Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I don’t even know why I watch this Shaka led team anymore, seeing them down by 12 with 8 minutes to go come down court and go to a slowed down pass the ball 8 times then launch up a prayer without their feet set, or pass up open looks just to get the prerequisite # of passes is just beyond insane. I know we dont want to launch a premature 3, but why pass the ball all that much being down by so many points with no sense of urgency, and then launch a prayer because the clock wound down. I feel like I am the only one taking crazy pills.

Drive to the basket and create some open looks, it’s not that hard, we have some athletes on this team I know it’s void of elite talent but dang he can’t coach.

Edited by 2inDaPink1inDaStink

I love how the Shaka apologists say that the miserable shooting is the players fault and has nothing to do with Shaka. If only coaches could help players shoot better thru teaching, coaching and instruction. But nope that never happens. Eye roll.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

What's up with Texas Basketball? 

It's being lead by the worst coach in the history of the program, and a few people knew he was this bad after 11-22, but some you dumb fucks kept making excuses for him.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh my God. Texas has 32 points 29 minutes into the game?

And I was half fooled that Shaka had figured something out. And OSU is 6-8.... yikes.

You are falling for Shaka's "me coach good, them play bad" bullshit. When our players knock down some open threes, Shaka is quick to tell us that the guys are finally doing what he tells them to do. When they don't, they're not. He's not lying, per se-- I think pretty much every coach either tells his guys to make shots or assumes they will try to do that without being explicitly told, but people responded with total credulity when we made half our threes against Purdue and Grand Canyon and Shaka said he'd tweaked something and bingo, we're a juggernaut.

I don't think you're one of those, but the whole thing is laughable. He doesn't have a clue how to build a team that plays reliably functional offense, and "make your shots" and "spread out on the break" are not brilliant coaching gambits.

32 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

You are falling for Shaka's "me coach good, them play bad" bullshit. When our players knock down some open threes, Shaka is quick to tell us that the guys are finally doing what he tells them to do. When they don't, they're not. He's not lying, per se-- I think pretty much every coach either tells his guys to make shots or assumes they will try to do that without being explicitly told, but people responded with total credulity when we made half our threes against Purdue and Grand Canyon and Shaka said he'd tweaked something and bingo, we're a juggernaut.

I don't think you're one of those, but the whole thing is laughable. He doesn't have a clue how to build a team that plays reliably functional offense, and "make your shots" and "spread out on the break" are not brilliant coaching gambits.

Oh I mostly just check scores and parse what y'all post on here. I was done giving a shit about his teams after the Nevada loss and don't feel particularly beholden to Texas basketball in general (if at all). 

I saw the 2 conference wins and thought maybe there was a shred of hope that he could turn things around and save face but that is clearly not happening. This season is painfully SSDD and I knew it would be in March. Since he's going to get bought out at some point anyway you might as well have cut the cord after another first-round exit. The only reason it didn't happen was probably because of his contract. 

The wasting of elite NBA prospects is just getting to be comical. Can't wait to watch Hayes put up 11 and 6 as a rookie in the NBA after Shaka flames this team out going 7-11 in conference and missing the tourney (and this is sarcasm - I'm by no means cheering against the guy - just stenciling the writing on the wall). 

Edited by ztejas

13 hours ago, TexasMan said:

That seems concerning 

I wonder if Roach was taking s shot at Shaka here?  It got me thinking about last year, when Bamba had to ask to be coached harder.  

Maybe Roach is fed up with Shaka’s soft, kumbaya, guidance counselor bullshit.

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Is it really a system? Because it just feels like we just shoot from the perimeter because we cannot manage to do anything else.

This is what I noticed in the 5 minutes I watched.  You guys just pass it around the outside, maybe drive to the FT line but then kick.  Maybe take a few steps in but back out, pass more, late shot without any real chance at an open shot.... Unless DO gets it.  He's wayyyy to confident in his abilities.

It appears that Ramey has the highest career 3P% (on only 44 attempts, so this stat doesn't mean much) on the team at 34.1%.  Is that right?  What is the deal with our lack of outside shooters?  Did we miss on some guys or what?

Edit:  It looks like Mitrou-Long may be a little better than Ramey, but still...

Edited by Fozzz

51 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is what I noticed in the last 4 years I watched.  You guys just pass it around the outside, maybe drive to the FT line but then kick.  Maybe take a few steps in but back out, pass more, late shot without any real chance at an open shot.... Unless DO gets it.  He's wayyyy to confident in his abilities.

Fixed. Shaka claims to change/innovate parts of the offense every year, but it's the same damn thing over and over regardless of personnel. In fact, usually the freshman look promising but by the second year, Shaka's beaten any aggressiveness or will to drive out of them. 

Can anyone name a single player that Shaka's developed during his time here? I can't think of a single guy who has actually improved  as he spends more time in the program. 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Fixed. Shaka claims to change/innovate parts of the offense every year, but it's the same damn thing over and over regardless of personnel. In fact, usually the freshman look promising but by the second year, Shaka's beaten any aggressiveness or will to drive out of them. 

Can anyone name a single player that Shaka's developed during his time here? I can't think of a single guy who has actually improved  as he spends more time in the program. 

DO is somehow more confident than ever.

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The 5* / borderline guys like Allen, Bamba, and Jones (pre-diagnosis) did.

We've seen other guys improve, but it's unclear how much of that was the result of normal physical maturation and experience.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The 5* / borderline guys like Allen, Bamba, and Jones (pre-diagnosis) did.

We've seen other guys improve, but it's unclear how much of that was the result of normal physical maturation and experience.

I suppose but you could say the same for Sims last year and look at what Sims turned into with a full offseason. 

I guess Roach would be the guy but he’s getting benched and DNP’d in his senior year.

you would think that a guy who is so good at coaching defense yet so bad at coaching offense would really emphasize/know how to coach rebounding, but holy crap have we been underwhelming in that department under Shaka despite having a procession of elite big men come through the program. And considering the amount of turnover on his coaching roster, i find it hard to believe that he never once went and got a guy who could teach rebounding. Rebounding is a combination of tactics, instinct, and skill, and you can teach two of those three. we just apparently don't. if you can't shoot and you can't rebound, then how exactly are you supposed to win in the Big XII?

Edited by Goo Punch

a name that i threw out on the "shaka by the numbers" thread is NC State's Kevin Keatts. He certainly could be another Shaka, but he could also be an up and coming Rick Pitino disciple who really knows how to coach- he's worth keeping an eye on. He was an assistant at Louisville when they went to back to back Final Fours including winning it all in 2013 (which of course now officially never happened), and all he's done as a head coach is go 72-28 at UNC-Wilmington (three conference titles in three years including his first year when his team wasn't any good, plus two conference tourney titles), and he's currently 34-14 at NC State where they are #13 nationally in AdjO. His 2017 UNC-Wilmington team was #19 in AdjO as well. I admit I have no idea how dirty he may be, and the Pitino stink is probably hard to wash off, but he sure seems like he knows how to coach. 

50 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

a name that i threw out on the "shaka by the numbers" thread is NC State's Kevin Keatts. He certainly could be another Shaka, but he could also be an up and coming Rick Pitino disciple who really knows how to coach- he's worth keeping an eye on. He was an assistant at Louisville when they went to back to back Final Fours including winning it all in 2013 (which of course now officially never happened), and all he's done as a head coach is go 72-28 at UNC-Wilmington (three conference titles in three years including his first year when his team wasn't any good, plus two conference tourney titles), and he's currently 34-14 at NC State where they are #13 nationally in AdjO. His 2017 UNC-Wilmington team was #19 in AdjO as well. I admit I have no idea how dirty he may be, and the Pitino stink is probably hard to wash off, but he sure seems like he knows how to coach. 

I'm all for hiring Keatts.  I like the intensity his teams play with.  Also, as an added bonus--NC State would go after Barnes and he may leave to be home and play in the ACC again.  Maybe Tennesse would look to hire another UT coach.  And I would laugh my ass off. 

59 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

If you're chasing disciples you should look a couple hundred miles north. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm a believer in Keatts right now although I think he is basically from ACC country so not sure if Texas would interest him much.  I was very impressed with last year because a lot of the ACC predictions for his team were worse than 10-12th in the league and most basically in the bottom tier of the league (one main one I read regularly I recall had them predicted for 13th) and he got them to 3rd (and think about how strong the ACC is even in the 4-7 range) and beat some really good teams - Duke, at UNC, Arizona (neutral) - and this replicated his first year at another new program at UNC-Wilmington where his team was not projected to be a contender and he tied for 1st and he exceeded his given talent in my opinion.  The prior two years to his arrival at NC State finished 13th in the ACC so it was an immediate turnaround.  Two different programs with great first years as the coach.  Now this year his team is predicted roughly 5-7 or so in the league by a lot of people, and part of that (I am not convinced they are 5th-6th best in talent) is from last year.  Curious to see how it goes this year for them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Fickle Fans

You guys bitch and moan and want to fire the coach after every loss. Let the season play out first

his entire career has played out and has proven irrevocably that he vastly underperforms with the talent he recruits. he was a subpar coach for six years at VCU and he's been a downright terrible coach for the last three years at Texas. we don't need to let anything else play out. troll.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Fickle Fans

You guys bitch and moan and want to fire the coach after every loss. Let the season play out first

Please.  A lot of us came to our conclusion after much more than one game.  100+ games in fact.  15 more games of evaluation are not needed.  

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

his entire career has played out and has proven irrevocably that he vastly underperforms with the talent he recruits. he was a subpar coach for six years at VCU and he's been a downright terrible coach for the last three years at Texas. we don't need to let anything else play out. troll.

He was a sub par coach who got to the final four with a mid major team so STFU.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Please.  A lot of us came to our conclusion after much more than one game.  100+ games in fact.  15 more games of evaluation are not needed.  

Yeah. This is like the end of a relationship where the only thing holding it together is sex. Both people are checked out. You fight all the time. You don't even really like each other. But you fuck just enough to keep yourself from ripping the band-aid off.

Unfortunately, at this point, the sex isn't even that good and it's become too infrequent. Time to move on Horns. Better start a slush fund.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He was a sub par coach who got to the final four with a mid major team so STFU.

A team that never should have made the NCAA tournament to begin with. Virginia Commonwealth's entry into that tourney was universally proclaimed as a farce. The fact that he had a team that was capable of going to the final four, yet couldn't finish better than 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association and couldn't win their conference tourney speaks volumes, and everything he's done since then has only confirmed that he is a subpar coach. So you go ahead and STFU and GTFO. You guys were all crying and consoling each other when he left; well now you can go ahead and have him back. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Start with Steve Patterson.  Make sure to let him know he’s a fucking moron, too.

Gladly. Fuck that stupid motherfucker. How can one man make so many shit hires? How incompetent do you have to be? Is that regard still employed by anyone? He's not even qualified to run the snack counter at a 7-11

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. This is like the end of a relationship where the only thing holding it together is sex. Both people are checked out. You fight all the time. You don't even really like each other. But you fuck just enough to keep yourself from ripping the band-aid off.

Unfortunately, at this point, the sex isn't even that good and it's become too infrequent. Time to move on Horns. Better start a slush fund.

Fuck that hit close to home. 

14 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

A team that never should have made the NCAA tournament to begin with. Virginia Commonwealth's entry into that tourney was universally proclaimed as a farce. The fact that he had a team that was capable of going to the final four, yet couldn't finish better than 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association and couldn't win their conference tourney speaks volumes, and everything he's done since then has only confirmed that he is a subpar coach. So you go ahead and STFU and GTFO. You guys were all crying and consoling each other when he left; well now you can go ahead and have him back. 

This is all fact. It is kind of amazing to ponder what would have happened with Shaka if that team went to the NIT like it should have. Or even if they had lost the S16 game to 10 seed FSU, instead of winning by 1 point in OT. 

That VCU team went 3-5 in its last 8 reg season games in a mid-major conference, including a loss to 11-20 Northeastern, got the 4 seed and lost the final. That 4th place mid-major finish was backed up by a 10-4 OOC mark with losses to South Florida, UAB, and Richmond, and the only P5 win was over an 8-24 Wake Forest team (they did defeat eventual NIT champ Wichita St in the BracketBuster event). They played a whopping 2 teams that were ranked at the time during the entire season, losing to #24 Tennessee (they finished 19-15 so not even a legit Top 25 team) and beating #25 George Mason in the conference tourney semis.

Absolutely without question the worst resume of any at-large in NCAAT history.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

This is all fact. It is kind of amazing to ponder what would have happened with Shaka if that team went to the NIT like it should have. Or even if they had lost the S16 game to 10 seed FSU, instead of winning by 1 point in OT. 

That VCU team went 3-5 in its last 8 reg season games in a mid-major conference, including a loss to 11-20 Northeastern, got the 4 seed and lost the final. That 4th place mid-major finish was backed up by a 10-4 OOC mark with losses to South Florida, UAB, and Richmond, and the only P5 win was over an 8-24 Wake Forest team (they did defeat eventual NIT champ Wichita St in the BracketBuster event). They played a whopping 2 teams that were ranked at the time during the entire season, losing to #24 Tennessee (they finished 19-15 so not even a legit Top 25 team) and beating #25 George Mason in the conference tourney semis.

Absolutely without question the worst resume of any at-large in NCAAT history.

Having watched the entire season from the stands. I saw the melt down at the end off the season by a very seasoned team, they'd played together 4 years.  The let down was strange because they just seemed to completely go dead, and lost their rhythm.  

That team beat all the teams they played in the NCAA going away except FSU I believe. They beat Kansas, and beat them going away.  They definitely got a very fortunate nod by the NCAA, and if they'd not gone I would have been fine with it. They did however, and just missed the national championship game by inches against a really good Butler team.  Some folks on the committee thought they could play...  

(rolling)  but I know everyone here is a better judge of the game though....(eyes).

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic