The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

29 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I feel like there's a joke here and if I knew what "QAR" was I'd have a chuckle.  But I don't, so I just feel old and confused and uncool.

Quick Access Recorder, the little/less crash survivable guy that grabs mostly the same data from the auxiliary flight data acquisition unit as the flight data recorder.  I thought maybe we could plane nerd together, but my aviation hardware knowledge is hyper focused and less sexy 😔

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Quick Access Recorder, the little/less crash survivable guy that grabs mostly the same data from the auxiliary flight data acquisition unit as the flight data recorder.  I thought maybe we could plane nerd together, but my aviation hardware knowledge is hyper focused and less sexy 😔

Lol. I know virtually nothing about those.  You and my brother should nerd out on the fight data recording shit.  He's all about it.  I'm into pre-data recording tech.  Wind and wire stuff.  But I'll take that over to the Airplane thread...

15 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was at Oshkosh this week and they had this Fender Custom shop Strat with a pickguard from 747 bits:
2a4ada31b016a4a12697a07cccf8db63.jpg
7b7531958ddff283018df759d85cb321.jpg
76c8efce91874e039297d93bc72454bd.jpg

Played real nice but I wasn’t interested in paying $4500 bucks to advertise for Boeing.

Well, crap, now I'm gonna have to dig up a used 747 for my next DIY project.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

Looks like the neck might be Boeing a little bit.

latest?cb=20150712064437

They had another that was natural wood, with the vintage Boeing logo but I didn't get to see it in person because they were having a meeting in the room it was in:

img_8684.jpg?w=1000&h=

Much better looking natural finish.  

On 8/1/2018 at 12:12 AM, AnotherUTFan said:

If Paul wont, somebody needs to turn me onto this record.

Lemme dig out some mp3's and I'll post them.  

jimmyjazz and hulla are too kind.  

(edit to add:  My record is at the iTunes *store* -- album is titled, "When I Let Go."  It's not on Apple Music though, so likely you'd have to dust off an old app to get it to your smartphone.  

Open to suggestions of easiest place to post mp3 files.)

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 2

(edit to add:  My record is at the iTunes *store* -- album is titled, "When I Let Go."  It's not on Apple Music though, so likely you'd have to dust off an old app to get it to your smartphone.  

SoundCloud.

8 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

It's on Amazon.   That's where I got it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001TW549U/

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

cantwait.gif

On 8/1/2018 at 5:09 AM, kopp0e said:

And here are 2 covers:

I like seeing someone doing pull-down bends rather than push-up bends. When I was first learning by ear back in the bronze age that's how I naturally did bends. Then when I saw good guitar players actually play I noticed they all bend upwards, almost exclusively, so if figured "I must be doing it wrong." So I started trying to learn to do the typical upward bends, which also made it more difficult for me to get decent vibrato when I wanted it. It just didn't feel natural, it was more stiff. I eventually, very gradually, made the conversion over time. But I still find myself doing pull-down bends, and I'm OK with it. Sometimes I'll do and up-bend followed by a down-bend to get a different effect. I don't necessarily recommend any of this, because I am not a good guitar player.

I also had a "beat it" joke in my head, but she looks kinda young. So I won't say it.

I have spent my entire life trying desperately to avoid bending any string whatsoever.  I even moved up to 11 gauge on my electrics.  Staying in tune is paramount for me.  I couldn't do a good vibrato if you paid me -- I'd just wiggle the string up and down.

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have spent my entire life trying desperately to avoid bending any string whatsoever.  I even moved up to 11 gauge on my electrics.  Staying in tune is paramount for me.  I couldn't do a good vibrato if you paid me -- I'd just wiggle the string up and down.

Wait...you're a jazzer?

36 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Wait...you're a jazzer?

Nah, more like a loud electric folker.  Lots of chordal rhythm patterns, sometimes all the way above the 4th fret (lulz), at a high enough volume you can't tell I suck.  Bob Mould or Angus Young without the talent.

Pretty much agreed JJ. I was jamming with a pro level guy a few years ago and he says, "man, that was a great solo. Too bad you took all those perfect notes and bent them out of tune". He talked about using bends sparingly, keep everything in tune then when you do find a place to fit in a bend it stands out. Use bends sparingly and with purpose. He also talked to me about vibrato and the difference in just wiggling the string with your finger vs getting it out of your wrist. Both those ideas are things I'm still working on always. The bending habit was a tough one to break, my vibrato has improved with practice but I'd probably still opt to play a note strait and stay safe at this point.

I think it's a style thing. Different strokes, different folks. Sometimes perfect notes are the most imperfect thing you can do to a song. I'm more from the BB King school of guitar. All I know is about five notes on a scale, so I try to squeeze anything out of them I can get.

6 hours ago, DougO said:

I also had a "beat it" joke in my head, but she looks kinda young. So I won't say it.

That's Maddie Rice - she's about 25.  She's the guitarist for Jon Batiste and Stay Human, the Late Show with Stephen Colbert house band.

We don't usually hear her solos, played during commercial breaks.

I’m a big bendy fan. And I think it’s natural to bend up because I can leverage the weight of the guitar. But there’s something cool about a down bend.

My vibrato problem is that I never practice it at different speeds so I’m kind of a one trick pony in that regard.

Bends are where it’s at. Push, pull you name it. Interesting topic though. The other day at rehearsal our other guitar player, who is an actual pro and has taught lessons forever told me he’d never seen anyone both push and pull bends the way I do. He said most are one or the other. I thought it was an odd comment.

I’m a total hack, but I do bend a lot. And I try really hard to bend to something that sounds good.

Push up bends are cool because you can grab stuff underneath for the gnarlies. Pull down bends are cool, well just because they are cool.

But what do I know. Maybe I’ve just listened to too much Stevie over the years.

7 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I'll check next time I'm in front of a guitar, but I think I do push-up bends on the high 3 strings and pull-down bends on the low 3.   At least, that was my thinking when I was deciding how to practice bends many years ago. 

This for me, too.  But I might go either way on the 4th string depending on how I'm playing something. 

Bends throwing the guitar out of tune?  I haven't really noticed any problem with that, at least after new strings get stretched.   IMO, bends are what guitar is all about.  It's what distinguishes guitar from wind instruments and piano — the ability to play between notes.  

I

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Bends throwing the guitar out of tune?  I haven't really noticed any problem with that, at least after new strings get stretched.   IMO, bends are what guitar is all about.  It's what distinguishes guitar from wind instruments and piano — the ability to play between notes.  

It's difference between playing an E and Stevie Ray Vaughn playing an E.

I always had a lot of trouble getting vibrato at the top of an up-bend for some reason. Vibrato any other way always felt very natural, not over-done or too obvious, kind of subtle. I really have to concentrate and hit it right to get decent vibrato at the top of a bend.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Good grief.

I’m off to burn all my guitars in the driveway.

Sounds like the studio version.  Fuckin hell.

Team Bend.  Actually, more like Team No Rules.  I hate rules.  And I especially don't like them in my music.  Don't have a "no bends" policy.  Bend that shit.  If it plays, rock on with it.  If it doesn't, don't do it again.  Unless you play jazz, in which case do it twice more.

• Like 1