Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

UT got royally fucked by the interim AD.  I can't believe he was allowed to renegotiate this contract.  Chris Mack was the obvious answer and he was willing to move.  You could have easily justified a firing to hire him.

This is why Texas is Texas. They are never royally fucked by anything other than Big Xii officiating

19 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I trust CDC to do what needs to be done.  CDC also needs to raise money for a new arena.  This program isn't currently doing that. 

Because they aren't going to get the necessary donations with The Shocker still coaching

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Hard, no. Expensive, yes. But we're Texas, not Tech.

If Texas wants Chris Beard, Texas will get Chris Beard.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your basketball program is currently irrelevant and there would be very little incentive for Beard to take what amounts to a step backwards into a place with a fickle fan base and unrealistic expectations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Hard, no. Expensive, yes. But we're Texas, not Tech.

If Texas wants Chris Beard, Texas will get Chris Beard.

Dude, Texas isn't paying $26MM in buyouts for a fucking basketball coach.  The "We're Texas" shit is dumb in that context.

• Like 1

Yea I've posted about it before but the only part about Texas basketball that is intriguing is the potential to take it past what Rick Barnes brought to us, before that we weren't anything great.

We do have NBA superstar KD and NBA fringe star LA that we have to use but acting like we are Kentucky or Duke is dumb. We aren't spending money in basketball like we will in football. It's just not happening.

49 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your basketball program is currently irrelevant and there would be very little incentive for Beard to take what amounts to a step backwards into a place with a fickle fan base and unrealistic expectations.

You can do all of the mental gymnastics you want, but in no universe is any job at Texas Tech better than Texas.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NowThis said:

Texas has the talent level to be top 15, the athletic ability is even better than the skill set. wth happened from the UNC game to now? No discipline.

"No discipline" is what I think every time I watch a Shaka team play.  Where Barnes teams seemed to play tight because they new a bad 3 might have them on the bench for 3 games, this team takes bad shot after bad shot with absolutely zero repercussions.

I have asked in the past, what in the hell do they practice.  It isn't apparent that they are good at anything.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Then why couldn't UT hire Tim Tadlock away from Tech?  UT baseball is far batter than UT basketball.

You would agree it’s harder to pull an alumnus correct?

That’s the only real connection to Beard for Texas fans, it’s a dumbass argument. He’s locked there but if it were solely a money issue, Texas would handle it. But who’s dropping that kind of money on a guy who isn’t elite at this stage of his career?

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea I've posted about it before but the only part about Texas basketball that is intriguing is the potential to take it past what Rick Barnes brought to us, before that we weren't anything great.

We do have NBA superstar KD and NBA fringe star LA that we have to use but acting like we are Kentucky or Duke is dumb. We aren't spending money in basketball like we will in football. It's just not happening.

It helps that Durant is throwing money at you. Then again - it might be getting drained down a black hole. 

Talk about mega multimillionaire booster that cares about the basketball program. CDC better have Durant on fucking speed dial. 

33 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

That’s the only real connection to Beard for Texas fans, it’s a dumbass argument. He’s locked there but if it were solely a money issue, Texas would handle it. But who’s dropping that kind of money on a guy who isn’t elite at this stage of his career?

David said any job at UT is better than any at Tech did he not?  That's what I was responding to.  As I recall, many on the old shag didn't think Tadlock's being a Tech alumnus wouldn't present any problems as far as hiring him away - and then it didn't happen.

44 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I don't really even buy the alumnus argument with Beard. He's spent far more time at Tech than he ever did in Austin at this point. I agree with your latter point, though. He has to string together a few more good seasons before he's in that picture. And IMO, the money doesn't even really factor in. Tech has some new money donors at this point that would gladly pay whatever it took to keep Beard if he keeps up the way he is going.

9 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

They are better jobs, that isn’t even debatable. It’s the top baseball job in the country. But coaches don’t move around like they used to. With the current transfer market, recruiting has changed so much across sports. It’s a good thing.

Tech just pulled a Utah State alum from USU to be our football coach.  I'm not trying to suggest that the difference between Tech and Utah State isn't bigger than that between Tech and UT, but the point is, Tech is a far better job than Utah State, and it was a good career move for Wells, so he took the job.  Being an alum has nothing to do with it.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't really even buy the alumnus argument with Beard. He's spent far more time at Tech than he ever did in Austin at this point. I agree with your latter point, though. He has to string together a few more good seasons before he's in that picture. And IMO, the money doesn't even really factor in. Tech has some new money donors at this point that would gladly pay whatever it took to keep Beard if he keeps up the way he is going.

Yeah, I tend to think if and when Beard leaves Tech, it'll be for whichever blue blood BB school job he covets the most, not to "come home" to UT.

58 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I really really wish there was a way we could offer John Beilein such a huge raise with incentive based add-ons that we could pull him from Michigan, but they return a lot of talent and he has no reason to leave. 

I wish he was 10-15 years younger.  I'd take him when bill leaves.  I don't think he'd recruit at a level that even roy was recruiting and I don't think that we'd string together conference titles, but I think every team would be exciting because he coaches every player up above what their ceiling is.  That's fun basketball to watch and he's really coming into his own as a coach.

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Exactly. That's my firm belief as well that we'll be stuck with Shaka for several more years no matter how badly the seasons pan out due to his massive buyout. Money is never an issue with the football program, but some deluded posters seem to believe Texas is a top tier basketball school and that's simply not the case. Texas isn't a Duke, Kentucky, UNC or KU. The interim AD fucked Texas over for the foreseeable future and CDC has to be face palming realizing he can't justify buying Shaka out when attendance and interest in the Bball program has hit rock bottom.

1 minute ago, Chad said:

Exactly. That's my firm belief as well that we'll be stuck with Shaka for several more years no matter how badly the seasons pan out due to his massive buyout. Money is never an issue with the football program, but some deluded posters seem to believe Texas is a top tier basketball school and that's simply not the case. Texas isn't a Duke, Kentucky, UNC or KU. The interim AD fucked Texas over for the foreseeable future and CDC has to be face palming realizing he can't justify buying Shaka out when attendance and interest in the Bball program has hit rock bottom.

Our current arena is empty on game nights, and we are trying to open a new arena in the coming years. We literally had thousands more in attendance for a women's midweek day game than we did for our last two men's games. Shaka is actively losing us money with his performance. I believe that retaining Shaka would fall under the "sink cost fallacy" category. The longer we keep him, the more money we ultimately lose.

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Plus there are better options than Beard

Possibly, but where's the fun in not taking a (non) rival's corch just because you could?

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Our current arena is empty on game nights, and we are trying to open a new arena in the coming years. We literally had thousands more in attendance for a women's midweek day game than we did for our last two men's games. Shaka is actively losing us money with his performance. I believe that retaining Shaka would fall under the "sink cost fallacy" category. The longer we keep him, the more money we ultimately lose.

I believe that too, but without some donors stepping up to the plate to pay the buyout directly you also have a cash flow problem.  I'm not sure what the average market for UT tickets was in top 25 type season for barnes but let's play some math games...

Your new stadium is going to be 9000 seats.  If the average ticket spends $50 on admission and on merch/food and you have 17 home games a year give or take a game.  That's only $7.65mm a year.  That is selling out every game and that doesn't include the cost of anything or anyone in the arena.  I'm not an AD finance guy but even if you had a 20% profit margin then your entire season would effectively pay off 11% of the buyout.  So even projecting that forward it would be a 10 year investment to pay off Shaka.  That is a fucking load and would essentially make your basketball program a loser on the balance sheet for a decade.  In my opinion those conditions are pretty ideal too.  That also doesn't account for a new coach's salary.

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Then why couldn't UT hire Tim Tadlock away from Tech?  UT baseball is far batter than UT basketball.

Stop, just stop. Texas did not seriously go after Tadlock, he had a no-compete clause in his contract. He did what every big name coach does when the Texas job comes open, throw my hat in there and get a raise, if his agent hadn't done that then his agent would have been a dumb ass.

Congratulations, you held onto a lifer that played at Tech who wasn't a serious candidate for the job.

Tech only has 6 more national titles and 33 more CWS appearances to go.

Beard at 26 million is off the table. Come the fuck on.  We wouldn't pay that for a football coach unless it was Saban.  Donovan is not coming here. He and Shaka are close.  It's probably a deal breaker unless Shaka endorses UT... he won't.  Which brings us back to Hoiberg.  I agree, you normally don't see coaching changes at major universities mid-season, but then Hoiberg usually isn't unemployed mid-season either.  If not, make Mussleman an offer he can't refuse at season's end.

Shaka's buyout sucks, but realistic pressure could be brought to bear. Tell him he'll be re-assigned to an administrative job for the duration of his contract, effectively removing multiple years from his coaching career.  He'll agree to an offset arrangement.  He wants to coach.  

Texas basketball is like a 7/10 with a pretty face and a nice butt.

Why some of you think it's a 9/10 with rocking tits I have no idea. Texas isn't the only school in the country with money.

Billy Donovan would hang up the phone and laugh all the way to the bank if CDC called him. 

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Meat Judging.  Texas Tech is to Meat Judging what Alabama is to CFB. 

Fo Real

Okie Lite just won Title for 2018.... 3rd Nat'l Championship in last 5 yrs

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/congrats-to-oklahoma-state-for-winning-the-2018-meat-judging-championship

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.39.04 AM

Sometimes the internet surprises me. On Friday, I stumbled across an article about Oklahoma State’s meat judging team. It couldn’t be true, right?! A meat judging team? I thought it was one of those Onion articles, so I just forgot about it. Then, during the Oklahoma State-West Virginia game, the graphic above popped up. It was true. Not only does Oklahoma State have a meat judging team, but they are national champions:

SOURCE-The 2018 Oklahoma State University Meat Judging Team were named National Champions at the International Meat Judging Competition. This marks the 19thNational Championship for OSU, which is the most of any university. This also marks the 3rd National Championship in the last 5 years for the Cowboys. The team also won the beef grading, total beef, and specification (with a perfect score) divisions.

3rd national championship in the last 5 years! A meat judging DYNASTY!

00273_OSUMeatJudgingTeam2018NatlChamps

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Stop, just stop. Texas did not seriously go after Tadlock, he had a no-compete clause in his contract. He did what every big name coach does when the Texas job comes open, throw my hat in there and get a raise, if his agent hadn't done that then his agent would have been a dumb ass.

Congratulations, you held onto a lifer that played at Tech who wasn't a serious candidate for the job.

Tech only has 6 more national titles and 33 more CWS appearances to go.

If that makes you feel better. 

http://1340thefan.com/texas-longhorns-set-their-sights-on-texas-techs-tim-tadlock/

"In May, he agreed to a six-year contract extension with Texas Tech that includes a non-compete clauseHowever, the contract extension doesn't take effect until July 1, potentially giving Tadlock two-and-a-half days to leave the Red Raiders without penalty. https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/747842986554204160"

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I believe that too, but without some donors stepping up to the plate to pay the buyout directly you also have a cash flow problem.  I'm not sure what the average market for UT tickets was in top 25 type season for barnes but let's play some math games...

Your new stadium is going to be 9000 seats.  If the average ticket spends $50 on admission and on merch/food and you have 17 home games a year give or take a game.  That's only $7.65mm a year.  That is selling out every game and that doesn't include the cost of anything or anyone in the arena.  I'm not an AD finance guy but even if you had a 20% profit margin then your entire season would effectively pay off 11% of the buyout.  So even projecting that forward it would be a 10 year investment to pay off Shaka.  That is a fucking load and would essentially make your basketball program a loser on the balance sheet for a decade.  In my opinion those conditions are pretty ideal too.  That also doesn't account for a new coach's salary.

I wasn't aware that basketball revenues are limited to ticket sales.

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

If that makes you feel better. 

http://1340thefan.com/texas-longhorns-set-their-sights-on-texas-techs-tim-tadlock/

"In May, he agreed to a six-year contract extension with Texas Tech that includes a non-compete clauseHowever, the contract extension doesn't take effect until July 1, potentially giving Tadlock two-and-a-half days to leave the Red Raiders without penalty. https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/747842986554204160"

Kevin O'Sullivan got a raise and extension, so did Jim Schlossnagle, so did Dan McDonnell. Just do a quick google search and you'll see that most guys that got extensions and raises just so happen to be conveniently linked to the Texas job. Good on those guys agents for doing their job.

You're the only one fooling yourself. Are all those guys really good coaches? Yes they are. The idea that Texas went after all of them is just the narrative opposing schools use to make themselves feel better when they ante up and pay their coach to stay when they really weren't endanger of losing them. Those coaches simply used the job to get better contracts and a better commitment to baseball by their programs.

I do believe their was real interest between Texas and O'Sullivan because Florida wouldn't pay him and neglected baseball to an extent. He went from making 665,000 a year including bonuses to 1.25 million a year. More power to him.

What I do know is y'all are paying $1 million for Tadlock and we are paying $792,000 for Pierce, who will likely get a raise once we get the basketball program settled down. I think we know who is getting more bang for their buck as both have accomplished the exact same the last 2 years and Pierce did it taking over a team that was 25-32 the previous season before he got there and was 4 games under .500 combined during the previous 2 seasons before his arrival.

Now back to basketball, no I do not think we will get Chris Beard. He hasn't been on the Texas campus since '95 and has spent a total of 13 seasons of his coaching career at Tech. He seems like he is where he wants to be, he can achieve just about everything he wants at Tech without the pressure to produce a winner every single season.

Edited by chase25
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

So you're acknowledging the non-compete clause excuse is bullshit? 

No, he had a non-compete clause in a contract extension that was announced May 19th of 2016. Texas Tech didn't finish playing until June 23rd. So unless he was going to leave his Alma mater that he just took to Omaha, and who he just signed a contract extension with, in the span of 8 days, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Texas did not realistically pursue him and he did not have much interest in Texas. In other words, no offer was extended in large part because he had a non-compete clause that was going to take effect July 1st. By that time the CWS was just ending on June 30th.

If Kirk Bohls tweets right now "Man I would love for Texas to hire Nick Saban", doesn't mean anything in regards to who is actually being vetted for the job and who has actually been extended an offer whether that be publicly or behind closed doors. The fact that you sourced a Kirk Bohls tweet for any news regarding Texas sports shows just how little you know or follow Texas sports, not that I expect you to because you are a Tech fan.

Edited by chase25

48 minutes ago, chase25 said:

No, he had a non-compete clause in a contract extension that was announced May 19th of 2016. Texas Tech didn't finish playing until June 23rd. So unless he was going to leave his Alma mater that he just took to Omaha, and who he just signed a contract extension with, in the span of 8 days, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Texas did not realistically pursue him and he did not have much interest in Texas. In other words, no offer was extended in large part because he had a non-compete clause that was going to take effect July 1st. By that time the CWS was just ending on June 30th.

If Kirk Bohls tweet right now "Man I would love for Texas to hire Nick Saban", doesn't mean anything in regards to who is actually being vetted for the job and who has actually been extended an offer whether that be publicly or behind closed doors. The fact that you sourced a Kirk Bohls tweet for any news regarding Texas sports shows just how little you know or follow Texas sports, not that I expect you to because you are a Tech fan.

Your theories are about as plausible as Bohls's tweets, and while he may have had some inside knowledge, you undoubtedly have none.  You think coaches never leave jobs right after really successful seasons have just ended?  Really?  You think coaches never leave coaching at their alma maters for greener pastures?  Ever heard of Rich Rodriguez?  Tadlock could have left if he wanted to; he didn't.  No one would have been shocked if he took the UT job then, outside of maybe some Tech fans.  We're talking about the most prestigious and storied program in college baseball, are we not?

Whether or not Tadlock had any serious interest in UT doesn't matter anyway, as the discussion here is, "can UT get any coach from Tech they want?"  The question is, did UT have interest in him?  Certainly, no one seemed to think the idea of UT hiring him away as of late June 2016 was improbable at the time, and all the info you just cited was all publicly known at that point.

Edited by Dirk X West

3 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Your theories are about as plausible as Bohls's tweets, and while he may have had some inside knowledge, you undoubtedly have none.  You think coaches never leave jobs right after really successful seasons have just ended?  Really?  You think coaches never leave coaching at their alma maters for greener pastures?  Ever heard of Rich Rodriguez?  Tadlock could have left if he wanted to; he didn't.  No one would have been shocked if he took the UT job then, outside of maybe some Tech fans.  We're talking about the most prestigious and storied program in college baseball, are we not?

Whether or not Tadlock had any serious interest in UT doesn't matter anyway, as the discussion here is, "can UT get any coach from Tech they want?"  The question is, did UT have interest in him?  Certainly, no one seemed to think the idea of UT hiring him away as of late June 2016 was improbable at the time, and all the info you just cited was all publicly known at that point.

Ok, you win, you pulled one over on big bad Texas, put it on your stadium.

Texas hired David Pierce July 1st, I'm 99% sure Texas in the span of 8 days was not able to contact all those coaches associated with the job. We had interest in a lot of guys and settled on a guy who had a better track record than Tadlock. It really isn't that hard to understand. What I'm telling you is that the interest from Texas was minimal and nobody around Austin gives two shits about what Kirk Bohl's wants or reports. The guy is as dead to Texas sports as Chip Brown.

I didn't say they never leave their Alma mater but comparing Football to any other sport is asinine. There is a drastic difference between leaving 10-2 West Virginia where you will never win a national title to take over a 9-4 Michigan team, and leaving Tech in baseball (where you graduated and just took to Omaha for the very first time) to go to Texas coming off a 25-32 season while having to follow up arguably the greatest college baseball manager the game has ever seen. Texas is the most storied baseball program in college baseball, that being said the game has changed and other schools around the country take baseball just as seriously now as Texas always had. We are no longer the Jones' in baseball we are simply one of the Jones'. You can win just about anywhere in the country in college baseball. Stony Brook, UCSB, Long Beach State, etc... have all been able to make it to the CWS. Coastal Carolina just won a national title... Coastal Carolina.. Rice has won a national title, Fresno State has won a title, Cal State Fullerton (who Augie took from rumble and turned into a juggernaut), Pepperdine, the list goes on.

I don't know about you but I don't see UTEP and New Mexico State making the CFP any time soon. There is way more parody in baseball and basketball than in football. I never said Texas could get any coach it wanted, somebody else may have said that. I was simply responding to your comment that insinuated Texas pushed their chips all in on Tadlock and he said thanks but no thanks. If you want to believe that then so be it.

Congrats on having two good coaches in Beard and Tadlock.

2 hours ago, chase25 said:

Now back to basketball, no I do not think we will get Chris Beard. He hasn't been on the Texas campus since '95 and has spent a total of 13 seasons of his coaching career at Tech. He seems like he is where he wants to be, he can achieve just about everything he wants at Tech without the pressure to produce a winner every single season.

It's cute when you pretend to be a blue blood basketball program.

Also damn dude you take yourself way too seriously:

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Ok, you win, you pulled one over on big bad Texas, put it on your stadium.

...words...

Congrats on having two good coaches in Beard and Tadlock.

Edited by Brian Fantana

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic