Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 12/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, Lobo said:

Didn't UT-Arlington beat us last year...at home...by a lot?

Thankfully, there's some pretty shitty teams in the league this year.  It shouldn't be hard to stay out of the cellar.  We're gonna scrape 8 wins or so together, finish around 7th, and then hope our strong SOS gets us a play-in game #11 seed.  We're one-and-done-Dayton.

Or we make a solid run in the NIT.  

I love the guy, but this is just getting ugly to watch.  When you read del Conte's interview about the new area and how "deeply involved Shaka and Karen" are in the process, you can literally feel the bullshit seeping off the page.  Shake won't be here when that thing is opened up in 2021.  

Last year's UT-A squad was full of productive seniors and included a guy who was drafted by the NBA. This year's UT-A squad.....does not have that. They're going to regret firing Cross.

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Women's basketball has been awesome for awhile now, baseball is back in Omaha, the volleyball program is a perennial power, and football just won the Sugar Bowl against Georgia. CDC is not about to sit around and allow the hoops program to continue to lag behind. Bring on Musselman or Buzz Williams or Joey freaking Wright for all I care. It's time for hoops to catch up. 

I've said Buzz's name for a while, but others keep saying no fucking way and I don't understand why. 

I think he'd be a perfect fit almost. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I've said Buzz's name for a while, but others keep saying no fucking way and I don't understand why. 

Because he's at the school he wants to be at; much in the same way it will take a lot to pry Dixon out of TCU, Buzz left a good gig to go where he wanted to be.

As an aside, this is a primary reason why Beard isn't as likely to come to Texas (or a lot of other programs) as many believe. He left Vegas for Lubbock and has deep roots there, that's a very specific kind of dude.

55 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

yeah, we said the same thing about Jay Wright when Rick was fired (whoops) and Dabo Swinney when Mack was fired (whoops). We as a fan base need to get over the idea that we are above certain coaches simply because they haven't coached anywhere as big as Texas. back on shaggy when i brought up musselman some clown literally posted, "if he was so good he wouldn't be at nevada", and it got three or four pos rep points which is the surly college hoops equivalent of 15 pos reps on the football forum. it's a very narrow minded, ignorant way of thinking, one that i've been guilty of myself (see swinney and wright). i agree with you, i think buzz would be a really really good fit here and he would absolutely take the job. 

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Because he's at the school he wants to be at; much in the same way it will take a lot to pry Dixon out of TCU, Buzz left a good gig to go where he wanted to be.

As an aside, this is a primary reason why Beard isn't as likely to come to Texas (or a lot of other programs) as many believe. He left Vegas for Lubbock and has deep roots there, that's a very specific kind of dude.

buzz will leave va tech for texas. i cannot imagine va tech out bidding us, and i can't imagine him turning down more money from Texas to stay at Va Tech.

Austin >>>> Blacksburg

Texas >> Va Tech as a program 

Recruiting at Texas >>> recruiting to Va Tech

Texas' athletic department and budget >>> Va Tech

Texas is a top 10-15 job in basketball, and in reality that all depends on the coach, because if you can actually win here then it's easily a top ten job when combining the pay, the lack of expectations, and the ability to actually compete every year and possibly even win it all. that's not to mention the city, the weather, the night life, the schools, the new arena, the fertile recruiting ground that is the state of Texas, the impressive roster of former Texas players in the NBA (another recruiting tool), I mean the lost goes on and on.

I've never been one to believe that Texas can just money whip anyone they want to, but I don't see how we go after buzz williams and get turned down. 

Edited by Goo Punch

9 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I am skeptical that Buzz would be a great hire versus maybe just solid to good, but I definitely think he would be better than Shaka.

I agree with this. I think he is a good, and underrated coach who could potentially be a real success at Texas. I'm not sold on him being "the guy", but I have no doubt that he would have Texas back to being competitive in the big 12 and playing much deeper into the postseason almost right away.

13 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Top 10 program is laughable. You mean they are currently ranked 10th.  They’ve been 7th in their league the last two seasons. He’s been bounced in the 8/9 game the last two seasons.

Top 10 ranked program this year that's what I mean, not the top 10 ranked programs.  7th in the just about the top conference in college basketball historically.

That he's been able to even get ranked in the top 20 is a huge success, if you know anything about VT basketball, and how hard it is to recruit there.  So someone saying he can't coach is someone who doesn't what's he's talking about.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yeah he’s just a head coach himself, what we he know? I misspoke, they were assistants together at a previous stop. He wasn’t on Buzz’s staff. Maybe he’s improved. 

I guess not much cause they guy's done nothing but improve the program since he stepped on campus. 

Just now, Revolution512 said:

Or there’s a reason the only job he could get from Marquette was VT. That’s despite begging across the country especially at every opening in Texas

Doing a damn sight better than Shaka in Texas, and for a helluva lot less.  Ouch....   

On 1/2/2019 at 8:46 PM, Revolution512 said:

Or there’s a reason the only job he could get from Marquette was VT. That’s despite begging across the country especially at every opening in Texas

He went to VT because he wanted to be there, he's spurned offers from others previously. He's taken the Hokies to the tourney twice in the last 2 years, before him they went once in the previous 21. He's doing just fine.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

He wont be back next year

hopefully.  It really can't get worse.   we won't be making the tournament and I will be extremely worried if CDC keeps him around.  send his ass back to the east coast.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the game, but I just looked at the box score.  2-22 from 3 and 21-33 from inside the arc?  What in the ever living shit is that?  Why, why do we continue to shoot 3's when we don't have good shooters on the team?

1 minute ago, Wiler77 said:

I couldn't bring myself to watch the game, but I just looked at the box score.  2-22 from 3 and 21-33 from inside the arc?  What in the ever living shit is that?  Why, why do we continue to shoot 3's when we don't have good shooters on the team?

to be fair we were shooting 30+ threes during non conference, so we are improving! 

• Haha 1

they are done. Roach is going through the motions, DO is horrible, Sims disappeared, Febres will have one good game in 5, Coleman can't drive by anyone.  Hayes going insane and hoping one other guy might be hot is the only chance they have. 

hopefully Shaka is done as well.  4 years of bullshit.  its enough.  anyone thinking this guy can get past the 2nd round in the NCAA ever while playing in the Big 12 is smoking some serious crack.  go get a real coach.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

That seems concerning 

these guys will be shitting their pants at Hilton, Fogg, and OU.   Snoop didn't do anything really either. embarrassing beyond words.  that OSU team was a walking trainwreck.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

But on the bright side, the players have made some real wokeness breakthroughs in their fireside chats with Shaka about non-basketball topics.  

Maybe a few more SEAL Team trust drills that they run at the Rec Center Pool....... and after only 2 minutes they can "Ring the Bell" then eat doughnuts and drink specialty coffee

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

The upcoming 5 conference games on the slate for the remainder of the month won't be a joke, that's for sure. No excuse to drop a game to a horrible 6-8 OK St team even if it's on the road. What is Shaka doing having these kids chuck up all these threes? 9% from the arc that's incredibly awful what the fuck that is I don't even.....

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

The upcoming 5 conference games on the slate for the remainder of the month won't be a joke, that's for sure. No excuse to drop a game to a horrible 6-8 OK St team even if it's on the road. What is Shaka doing having these kids chuck up all these threes? 9% from the arc that's incredibly awful what the fuck that is I don't even.....

2-22 is hilariously bad.  I predict they end up sub 30% for the year. 

as they play teams with better athletes who can close out on them they will be even more difficult to make.

likely 1-4 in the next 5.  either TCU or Tech.

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's not his fault we only made 2 3-pointers tonight.  It may be somewhat his responsibility that they threw up 22 of 'em.  

This is my favorite argument from Shaka defenders. Well, the team will make more next game. Never mind that we have a perimeter-oriented system with no one who can consistently score on the perimeter.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Someone explain the deal with Hamm to me. Because he barely plays and I feel like we need a lot more guys like him. Meaning he’s bouncy and plays with energy and looks like he isn’t being forced to play basketball at gunpoint.

there's no explanation. Yancy, Holland, Barnett, Ibeh, Sims before he cratered- Shaka doesn't like these guys. Makes no sense whatsoever. 

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is my favorite argument from Shaka defenders. Well, the team will make more next game. Never mind that we have a perimeter-oriented system with no one who can consistently score on the perimeter.

Is it really a system? Because it just feels like we just shoot from the perimeter because we cannot manage to do anything else.

• Like 2

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic