The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

12 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

What is the cheapest way to ship guitars? I am giving a couple of mine to a friend and UPS wants $130 each...big boxes with guitar in the case, one bass weighs 30 lbs. I love the guy, but not $130 worth. 

I have found FedEx Ground to be cheaper than UPS, for the most part. I just ran it through their calculator, and if I shipped the LP I got last week in the packaging it came in, it would cost less than $30 to ship it in state, and twice that to ship it across country. 

I am in the market for another acoustic. I have a 1996 Fender that I really like, and I hunted down a '95 of the same model that is just such a piece of shit by comparison. I can't even really explain it other than to say the '95 is just less playable. It sounds roughly as good, but it plays like shit. I haven't measured out the action, but it's not visibly higher on the '95. 

It's disappointing. But I'll probably get over it when I buy the new guitar.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I am in the market for another acoustic. I have a 1996 Fender that I really like, and I hunted down a '95 of the same model that is just such a piece of shit by comparison. I can't even really explain it other than to say the '95 is just less playable. It sounds roughly as good, but it plays like shit. I haven't measured out the action, but it's not visibly higher on the '95. 

It's disappointing. But I'll probably get over it when I buy the new guitar.

Over the years, I've found that as consistent as the quality is on Fender's electrics, the acoustics are just as inconsistent.  

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Over the years, I've found that as consistent as the quality is on Fender's electrics, the acoustics are just as inconsistent.  

Can stipulate. I feel like I got a tremendous bargain on the 96, but the 95 is a standard piece-o-shit cheap acoustic. But I love the 96 enough that I forgive Fender and the little Koreans that make their acoustics. Or made, in the mid-90s, I don't know where Fender gets their acoustics built nowadays.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, topochico said:

Just heard, starting Oct 1, 2019 Sweetwater will start collecting sales tax for Texas residents. Get your orders in gentlemen.

I'll just talk my rep into knocking whatever the tax comes to off the pretax price. 

• Like 3

Adorama has the Gretch 5622t on sale again for $550.

https://www.adorama.com/gr2509300577.html?sdtid=13350892&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

I have passed on this several times, but for some reason seeing this today gave me a bit of an itch. I don't need it, shouldn't want it. It may pass, like previous times. This is the wrong place, but talk me down.

Adorama has the Gretch 5622t on sale again for $550.
https://www.adorama.com/gr2509300577.html?sdtid=13350892&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
I have passed on this several times, but for some reason seeing this today gave me a bit of an itch. I don't need it, shouldn't want it. It may pass, like previous times. This is the wrong place, but talk me down.

No.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I love Gretchs. I want a Gretch. But every time I have played a Chinese one it has played like ass.

The $2k MIJ ones are a different story though.

This is the voice of experience you should really listen to.  The obvious answer is to skip the Adorama Gretsch and go for this one instead. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G6659TGCG--gretsch-g6659tg-players-edition-broadkaster-jr-center-block-cadillac-green-bigsby-tailpiece

Edited by topochico

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I love Gretchs. I want a Gretch. But every time I have played a Chinese one it has played like ass.

The $2k MIJ ones are a different story though.

This one is an electromatic made in Korea, not a streamliner. I played one once in a music store and it felt pretty dang good. I still play shitty with it, though.

But I could get five of the cheaper ones for that price and have one in every color.

I feel you. I love cheap guitars for that very reason. Of my ten, only one electric (maybe two, I don’t recall what I paid for my USA Strat in the mid 90s) and two acoustics cost more than a grand. And only one of them do I not really like (Yamaha Baritone that I kinda tried to make into a death metal machine).

Ya, I have these ones too that might be more your style. The green one is an actual 1958 Anniversary with a PAF Filtertron that my Dad bought in 1963.

Gretsch only has a claim the Billy-Bo body style because the guy who custom built the original for Bo Diddly happened to have a Gretsch neck to put on it. So you're right that it's a non-Gretsch Gretsch. Sounds incredible though.

fe8c136fd2d0ba7d743bf33f4a988a65.jpg

eb7409bf221cd01bc2ba83f43782897a.jpg

• Like 3