smokebomb

Fire Shaka Smart

Eh. He's got a point, though. Seems doubtful that Shaka gets the ax now.

Not what I want--not what anyone wants, is it?--but it seems more and more like an inevitability.

Oh, he definitely won’t get the ax now.  He probably won’t get it next year, either, because our roster is going to be good enough where not at least making the tournament will be pretty hard for even him to accomplish.  He’s not a good coach, but he’s proving to be a savant at self preservation - the proverbial cockroach that survives the nuclear apocalypse.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Wescott and Shaka must be BFFs or some shit because he's constantly slobbing all over Shaka's knob, legitimately the last person defending Shaka that isn't a troll. The run near the end of the season was impressive, but the season as a whole was squandered. It ended with a colossal dud as the 2nd worst team in the conference quickly jumped out to a massive lead and never looked back, in Austin no less.

The only reason Texas would've reached the NCAA tourney is because the vast majority of the bubble teams shit themselves down the stretch. Tech would've likely emerged victorious in the Big 12 tourney, if somehow Shaka managed to beat Tech again the KU game that followed would've amounted to a death sentence. A one and done in the NCAA tourney would've been the most realistic outcome, if anything Shaka has demonstrated an ineptitude to accomplish much of anything during March madness throughout his tenure at Texas.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, satyanash said:

Did he get a chance to achieve his regular season goals?

Edited by ShowMeALoss

19 hours ago, Chad said:

Wescott and Shaka must be BFFs or some shit because he's constantly slobbing all over Shaka's knob, legitimately the last person defending Shaka that isn't a troll. 

How sure are you that Wescunt is not a troll?

Stock market is really interesting today.  Expectation was the market would tank, because of unemployment numbers.  Market is about ready to close and the market is up over 1200 points!   I can see the question about shaka can become an economic measure.  I am looking for the Dow to cross 25000.  When that happens, the boosters should feel better about writing some checks.  

The market is going to rebound much faster than a lot of people expect, I think. 

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Stock market is really interesting today.  Expectation was the market would tank, because of unemployment numbers.  Market is about ready to close and the market is up over 1200 points!   I can see the question about shaka can become an economic measure.  I am looking for the Dow to cross 25000.  When that happens, the boosters should feel better about writing some checks.  

The market is going to rebound much faster than a lot of people expect, I think. 

Market tends to overshoot on each direction during crisis and recovery. I think this 3-day rally is too much too soon. There is a serious health crisis that's lingering and is about get much worse before getting better. I doubt dark days are over.

Posted (edited)

BIG loss of Revenue...

First Coronavirus Financial Ripple Effects Felt in NCAA With Revenue Distribution Slashed 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/26/ncaa-revenue-losses-march-madness-schools 

"The NCAA Board of Governors voted to allot $225 million to member schools, a 62.5% decrease from the expected $600 million. The shortfall is attributable to the cancellation of the NCAA’s biggest money maker, the men’s basketball tournament, plus all other canceled championships in winter and spring sports."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said on a teleconference Thursday that the NCAA revenue distribution will be a decrease of about $14 million from what his league had expected.

Edited by LTtxfan

Just watched the last few seconds of Texas beating Bielen’s West Virginia on a Paolino (sp?) buzzer beating shot from 2006’s Sweet 16i on CBS Sports. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Just watched the last few seconds of Texas beating Bielen’s West Virginia on a Paolino (sp?) buzzer beating shot from 2006’s Sweet 16i on CBS Sports. 

Here Yah go, Enjoy!!

Edited by LTtxfan

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Here Yah go, Enjoy!!

Going to a Sweet 16, much less the Great Eight seems like half a lifetime ago, maybe longer. 

I’m shocked. Im pissed 

oh wait I’m not. This was expected. 

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Looking for a silver lining, but does that get us Greg Brown? 

Very likely. 

This team should be so fun to watch next year with the pieces we have. It's time to get back to what got this clown hired here, or at least something much closer to that than anything we've been running since he got here. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

They used to call it the Great 8 and then changed it to Elite 8 at some point. 

I may have just aged myself.

(Though I didn't follow it as much from 2007-2014+, because I was not in the country... so I have more years with the former... I still just aged myself.)

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

😥

FUCK!

NOW I'm depressed.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

😥

Good timing on CDC's part, announcing this just as all the stores are out of bleach.

CDC is a charlatan and is part of the problem.  Sigh. 

Good thing our idiotic administration gave him an $18+ million guaranteed contract for another 7 years.  

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

CDC is a charlatan and is part of the problem.  Sigh. 

Good thing our idiotic administration gave him an $18+ million guaranteed contract for another 7 years.  

I don’t know what to think about CDC.  He gets a pass because those before him were so bad. Perrin was in over his head, and Patterson was a complete fail.  CDC is definitely more outgoing and fan friendly than Dodds, though Dodds clearly built a financial empire.

I think passing on Oliver Luck was a huge miss.

I have a very strong feeling CDC would have kept Shaka even without Corona.  That's why he sucks IMO.

His job is to be a nice guy to the fans, not the coaches.   

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I don’t know what to think about CDC.  He gets a pass because those before him were so bad. Perrin was in over his head, and Patterson was a complete fail.  CDC is definitely more outgoing and fan friendly than Dodds, though Dodds clearly built a financial empire.

I think passing on Oliver Luck was a huge miss.

Yeah, but we hated Dodds up until the late 1990s, too.

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, but we hated Dodds up until the late 1990s, too.

Oh, we hated Dodds throughout (for me, from the mid-80s).  I grudgingly acknowledge he made money, but at what cost?

“Shaka’s our coach,” Del Conte told the American-Statesman on Friday. “Nothing’s changed. We won five of the last six down the stretch, finished third in the conference. We have a good team coming back. Nothing’s changed on my end.”

Fuck you Del Conte.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, Wally Pryor said:

Framework is coming from CDC: "I love how we finished so strongly at the end of the regular season and have no doubt that would have carried over into the Big 12 Tourney and then with an invitation to the NCAA Tournament."

Christmas card to COVID-19 from Smart.

Indeed.

.....CDC proves that 9 and 9 is our standard, and now Herman is up.  Herman is probably feeling pretty good right now.  He can go 8 and 5 and keep his job.  

We suck, we don't care about winning, we're Texas.  

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I have a very strong feeling CDC would have kept Shaka even without Corona.  That's why he sucks IMO.

His job is to be a nice guy to the fans, not the coaches.   

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

.....CDC proves that 9 and 9 is our standard, and now Herman is up.  Herman is probably feeling pretty good right now.  He can go 8 and 5 and keep his job.  

Correct and correct. Del Conte was hired in December of 2017, which means he's sat through three seasons of Shaka Smrt Texas Basketball. He's already had ample opportunity to draw the correct and obvious conclusion that our basketball program under Smart will win a little over 50% of its games and finish in the middle of the pack in the conference yearly. The idea that you sit on a .500 coach indefinitely waiting for him to breakthrough (which he will, for one year, next year, if Greg Brown signs here)--- that can only happen at fat, happy rich programs like Texas. 

Del Conte's job is to maximize revenue and keep the overall reputation of Texas athletics positive. If you mistakenly think he needs to win big to do that, you should find another program to follow. It is enough for us to aspire to the Stanford model. We don't have to win like Stanford does, that's not the point. 

Shaka Smrt will be on the Texas bench for our first game in the new arena after we win 25 games and finish second in the Big 12 and win one game in the NCAA Tournament next season. He'll be on the Texas bench for the following season opener, too, even after we go 19-16 and lose in the first round of the NIT. He's going to be the coach here for three more years, because we settle for almost nothing as long as it's punctuated by occasional Sugar Bowl wins and 2nd round NCAA appearances. 

Our athletics department is a feel-good fraud. 

For all you guys bitching about CDC bringing Shaka back just remember 70% of you will be dead by the 20/21 season opener anyhow.  Math majors over on the COVID thread should have told you.

47 minutes ago, gecko said:

For all you guys bitching about CDC bringing Shaka back just remember 70% of you will be dead by the 20/21 season opener anyhow.  Math majors over on the COVID thread should have told you.

We can only hope

1 hour ago, gecko said:

giphy.gif 

One of my favorite parts of of no NCAA Tourney in 2020 is that Bailor Basketball had good Men's and Women's teams that didn't get to play... Karma is a bitch sometimes!!  

22 hours ago, satyanash said:

😥

This dude was 100% saved by the Coronavirus, lets be real, ponying up for a huge buyout and trying to get a new coach in an uncertain time like this would not have been easy. Especially when you consider all of the lost revenue and possible lost revenue if we cant get a real season off the ground next year for football, and then couple that with the cost of the new basketball stadium. Shaka was never getting fired in any sort of tumultuous economic times. 

14 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

No BMD will/would pony up $10 million to get rid of Shaka. There’d be a line out the door to pay Tom’s buyout if he goes 8-5.