The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Rickenbacker Bass Diary Day 1

If you're exploring the features of you're new Rick, do not loosen the mute screws all the way. If you do, the will detach from the mute plate and the only way to get it back on is to remove the entire bridge. This the most over complicated bridge design ther possibly could have come up with.

Lesson learned. c5ddf99c079718cd3ffdd8ec4e969960.jpg

21 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Rickenbacker Bass Diary Day 1

If you're exploring the features of you're new Rick, do not loosen the mute screws all the way. If you do, the will detach from the mute plate and the only way to get it back on is to remove the entire bridge. Yeah but 
Lesson learned. c5ddf99c079718cd3ffdd8ec4e969960.jpg

Yeah, but ain't all that chrome gorgeous?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

Nice 88.  I'll bet that thing slams!

You know how some guitars just have "it"? This is one of those guitars. Just an amazing player.

It actually has wound it's way through the family a bit, my step dad got it new, then I had it for awhile in the early 90's, then it went back and forth twice, and I went over Sunday to get it out of the closet he had it in. Apparently I was the last person to change the strings on it too, talk about rough. There's a non zero chance the grime on the fret board contains some Cool Ranch Doritos funk I may have been eating about 25 years ago too.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

You know how some guitars just have "it"? This is one of those guitars. Just an amazing player.

It actually has wound it's way through the family a bit, my step dad got it new, then I had it for awhile in the early 90's, then it went back and forth twice, and I went over Sunday to get it out of the closet he had it in. Apparently I was the last person to change the strings on it too, talk about rough. There's a non zero chance the grime on the fret board contains some Cool Ranch Doritos funk I may have been eating about 25 years ago too.

87--early 90 American Standards are true sleeper guitars.  These were before the move to the new factory.  Hand picked woods and hand built.  The pickups are special too.  The only thing I changed was ditching the TBX double-gang tone pot.  I never could make that behave in a practical way when switching between pickups.  I have an early 90 tele, and it's my #1, beating out two American Vintage (52 and 64). 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcbc said:

88--early 90 American Standards are true sleeper guitars.  These were before the move to the new factory.  Hand picked woods and hand built.  The pickups are special too.  The only thing I changed was ditching the TBX double-gang tone pot.  I never could make that behave in a practical way when switching between pickups.  I have an early 90 tele, and it's my #1, beating out two American Vintage (52 and 64). 

Smith and Blanda really did fantastic work turning the company around. The current Fender guitars are pretty good but business caught up with them a bit as happens. I've pondered many times getting a '63 Strat or something, but deep down early 90s American Strat Pluses out of Corona are as good if not better than any vintage I've handled.

This Tele legitimately might have been the best guitar I have ever played. It punches so hard and immaculate action.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

Those guitars are 30 years old, now. I think you can call them vintage. 

Not around some people. 

But I'm one of those people who interprets the term vintage literally, i.e., it means nothing without a year next to it.  Vintage 88 Tele  Vintage 79 tele.  Vintage tele?  What the hell is that?  What year is it?

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey found a Gibson songwriter acoustic in king condition on market place. He’s asking $1950 or best offer. Is that a good price? It’s beautiful. I saw on reverb people asking 2300-2500 plus shipping. Could I buy and flip this and make a couple hundred. Asking for a friend whose wife doesn’t read this thread

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Hey found a Gibson songwriter acoustic in king condition on market place. He’s asking $1950 or best offer. Is that a good price? It’s beautiful. I saw on reverb people asking 2300-2500 plus shipping. Could I buy and flip this and make a couple hundred. Asking for a friend whose wife doesn’t read this thread

That's a good price.  Either he's trying to move it, or there's something wrong with it and he's trying to move it.  

44 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Talk to me goose??? How much? 

$1799. Still hating I didn't grab one of the last run about 15 years ago. Got them to throw in a setup and oil the fretboard. 

Rep said they have the shipment tracking to the warehouse tomorrow and will ship after he contacts with the weights. Told him I don't want a boat anchor. 

Edited by Deej

45 minutes ago, Deej said:

$1799. Still hating I didn't grab one of the last run about 15 years ago. Got them to throw in a setup and oil the fretboard. 

Rep said they have the shipment tracking to the warehouse tomorrow and will ship after he contacts with the weights. Told him I don't want a boat anchor. 

Good price range for a heavy relic'd...paint 3 of the guard screws rusty black

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There are people on the gear page angsting over the fact it is a made in mexico tele.  I personally don't give a shit.  If it plays and sounds badass, it plays and sounds badass, and then I can either afford it or I can't.

I was actually texting with my dad last night (about borrowing one of his basses) and we both agreed the MIM stuff has improved significantly over time. And something like this will definitely get more attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I was actually texting with my dad last night (about borrowing one of his basses) and we both agreed the MIM stuff has improved significantly over time. And something like this will definitely get more attention.

Yeah, I have owned two (and still own one) Eastman that was made in China, and they were great guitars.  Ditto my Reverend Club King that was made in Korea.  They were more in the $800-$1200 range, but I've certainly played American made $3000 guitars that were not as good to me and my hands/ears.  If someone would rather support American industry and manufacturing on principle, I can understand that, but a guitar's country of origin does not immediately equate to it sucking.

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There are people on the gear page angsting over the fact it is a made in mexico tele.  I personally don't give a shit.  If it plays and sounds badass, it plays and sounds badass, and then I can either afford it or I can't.

They higher end MIM stuff is nice. I've got an Baja Tele and that Shoreline Gold Strat. Nothing wrong with either. My P Bass is MIM (the Dakota red with the anodized guard) and it is flawless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I have owned two (and still own one) Eastman that was made in China, and they were great guitars.  Ditto my Reverend Club King that was made in Korea.  They were more in the $800-$1200 range, but I've certainly played American made $3000 guitars that were not as good to me and my hands/ears.  If someone would rather support American industry and manufacturing on principle, I can understand that, but a guitar's country of origin does not immediately equate to it sucking.

The US Plant and Mexico plant are pretty close to each other, geographically. What's the old joke? MIM are made in Mexico by Mexicans. MiA are made in California by Mexicans. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

They higher end MIM stuff is nice. I've got an Baja Tele and that Shoreline Gold Strat. Nothing wrong with either. My P Bass is MIM (the Dakota red with the anodized guard) and it is flawless.

Yep, just making sure it is known that its MIM since that seems important to some people.  I imagine they are mostly people who can afford an $800 price tag and not an $1800 price tag and it has nothing to do with the quality of the instrument.

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

That gold strat was MIM. Fender sent their Custom Shop guys down to work with them until they got the process down on that model. Designed by one of the Custom Shop guys. 

I am with you about not giving a shit.  Order it from your sweetwater guy and use their liberal return policy if its not up to that standard.  None of the people bitching about it being MiM have actually played one of these to know wtf they are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I am with you about not giving a shit.  Order it from your sweetwater guy and use their liberal return policy if its not up to that standard.  None of the people bitching about it being MiM have actually played one of these to know wtf they are talking about.

If that Strummer came out of the American plant with that relicing and a nitro finish it would be $3500 at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Deej said:

I'm just hoping they have the same neck as the 2007 model. That thing is fantastic. 

It looks like the new necks are nitro finished. According to specs I’m seeing online, the older ones had a reliced glossy neck? I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen on another Fender. That seems weird. Do you remember if that was the case, Deej? Hope they’re the same profile.

Also, just an observation, but it comes with a vintage style six saddle bridge like Strummer’s ‘66 Tele had. This had to have been a modification he had done as the six saddle bridge didn’t appear until 74-75.

6 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

It looks like the new necks are nitro finished. According to specs I’m seeing online, the older ones had a reliced glossy neck? I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen on another Fender. That seems weird. Do you remember if that was the case, Deej? Hope they’re the same profile.

Also, just an observation, but it comes with a vintage style six saddle bridge like Strummer’s ‘66 Tele had. This had to have been a modification he had done as the six saddle bridge didn’t appear until 74-75.

Joe swapped out the three saddle bridge shortly after he got it. I think the neck profile is the same. On the old ones, the relicing felt really great on the back of the neck and they were noticeably flatter on the fingerboard down to about the 7th fret because Joe beat the shit out of his playing rhythm.

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

87--early 90 American Standards are true sleeper guitars.  These were before the move to the new factory.  Hand picked woods and hand built.  The pickups are special too.  

I think you've said this before, and I immediately quoted you to agree with you... so here we are again.  

The Fender Custom Shop guitars from the same era are also great instruments.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I think you've said this before, and I immediately quoted you to agree with you... so here we are again.  

I've seriously been using all my willpower over the past couple weeks to not pickup another Strat Plus. You people are not helping.

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't have any experience with them (the C/S guitars of that era), but I have no reason to doubt it.  On the A/S side of things, they were just trying to get the quality over what was coming out of Japan at that point, and they seem to have succeeded (not to take anything away from 80s Japanese Fenders, even though at the time, we all were told they had electronics/switch/pot issues).  I had no idea what I was getting when I got my 90 Telecaster other than it seemed to play really well in the shop and only got better as I got used to it.  As for the 87--90 thing, I read about that years later on TDPRI.  But my experience with my son's 88 Strat further supports the theory that that era has some really well-built guitars.

Edited by dcbc