Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

it was predicted, by many...we have a bad offense and anemic outside shooters.  if a couple of our guys happen to go off every 3rd or 4th game we have a a chance to win.  maybe we can SMU's coach.

You shut your mouth. 

Edited by ztejas
Jk I think you should give Jankovich a look but please don't steal him

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

And you sound like a dumb fuck. I’ve already said we should fire him. I’ve also said our basketball culture has sucked ass for a decade. The FEC has terminal cancer and we have an entitled, unrealistic, spoiled fanbase. 

unrealistic to show up after losing to Radford?

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

And you sound like a dumb fuck. I’ve already said we should fire him. I’ve also said our basketball culture has sucked ass for a decade. The FEC has terminal cancer and we have an entitled, unrealistic, spoiled fanbase. 

So you are telling me I shouldn't expect our $3 million dollar coach to out-coach 2 of his former assistants with a stacked deck in his favor?

I'm so glad I'm learning so much tonight. I'm an idiot, my expectations were just to high

giphy.gif

Edited by chase25

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

So you are telling me I shouldn't expect our $3 million dollar coach to out-coach 2 of his former assistants with a stacked deck in his favor?

giphy.gif

You're both right in very strange, not quite totally accurate ways.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Coaching changes don't work like that. If we make a midseason firing, it'll be Darrin Horn as interim, with a proper national search conducted in the offseason. As it should be.

Under normal circumstances, sure.  But when Hoiberg is available, you make a call to gauge his interest now.  

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I'm so glad I'm learning so much tonight. I'm an idiot, my expectations were just to high

giphy.gif

"But Radford is a tournament team and VCU has been to a final four in the last decade, if the fans cant show up for that, how can you expect Shaka to do his job you stupid sip" -Firemans4Horn

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Like 2

At this point, I'm beginning to think the guy is trying to get fired.  

He has two options for the team,

1) Run havoc.  It might not win you games against Kansas or get you really deep in the tourney, but it's exciting, it was your modus operandi at VCU,  it attracts players, fans like it, and you should be able to overmatch enough average teams to make the tourney every year.  Or, 

2) Play a shitty half court offense, that's boring, the players didn't come here to play it, it's pissing off the fans, AND you have no idea how to coach it.

Why choose "B" coach?

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

1) Run havoc.  It might not win you games against Kansas or get you really deep in the tourney, but it's exciting, it was your modus operandi at VCU,  it attracts players, fans like it, you should be able to overmatch enough average teams to make the tourney every year.  Or, 

2) Play a shitty half court offense, that's boring, the players didn't come here to play it, it's pissing off the fans, AND you have no idea how to coach it.

Why choose "B" coach?

Well, Shaka was probably thinking beyond the season and realized that his Havoc gimmick would not elevate this program in the longer term.

Of course, now he's coaching for his job, so who the hell cares about the long term?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, Shaka was probably thinking beyond the season and realized that his Havoc gimmick would not elevate this program in the longer term.

Of course, now he's coaching for his job, so who the hell cares about the long term?

What VCU is playing right now is HAVOC lite.  They play tough defense, and hope to turn you over, or force hurried, bad, outside shots.  They don't have a fast break team that can take advantage of it consistently, but playing good defense keeps them in the game.

Trivia: When Shaka was successfully running HAVOC at VCU, he had current VCU coach Mike Rhoads on his Bench.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Trivia: When Shaka was successfully running HAVOC at VCU, he had current VCU coach Mike Rhoads on his Bench.

The similarities between Shaka and Charlie Strong are striking, but one thing about Shaka is that he was really good at hiring assistants at VCU. Darrin Horn was a good hire here too. Of course, I'm not sure if Mike Morrell or Neill Berry have made much of an impact on this team, and it's pretty clear Jai Lucas doesn't pull his weight aside from the recruiting trail.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Machinator said:

The similarities between Shaka and Charlie Strong are striking, but one thing about Shaka is that he was really good at hiring assistants at VCU. Darrin Horn was a good hire here too. Of course, I'm not sure if Mike Morrell or Neill Berry have made much of an impact on this team, and it's pretty clear Jai Lucas doesn't pull his weight aside from the recruiting trail.

If he has good assistants, then I'm at a loss why he isn't succeeding there.  He was such a great motivator at VCU.  But even there when HAVOC wasn't working he had nothing else to go to. He was a one trick pony.  

Just now, jinx said:

Curious where you saw this.  I listen to their podcast but don't do twitter or subscribe to the 995s.  

He made a post on Inside Texas right after the game.

As a coach of a white collar sport at a blue collar school, I have a soft spot in my heart for coaches who preach one thing and then have players who don't execute that vision. I truly believe Shaka is probably saying most of the right things, but those words are getting lost: either because he's saying them in the wrong way or he's entrusting them to the wrong players or whatever.

There is no defending these last two losses. When Rick had to go, it was time. 

These felt like those kind of losses to me.

Maybe Roach can't get it done. Maybe Osetkowski can't either. If those are true, what the **** have the last two years been for anyways?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

1) Run havoc.  It might not win you games against Kansas or get you really deep in the tourney, but it's exciting, it was your modus operandi at VCU,  it attracts players, fans like it, and you should be able to overmatch enough average teams to make the tourney every year.  Or, 

Why choose "B" coach?

which is why he was a bad hire.  You pick a guy because he is successful.  you hire a guy for the Off/Def he ran while being successful.  we aren't a training ground for some coach to practice being a big time coach.  either he snowed patterson or patterson is the dumbest MFer on the planet.  I'm actually going with the latter.  Perrin threw good money after bad.

• Like 1

And now that his departure is pretty much an inevitability (and probably will happen after this season), I'm giving in and will join the "post your list of candidates" train.

Beard, Hoiberg, Musselman, and Buzz Williams are the starting points.

Oh, and spare me the "Make Bill Self say no" bullshit.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jhawk said:

I just looked up Shaka's contract.  If he is fired after this season he is owed $12.9mm.  I don't even think UT boosters are up for that sum.  His contract is fully guaranteed through 2023.  I don't know that he is even touchable until after the 2021 season given his buyout and how little UT Basketball will mean as football starts to take its spot as a NY6+ program again.

Shaka's system will always win games it shouldn't and lose games it shouldn't.  That means it will never string together a deep run more than once a decade.  It will also never string together enough wins to be at the top of the conference.  Shaka as a coach is just going to exist and never do enough to get fired and never do enough to be a "success."  He's pretty much the worst hire possible because what the fuck do you do with him??  He's like being an 8-10 seed in the NBA.  You at best will get torched in the playoffs and you won't see any benefit going into the next season.

CDC's best option is to start fucking with Shaka's staff and tell him he better get someone who can coach offense and he better start coaching the way he got to UT on defense as well.  Put some fire in his belly.  Either that, or self report violations with the FBI stuff (if there is anything to report) and fire his ass for cause.  

UT is just in a bad spot with him and barring some miracle or staff shake up it isn't going to get better. 

What's the best source for this Damn Shaka Contract??

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Kidnap Few. I don't care if he loves it in Spokane or wherever Gonzaga is. Force him here by gunpoint.  

I'd call Few, just to see if he might want to try something different, but the likelyhood of him leaving a place he can win an NC at already is very very close to zero.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And now that his departure is pretty much an inevitability (and probably will happen after this season), I'm giving in and will join the "post your list of candidates" train.

Beard, Hoiberg, Musselman, and Buzz Williams are the starting points.

Oh, and spare me the "Make Bill Self say no" bullshit.

CDC 's task to raise money for a new basketball arena is not gonna be easy.  Might need a lot more KD help.....

I do not understand these people who maintained coming into this season that they were high on Shaka Smart. The amount of facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence that I personally have posted about Shaka's entire HC career on shaggy and now surly is overwhelming. There are two types of people in these scenarios: those who look objectively at the body of work and let that tell the story, and those who only look for things which reinforce what they already believe/want to believe.

The body of work has screamed that 2011 was lightning in a bottle, and that Shaka Smart has never been good enough to take over a program with Final 4 aspirations. Year after year after year after year of facts, and film, and data, a all empirically proving that Shaka Smart is nowhere near an upper tier coach, and yet scores of people have steadfastly contended that Shaka was going to take the next step at Texas, never mind the fact that he's been worse than Tom Penders, who himself was several steps behind Rick Barnes.

Why? Seriously- why? All of the evidence has always shown that Shaka's teams are poorly coached. Does everyone not remember 2011? VCU's admission into the tournament was decried as a travesty, and the consensus was that it was the most egregious entry into the tourney in a long time- arguably ever. And the rest of his resume at VCU is objectively worse than most if not all of his contemporaries at the school. Then he comes to Texas and has the team consistently ranked in the 200's and 300's in most major statistical categories, and people *still* believe that he's going to take Texas to the next level? You're mad.

Whats worse is that so many of the Shaka sycophants have been so goddamn holier than thou over the years. Where they at now? Why aren't they suffering in the game threads with the rest of us? Where'd they all go?

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Worst two Texas Basketball games in the last 50 years..... Never thought that I would see BBall coaching at Texas worse than Leon Black's again...

And they were Back-To- Back Home Games against Radford &VCU???

giphy.gif

WTF ???

giphy.gif

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah, every black guy ever hired for anything was hired solely because he's black. 

The only people defending this clown at this point are those like you that only care about the color of his skin.  Same as Charlie post Kansas.  

He fucking has earned an F and it’s season four.  

I wanted Barnes fired bad.  And Smart makes Barnes look like John Wooden.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

The only people defending this clown at this point are those like you that only care about the color of his skin.  Same as Charlie post Kansas.  

I didn't read his comment as defending Shaka.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Said the racist. 

Where's my defense in the quoted post??? Perhaps you should actually post and read this forum before you make inane comments about who defends who. I was calling out a shitastic take fuckboy. . And for the record I started a thread on the old site about firing Charlie in year 2 and was against him being hired from the start. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Said the racist. 

Where's my defense in the quoted post??? Perhaps you should actually post and read this forum before you make inane comments about who defends who. I was calling out a shitastic take fuckboy. . And for the record I started a thread on the old site about firing Charlie in year 2 and was against him being hired from the start. 

Did you not post this last week?

Im pretty sure we were under .500 in conference in the 3 years before Shaka got here and that was without a cancer stricken guard, and losing arguably our best player in everyone of those 3 years. Just providing context before the neg storm.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic