutes after purchase.  Most of the time by the time you get home with them, unless they just popped out of the fryer, they've become shitty.  Lesson:  eat in as much as possible, fast food (or most just-cooked food for that matter) ain't good after 7-8 minutes.

Exactly this! You eat in or immediately in the car. All fast food is terrible after a few minutes steaming itself in a paper bag. P Terry's fries are actually some of the better fast food fries out there (I love shoestring and Belgium style fries). 

Also, Sandy's only had a couple of good things to order: corn dogs and fried chicken sandwiches. They don't even sell fried chicken sandwiches anymore. They could close tomorrow and I wouldn't care at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tried to hit Hut's today.  Has a paper posted on the door that said they were closed today, need to take a day to restock and regroup, thanks for the outpouring of support.
So, we went and got Whataburger instead, on our "memorial tour of screwed Texas burger places."

You should go to Hil-berts so they don’t wind up on that route

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
An outlier -- Bill Millers.  Thicker fries, cooked in beef fat like the Lord God Jehovah intended.  They stay hot for a decent while, and sweet lord are they good.

Bill Millers is an extreme example of the inverse deliciousness relationship between brisket and other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

An outlier -- Bill Millers.  Thicker fries, cooked in beef fat like the Lord God Jehovah intended.  They stay hot for a decent while, and sweet lord are they good.

Still the best fried chicken stop in town, by a few galaxies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Still the best fried chicken stop in town, by a few galaxies.  

I don't know if it's the BEST....but I ain't gonna throw rocks at you if you feel that way.  It's damned good for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:


Bill Millers is an extreme example of the inverse deliciousness relationship between brisket and other stuff.

Great iced tea and sausage / potato tacos

 

also, a 1/4 pound party is not a large burger 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 4:42 AM, HenryJames said:

Lobo=TheCruiser

We never did congratulate you on the most obvious detective work in history.  I had to dump my old account on the old site and then reboot here because we were working on a nuclear laboratory contract.  But I understand that you finally got an erection and your children telephoned you again so you obviously won the day.  We walk in your fucking shadow.  Honestly though, I will miss you when I leave.  Your biggest victories remind me of those shits you take that only require 1-2 wipes.  Now I know why your dad was so eager to die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 3:08 PM, TexasBeta said:


Bananas for the Pot before hitting 6th or Uncle Sou Sous for 2 for 1 mason jars of Vodka tonics.

And head to Enzo’s for a Triple Long Island Tea, the around the corner to Hyde’s for a Massacre (also in a Mason Jar)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, Lobo said:

Your biggest victories remind me of those shits you take that only require 1-2 wipes. 

boy, those are nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...