The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

i want that (although I'd have to replace the truss cover)
Yeah, I'm thinking real hard on it.
I missed the George Harrison Strat & Tele.
Although Rick is having a moment, he'd be the first to say he isn't that.
Still, it sure is a pretty guitar.
I just sold one that was awfully similar. It helped cover the Rickenbass

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I'm generally way less likely to buy a guitar if it's a signature model or whatever. I wouldn't say never, but extremely unlikely

I have have three Les Pauls and the Tweedy SG.  

People kind of forget that the Les Paul is a signature model.

They shouldn't.

In any case, it's not so much that it's a big deal for me to have the signature.  I do like that blue color though.  I wonder what it would look like with a white pick guard and pup covers, like my Tweedy SG.  

Then I have two I made on my own.  So I guess they're my own signature models?  Though there's probably only about 20 people on earth who know that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

They shouldn't.

In any case, it's not so much that it's a big deal for me to have the signature.  I do like that blue color though.  I wonder what it would look like with a white pick guard and pup covers, like my Tweedy SG.  

Then I have two I made on my own.  So I guess they're my own signature models?  Though there's probably only about 20 people on earth who know that.

Not really, it's a model of guitar. Plus you have signature LPs on top of that. Signature guitars in this context are an existing model with whatever artists name on it. It's like the difference in the Zakk Wylde LP versus Zakks line of guitars.

I'm just fairly turned off by any sort of signature anything. I'd rather just have the regular one and make it my own. I do have a 2555SL Marshall head, but thats because I wanted a Jubilee, so as I said before I'm not saying I never would it's just not a selling point for me.

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm a bit of a fan of the Chrissie Hynde

Fixed

25 minutes ago, G650 said:

Not really, it's a model of guitar. Plus you have signature LPs on top of that. Signature guitars in this context are an existing model with whatever artists name on it. It's like the difference in the Zakk Wylde LP versus Zakks line of guitars.

I'm just fairly turned off by any sort of signature anything. I'd rather just have the regular one and make it my own. I do have a 2555SL Marshall head, but thats because I wanted a Jubilee, so as I said before I'm not saying I never would it's just not a selling point for me.

Fixed

Well, yes, really.  It is widely regarded as the first signature model electric.  It literally has his signature on the headstock. The reason some people may not think of it as a "signature" is because Les has not been in the charts since the 50s and his signature guitar has become ubiquitous.  

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/history-of-signature-guitars/

I understand your aversion to signature models.  I once had it as well.  But when I see a guitar that I like, well, I like it.  I don't really care who's name is on it.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Well, yes, really.  It is widely regarded as the first signature model electric.  It literally has his signature on the headstock. The reason some people may not think of it as a "signature" is because Les has not been in the charts since the 50s and his signature guitar has become ubiquitous.  

https://guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/history-of-signature-guitars/

I understand your aversion to signature models.  I once had it as well.  But when I see a guitar that I like, well, I like it.  I don't really care who's name is on it.

I understand how the Les Paul model came to be thanks. And you definitely don't understand My "aversion" at all, clearly.

It has nothing to do with how long Les Paul has not been in the charts. It's a broad model of guitar and everyone gets that intuitively without some overwrought reasoning.

Again, the Les Paul is not a signature guitar in this use of the word. If it were, it would be a singular item with one exact set of features, which it clearly isn't. There's myriad shapes, compositions, electronics and paint jobs.  It's no more a signature guitar at this point than the Stratocaster. Calling the LP a signature model is just pedantry that misses the actual point.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

They shouldn't.

Maybe like this? This Yamaha has been on my radar for a while now.

E9E249D0-9812-4317-A521-E90CD1157CD8_1_201_a.jpeg

6 hours ago, DougO said:

Yep, Lake Placid is the best color for a Tele, other than a wood grain finish. Especially with a rosewood fretboard.

I've really been on a tear for a Lake Placid/Rosewood Strat lately. Trying to resist the urge.

6 hours ago, DougO said:

I tend to agree on signature guitars. They're usually not much more than the standard model other than having someone's name on it and jacking up the price.

Broadly yeah, this is what it has become. It's also a limiting factor because of relic-ing, pickups or hardware or whatnot.

Sleeping on it I was probably too strident with my response to @Chad Fuck, so sorry about that. But the fact is words change meaning over the years. If you want to say the Les Paul began as a signature model, then sure I will buy that. It ceased to be one almost immediately after it came out though, over 60 years ago. There's several reasons, one being there were a shitload of models in the span of about 4 years, so anything signature went out the window right away, and further Les Paul had almost nothing to do with the design of the instrument. He didn't even like most of them. And the whole story about The Log guitar being the inspiration is a total fabrication by Les.

A signature instrument today is an existing model with a certain set of features and paint, nothing more. There's plenty of artists with their own line of guitars, such as Zakk Wylde as I mentioned. You wouldn't call the Wylde Audio guitars a Zakk Wylde signature, that would be his Bullseye Les Paul. My only issue is getting something that is that specific and paying a premium for no reason. In almost 40 years I've never bought a guitar that I did not modify in some way, why on earth would I buy one with super specific features that cost more? That's what I'm saying by buying a regular one and make it my own. As a player I make the guitars what I want them to be, tailored to me. There is no off the shelf guitar for that.

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

They shouldn't.

So to this, yes they absolutely 100% should forget that because it's not a thing.

12 hours ago, topochico said:

Maybe like this? This Yamaha has been on my radar for a while now.

E9E249D0-9812-4317-A521-E90CD1157CD8_1_201_a.jpeg

Yes, ke this:

image.thumb.png.35545c6072dc913350b2d5818f7c3faa.png

This guitar has really grown on me over time, even though it has a little wider neck than some of my other Gibsons.  I just can't play it out because my wife/kid got it for me brand new and I don't want to ding it up.  I also can't seem to find a used one cheap.  My only gripe about it is the vibrola.  I love all that chrome, but man does the vibrola suck.  The guitar stays in tune so long as you don't touch that thing, then all of a sudden you've got some sort of Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth alt tuning vibe going quite unintentionally.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I've really been on a tear for a Lake Placid/Rosewood Strat lately. Trying to resist the urge.

Broadly yeah, this is what it has become. It's also a limiting factor because of relic-ing, pickups or hardware or whatnot.

Sleeping on it I was probably too strident with my response to @Chad Fuck, so sorry about that. But the fact is words change meaning over the years. If you want to say the Les Paul began as a signature model, then sure I will buy that. It ceased to be one almost immediately after it came out though, over 60 years ago. There's several reasons, one being there were a shitload of models in the span of about 4 years, so anything signature went out the window right away, and further Les Paul had almost nothing to do with the design of the instrument. He didn't even like most of them. And the whole story about The Log guitar being the inspiration is a total fabrication by Les.

A signature instrument today is an existing model with a certain set of features and paint, nothing more. There's plenty of artists with their own line of guitars, such as Zakk Wylde as I mentioned. You wouldn't call the Wylde Audio guitars a Zakk Wylde signature, that would be his Bullseye Les Paul. My only issue is getting something that is that specific and paying a premium for no reason. In almost 40 years I've never bought a guitar that I did not modify in some way, why on earth would I buy one with super specific features that cost more? That's what I'm saying by buying a regular one and make it my own. As a player I make the guitars what I want them to be, tailored to me. There is no off the shelf guitar for that.

So to this, yes they absolutely 100% should forget that because it's not a thing.

A couple last thoughts and then I'll let this go down the "we can all agree that you are stridently wrong" memory hole. ;) 

First, I can agree with you that one version of what a "signature model" means now is basically as you have described - a stock guitar tweaked as the named player may tweak it.  I think it also means, and meant, a custom designed instrument named for an individual.  But even by your definition, you are essentially agreeing with me that the Les Paul was a signature model back in 1952 when it came out (accusing me of pendatics, no less...ahem).

image.thumb.png.510fa23569f7720f207c2ce8c883d675.png

Meanings now don't apply to meanings then though.  Moreover, what came after the Les Paul was originally - all the mods etc. - have nothing to do with whether Gibson originally named it Les Paul because they wanted the sales potential of a guitar endorsed by a popular player at the time they named it.  So  what do we make of this advertisement of the period where Gibson is touting the unique to this player virtues of his signature model - exactly the attributes that you define as making a guitar a "signature"?  I think we take it to mean that when the Les Paul was released, it was a signature model.  If it wasn't, as others have mentioned, where does that leave other players signature models?  What about the Gibson Trini Lopez or Tal Farrow etc., etc.?  Are those also not signature "guitars" but rather signature "models" as you've split that hair?  What about the Gretsch Chet Atkins guitars?  Are those less than signature models?  No, not any less.  Those were all signature models that followed the Les Paul convention - they were named after a player because that's how they wanted to sell more guitars.  It's a marketing gimmick - something I think we both can agree on.

As further evidence, let us turn to the earliest Gibson catalog I could find, 1958, a mere six years after the release of the Les Paul signature model.  Look in this catalog and tell me if you see anything other than numbers and letters for names for instruments:  https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1958_index.php.  Oh wait, I found one.  The Byrdland - named after Billy Byrd and Hank Garland - once again following the Les Paul marketing convention.  Signature model or no?

Now, on an altogether different topic, agree with you about getting about paying a premium for a name, which is what I originally understood you to say from the beginning.  Especially if you aren't buying any feature that you really want.  But what if you are buying such features?  What if it just so happens that you want the Model X signature because it has a lot of whistle and bells that you like?  Or you like the paint or whatever?  Is that worth a premium?  Up to the buyer I'd say.  After all, the Les Paul was a premium guitar at the time with features that no other guitar in the Gibson line had.  It was a unique animal - signature even.  

As to the value of signature models over "stock" models.  I think we agree more than we disagree.  Would I buy a Strat for $20k because it has a copy of every ding and scratch that SRV put into a his #1?  No, I wouldn't.  But someone sure would as we've seen a proliferation of such models.  And I'd argue people are buying those more as art.  There's a reason we don't see those played out by the greats, even if they have them.  It's a specific kind of product for a specific kind of buyer.  I don't think I'd play that one out if I had it.  But maybe Paul Allen had a dozen as his daily players because he could? And would I pay a premium for the Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom with the six way switching and bigsby because I love Jimmy Page?  Maybe.  But I might also do it because I don't have an LP with those features and they sound pretty friggin' cool.  

As Gored noted, it's essentially the Miller Lite debate.  Do you like ice cream?  Some people like chocolate and some like vanilla and some like both.  Same with signature models.  

I think this is sufficiently beat to death, so I'll go back to lusting after the Rick Beato sig model.  Not so much of Rick, but because it seems like a pretty cool variation on the double cut LP. And blue shore is purdy.

41 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yes, ke this:

image.thumb.png.35545c6072dc913350b2d5818f7c3faa.png

This guitar has really grown on me over time, even though it has a little wider neck than some of my other Gibsons.  I just can't play it out because my wife/kid got it for me brand new and I don't want to ding it up.  I also can't seem to find a used one cheap.  My only gripe about it is the vibrola.  I love all that chrome, but man does the vibrola suck.  The guitar stays in tune so long as you don't touch that thing, then all of a sudden you've got some sort of Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth alt tuning vibe going quite unintentionally.  

Beautiful....

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, noharleyyet said:

Beautiful....

Yeah, this color is what turned my head on the Rick Beato videos.  I have a buddy who's guitars I've posted here, who solely collects custom/unique color variations because they demand a resale premium.  That's something else about these signature models - part of the reason I can't find a good Tweedy SG with all the new worn off so I can play it out is because people aren't doing that.  Almost all the ones you find on Reverb are premium priced.  

The George Harrison Strat/Teles are also selling pretty high over original sales price, but they're starting to come down. But I think the limited release of those, and the association with the Beatles will drive that.  Perhaps when some of the boomers die off I can get one just for fun at a discount when they're EDM loving kids are trying to parcel out dad's guitar collection.

14 minutes ago, DougO said:

2 grand for the Beato sig, I'm just not anywhere near that wheelhouse. It's a cool guitar, though.

Maybe.  But the Gibson Custom ones are retail $4199.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom/1960-Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-VOS-TV-Yellow-1500000305052.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw94WZBhDtARIsAKxWG-9rj0CwsVgVzByKBdrePeBUwWenrY-e6Ji2OgxqwCXS7rIGSjjV1CAaAsQ9EALw_wcB

I found only one on reverb for less than than $2k:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Gibson les paul special double cutaway

So maybe the Rick one is a deal?

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I think this is sufficiently beat to death,

Never!

I dig the color of your SG a lot btw.

Yes, I do agree it was initially a signature model, and I think that it promptly became not a signature model, to sum it up.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

So in very random and esoteric thoughts, I bought a new guitar strap recently, and it occurred to me this was the first strap I've bought in 30 years. I had one strap that I have used for everything I've ever done since the mid 90s. Recording, live, practice, you name it. Just a plain black fabric.

Threw me for a loop a bit to have a new strap so I don't switch between guitars.

Edited by G650

I have two signature guitars (which is a sizable % of what I own).

1. Mike Campbell Duesenberg.  I kind of wish it didn't have such a flashy paint job, because my technical prowess doesn't live up to the racing stripe.  But it's just sooooo fucking gloriously well engineered.  Easily the most well-intonated, stays-in-tune, plays-like-butter guitar that I've ever owned, gets a pretty wide range of sounds (bridge humbucker + neck P90), and it sounds fantastic through almost any amplifier.  It turned me into an evangelist for Duesenbergs.  I'll never sell it.  

2.  Malcolm Young Gretsch - I bought it used, after the original owner had it custom painted candy tangerine, swapped out the pickups, put a Bigsby on it, and then put it right back in its case forever.   I know, I know... why would you buy a signature model and then heavily modify it?  I don't know.  After I bought it, I took the Bigsby off and made it back into a hardtail.  It's probably the guitar I play the least, but it's just super appealing to me.  I think it's cool as shit.  I'll try to put a photo up this week.  

(edit) Used to have a George Harrison signature Gretsch that I impulsively bought during a trip to New York, but just never bonded with it and sold it.  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man I never thought about it at all and the spelling doesn’t line up but I had always associated the Byrdland model with Birdland, the jazz club.

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'll some pron while I'm looking up DCs:

image.thumb.png.8e0e5de2e3016c45b65b6323831f666b.png

Only $7850.  But it is a 1959 model.

https://reverb.com/item/60619555-1959-gibson-les-paul-special-dc-cherry

Do they have photos from after it…. was dropped onto the concrete while this photo was being taken?

39 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So maybe the Rick one is a deal?

I must admit, I am tempted.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure my wife or daughter would forgive me after "sorry I spent the rest of your fall tuition money on a guitar".

How much of a compromise in build quality is there between Custom shop Gibsons and the regular builds?  $2K for that Beato double cut is just really hard to ignore.

45 minutes ago, G650 said:

So in very random and esoteric thoughts, I bought a new guitar strap recently, and it occurred to me this was the first strap I've bought in 30 years. I had one strap that I have used for everything I've ever done since the mid 90s. Recording, live, practice, you name it. Just a plain black fabric.

Threw me for a loop a bit to have a new strap so I don't switch between guitars.

What do you think about signature straps?

I got into straps recently because they're cheaper than guitars yet still scratch the gear itch.  It's a lot like matching ties with shirts.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

giphy.webp

Well I have had one plain black strap for 30 years so I guess not a hell of a lot apparently.

Mildly tongue in cheek there.

I am not one of them, but there is a whole subculture of people who collect straps.  The one Hendrix had a Woodstock, Clapton at Royal Albert Hall, Lennon on the Apple rooftop, etc., etc.

It's a whole other level of collecting. 

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Mildly tongue in cheek there.

I am not one of them, but there is a whole subculture of people who collect straps.  The one Hendrix had a Woodstock, Clapton at Royal Albert Hall, Lennon on the Apple rooftop, etc., etc.

It's a whole other level of collecting. 

I actually quite like the tie analogy.

I have one dirty secret to tell. The other strap I bought was the Lennon. I thought it matched my blue pearl burst Strat well.

The main reason I never bought any other straps was that back in the day 60" were super rare. You basically could get a plain black cloth one and that was it. Now it seems they make all straps 60" which is awesome, so I may get another one or two. I actually have several other straps, one of which is the real Hendrix strap from the 60's (not his personal one obvs) that was my dads. He bought it new sometime in the 60's when it was just one of the straps on offer at your local music store. Its short as hell though. I've often pondered stitching on some more fabric to extend it, but I would probably just buy a new one now if I wanted that pattern as they make them long enough. I have several Fender straps as well and a shorter black one that are just piled in a bag in my shop.

ETA: One thing I definitely know about myself is I'm not the collector type. I treat my instruments very much as tools, which goes back to the whole other thing. I don't collect anything, I just don't have that much impulse for that.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh weird, I actually have some version of a few of those. I have the Lennon one on my hd-28. I have Hendrix Monterey strap on my strat that I don’t love but I haven’t found one I like better with it. But it’s less about collecting specific artist straps and more about I like woven straps and try to find the one that goes best with each guitar.

99E396B9-1DE0-4AD9-8506-B5669505DA4A.thumb.jpeg.845ce9f23b88a9c2b0af7bc86112e0c6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Strange. I don't know where they chop off 50 percent. They save some on the finish and the thinner body, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Oh weird, I actually have some version of a few of those. I have the Lennon one on my hd-28. I have Hendrix Monterey strap on my strat that I don’t love but I haven’t found one I like better with it. But it’s less about collecting specific artist straps and more about I like woven straps and try to find the one that goes best with each guitar.

99E396B9-1DE0-4AD9-8506-B5669505DA4A.thumb.jpeg.845ce9f23b88a9c2b0af7bc86112e0c6.jpeg

Me too.  I have one that's associated with Jimmy Page kind of on my LP.  But mainly I like it because it make the flame stand out. 

Just now, DougO said:

Strange. I don't know where they chop off 50 percent. They save some on the finish and the thinner body, but it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Exactly.  It's a weird price point for that guitar.

I keep a different strap on each guitar. Most are cheap, nylon weave, but I do have decent leather straps on the P-Bass, Orange Gretsch, SG, and of course the Les Paul Signature Les Paul.

I'm not happy with the strap I bought for the Rickenbass. It was a cheap wide one, but the Rick's a little neck heavy and I need something with a little grab like I have on the P'Bass.

Speaking of. I saw Iron Maiden again last night and Steve Harris made me feel ashamed I ever thought I needed anything more than a P-Bass. The picture doesn't show it, but Steve plays with some big, heavy pad wrap around his strap that starts at his should and goes down the back.

EDIT - I just Googled, the 2nd pic kinda shows it. I guess they are custom padded. That guy probably walks about 5 miles across the stage over show, so I'm sure it helps.

167cc4a5c283f7e9b84f6ed08d06a996.jpg

1aa6aee5f85aa3edd618f0cf5ecf51e6.jpg

I got my 90s Epiphone Les Paul Jr a few years ago in a pawn shop for $60. It was going to be a project guitar, but I really loved the way it felt and the sound of the P90. I haven't picked it up much lately, but I keep it tuned on open G for when the mood strikes. 

epilpjr.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2