Jump to content
texasdago

Ski Season 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

Thinking of taking fam to breck over spring break. Kids have never skied before, 7,6,6. And I really want to drive. Is this all a mistake?

Prepare for large crowds. Last week Breck had the longest lift lines I’ve experienced in over 45+ years of skiing. 30-40 minute waits at some lifts. The national economy is not hurting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wouldn't do it if they paid me whatever they're charging for a lift ticket these days. insanity.

That's why you don't ski at peak times.  We leave the mountains on Christmas Day and don't come back until after New Year's.  Same goes for Spring Break and Presidents/MLK weekends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HouTex said:


Prepare for large crowds. Last week Breck had the longest lift lines I’ve experienced in over 45+ years of skiing. 30-40 minute waits at some lifts. The national economy is not hurting.

Christmas to New Year's is the busiest time of year at the CO resorts.  Plan accordingly for crowds.  Just before Christmas is much slower if you can do that instead.  I skied the 3 days before Christmas (Dec 22-24) and had zero lines at WP.  Skied on Jan 2 (because of powder) and it was a zoo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That's why you don't ski at peak times.  We leave the mountains on Christmas Day and don't come back until after New Year's.  Same goes for Spring Break and Presidents/MLK weekends.

90% of the people at breck or similar places would have just as much fun at a place like big sky, not wait in lines, and pay much less for lift tickets and rooms. 
All it would cost them is some social media cache. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

90% of the people at breck or similar places would have just as much fun at a place like big sky, not wait in lines, and pay much less for lift tickets and rooms. 
All it would cost them is some social media cache. 

I wouldn't go that far.  There is a lot to do off the slopes in Breck, and there are good restaurants.  It's not my cup of tea, but I can see why people like it there.  And you guys don't have legal weed, which isn't an issue for me, but is for many who travel to CO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d go nuts. I’ve never had to wait more than a minute for a lift. 

Donde?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Donde?

They aren’t resorts, and they are very small.   Trade offs. Might try red lodge and Bridger bowl this season for a change of scenery. 
 

long lift lines means crowded mountain too i assume. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Whistler recommendations. I'll ski with the kids 9 and 12, and my wife won't ski.

Places/location to stay, much prefer a very short walk or ski-in/ski-out.

Place to rent skis?

Places to eat?

Might spend a couple days in Vancouver, so any suggestions there are welcome.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 9:02 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 1/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
Only if you don’t put them in lessons

Este. Put them in lessons and they'll have a great time.

Suck it up and pay for the private lessons.  They can do it as a group of 3.  They'll get much more out of it than sticking them with 10 other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Any Whistler recommendations. I'll ski with the kids 9 and 12, and my wife won't ski.

Places/location to stay, much prefer a very short walk or ski-in/ski-out.

Place to rent skis?

Places to eat?

Might spend a couple days in Vancouver, so any suggestions there are welcome.

Thanks

just got back from Whistler.  crowded, but had a great time.  still need some snow, last I checked.

my wife made all the res's (that's her thing, I just get veto power).  she got some deal online through skirentals.com or somesuch that sent us to the Salomon shop for our rentals. very good service there, although if I had to do it again, I'd ask for a stiffer snowboard boot which I'm used to, over the flexy thing they gave me by default.  

eats:

The Keg was pretty good.

Earl's was waaaay overrated.  unless you like trendy shit served by Eurotrash-wannabes at all costs.

Gnarly Root was very good.

the indian place upstairs right by the Whistler Gondola was very good.  Masala something or other.  we got takeout.

Blacks Pub was meh.

did not eat on the mountain.  just energy bars.  big food just makes me too lethargic for snowboarding.  the food looked pretty good, though.  much much better than the burgers and dogs up top at Ski Apache or Red River.

we spent one night at the Westin downtown Vancouver on the back end (wife had points).  it's a block off the Whistler Connect shuttle route, so we had them drop us at the nearest stop on the way back.  very good location.  lots of shopping and ethnic food options nearby that looked good, but we ended up at Dunn's deli.  had smoked meat poutine.  it was ok.  they don't smoke meat like we do, I guess.   I think they used pine or someshit.  Lennox Pub was a good place to chill while the kids dove into their ipads back at the room.

canNOT recommend the Vancouver Art museum.  but my daughter's into art so we had to find out.  biggest one in western Canada, fwiw.  Bentonville fucking Arkansas's art museum blows it away, easily.

have fun, you hoser.

 

Edited by wd40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wouldn't do it if they paid me whatever they're charging for a lift ticket these days. insanity.

Mammoth is like $185/day now.  Crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Mammoth is like $185/day now.  Crazy.

Went to a buddy’a bachelor party in vail last year. Got in line for a single, lady at the counter tells a group in front of us it’s $212 for the day. Just laughed and told my buddies I’d be drunk in the hot tub when they got done and walked off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out to the hill today ($360 I think for the whole season but then again it’s no vail or mammoth) and had a Wyoming traffic jam coming home. 
 

 

1F6EDC32-5FC6-4391-9B27-210E6EF0C5A1.jpeg

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Suck it up and pay for the private lessons.  They can do it as a group of 3.  They'll get much more out of it than sticking them with 10 other people.

We did that with the kids this Xmas and they finished day two owning the greens at Breckenridge. No ski experience to begging to go back. Private for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wouldn't go that far.  There is a lot to do off the slopes in Breck, and there are good restaurants.  It's not my cup of tea, but I can see why people like it there.  And you guys don't have legal weed, which isn't an issue for me, but is for many who travel to CO.

We took my mom too and chose breck so we had things to do. We went to the theatre, church for Xmas eve, the movies, silly shopping, the lights were great. My gf and I found a crazy awesome brewery and ice skating and I’m sure there was much more we didn’t find. I have no idea if it’s the cool place to go, I just looked for the best mountain ski towns for Xmas and it seemed legit and easy enough to make the trek in a suburban hauling Christmas presents and all of that up there. The week before and through 12/25 was really great and not that bad. We packed 12/26 and drove home 12/27. Heard 12/26-1/1 is horribly crowded from the hospitality folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have young kids, I highly recommend you skip skiing during holiday season and instead go between mid January and early March. Missing 4-5 days of school before 5th grade is no big deal, and you get uncrowded slopes and no lift lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

If you have young kids, I highly recommend you skip skiing during holiday season and instead go between mid January and early March. Missing 4-5 days of school before 5th grade is no big deal, and you get uncrowded slopes and no lift lines.

Agree 100%.  We did this with our two kids two years ago and it was awesome.  Split a great house with friends and avoided the long lines.  We were at Breck, so it was still somewhat crowded, but way less than our previous trip there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys that can get away, grab a ticket to SLC. Major storm cycle right now. 25" in 24 hrs at Alta, and most of the good stuff is closed. Next few days should be crazy good. 57788c2b8db31789daedf4c3a0cccb1e.jpgb415b873ad359280154a0ff881908cec.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you have young kids, I highly recommend you skip skiing during holiday season and instead go between mid January and early March. Missing 4-5 days of school before 5th grade is no big deal, and you get uncrowded slopes and no lift lines.

As soon as they are in school that’s almost impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

You guys that can get away, grab a ticket to SLC. Major storm cycle right now. 25" in 24 hrs at Alta, and most of the good stuff is closed. Next few days should be crazy good. 57788c2b8db31789daedf4c3a0cccb1e.jpgb415b873ad359280154a0ff881908cec.jpg

Yea I got here Thursday night and have had powder days every day since. Gonna have five powder days at five diff resorts here by the time I fly home Tuesday night. It’s damn good here right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Went to a buddy’a bachelor party in vail last year. Got in line for a single, lady at the counter tells a group in front of us it’s $212 for the day. Just laughed and told my buddies I’d be drunk in the hot tub when they got done and walked off.

Meanwhile in 2017 the walk-up price for lift tickets here was 53 Euro with a 6000 ft vertical

xlarge.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:46 PM, HouTex said:


Prepare for large crowds. Last week Breck had the longest lift lines I’ve experienced in over 45+ years of skiing. 30-40 minute waits at some lifts. The national economy is not hurting.

Is spring break really that bad at breck?  We have gone to keystone over spring break the last 3 years and it's never that bad.  If you can get up the mountain first thing there is usually never a long a line anywhere and even the base gondola goes pretty fast.  But I have not been to Breck in like 30 years, so can't compare the 2.

We are headed back to Keystone again this spring break and I am dying to try out a new board. I think I found the widest mf'er out there for my size 15 boots.  Libtech Skunk Ape 170UW.  Plus some new bindings and hopefully it will be night and day better than the rentals I am used to.

Kids (9 and 11)  are now at the point where they don't really need lessons anymore, but we normally put them in at least 1 day.  daughter wants to switch and learn snow boarding, so we'll see how that goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit up Copper and Cooper this week, my two favorite places in Colorado. Copper wasn’t too bad during the week but it was packed Saturday. Cooper opened up TN Basin this year and for those that ski a lot of double blacks, it is well worth the visit. We paid $49 for a half day lift ticket ($62 for whole day) and never stopped. I can’t say enough good things about Cooper. You can’t beat the price, they don’t over groom, they have a much more open setup to ski the woods, etc. They also have one of the best beginner areas of the mountains I’ve been to and you can pay $25 just to do it. 

Drove down to Winter Park Sunday to snowmobile. It was a serious mistake to leave there at 5 pm but it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 6:20 PM, wd40 said:

just got back from Whistler.  crowded, but had a great time.  still need some snow, last I checked.

my wife made all the res's (that's her thing, I just get veto power).  she got some deal online through skirentals.com or somesuch that sent us to the Salomon shop for our rentals. very good service there, although if I had to do it again, I'd ask for a stiffer snowboard boot which I'm used to, over the flexy thing they gave me by default.  

eats:

The Keg was pretty good.

Earl's was waaaay overrated.  unless you like trendy shit served by Eurotrash-wannabes at all costs.

Gnarly Root was very good.

the indian place upstairs right by the Whistler Gondola was very good.  Masala something or other.  we got takeout.

Blacks Pub was meh.

did not eat on the mountain.  just energy bars.  big food just makes me too lethargic for snowboarding.  the food looked pretty good, though.  much much better than the burgers and dogs up top at Ski Apache or Red River.

we spent one night at the Westin downtown Vancouver on the back end (wife had points).  it's a block off the Whistler Connect shuttle route, so we had them drop us at the nearest stop on the way back.  very good location.  lots of shopping and ethnic food options nearby that looked good, but we ended up at Dunn's deli.  had smoked meat poutine.  it was ok.  they don't smoke meat like we do, I guess.   I think they used pine or someshit.  Lennox Pub was a good place to chill while the kids dove into their ipads back at the room.

canNOT recommend the Vancouver Art museum.  but my daughter's into art so we had to find out.  biggest one in western Canada, fwiw.  Bentonville fucking Arkansas's art museum blows it away, easily.

have fun, you hoser.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone ever been to sipapu in New Mexico?  It looks small, but shit I haven't skiied in ten years so I don't even know if I like it anymore.  Id probably just go for one day.  Or should I redirect all new Mexico questions to the 2020 coaching thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We looked at some reviews on it & they were pretty bad. Going with Angel Fire or Red River, see next post..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any thought to share on Angel Fire or Red River? Any suggestions on where to stay? Anyone ever stayed at the Angel Fire Resort? Taking 6 yrs old for their 1st time skiing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...