Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think the elephant in the room is that Texas' roster kind of... sucks?

Shaka's coaching has been poor. No doubt. But this just isn't a roster capable of anything more than an overachieving first round tournament win. You aren't fixing shit by playing player A over player B because neither of them are any good.

UT is going to waste Hayes just like they wasted Turner, Allen and Bamba. 

Until you start recruiting actual basketball players instead of project athletes from the wrong side of the metroplex or Houston this program is going to be bathed in mediocrity and awful losses.

I know I made this point some posts ago, but what led Texas to great results under Barnes was NOT the 4 and 5 star one and dones. It was the gritty, high BBIQ upperclassmen that had their livelihoods riding on showing out in college. 

As great as Hayes is it doesn't matter if Texas goes 0-30 or 30-0. He will get paid either way. You need to surround those kids with tweeners that can't leave after one season that will say "hey, motherfucker, you better bust your ass on this next possession". Nova absolutely crushed college basketball last season with a roster chock full of those players.

Shaka hasn't recruited or developed ANY of those players. It's just a bunch of slapdicks playing hot potato more worried about their instagram DMs, new KDs and next tattoo. 

I mean, what in the motherfuck is this shit?

The fact that they just easily got to the rim snd scored... wow. Embarrassing. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What is your point?

I was addressing this:

As great as Hayes is it doesn't matter if Texas goes 0-30 or 30-0. He will get paid either way. You need to surround those kids with tweeners that can't leave after one season that will say "hey, motherfucker, you better bust your ass on this next possession". Nova absolutely crushed college basketball last season with a roster chock full of those players.

Shaka's probably didn't anticipate Hayes becoming a cornerstone of this team this quickly.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I was addressing this:

Shaka's probably didn't anticipate Hayes becoming a cornerstone of this team this quickly.

Sure, that doesn't change what I'm saying about surrounding phenoms with tweeners and future Euro journeymen that can shoot, play D and have high IQ.

Texas has ZERO of those players right now. DO was touted as one but unfortunately he sucks.

3 hours ago, SDG said:

Is anyone left on the Shaka train or was I the last to jump ship?  

I forgot we even had a game last night until 10:30. I checked the score, thought "that figures" and went on with my night.  I typically watch every game.  

This brand of basketball is shit. So done with Shaka. This guy is desperate for his team to win, but he doesn’t know how to coach them to do so. Nor apparently does he understand he needs shooters. Instead he grasps for glimmers of hope with the bull shit slapping the floor. I’ll watch some conference games, but I’m not gonna be sad if I miss some here and there.

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm sure there are a few crazies left (there always are), but for the most part no.  

Now the debate has shifted from whether he should be fired to when he will be fired.  

there are more than you think, but they are out of ways of overtly saying "one more year, two more years" and instead are focusing on Smart's buyout as though it comes out of their pocket personally

Edited by SwanderedTalent

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

To be fair, most people did not envision Hayes becoming a potential 1-and-done when he signed.

Exactly, most people were predicting he’d play less than Hepa this year. He was outside the top 100 in recruiting rankings and had to leap frog in his final year to even get to that point. Thank God he’s been as good as he has or else we’d have a few more losses on our ledger. 

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Can the next coach have at least a record of sustained success at the major college level before giving him a 6 year, 20M guaranteed contract please?  Thanks.  

Texas isn’t very smart but they can get away with it because they are a cash cow.  

8 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Texas isn’t very smart but they can get away with it because they are a cash cow.  

Not in basketball they aren't.

I mean obviously football makes up for it but that buyout is going to sting. Prob wipe a year away of bball revenue.

2016-

3P%- .292%, 345th in the country 

2P%- .513%, 107th

FG%- .439, 207th

FT%- .650%, 326th

PPG- 67.1, 302nd

2017-

3P%- .320%, 321st

2P%- .512%, 141st

FG%- .439%, 212th

FT%- .665%, 317th

PPG- 72.1, 222nd

2018-

3P%- .322%, 259th

2P%- .511%, 197th

FG%- .426%, 271st

FT%- .665%, 271st

PPG- 73.9, 191st

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

2016-

3P%- .292%, 345th in the country 

2P%- .513%, 107th

FG%- .439, 207th

FT%- .650%, 326th

PPG- 67.1, 302nd

2017-

3P%- .320%, 321st

2P%- .512%, 141st

FG%- .439%, 212th

FT%- .665%, 317th

PPG- 72.1, 222nd

2018-

3P%- .322%, 259th

2P%- .511%, 197th

FG%- .426%, 271st

FT%- .665%, 271st

PPG- 73.9, 191st

Almost made it in the Top 100 in one category one year.

2018 didn't have one category outside the Top 300, so there's that.

I remember how the Longhorn Network paid for a super plushy Nintendo luxury playhouse room for our basketball team and how great our facilities were now so all our sports were gonna improve and then they ALL got lazy and terrible and the baseball tesmt could not hit and the football team could not beat Kansas and the basketball team was the worst in the B12 and we are crawling out of that but basketball is still atrocious.

Didn't UT-Arlington beat us last year...at home...by a lot?

Thankfully, there's some pretty shitty teams in the league this year.  It shouldn't be hard to stay out of the cellar.  We're gonna scrape 8 wins or so together, finish around 7th, and then hope our strong SOS gets us a play-in game #11 seed.  We're one-and-done-Dayton.

Or we make a solid run in the NIT.  

I love the guy, but this is just getting ugly to watch.  When you read del Conte's interview about the new area and how "deeply involved Shaka and Karen" are in the process, you can literally feel the bullshit seeping off the page.  Shake won't be here when that thing is opened up in 2021.  

Lol, you chicken-littles are hilarious. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

I have no explanation for this last game, other than some kind of final power struggle between the coaches, snoop, whoever elese, to try to settle something before the end of the year and conference play. But this is a solid tournament seed, not a bubble team, and this is not even close to an NIT team.

Ya'll can go into this "worst coach EVAR" routine if we're halfway through conference play and sitting in the bottom half of the league. But right now, there's still way too much season to play and too much talent on the roster to count out Shaka or the 2018 Longhorns.

Merry Christmas y'all glorious haters.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Fuck You 12

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

Lol, you chicken-littles are hilarious. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

I have no explanation for this last game, other than some kind of final power struggle between the coaches, snoop, whoever elese, to try to settle something before the end of the year and conference play. But this is a solid tournament seed, not a bubble team, and this is not even close to an NIT team.

Ya'll can go into this "worst coach EVAR" routine if we're halfway through conference play and sitting in the bottom half of the league. But right now, there's still way too much season to play and too much talent on the roster to count out Shaka or the 2018 Longhorns.

I'm not even a UT fan, and I had to neg this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

Yeah, I hate shitty basketball. Color me weird

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic