Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

33 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's cute when you pretend to be a blue blood basketball program.

Also damn dude you take yourself way too seriously:

We aren't a blue blood basketball program, but when Texas has 34 NCAA tournament appearances (Tech, 16), 25 conference titles (Tech, 11), 7 Elite 8s (Tech, 1), and a .620 all time win percentage to Tech's .560, I think it is safe to say Texas' expectations are just a wee bit higher than Texas Tech.

Texas recruits up there with Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, and Duke every year and we don't even accomplish half, hell not even a third (or insert underachievement comparison here) of what those programs do. If Texas got the right guy the program would take off. Rick did a lot of good things but getting bounced in the round of 32 with Kevin Durant is the epitome of underachievement. Texas just needs to find a coach whose nuts don't shrivel come tournament time.

• Like 1

Again, you clearly take yourself way too seriously and you clearly tie an unhealthy amount of your self worth to the prestige of your school's athletics. Nobody is trying to claim Tech is an elite program or that it has accomplished as much as Texas' has so just drop the persecution complex already. Beard is taking us in the right direction, that's all.

Side note...I personally kinda gave Barnes a pass for Durant's season because Durant was scrawny and not that good of a defender (I remember the _urant meme being pretty popular at the time) and that team only really had 2 other guys on it that could score and I'm pretty sure DJ Augustin was the only player in the team that knew how to pass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Again, you clearly take yourself way too seriously and you clearly tie an unhealthy amount of your self worth to the prestige of your school's athletics. Nobody is trying to claim Tech is an elite program or that it has accomplished as much as Texas' has so just drop the persecution complex already. Beard is taking us in the right direction, that's all.

Side note...I personally kinda gave Barnes a pass for Durant's season because Durant was scrawny and not that good of a defender (I remember the _urant meme being pretty popular at the time) and that team only really had 2 other guys on it that could score and I'm pretty sure DJ Augustin was the only player in the team that knew how to pass.

LOL, you are the only one that seems that perturbed. Simply stating a fact. You take politics too seriously on a message board, burn... Simply discussing and engaging in back and forth banter is the purpose of a message board. Step off the pedestal.

I don't tie any of my self worth into UT athletics but I can smell bullshit from a mile away and the narrative that Tadlock turned Texas down is as laughable as the idea that we are going to get Chris Beard.

Edited by chase25

13 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

That’s the only real connection to Beard for Texas fans, it’s a dumbass argument. He’s locked there but if it were solely a money issue, Texas would handle it. But who’s dropping that kind of money on a guy who isn’t elite at this stage of his career?

Not to quibble,  but actually Beard could be considered elite at this point in his career.

Winning % of coaches during first six years of NCAA career:

Roy Williams .779

Jim Boheim  .762

Chris Beard   .723

Bob Knight    .671

Dean Smith   .634

Bill Self          .560

Mike K.          .555

Jim Calhoun .540

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Okie Lite just won Title for 2018.... 3rd Nat'l Championship in last 5 yrs

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/congrats-to-oklahoma-state-for-winning-the-2018-meat-judging-championship

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.39.04 AM

Sometimes the internet surprises me. On Friday, I stumbled across an article about Oklahoma State’s meat judging team. It couldn’t be true, right?! A meat judging team? I thought it was one of those Onion articles, so I just forgot about it. Then, during the Oklahoma State-West Virginia game, the graphic above popped up. It was true. Not only does Oklahoma State have a meat judging team, but they are national champions:

SOURCE-The 2018 Oklahoma State University Meat Judging Team were named National Champions at the International Meat Judging Competition. This marks the 19thNational Championship for OSU, which is the most of any university. This also marks the 3rd National Championship in the last 5 years for the Cowboys. The team also won the beef grading, total beef, and specification (with a perfect score) divisions.

3rd national championship in the last 5 years! A meat judging DYNASTY!

00273_OSUMeatJudgingTeam2018NatlChamps

Front row far right would get it so hard and deep, whomever pulled me off would be crowned King, must be the glasses...  and the gams. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2018 at 9:47 PM, Machinator said:

Even Tim Preston has given up on Shaka. He's done. Waiting for @Bitterwhiteguy...

I talked to Tim after the VCU game and without trying to speak for him he hadn't given up on Shaka, but his questions/concerns are definitely mounting. As for me, I'm waiting until the season is over before saying much on the big picture stuff (there will probably be a BC post); at times like these I try to be deliberate with my posts and I don't want to overreact to a bad week in the same way many of my football brethren did after the Maryland loss this year. I will say that the Purdue game has taken on even more importance than it already had, and that Shaka's career arc at Texas could very well be determined by conference play this year.

• Like 1

That last game was as painful as watching those Duke beatdowns in the past... and we lost by just 1 point!  So many sloppy turnovers.  So much panick and confusion (from the top down). 

On a positive, Hayes is playing well.  Sims and Febres have shown some positive things.

Ramey started the loose and playing well and now seems to be confused.

Hepa is promising.  Good energy and outside shot.  Poor defender...really bad lateral movement and interior defense.  He needs to add a 2nd play to his offense so he's not so easy to defend/predict.  Pump and drive the lane... or roll hard to the basket every once in awhile after a screen.

DO is infuriating at times (more oft than not).  He can do some garbage work on both ends, but the offense should not run through him.  He needs less minutes and a very limited stand around and shoot long shots allowance. 

Roach needs to get back to driving the lane.  His game sense slips to junior high level for large chunks of each game.  He's not Steph Curry.  He's bad running the point.  He's an off ball guard.  His game is flying up and down the court, but when he gets the ball he slows things down and seems totally lost.  When he starts standing around and settling for the long three, we are sunk.

Roach and DO just aren't giving off the right energy or showing any leadership.  They have their tails between their legs and heads down when they should be encouraging the younger guys.  There is no confident, reliable, experienced presence on this team.  There is not guy you can rely upon to not turn the ball over and get a decent look and/or draw a foul in a tight situation.

Sadly, some of these earlier games were missed opportunities to see what Hamm and Liddell could offer, and really work on driving the lane and feeding the ball inside.  Instead, everyone except the Center was allowed to stand around outside and jack up 3 pointers at an alarming rather.  As Derka noted, it's sheer insanity to stress and/or allow the shooting of so many first option threes as part of the game plan when we shoot them so poorly.

We have no idea what to do on offense aside from the first option of a big setting a screen while everyone waits to shoot the 3.  There needs to be a lot of off ball movement and screening.  In the very least, that makes the opposition spend a little energy defending.

One of our staff needs to step up and instruct the players what to do when the opponent is aggressively over-hedging on our screens.  I hate seeing our screeners just standing at the 3 point line by the hedging defender and the ballhandler fighting backwards just to run the same damn thing over again.  Offensive schemes are drawn up with several options.  It seems like ours all include just one option and if that doesn't work, we run that same 1 option play over again before doing some panicked ad-lib Roach heave.

Every position is up for grabs essentially and minutes and the privilege of getting to start need to be earned at this point.  I think Hayes plays with the right fire in his belly.  Hepa tries.  Sims is coming on.  Coleman is showing a glimpse, but needs to get out of his slump. 

This team probably has < 5 sure wins left on the schedule and every other game is a coin flip at best.  Our home court is not exactly being defended and doesn't provide any advantage.

I have a bad feeling the team schleps its way to a 16 to 17 win season. I hope someone lights a fire and gets these guys playing hungrier and smarter so I can be proven wrong.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Not to quibble,  but actually Beard could be considered elite at this point in his career.

Winning % of coaches during first six years of NCAA career:

Roy Williams .779

Jim Boheim  .762

Chris Beard   .723

Bob Knight    .671

Dean Smith   .634

Bill Self          .560

Mike K.          .555

Jim Calhoun .540

You seem smart

9 hours ago, chase25 said:

We aren't a blue blood basketball program, but when Texas has 34 NCAA tournament appearances (Tech, 16), 25 conference titles (Tech, 11), 7 Elite 8s (Tech, 1), and a .620 all time win percentage to Tech's .560, I think it is safe to say Texas' expectations are just a wee bit higher than Texas Tech.

Texas recruits up there with Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, and Duke every year and we don't even accomplish half, hell not even a third (or insert underachievement comparison here) of what those programs do. If Texas got the right guy the program would take off. Rick did a lot of good things but getting bounced in the round of 32 with Kevin Durant is the epitome of underachievement. Texas just needs to find a coach whose nuts don't shrivel come tournament time.

Tom Penders comes to mind here not that he should come back mind you but......

Those were the loosest tournament teams I ever saw even when he was at Rhode Island.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I talked to Tim after the VCU game and without trying to speak for him he hadn't given up on Shaka, but his questions/concerns are definitely mounting. As for me, I'm waiting until the season is over before saying much on the big picture stuff (there will probably be a BC post); at times like these I try to be deliberate with my posts and I don't want to overreact to a bad week in the same way many of my football brethren did after the Maryland loss this year. I will say that the Purdue game has taken on even more importance than it already had, and that Shaka's career arc at Texas could very well be determined by conference play this year.

yeah let's not overreact to 7 years of stats, facts, data, and empirical evidence, all of which proves exactly what kind of coach he is. better wait another 7 years before jumping to any conclusions. jesus. 

by the way, you are too fucking smart for this. comparing game one of year two of the Tom Herman era to back to back home losses to absolute scrubs in year four for a coach who has been *terrible* for 2+ years at Texas and who's been underachieving his entire career? even you don't believe the bullshit you're typing. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

i wish i could figure out how use multi quote/take quotes from one thread to another, but doing that on my mobile browser seems impossible. so i'll use photos. i think it's funny that the pro shaka crowd has always been so holier than thou, and especially funny that someone who is typing the things that BWG is currently typing would act like he's above discussing UT hoops with someone like me.

710890da2dcc011ac09a05e10054b103.jpg

9d8f19f821b31489461eba7673143bc4.jpg

looks like i nailed that one.

got those quotes from here:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/217-2018-19-texas-longhorns-thread/&page=5

some very interesting reading for anyone who wants to go back and see what was being said about this team back in April.

Edited by Goo Punch

13 hours ago, chase25 said:

Ok, you win, you pulled one over on big bad Texas, put it on your stadium.

Texas hired David Pierce July 1st, I'm 99% sure Texas in the span of 8 days was not able to contact all those coaches associated with the job. We had interest in a lot of guys and settled on a guy who had a better track record than Tadlock. It really isn't that hard to understand. What I'm telling you is that the interest from Texas was minimal and nobody around Austin gives two shits about what Kirk Bohl's wants or reports. The guy is as dead to Texas sports as Chip Brown.

I didn't say they never leave their Alma mater but comparing Football to any other sport is asinine. There is a drastic difference between leaving 10-2 West Virginia where you will never win a national title to take over a 9-4 Michigan team, and leaving Tech in baseball (where you graduated and just took to Omaha for the very first time) to go to Texas coming off a 25-32 season while having to follow up arguably the greatest college baseball manager the game has ever seen. Texas is the most storied baseball program in college baseball, that being said the game has changed and other schools around the country take baseball just as seriously now as Texas always had. We are no longer the Jones' in baseball we are simply one of the Jones'. You can win just about anywhere in the country in college baseball. Stony Brook, UCSB, Long Beach State, etc... have all been able to make it to the CWS. Coastal Carolina just won a national title... Coastal Carolina.. Rice has won a national title, Fresno State has won a title, Cal State Fullerton (who Augie took from rumble and turned into a juggernaut), Pepperdine, the list goes on.

I don't know about you but I don't see UTEP and New Mexico State making the CFP any time soon. There is way more parody in baseball and basketball than in football. I never said Texas could get any coach it wanted, somebody else may have said that. I was simply responding to your comment that insinuated Texas pushed their chips all in on Tadlock and he said thanks but no thanks. If you want to believe that then so be it.

Congrats on having two good coaches in Beard and Tadlock.

.....scrolls to top to check title thread....

• Like 2

Has there ever been a coach with such discrepancy between his ability to recruit and his ability to win games?

Is there any way to get him a co head coach who can help him learn how to win games with his talent?

Gradually losing hope.

Edited by houstonfan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, houstonfan said:

Has there ever been a coach with such discrepancy between his ability to recruit and his ability to win games?

Is there any way to get him a co head coach who can help him learn how to win games with his talent?

Gradually losing hope.

Lorenzo Romar.

x/post-

Also, i'm just now catching up, and Sims was *terrible* to open the game. It's an absolute  joke that he starts. In a span of 20 seconds he left his man on defense leading to a wide open Purdue dunk, and then on the other end the guy had himself positioned totally out of bounds, resulting in a turnover when he received the pass. The guy is not good enough to get five minutes on a real team and we start him. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Goo Punch

I'd like to officially apologize to Rick Barnes.  If CDC doesn't fire this guy after the season he's done with me too. write the fucking check and get this glorified babysitter/fraud of a coach out of here.

I dunno...I think he’s got us right there, on the edge of success. Yep. Any day now.

What's the point of doing that weave passing thing with our guards 35 feet from the basket for 10 secs to start a possession?  It's like every pass is caught by somebody moving away from the basket.  Then you watch Providence and they are executing all their passes right at the 3 pt line or even just inside.  I hate myself for being happy when we hired this slap dick.

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm trying to think of a player that has gotten better over time under Shaka.  Maybe Roach?  DO, Coleman, Sims, and Eric Davis actually got worse.

He went to the final four with several players from the previous coach (Anthony Grant, a solid coach, at Dayton now) but damned if he hasn't landed several 4 star recruits. He reaches kids at recruiting time very well, not so much on the bench though.  Low X's and O's basketball IQ for a guy who played point guard in college.

I think the elephant in the room is that Texas' roster kind of... sucks?

Shaka's coaching has been poor. No doubt. But this just isn't a roster capable of anything more than an overachieving first round tournament win. You aren't fixing shit by playing player A over player B because neither of them are any good.

UT is going to waste Hayes just like they wasted Turner, Allen and Bamba. 

Until you start recruiting actual basketball players instead of project athletes from the wrong side of the metroplex or Houston this program is going to be bathed in mediocrity and awful losses.

I know I made this point some posts ago, but what led Texas to great results under Barnes was NOT the 4 and 5 star one and dones. It was the gritty, high BBIQ upperclassmen that had their livelihoods riding on showing out in college. 

As great as Hayes is it doesn't matter if Texas goes 0-30 or 30-0. He will get paid either way. You need to surround those kids with tweeners that can't leave after one season that will say "hey, motherfucker, you better bust your ass on this next possession". Nova absolutely crushed college basketball last season with a roster chock full of those players.

Shaka hasn't recruited or developed ANY of those players. It's just a bunch of slapdicks playing hot potato more worried about their instagram DMs, new KDs and next tattoo. 

I mean, what in the motherfuck is this shit?

• Fuck You 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic