Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

He can redeem himself nicely with wins over VCU and Purdue this week.  But we're probably gonna be lucky to split those two games.  Damn lucky actually.  

I really wish he had had more success here.  He needs to win at least 1, if not 2 games in the tourney this year.  And his "offense" is just not built for that.  

22 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Jesus fucking Christ.

Yeah, he went on a neg rep fatwa on me a few weeks ago after I negged his hilarious awful takes on the Sam Ehlinger thread. It is really amazing how insecure and psychotic he gets about his rep points.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, Cameltoe said:

It's a bad loss and we apparently took a lot of outside shots and missed them all which is, well, stupid.

That said, a loss in November is not the end of the world and fire-the-coach talk is way too early at this point. 

You should have fired him in March retard. 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He can redeem himself nicely with wins over VCU and Purdue this week.  But we're probably gonna be lucky to split those two games.  Damn lucky actually.  

I really wish he had had more success here.  He needs to win at least 1, if not 2 games in the tourney this year.  And his "offense" is just not built for that.  

He's 2-2 against likely tournament teams, with a -8 in those 4 games. He will likely split those 2 games with a negative point differential. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, laugh.  They just beat UT (17th ranked BTW, on your home court), and it should have been a bigger margin, they missed several easy, lay ups down the stretch.  

Radford is a strong mid major team.   They have a better chance of making it to the dance than Texas does based on how they're playing now.  Texas is going in the opposite direction of a top ranked team.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, laugh.  They just beat UT (17th ranked BTW, on your home court), and it should have been a bigger margin, they missed several easy, lay ups down the stretch.  

Radford is a strong mid major team.   They have a better chance of making it to the dance than Texas does based on how they're playing now.  Texas is going in the opposite direction of a top ranked team.

The Big South is not a mid major. It's one of the worst conferences in the country.

You're an idiot.

Radford, who has lost to Duquesne and got all they could handle from the likes of William and Mary and Illinois-Chicago, is not a really good team. They are a good Big South team, which usually means they're right around the fringe of the top 100 teams in the country. Any actual good team (so not Texas or ND) would dispatch of them, especially at home. And teams from the Big South aren't generally considered "mid majors" to begin with. 

If you start throwing conferences like the Big South into the "mid-major" label then it begins to lose all meaning. I don't think every conference that isn't a P5 should be labelled as a mid-major. When I hear mid-major I think FBS schools that are outside of the P5. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Radford, who has lost to Duquesne and got all they could handle from the likes of William and Mary and Illinois-Chicago, is not a really good team. They are a good Big South team, which usually means they're right around the fringe of the top 100 teams in the country. Any actual good team (so not Texas or ND) would dispatch of them, especially at home. And teams from the Big South aren't generally considered "mid majors" to begin with. 

No no, I'm on ignore,  But yeah they aren't a powerhouse, and play in a weak conference.  They're a decent/good team with older players that can win games, and have a good shot at the NCAA.  Texas was lucky that game was only a 3 point difference.  

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you start throwing conferences like the Big South into the "mid-major" label then it begins to lose all meaning. I don't think every conference that isn't a P5 should be labelled as a mid-major. When I hear mid-major I think FBS schools that are outside of the P5. 

Mid major is a pretty generic term for programs that aren't P5. There are certainly degrees of mid major strength, but that's what they are.  Would you call Gonzaga a mid major program?  I'd call 'em a P5 (level) program even though they play in a small, weakish, mid major conference.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not sure what you're even arguing.  Yes, Radford appears to be a better team than UT right now, which is why we have a thread calling for our overpaid clown of a coach to be fired.  

Yet, previously, in response to this nonsense:

On 12/1/2018 at 11:02 AM, Cameltoe said:

That said, a loss in November is not the end of the world and fire-the-coach talk is way too early at this point. 

You state:

On 12/1/2018 at 11:14 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Radford is a quality team and could be in the top 25 if they were in a P5 conference right now. They're solid so far.

Which appears like a "well don't freak out about Smart - Radford is a good team" defense.  Then, when called on this bullshit, you respond with the "nanny nanny boo - Radford is better than Texas" shit above.  

I think I'd almost rather read about Derka's rep wars than this shit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No no, I'm on ignore,  But yeah they aren't a powerhouse, and play in a weak conference.  They're a decent/good team with older players that can win games, and have a good shot at the NCAA.  Texas was lucky that game was only a 3 point difference.  

Radford HAS to win their conference to get a bid. And even if they do - they could end up playing a first-four game like they did last year. UT can dick around to 19-20 wins and make it as a 9 seed. 

The Big South exists as a way to funnel a 16 seed into getting shit on in the first round. They have never had anything close to resembling a top 25 team. Losing to any of their members as a ranked team at home is embarrassing. It doesn't say shit about Radford - it should tell you that Texas is a poorly-coached mess. 

Since making the FF in 2011 Shaka is 2-6 in the tourney. His 2011 run is the only time he's made it out of the first weekend. He has zero conference titles in his head coaching career. He finished 5th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, and 4th at VCU. He's finished 4th, 10th, and 7th in the league at Texas.  

The cherry on top of this shit sundae is that Shaka has done all of this underachieving at VCU and Texas with superior talent. Shaka had three NBA players on one team at VCU. You think that wasn't better than the teams he was playing against in the CAA and the A-10? At Texas he's had more talent than any team in the league save KU, and they're doing slightly better than we are during Shaka's time here.

We compete with UK, KU, Duke, UNC, and Gonzaga for our recruits, meanwhile 8 of the 9 teams we play have rosters full of west african and bahamian juco transfers who played soccer until they were 16, goofy white kids from kansas and iowa, and project players that no big programs wanted, guys who had to be coached up to become good college players. And those teams beat us and our four and five star nba draft prospects with such regularity that none of them fear playing us. nobody does. when teams see Texas in the schedule their eyes light up, because they know that they have a great chance to beat a team full of guys who preferred over them, plus a future pro or two. I seriously cannot believe that anyone still supports this guy. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

The semantics about whether Radford is indeed a good basketball team or not by the people still clinging to hope that Shaka will be successful is really irrelevant.

Smart: 55-52 (23-31), 6 games into year 4 and he is getting paid $3 million dollars for that.

Barnes: 71-34 (38-10, 6 games into year 4.

Time to cut bait, couldn't give a shit if we make the tournament. It is time Texas basketball raised it's "Well we still made the tournament" expectations.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chase25 said:

The semantics about whether Radford is indeed a good basketball team or not by the people still clinging to hope that Shaka will be successful is really irrelevant.

Smart: 55-52 (23-31), 6 games into year 4 and he is getting paid $3 million dollars for that.

Barnes: 71-34 (38-10, 6 games into year 4.

Time to cut bait, couldn't give a shit if we make the tournament. It is time Texas basketball raised it's "Well we still made the tournament" expectations.

Barnes was a great coach that put Texas basketball on the map and then got complacent and stubborn towards the end of his tenure.

Shaka doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. The only thing he has done is continue to chip away at whatever relevance Texas basketball enjoyed throughout the 2000s. 

If you are a coach at a program with the resources Texas has and the recruits that Texas gets then you should get 2 years minimum - maybe 3 to make the sweet sixteen AT LEAST. 

Anything less than that is embarrassing and a failure as a head coach. But Texas' traditional basketball complaceny will give guys like Shaka 4 years of overpaid underperformance without blinking twice. 

Barnes proved that UT can be a contender. It isn't that hard. Find someone that understands that - give them three years max to make good on it and send them packing. This isn't football where you have to get "your guys" on the field or develop a system. If you can't coach up talent in year 2 you aren't going to do shit in year 3. 

• Like 1

So are people rooting for Shaka to Charlie Strong himself then? Because I don't see CDC making a move this year if we manage to make the tournament again or even just miss the cutline but still get 17-18 wins (though it would likely turn '19-'20 into a make-or-break year).

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So are people rooting for Shaka to Charlie Strong himself then? Because I don't see CDC making a move this year if we manage to make the tournament again or even just miss the cutline but still get 17-18 wins (though it would likely turn '19-'20 into a make-or-break year).

Nah, I hope Texas finishes in the Top 4 of the conference and gets a Top 4-5 seed in the tournament. I know from watching Shaka's tenure neither of those things is likely given how flawed this team is at shooting.

• Like 4

Nah, I hope Texas finishes in the Top 4 of the conference and gets a Top 4-5 seed in the tournament. I know from watching Shaka's tenure neither of those things is likely given how flawed this team is at shooting.

Not just flawed shooting, but nothing is ever earnestly done to attempt to get easy shots. Shit I'd be happy with a post to post screen on the low block or even a simple ass flex offensive set every now and then.

My biggest problem with Shaka is there seems to be a hella lot of give up in him. Whether it be the end of the Duke game last year when he inexplicably looked at both Banks and Hamm sitting on the bench and effectively waived the white flag as he chose Eric Fucking Davis to join Dylan in the front court to match up against Wendall Carter and Marvin Bagley. Or whether it be the last 10 minutes against Michigan State this year or even Radford, at a certain point you just gotta quit banging your head against the wall jacking 3s every other time down the court. You show some actual urgency and fight. At a certain point it becomes time to football the game up and go straight to the rim and crash the boards with everything you got like you want to fucking win. There's absolutely no fight in Shaka and it's exemplified in his teams. Say what you want about Barnes but his team's never had this amount of sheer give up in them. As Febres missed his last 3 against Radford in the waiting seconds there wasn't one Longhorn in the vicinity to come close to coming down with the offensive board. That's simply indefensible.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CDC wants a new arena.  Considering what it’ll take to make that a reality, I’m thinking he’s not gonna let a lame duck coach hang around and suck all life and excitement out of the program.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Because I don't see CDC making a move this year if we manage to make the tournament again or even just miss the cutline but still get 17-18 wins (though it would likely turn '19-'20 into a make-or-break year).

Why? I have faith in CDC not to be a retard.  Barely making or missing a benchmark that about 70 teams in the country meet every year should not be the benchmark we use, particularly for a coach in his fourth year that is paid 12th highest in the country.  

32 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Not just flawed shooting, but nothing is ever earnestly done to attempt to get easy shots. Shit I'd be happy with a post to post screen on the low block or even a simple ass flex offensive set every now and then.

My biggest problem with Shaka is there seems to be a hella lot of give up in him. Whether it be the end of the Duke game last year when he inexplicably looked at both Banks and Hamm sitting on the bench and effectively waived the white flag as he chose Eric Fucking Davis to join Dylan in the front court to match up against Wendall Carter and Marvin Bagley. Or whether it be the last 10 minutes against Michigan State this year or even Radford, at a certain point you just gotta quit banging your head against the wall jacking 3s every other time down the court. You show some actual urgency and fight. At a certain point it becomes time to football the game up and go straight to the rim and crash the boards with everything you got like you want to fucking win. There's absolutely no fight in Shaka and it's exemplified in his teams. Say what you want about Barnes but his team's never had this amount of sheer give up in them. As Febres missed his last 3 against Radford in the waiting seconds there wasn't one Longhorn in the vicinity to come close to coming down with the offensive board. That's simply indefensible.

Team, reflection of coach.  Shaka talks about intensity as something the players have to take upon themselves to have.  As if it's their decision, and woe is us because we don't have any seniors who can take charge.  Fuck that.  Tell that shit to Tom Izzo.  His team will kick your ass because he demands that they kick your ass.  There's no decision about it. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

55 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Why? I have faith in CDC not to be a retard.  Barely making or missing a benchmark that about 70 teams in the country meet every year should not be the benchmark we use, particularly for a coach in his fourth year that is paid 12th highest in the country.  

Because all indications before the season were that Shaka's seat wasn't even the slightest bit warm.

And as bad as this loss was, we're talking about a sport where one bad loss doesn't derail a season and even good teams shit their pants once in a while. Oregon lost to Texas Southern. Villanova lost to Furman. UNC lost to Wofford last year. All three of those losses occurred on the ranked team's home floor.

It is totally plausible to me that we grit and grind and out-talent our way to a middling finish in the Big 12, a seed in the 9-11 range, and flame out competitively in the first round of the tournament again, and Shaka gets one more year to prove himself.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Because all indications before the season were that Shaka's seat wasn't even the slightest bit warm.

And as bad as this loss was, we're talking about a sport where one bad loss doesn't derail a season and even good teams shit their pants once in a while. Oregon lost to Texas Southern. Villanova lost to Furman. UNC lost to Wofford last year. All three of those losses occurred on the ranked team's home floor.

It is totally plausible to me that we grit and grind and out-talent our way to a middling finish in the Big 12, a seed in the 9-11 range, and flame out competitively in the first round of the tournament again, and Shaka gets one more year to prove himself.

That would be CDC's first terrible decision then. And, no offense, you sound you like you are projecting your own defense of Shaka onto CDC.

I personally don't care about "one" loss, although Radford was just the latest in a string of bad losses during Smart's term.

I care about how we look, our trajectory, and where we are headed. It's obvious we will never be a consistent top 15-20 basketball program under Shaka, which is what we should be given our talent and what we are paying him. We don't need some arbitrary benchmark to guide us.  It's year 4.  He sucks.  Time to move on.  

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

That would be CDC's first terrible decision then. And, no offense, you sound you like you are projecting your own defense of Shaka onto CDC.

I personally don't care about "one" loss, although Radford was just the latest in a string of bad losses during Smart's term.

I care about how we look, our trajectory, and where we are headed. It's obvious we will never be a consistent top 15-20 basketball program under Shaka, which is what we should be given our talent and what we are paying him. We don't need some arbitrary benchmark to guide us.  It's year 4.  He sucks.  Time to move on.  

Trust me, I'm not projecting any defense. If we don't show any improvement by the end of this year, I'm more than ready for a change.

I'm merely providing a plausible alternative viewpoint.

I just looked up Shaka's contract.  If he is fired after this season he is owed $12.9mm.  I don't even think UT boosters are up for that sum.  His contract is fully guaranteed through 2023.  I don't know that he is even touchable until after the 2021 season given his buyout and how little UT Basketball will mean as football starts to take its spot as a NY6+ program again.

Shaka's system will always win games it shouldn't and lose games it shouldn't.  That means it will never string together a deep run more than once a decade.  It will also never string together enough wins to be at the top of the conference.  Shaka as a coach is just going to exist and never do enough to get fired and never do enough to be a "success."  He's pretty much the worst hire possible because what the fuck do you do with him??  He's like being an 8-10 seed in the NBA.  You at best will get torched in the playoffs and you won't see any benefit going into the next season.

CDC's best option is to start fucking with Shaka's staff and tell him he better get someone who can coach offense and he better start coaching the way he got to UT on defense as well.  Put some fire in his belly.  Either that, or self report violations with the FBI stuff (if there is anything to report) and fire his ass for cause.  

UT is just in a bad spot with him and barring some miracle or staff shake up it isn't going to get better. 

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

just looked up Shaka's contract.  If he is fired after this season he is owed $12.9mm.  I don't even think UT boosters are up for that sum.

I can believe that.

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don't know that he is even touchable until after the 2021 season given his buyout

I don't know if I believe that, given that we're opening a new arena soon. I think 2019-20 will be put up or shut up unless we completely crater this season or go on a huge run.

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

CDC's best option is to start fucking with Shaka's staff and tell him he better get someone who can coach offense and he better start coaching the way he got to UT on defense as well. 

We already hired a new offensive assistant. Ball movement might be a little better, but the result is largely the same.

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Either that, or self report violations with the FBI stuff (if there is anything to report) and fire his ass for cause.  

This is dumb.

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I just looked up Shaka's contract.  If he is fired after this season he is owed $12.9mm.  I don't even think UT boosters are up for that sum.  His contract is fully guaranteed through 2023.  I don't know that he is even touchable until after the 2021 season given his buyout and how little UT Basketball will mean as football starts to take its spot as a NY6+ program again.

Shaka's system will always win games it shouldn't and lose games it shouldn't.  That means it will never string together a deep run more than once a decade.  It will also never string together enough wins to be at the top of the conference.  Shaka as a coach is just going to exist and never do enough to get fired and never do enough to be a "success."  He's pretty much the worst hire possible because what the fuck do you do with him??  He's like being an 8-10 seed in the NBA.  You at best will get torched in the playoffs and you won't see any benefit going into the next season.

CDC's best option is to start fucking with Shaka's staff and tell him he better get someone who can coach offense and he better start coaching the way he got to UT on defense as well.  Put some fire in his belly.  Either that, or self report violations with the FBI stuff (if there is anything to report) and fire his ass for cause.  

UT is just in a bad spot with him and barring some miracle or staff shake up it isn't going to get better. 

Knowing how often you're woefully wrong and completely off base with your predictions I'm suddenly hopeful for our future. 

• Like 2

They say the truth hurts, and I would point to jhawk’s post as evidence of just that. Ouch.

To clarify, I can see scenarios where parts of his post will (hopefully) prove wrong. That said, it does paint a painful picture of how bad Shaka’s contract really is for UT.

Patterson was so fucking awful.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I can believe that.

I don't know if I believe that, given that we're opening a new arena soon. I think 2019-20 will be put up or shut up unless we completely crater this season or go on a huge run.

We already hired a new offensive assistant. Ball movement might be a little better, but the result is largely the same.

This is dumb.

Haha... The FBI was a little tongue in cheek but it could be the avenue to Mike Leach him.  Publicly fire him for cause and then let him sue the university to get his money.  You could either 1. Settle for a lesser amount or, 2. Pull a tech and use the state rules to say the state cannot be sued by a citizen and he is just fucked.

It isn't the best approach but it might be better than 5th place in conference (or worse) and early exits in the tourney if you make it at all.

Shaka has ridden a couple of good wins a really long way.  Further than any other coach I can think of.  When you look at his achievements, he basically beat KU and Purdue and parlayed that into what... $17-18mm guaranteed at this point?  He never won his conference at VCU and has never advanced past the first weekend of the tourney with the exception of his F4 run.  He isn't a bad coach, he just isn't a good one.  He's just shaka and my thought is that just being a ho-hum coach doesn't cut it at UT.

11 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Patterson was so fucking awful.

something everyone can agree on.

also i was out of line the other day, sorry about that. i'd like to say that it won't happen again, but that would be like saying that one of Shaka's teams won't shoot 5-27 from deep again. Such is life.

• Like 2

something everyone can agree on.

also i was out of line the other day, sorry about that. i'd like to say that it won't happen again, but that would be like saying that one of Shaka's teams won't shoot 5-27 from deep again. Such is life.

Appreciate the apology. Happy to move past it.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic