Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

This year will be meh, maybe 17 wins, but with Baker and Jones coming in, plus experienced Ramey, Hayes, and Hepa coming back next year we will be improved and there will not be an opening to fire him.  Those hoping he will be gone after next year are going to be disappointed.  It will be real interesting however to see what if anything CDC does with his contract at that time.   

It's been said several times by people somewhat connected to the program that Shaka will get at least 5 years here unless we pull a 2016-17 (and even then, that might not be enough).
So unless we have a couple big donors on here, talking about replacement candidates is useless right now.

From what I’ve heard CDC is not a fan of Shaka’s coaching but recognizes he connects well with the players and recruits well. He wants to make the change after this year if they don’t do well, but probably won’t because of the above.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

This year will be meh, maybe 17 wins, but with Baker and Jones coming in, plus experienced Ramey, Hayes, and Hepa coming back next year we will be improved and there will not be an opening to fire him.  Those hoping he will be gone after next year are going to be disappointed.  It will be real interesting however to see what if anything CDC does with his contract at that time.   

Doesn't matter how talented the team is, Shaka will not get results. That much is clear. I also doubt Hayes returns.

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Doesn't matter how talented the team is, Shaka will not get results. That much is clear. I also doubt Hayes returns.

What you are thinking of as results and what will keep him from getting fired in the next two years may not be the same thing.

I disagree on Hayes.  I think he will realize he needs to develop his offensive skills and stay.  He doesn’t have a dominant defensive presence (yet) that will make him a high draft pick in spite of meh shooting like Bamba.  I know nobody is comparing him to Bamba and the draft is about potential, but it looks to me like all Hayes has right now is exceptional measurables and good hands.  He needs to show more.  Stay and develop your offensive game and be a lottery pick.  

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What you are thinking of as results and what will keep him from getting fired in the next two years may not be the same thing.

I disagree on Hayes.  I think he will realize he needs to develop his offensive skills and stay.  He doesn’t have a dominant defensive presence (yet) that will make him a high draft pick in spite of meh shooting like Bamba.  I know nobody is comparing him to Bamba and the draft is about potential, but it looks to me like all Hayes has right now is exceptional measurables and good hands.  He needs to show more.  Stay and develop your offensive game and be a lottery pick.  

Who is going to develop him at Texas, as opposed to getting developed in the NBA and earning millions? Most are calling for the benching of Sims for Hayes. Sims is almost the exact same player as Hayes. So if Sims hasn't developed much, Hayes probably isn't either.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Who is going to develop him at Texas, as opposed to getting developed in the NBA and earning millions? Most are calling for the benching of Sims for Hayes. Sims is almost the exact same player as Hayes. So if Sims hasn't developed much, Hayes probably isn't either.

If they are almost the exact same player then why did Sims stay?   Answer:  he was not draftable.  

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

From what I’ve heard CDC is not a fan of Shaka’s coaching but recognizes he connects well with the players and recruits well. He wants to make the change after this year if they don’t do well, but probably won’t because of the above.

i talked to some people i know and they've said similar hints as your posts. they also said that they think that Texas missing the tourney this year would be enough for CDC to replace Shaka. No guarantee he'd be fired, but that would be enough to make it a possibility. They also said that if the new arena can be opened in ~2 years that it would be a major selling point for a new coach, similar to hiring Ane Lemons the year before the FEC opened. 

my own personal opinion, and the main reason i've zeroed in on Musselman is that I don't see hardly any viable replacements who would leave their current gig to come to Texas. There are very very few qualified college coaches who would leave their current job for Texas, and in the NBA it's really only Donovan and Hoiberg who are candidates. That's probably the very best thing Shaka has going for him. A total lack of proven candidates who we can lure away from their job. If this season goes the way I think it's going to go, I sure hope that we pull the trigger on musselman, because I don't see a better opportunity to get a legitimate upgrade to come to austin. as i've said, Nevada loses their entire team after this year. it's the most logical scenario i can see at this point.

• Like 1

This feels so much like Strong. Players and parents love him. Recruiting is good (although we are now finding that the ranked recruits Strong brought in aren’t living up to their rankings in some cases).

Kansas is what torpedoed Strong for another year. If Shaka has a shockingly bad season, they will make a change. No one game would do it, obviously.

Just like with Strong, I’m rooting for Shaka to figure it out. I like how Shaka and Strong represented the University.

i talked to some people i know and they've said similar hints as your posts. they also said that they think that Texas missing the tourney this year would be enough for CDC to replace Shaka. No guarantee he'd be fired, but that would be enough to make it a possibility. They also said that if the new arena can be opened in ~2 years that it would be a major selling point for a new coach, similar to hiring Ane Lemons the year before the FEC opened. 
my own personal opinion, and the main reason i've zeroed in on Musselman is that I don't see hardly any viable replacements who would leave their current gig to come to Texas. There are very very few qualified college coaches who would leave their current job for Texas, and in the NBA it's really only Donovan and Hoiberg who are candidates. That's probably the very best thing Shaka has going for him. A total lack of proven candidates who we can lure away from their job. If this season goes the way I think it's going to go, I sure hope that we pull the trigger on musselman, because I don't see a better opportunity to get a legitimate upgrade to come to austin. as i've said, Nevada loses their entire team after this year. it's the most logical scenario i can see at this point.

You’re right about the availability of a top coach also being a big consideration. With the football team, they had Herman just sitting there ready to move and they knew they could get him.

CDC will definitely have one or more guys lined up when he moves. I’ve tried to get some names but that info is locked up tight. I don’t think they would do a generic search. Too much of a risk of striking out.

23 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Musselman would be the choice of a middling program content with treading water.  Your list of possible replacements reads like a clueless message board fanboi's spank bank.

i would *love* to hear you expound on this. what, specifically is your problem with musselman? who is on your list of available and viable candidates? you know jack shit about basketball, you only come here to talk shit- for once, ever, post an original, substantive thought. tell me your own thoughts on this matter since you want to talk so much hot shit. musselman coaches circles around shaka smart, and he's the best available ncaa coach who might leave his current gig.

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Musselman would be a good choice to me, very good coach and you know the team would be trained and developed well over time.  Very safe choice in terms of not risking wasting a roster with good talent on poor schematics.  Another coach in the MW that is probably not ready yet for this kind of job but I like potentially maybe down the road for the right program is Paul Weir at New Mexico although still very unproven to me.  Donovan would be great too.  I can't think of any great college coaches that would realistically leave as a head of a program to come to Texas so you likely are looking at unproven but maybe very talented assistants and very few HC choices overall that are likely outside the power conferences.  

13 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Musselman would be the choice of a middling program content with treading water.  Your list of possible replacements reads like a clueless message board fanboi's spank bank.

Musselman has never been past the sweet 16. Granted, he hasn't been a college coach for long but that's why he's a questionable hire at best. It's just a guessing game on how he would do at Texas. 

Buzz Wiliams hasn't been past the round of 64 in 5 years. 1/11 years as a coach he's made it past the Sweet 16. 

Paul Weir has made the tournament 1/3 years. Never advanced past the first round. 

This is why "fire X coach" is always a hilarious discussion. The coaching market is shit and if these are the best options you're firing Shaka for a total guess. 

The idea is to "win big" so let's hire from a pool of candidates that has a grand total of 1 win past the round of 32. Hoiberg and Donovan are just message board dreams until they are actually fired in the NBA. Not to mention Donovan isn't coming here even if he is fired. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Musselman has never been past the sweet 16. Granted, he hasn't been a college coach for long but that's why he's a questionable hire at best. It's just a guessing game on how he would do at Texas. 

Buzz Wiliams hasn't been past the round of 64 in 5 years. 1/11 years as a coach he's made it past the Sweet 16. 

Paul Weir has made the tournament 1/3 years. Never advanced past the first round. 

This is why "fire X coach" is always a hilarious discussion. The coaching market is shit and if these are the best options you're firing Shaka for a total guess. 

The idea is to "win big" so let's hire from a pool of candidates that has a grand total of 1 win past the round of 32. Hoiberg and Donovan are just message board dreams until they are actually fired in the NBA. Not to mention Donovan isn't coming here even if he is fired. 

So Shaka it is!

On 11/10/2018 at 10:55 AM, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah but this is same song, new verse. Every year. Fill in the blanks. "Yeah, but we got _____, _____, and _____ coming in and _____ and _____ coming back. We'll be experienced and improved... " 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Rick Barnes has been to the S16 once before he got to Texas, and in no time he had us as a national power. He won the conference his first year, then won 24 and 25 games, then went to the S16 five times in six years (only reason it wasn't 6/6 was because we lost LA and PJ halfway through the 2005 season). Barnes was a defensive coach and a great recruiter, which is just what we needed after Tom Penders. Musselman is a great talent developer and one of the best offensive coaches in the country, which is exactly what Texas needs after Shaka Smart. If your only argument is that there aren't any sure fire home run candidates available then we should A)just give Shaka a lifetime contract until the next HOF coach somehow becomes available, or B)fire CDC for not being able to do his job. 

Shaka has not come close to cutting it at Texas, and the fact that (to our fans at least) there isn't a clear cut, slam dunk coach who will definitely leave his school for Texas is *not* a reason to retain a coach who has been *way* worse than Tom fucking Penders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

it sure would be nice if we could let the season play out a little bit before spending it trying to fire the coach.

yeah, because the first 3+ years of terrible in-game coaching, lack of player development, and the worst half court offense in college hoops haven't been enough already. i mean i agree that it would be nice, but we would first need a somehwat competent HC for that to happen.

Edited by Goo Punch

also, if you're going to shit on eric musselman as a coach, as so many here have been wont to do ever since i started pimping him, then how about a more nuanced critique of him than "well he hasn't been to the sweet 16 enough". the next substantive criticism of musselman that gets posted here will be the first. 

The only/final post necessary for this thread:

Shaka should be fired for virtually everything that has done or hasn't done. He's brought nothing to the program except recruits that have been underdeveloped. We might have the least conceived offense in the country due to our 'lets have someone dribble around until maybe something happens' philosophy (if you could consider it as much). Texas will be a failure to unwarranted expectations until Shaka is gone. It almost wouldn't matter who replaced him at this point. He's already prove himself incapable of coaching in a high expectation environment. He inherited the VCU team that was successful that graced him with national esteem. He's proven nothing but disappointment since. Cut our losses and move on should be the decision for Texas basketball if a contending future is something we are after.

• Like 1

I laughed 

that's the type of substantive reply we've all come to expect from you. dynamite stuff. I guess being a top 10 national program for an entire decade including two NPOY winners, consistently being ranked in the top 10 for a the majority of a decade and going the S16 5/6 years doesn't constitute a "national power" in your mind....and yet you slurp and defend shaka endlessly. that's rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for your own edification, here's a post from the old Fire Shaka thread on shaggy, made by chi town bevo:

2a3c4ab02111e9b034e7dd9d3f086cd5.jpg

Musselman is a good coach with a long track record of developing players and running a fun, fast, high scoring, uptempo offense. it because most of you don't know dick about him that means he sucks. he'd be a huge upgrade over Shaka, and Texas would be fun to watch again. But hey, who wants that when we can keep changing players but getting the same asstastic product every year?

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that's the type of substantive reply we've all come to expect from you. dynamite stuff. I guess being a top 10 national program for an entire decade including two NPOY winners, consistently being ranked in the top 10 for a the majority of a decade and going the S16 5/6 years doesn't constitute a "national power" in your mind....and yet you slurp and defend shaka endlessly. that's rich.

1) I've never said we were a "national power" under Shaka. 

2) We advanced past the Sweet 16 three times in 17 years under Barnes. Lol at national power. Kentucky, Duke, Kansas are national powers. 

3) Rick Barnes was a very good coach. Top tier even but we weren't a national power. I know you have a major man crush on Barnes but it will be alright. 

Edited by texasstrong12

it's frankly astonishing to me that we have a "texas fan" who supports shaka smart while denying that Texas was a national power in the decade of the aughts. if you're ine if the 7-8 best programs in the nation for an entire decade you are a national power. period. but yeah, let's all keep celebrating Shaka Smart who is something like 15 games below .500 at Texas when you take out his best team which was all Rick Barnes' leftover players. Yeah, that's the ticket.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

it's frankly astonishing to me that we have a "texas fan" who supports shaka smart while denying that Texas was a national power in the decade of the aughts. if you're ine if the 7-8 best programs in the nation for an entire decade you are a national power. period. but yeah, let's all keep celebrating Shaka Smart who is something like 15 games below .500 at Texas when you take out his best team which was all Rick Barnes' leftover players. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Dude, Texas has not been considered a national power.  Y'all have made a noise in the NCAA, had some good runs, but that's basically it.

Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC.  These are the teams that are considered national powers. They've been on that stage consistently for decades.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dude, Texas has not been considered a national power.  Y'all have made a noise in the NCAA, had some good runs, but that's basically it.

Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC.  These are the teams that are considered national powers. They've been on that stage consistently for decades.  

Texas Big 3 sports:

Football (AP Poll)-46 top 25 finishes. 20 top 5 finishes. 

Baseball (CBN Poll)-49 top 25 finishes. 23 top 5 finishes. 

Basketball (AP Poll)-11 top 25 finishes. 1 top 5 finish.

Which one of these is not like the other? Anybody that argues Texas has ever been a "national power" in basketball is a Rick Barnes fanboy. Which is what Derka is. 

We've had a grand total of 1 top 5 finish in our history. Lol at "national power". 

Edited by texasstrong12

every single discussion with you goes this way. you start somewhere (eric musselman shouldn't be our coach because he hasn't been to the sweet 16 enough- which is a completely retarded notion by the way), and then when it's pointed out that Rick Barnes had only been once prior to coaching at Texas, only to immediately elevate Texas basketball's status to that of a perennial sweet 16 participant, you derail the thread in some completely tangential bullshit, trying to deflect from the obvious point so that you can argue semantics to death.

i don't give a shit if you do or don't consider Texas from 2001-2011 to have been a national power, your point was stupid, you don't know shit about eric musselman, and you have nothing of substance to add to the discussion. literally every time. you're more interested in "winning the argument" than actually discussing anything so you ride the tangent train into the ground until we all forget what we were even talking about. like clockwork.

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, longhornmatt said:

You’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and doggone it, people like tolerate you posting screed about Rick Barnes’s greatness on here 4 FUCKING YEARS AFTER WE FIRED HIM.

I thought John Wayne was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I was a little kid.  Instead of talking about that and arguing with people about it for the rest of my life, I moved on and found other things to do with my time.  Let it go,  Indiana Forrest.

mo better.

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

You’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and doggone it, people like tolerate you posting screed after screed about Rick Barnes’s greatness on here 4 FUCKING YEARS AFTER WE FIRED HIM.

I thought John Wayne was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I was a little kid.  Instead of talking about that and arguing with people about it for the rest of my life, I moved on and found other things to do with my time.  Let it go, Indiana.

??? You act as if I'm bringing him up completely out of nowhere, and you're too goddamn smart for that. But you've proven time and again that our iq and level of common sense drop dramatically due to the oncoming rage you feel every time you see me post. When someone says that we shouldn't hire Musselman because he hasn't been to the Sweet 16 enough (again, just a completely absurd take, especially considering that he's been an NCAA HC for a total of three whole years) the glaringly obvious reply is that Rick Barnes had only been to one Sweet 16 before arriving at Texas, only to immediately get Texas to the Sweet 16 and beyond with crazy regularity. Ipso facto TS12's "point" doesn't actually hold any water. But yeah, how totally strange of me to bring him up out of nowhere like that. 

Again, you are way too smart to posting shit that's as completely stupid as this.

4 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

After 20 years of shitty offense from Barnes and Smart, I'm ready for an offensive coach.  Who gives a shit if he can coach defense.   

This is especially true in the current age of basketball where rules advantaging the offense and freedom of movement will be a priority from here on out. Having a defense first coach  having a town crier for the dissemination of news.  

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

??? You act as if I'm bringing him up completely out of nowhere, and you're too goddamn smart for that. But you've proven time and again that our iq and level of common sense drop dramatically due to the oncoming rage you feel every time you see me post. When someone says that we shouldn't hire Musselman because he hasn't been to the Sweet 16 enough (again, just a completely absurd take, especially considering that he's been an NCAA HC for a total of three whole years) the glaringly obvious reply is that Rick Barnes had only been to one Sweet 16 before arriving at Texas, only to immediately get Texas to the Sweet 16 and beyond with crazy regularity. Ipso facto TS12's "point" doesn't actually hold any water. But yeah, how totally strange of me to bring him up out of nowhere like that. 

Again, you are way too smart to posting shit that's as completely stupid as this.

Hey! longhornmatt is NOT too smart for that!

(got your back LM)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

After 20 years of shitty offense from Barnes and Smart, I'm ready for an offensive coach.  Who gives a shit if he can coach defense.   

We had a whole bunch of really badass offenses under Rick Barnes. In terms of PPG, AdjO, tempo, everything. To copy another post from shaggy:

ick was always able to adjust his style to his personnel. People think of him as a defensive coach because that’s how he made his name and it’s what he’s known for, but even his team that famously imploded finished 6th in the country in scoring because they had the personnel to get up and down and push tempo. KD’s team is another example- they were also 6th in the country in scoring. His ‘05 team that lost LA and PJ finished 23rd in scoring and would likely have finished top 10 in scoring without losing those guys. The Royal Ivey led offense of 04 finished 32nd. TJ’s team was unsurprisingly 18th in the county. Rick is a damn good coach who is far more appreciated by his peers than he is fans of the school where he was at his best. Shaka’s perennial underachieving should be making that more clear for some around here.

Some of Texas' notable national rankings in AdjO under Barnes:

2003- 119.3, 3rd nationally

2004- 115.6, 17th nationally

2005- 114.1, 24th nationally, would have been higher had we not lost PJ Tucker and LaMarcus Aldridge half way through the year

2006- 117.5, 6th nationally

2008- 120.6, 3rd nationally

2010- 113.9, 24th nationally

2011- 115.5, 21st nationally

2012- 112.9, 31st nationally

For some reason it seems that most everyone only remembers Rick's last few teams at Texas. We ran some of the best offenses in the nation for years under Rick Barnes.

People are mostly focused on the fact that regardless of the offensive efficiency numbers under Barnes it really wasn't all that aesthetically pleasing to the eye (outside of '07, '08, & '11 those were pretty offenses) like a Mark Few or John Beilein offense. In general, ball screen offenses (without elite shooting to pair with it) which is what both Barnes and Shaka like to run look like shit to the eye. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

People are mostly focused on the fact that regardless of the offensive efficiency numbers under Barnes it really wasn't all that aesthetically pleasing to the eye (outside of '07, '08, & '11 those were pretty offenses) like a Mark Few or John Beilein offense. In general, ball screen offenses (without elite shooting to pair with it) which is what both Barnes and Shaka like to run look like shit to the eye. 

I can agree with that, and again that's been one of biggest selling points on Musselman- our offense would do a 180 overnight, at least in terms of aesthetics. His teams are fun to watch on that end.

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Tom Penders.

I honestly hated the stuff Penders ran. We just jacked up a shitload of 3s (especially for that era) with 0 ball or player movement and ran a figure 8 with our guards at the top of the key every now and then. We were completely undisciplined offensively under Penders. Our only saving grace aesthetically was that we were high tempo.  

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Tom Penders.

Part of my dad's job was making videos for the basketball team (recruiting videos, season recap videos, etc), and I remember as kid thinking that Tom Penders really had it figured out when he said in one of them, "Well my philosophy is that if we shoot more shots than the other team then we should score more points than they do." 

edit: @Catdaddyhorn's last post sums it up pretty nicely. just keep shooting.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Part of my dad's job was making videos for the basketball team (recruiting videos, season recap videos, etc), and I remember as kid thinking that Tom Penders really had it figured out when he said in one of them, "Well my philosophy is that if we shoot more shots than the other team then we should score more points than they do." 

edit: @Catdaddyhorn's last post sums it up pretty nicely. just keep shooting.

And what that offense presupposed is...what if they didn't...

Just now, Goo Punch said:

I can agree with that, and again that's been one of biggest selling points on Musselman- our offense would do a 180 overnight, at least in terms of aesthetics. His teams are fun to watch on that end.

You've watched Nevada far more than me, but from what I remember in the tournament Nevada ran a lot of ball screen stuff with a shitload of ball pounding too. Of course not all ball screen offenses are the same and they often look different from game to game depending on how well they're defended . Villanova and Golden State run ball screen offenses as well, but they mix in so much more coordinated movement on the backside and are wholly unselfish to go with their exquisite shooting so it doesn't look anything like our garbage ass version of those same concepts. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic