Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Did you not post this last week?

Im pretty sure we were under .500 in conference in the 3 years before Shaka got here and that was without a cancer stricken guard, and losing arguably our best player in everyone of those 3 years. Just providing context before the neg storm.

Yeah that's a strident defense. 

So is this I guess:

Not just flawed shooting, but nothing is ever earnestly done to attempt to get easy shots. Shit I'd be happy with a post to post screen on the low block or even a simple ass flex offensive set every now and then.

My biggest problem with Shaka is there seems to be a hella lot of give up in him. Whether it be the end of the Duke game last year when he inexplicably looked at both Banks and Hamm sitting on the bench and effectively waived the white flag as he chose Eric Fucking Davis to join Dylan in the front court to match up against Wendall Carter and Marvin Bagley. Or whether it be the last 10 minutes against Michigan State this year or even Radford, at a certain point you just gotta quit banging your head against the wall jacking 3s every other time down the court. You show some actual urgency and fight. At a certain point it becomes time to football the game up and go straight to the rim and crash the boards with everything you got like you want to fucking win. There's absolutely no fight in Shaka and it's exemplified in his teams. Say what you want about Barnes but his team's never had this amount of sheer give up in them. As Febres missed his last 3 against Radford in the waiting seconds there wasn't one Longhorn in the vicinity to come close to coming down with the offensive board. That's simply indefensible.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Worst two Texas Basketball games in the last 50 years..... Never thought that I would see BBall coaching at Texas worse than Leon Black's again...

Not fair. My dad played for him, but never got more than a few minutes  in the games, so? But also he could score. Shaka wouldn’t have liked him either.

barring a top 3 conference finish, it’s over. It’s embarrassing to watch and amazing at the same time that our staff does nothing to correct any of it. There is way too much at stake here to let another few million give him another year. 

Also Fireman’s posts are worse than Derka and ztejas combined. And Derka has been spot on for the last year or so.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The only people defending this clown at this point are those like you that only care about the color of his skin.  Same as Charlie post Kansas.  

He fucking has earned an F and it’s season four.  

I wanted Barnes fired bad.  And Smart makes Barnes look like John Wooden.  

That’s not what he was saying in his comment at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, immortal13 said:

No it didn't match the discussion. The comment I made was tongue in cheek

Because when I made the wager, you had declared that you were just joking, right?

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I do not understand these people who maintained coming into this season that they were high on Shaka Smart. The amount of facts, stats, and anecdotal evidence that I personally have posted about Shaka's entire HC career on shaggy and now surly is overwhelming. There are two types of people in these scenarios: those who look objectively at the body of work and let that tell the story, and those who only look for things which reinforce what they already believe/want to believe.

The body of work has screamed that 2011 was lightning in a bottle, and that Shaka Smart has never been good enough to take over a program with Final 4 aspirations. Year after year after year after year of facts, and film, and data, a all empirically proving that Shaka Smart is nowhere near an upper tier coach, and yet scores of people have steadfastly contended that Shaka was going to take the next step at Texas, never mind the fact that he's been worse than Tom Penders, who himself was several steps behind Rick Barnes.

Why? Seriously- why? All of the evidence has always shown that Shaka's teams are poorly coached. Does everyone not remember 2011? VCU's admission into the tournament was decried as a travesty, and the consensus was that it was the most egregious entry into the tourney in a long time- arguably ever. And the rest of his resume at VCU is objectively worse than most if not all of his contemporaries at the school. Then he comes to Texas and has the team consistently ranked in the 200's and 300's in most major statistical categories, and people *still* believe that he's going to take Texas to the next level? You're mad.

Whats worse is that so many of the Shaka sycophants have been so goddamn holier than thou over the years. Where they at now? Why aren't they suffering in the game threads with the rest of us? Where'd they all go?

This is actually quite common among sports fans.  They want their team to be good so badly that they overlook/dismiss objective evidence that indicates otherwise, no matter how overwhelming it is.  The exact same thing happened with Strong.  

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He extended Shaka for a year needlessly, based on no evidence that he was the long term answer.  He's primarily responsible for the buyout being $3M higher than it should be.

^This.

There's zero chance I will ever be a big cigar donor, but if I were, I'd have a hard time opening the checkbook to our clown show of an athletic department over the last decade, CDC notwithstanding.  "See Bob, we need about $5 mil from you to fix our last fuckup, another $3 mil for the one before that, and another $5 mil for the new guy we're targeting that we promise this time is super duper the right guy."  Uh huh.  

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Worst two Texas Basketball games in the last 50 years..... Never thought that I would see BBall coaching at Texas worse than Leon Black's again...

And they were Back-To- Back Home Games against Radford &VCU???

giphy.gif

WTF ???

/giphy.gif

Don't mess with Virginia ?

The complete lack of confidence by Roach and Osetkowski was startling.  Box score only shows 3 TO's by DO, but someone must have hedged the numbers, because he had four in a row in a key stretch of the game.  When it's the two seniors who are the better players on the team and have no confidence, then you've got to look in the coach's direction. 

Sims, Hayes and Coleman did ok last night, but VCU got offensive rebounds every time that Sims and Hayes went for a block.  I like the way Hepa on offense is always in attack stance, but he needs to improve his footspeed on defense and coaches need to line him up on someone who is as slow as he is. 

Ramey had such confidence in his shot and game at the beginning of the year and against decent defensive teams like Arkansas.  I wonder if the coaching staff has coached that out of him.  Will have to see if he has bounce-back games.  

What this team needs is someone with the character of TJ Ford who will tell the coaches to back off.  

Shaka should be gone at the end of the year, but buyouts may keep him on the floor. 

• Like 1

Question.   I know the product so far is kind of shitty.  But dang the Erwin looked very empty with the limited crowd shots last night on ESPN.

Is it really that bad in person?   

I guess I really haven't paid attention in years past, but are these non conference games usually like this as far as attendance?    I know the UNC's, etc pretty much sell out as I went to the UNC game in 2015.  But I would have expected more in attendance for last night's game than what was shown on TV.

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Question.   I know the product so far is kind of shitty.  But dang the Erwin looked very empty with the limited crowd shots last night on ESPN.

I guess I really haven't paid attention in years past, but are these non conference games usually like this as far as attendance?    I know the UNC's, etc pretty much sell out as I went to the UNC game in 2015.  But I would have expected more in attendance for last night's game than what was shown on TV.

I think you just answered your own question when you said, "I guess I really haven't paid attention."

9 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah, every black guy ever hired for anything was hired solely because he's black. 

Sure there you are going digital when its analog.

we didn't hire him specifically because he's black. he was probably in the top 5 that were really available, but you can't say that UT/Patterson didn't have an agenda at that time and I am sure it played a role.  I'd take Mike Anderson right now, at least the guy has a history of leading multiple schools past the first round over his career.  I'd take Leonard Hamilton. 

We look like a complete dumpster fire because the guy we hired decided to change his entire coaching style after we hired him.  thats on Patterson.

I wish it had worked out because I want Texas to win regardless of the color of its coaches skin but it is obvious he wasn't ready.  I'm at a loss of why his teams are such poor shooters.  ti might be because he has trouble teaching an offense he really doesn't know to the players and they start over thinking everything.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Sure there you are going digital when its analog.

we didn't hire him specifically because he's black. he was probably in the top 5 that were really available, but you can't say that UT/Patterson didn't have an agenda at that time and I am sure it played a role.  I'd take Mike Anderson right now, at least the guy has a history of leading multiple schools past the first round over his career.  I'd take Leonard Hamilton. 

We look like a complete dumpster fire because the guy we hired decided to change his entire coaching style after we hired him.  thats on Patterson.

I wish it had worked out because I want Texas to win regardless of the color of its coaches skin but it is obvious he wasn't ready.  I'm at a loss of why his teams are such poor shooters.  ti might be because he has trouble teaching an offense he really doesn't know to the players and they start over thinking everything.

source.gif

26 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

When we are winning it is fun when we aren't it isn't. I was onboard the Shaka train but I am pretty much over it. 

• Like 1

He won't get fired mid season.  He should be but he won't.  Other than some kind of scandal causing it, I cannot recall a basketball coach from a high profile team getting fired mid season because he sucked. I'm sure the posters on Surly will remember me some if they're out there.

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

What's the best source for this Damn Shaka Contract??

Sorry for the delay.  Here is a link to the board of regents agenda.  Page 367 is where the details are.  Here is his yearly GUARANTEED salary:

2018-2019: $3.1mm

2019-2020: $3.2mm

2020-2021: $3.3mm

2021-2022: $3.4mm

2022-2023: $3.5mm (this number is based off multiple articles saying the terms of his agreement didn't change but one year was added so I assumed a $100k raise).

This calculus actually shows UT would owe more than $13mm on the contract.

PDF to Contract Details (original contract)

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Sorry for the delay.  Here is a link to the board of regents agenda.  Page 367 is where the details are.  Here is his yearly GUARANTEED salary:

2018-2019: $3.1mm

2019-2020: $3.2mm

2020-2021: $3.3mm

2021-2022: $3.4mm

2022-2023: $3.5mm (this number is based off multiple articles saying the terms of his agreement didn't change but one year was added so I assumed a $100k raise).

This calculus actually shows UT would owe more than $13mm on the contract.

PDF to Contract Details (original contract)

He's owed $16.5 million either way - whether in the form of salary or a buyout. And for the love of God stop using "mm". 

The $13.4 number is what the buyout would be after this season. 

Details aside - this has to be the worst contract in UT athletics history, right? I mean I can't believe Texas ever did anything this dumb at any point in the past. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He's owed $16.5 million either way - whether in the form of salary or a buyout. And for the love of God stop using "mm". 

The $13.4 number is what the buyout would be after this season. 

Details aside - this has to be the worst contract in UT athletics history, right? I mean I can't believe Texas ever did anything this dumb at any point in the past. 

At this point I use it just to piss you off.

giphy.gif

giphy1.gif?w=723

Edited by Jhawk

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

At this point I use it just to piss you off.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/2it4pX80AW8gg" width="480" height="264" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/kingpin-2it4pX80AW8gg">via GIPHY</a></p>

Right, because me and you are the only people on this board. 

But please, continue to be a dumb-ass at my expense. Everyone is having a great laugh. 

While you're at it, just throw out any grammar conventions you were ever taught. That'll really show me. 

Or wait, maybe you were trying to convey 3.1 mm which is probably the length of one of your body parts. 

Edited by ztejas

13 hours ago, clownin72 said:

Hopefully we get to see how big CDCs balls are at the end of the season since we don't fire coaches mid-season. This shit is an embarrassment to UT

I think the bigger embarrassment to UT at this point is that they signed him to so much guaranteed money.  Hence, they won’t own this mess until it becomes an unbearable stench that can’t be ignored.  Sort of like a dead body hidden inside the walls of a house,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Horn80 said:

I think the bigger embarrassment to UT at this point is that they signed him to so much guaranteed money.  Hence, they won’t own this mess until it becomes an unbearable stench that can’t be ignored.  Sort of like a dead body hidden inside the walls of a house,

This is our concern, Dude.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaka Smart coaching Texas next season.

• Like 1

I wonder what the record payout is for firing and then hiring a coach.  Has to be Weis at ND right?  They paid him $18.97mm and then paid $1mm to cincy for Kelly.  I can't find the numbers from his first ND deal but allegedly it was 6 years and $4mm per year.  So ND added about $44mm to their liabilities in that move.

Just found a rumor on beards buyout and it was 80% of remaining value.  After this season he will have 5 years $15.875mm left on his deal.  80% is $12.7mm.

So firing Shaka could cost up to $13.4mm.  Adding in Beard's buyout is $26.1mm.  Then let's say you give him a modest raise on a 6 year $3.5mm deal (I'm guessin git would be more like $4mm but let's play conservative). UT incurs $47.1mm of new liabilities.  Congrats you out money whipped ND and you didn't even do it in a massive revenue generator like football.... just basketball.

If those buyout numbers and contract requirements (the modest $375k raise) are even close to right then there isn't a chance in hell Beard is in Austin next year except for on the away team bench.

41 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The Tech fans think it's funny that we think Beard is a possibility.  Their admins made it hard and expensive to do.  Congratulations to them.

Hard, no. Expensive, yes. But we're Texas, not Tech.

If Texas wants Chris Beard, Texas will get Chris Beard.

Edited by David Dennison

UT got royally fucked by the interim AD.  I can't believe he was allowed to renegotiate this contract.  Chris Mack was the obvious answer and he was willing to move.  You could have easily justified a firing to hire him.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic