The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

the best part was the price

animal-house-zero-point-zero.gif

Gil, can we get a closeup shot of the pickup? Or can you take a close look at at it? According to a couple things I was reading, the Charlie Christian pickup had a notch in the “blade” underneath the B string starting around 1938. Pickups with flat blades were still used in some 1939 models, so it’s not a definitive way to age the guitar. But if the pickup is notched, it was likely made 1938 or later. 

Saw a mention earlier this week of some sort of Les Paul exhibit going on in “downtown” Wake Forest -

https://www.facebook.com/LesPaulFromStartToFinish?mibextid=LQQJ4d

IMG_3119.thumb.jpeg.e10af68f3b32acb5e99d17a02309c321.jpeg

I’m watching the kiddo all day so I figured we wouldn’t be able to sit for the talk or q&a (or do much touchy freely with the guitars) but I decided to see what I could make of it with a toddler in tow. Some cool guitars, nice guy, he insisted that one of us get to do some hands on with the collection

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.485cdc335efe07d51a38f2f6dc0befa4.jpeg

IMG_3109.thumb.jpeg.e66ddf133d16f0a73f33290e52ee563b.jpeg
IMG_3112.thumb.jpeg.8072043dbb250c4e8010005ecdabcc1a.jpeg

IMG_3113.thumb.jpeg.ea0569c242c6ae7904c5df1e94aeb25d.jpeg

IMG_3115.thumb.jpeg.8bddbe3776bbd5005c0b463856e99840.jpeg

IMG_3114.thumb.jpeg.6b0baedb774ae00b0fbbd65d1dc9a75e.jpeg

Really was only able to do about 10 minutes and obviously couldn’t take good shots, but it was cool. That Falcon sounded nice.

Toddler tax

IMG_3116.thumb.jpeg.49ce84764cf1b2906dabafb7bd427891.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

So, I plugged it in. Of course, the volume control on my amp is scratchy as hell, so I need to take it apart and try to blast the pot with contact cleaner.

Anyway, when the amp settles down, it sounds great. Tone knob is weird. 1 sounds drastically different than 2, and I can’t hear the difference between 2 and 10. (They aren’t numbered). No idea if that’s a problem or just a characteristic of this old thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Update:  I actually had contact cleaner here at the house, and douching the pot worked, and the amp sounds clean again. 

And with the clean amp, I can here the tone knob working better.  It's still pretty drastic from 1-2, but I can also detect a change from 2-10*

*this one doesn't go to 11

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I'm trying to remember what the deal is with the Charlie Christian pickups. Super duper heavy/huge but low output because this is pre alnico, so like a big warm thing?

Mine is very warm.  But, my amp isn't great.  Yamaha 50 watt solid state. Not horrible, not "good".  YMMV.  This is the only one I've played. And honestly, I'm not playing all that well today.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Update:  I actually had contact cleaner here at the house, and douching the pot worked, and the amp sounds clean again. 

And with the clean amp, I can here the tone knob working better.  It's still pretty drastic from 1-2, but I can also detect a change from 2-10*

*this one doesn't go to 11

That sounds like a linear taper pot as opposed to an audio or log taper pot which is what Gibson and most companies use nowadays. No idea if linear pots were used back then. Someone else here may know. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I’m watching the kiddo all day so I figured we wouldn’t be able to sit for the talk or q&a (or do much touchy freely with the guitars) but I decided to see what I could make of it with a toddler in tow. Some cool guitars, nice guy, he insisted that one of us get to do some hands on with the collection

IMG_3111.thumb.jpeg.485cdc335efe07d51a38f2f6dc0befa4.jpeg

IMG_3109.thumb.jpeg.e66ddf133d16f0a73f33290e52ee563b.jpeg
IMG_3112.thumb.jpeg.8072043dbb250c4e8010005ecdabcc1a.jpeg

IMG_3113.thumb.jpeg.ea0569c242c6ae7904c5df1e94aeb25d.jpeg

IMG_3115.thumb.jpeg.8bddbe3776bbd5005c0b463856e99840.jpeg

IMG_3114.thumb.jpeg.6b0baedb774ae00b0fbbd65d1dc9a75e.jpeg

Really was only able to do about 10 minutes and obviously couldn’t take good shots, but it was cool. That Falcon sounded nice.

Toddler tax

IMG_3116.thumb.jpeg.49ce84764cf1b2906dabafb7bd427891.jpeg

She’s a good girl,

Loves her momma

Loves [ice cream]

And America too. 🇺🇸 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

That sounds like a linear taper pot as opposed to an audio or log taper pot which is what Gibson and most companies use nowadays. No idea if linear pots were used back then. Someone else here may know. 

I don't know what they used back then but it definitely sounds linear.

Adorama via the Slickdeals link. 

https://slickdeals.net/f/16754477-gretsch-g5410t-electromatic-rat-rod-hollow-body-bigsby-electric-guitar-matte-vintage-white-499-free-s-h?src=frontpage_recombee&prop=rcmid-55b7bab7af3e98f54595da5ca807cb68&attrsrc=Personalization%3AInterspersed%3ATrue

Gretsch G5410T Electromatic "Rat Rod" Hollow Body Bigsby Electric Guitar (Matte Vintage White) $499 + Free S/H

$499.00
$850.00
gr2506811505.jpg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Their website is borked, at least for me.

The slickdeals one? The link I posted above just worked for me. Just go to slickdeals.net, search for gretsch in the box. It's the fourth one down, below three cheaper Streamliners, all still active.

Stupid deal of the hour may have just got me.

Edited by DougO

I had said maybe last year that I didn’t really like playing my tele (squire). Since I got this Fender Japan Tele it’s all I play. It has a great neck profile and sounds amazing.

I had also mentioned I was having some problems with certain chords (mostly barre chords) and with this neck I seem to have way less problems. I have increased speed of things like Bm to F pretty dramatically.

It also seems to weigh less even though there is no comfort cut(s).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Official NGD. My first Martin, GPC 11e, an "affordable" all solid model. 
Ordered it from MF stupid deal on the Fourth, $250 off, and couldn't pass it up. I was pleased with the looks. Sounds pretty dang good strummed, as well, but I can't really play because I sliced up the tip of my fretting ring finger a few days ago. I think it needs a slight neck adjustment, but should be all good.
martingpc11e.jpg

Very nice DougO!
  • Like 3

Another stupid deal at musicans friend. I don't know how these compare to the Hercules stand.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

PLMS7 7-Guitar Folding Stand Black

The Proline PLMS7 7-Guitar Folding Stand is simple, and rock-solid stable. The stand folds for easy transport. Proline PLMS7 stand holds up to 7 electric guitars safely at home, in the studio or on stage.
Was:  Regular Price $94.99Savings:  Your Savings $40.00Your Price $54.99
Deal ends in 20:38:29

Limited quantity-while supplies last

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Another stupid deal at musicans friend. I don't know how these compare to the Hercules stand.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

PLMS7 7-Guitar Folding Stand Black

The Proline PLMS7 7-Guitar Folding Stand is simple, and rock-solid stable. The stand folds for easy transport. Proline PLMS7 stand holds up to 7 electric guitars safely at home, in the studio or on stage.
Was:  Regular Price $94.99Savings:  Your Savings $40.00Your Price $54.99
Deal ends in 20:38:29

Limited quantity-while supplies last

I have some version of that... maybe Hercules(?).  It holds four or five instruments, but I use it even if I'm only trying to temporarily put down one or two guitars.  The multi-stand is one of the most cost-effective musical things I own (I think mine was $80 or so).  

The little individual fold-out guitar stands are just inherently unstable to even a gentle bump from the side.  I don't trust them at all, and I almost never use them anymore.  If I'm in a spot where there's not enough space for the multi-stand, I just leave the instrument's case on the floor and lay it down between takes.  

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

The little individual fold-out guitar stands are just inherently unstable

I'll use them if I have a corner to put them in. If they get bumped, there's nowhere for it to go.  I have a 7 spot rack for stuff I play regularly. Everything else hangs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had that exact proline stand and it is a perfectly good multi stand. You need to be a little careful putting guitars in so as not to bang them against each other, but I used it for several years, it folds up and moves easily, the foam stayed in good shape, etc.

I replaced it not long ago with a string swing guy that is nicer looking but also more compact while holding the guitars a bit more securely (from being placed such that they bump each other or move at all)

IMG_3190.thumb.jpeg.93001d7c528fdc7ac612a9973d5d0a9e.jpeg

the only thing I don't like about the A frame stands is that I always seem to have the guitar at a deeper angle, or if I have the stand in a tight corner I have to watch the placement so the headstock doesn't bang the wall. *edit* - i think doug is talking about the same thing basically

perfect timing talking about guitars out of cases - do you guys have any room humidifiers you love? just checked wirecutter and they like a Levoit that is probably bigger than I need for my office, but I want to get something where I can set desired humidity and leave it alone (which seems possible)

https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Humidifiers-Ultrasonic-Vaporizer-Essential/dp/B08HS45N13?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I had that exact proline stand and it is a perfectly good multi stand. You need to be a little careful putting guitars in so as not to bang them against each other, but I used it for several years, it folds up and moves easily, the foam stayed in good shape, etc.

I replaced it not long ago with a string swing guy that is nicer looking but also more compact while holding the guitars a bit more securely (from being placed such that they bump each other or move at all)

IMG_3190.thumb.jpeg.93001d7c528fdc7ac612a9973d5d0a9e.jpeg

the only thing I don't like about the A frame stands is that I always seem to have the guitar at a deeper angle, or if I have the stand in a tight corner I have to watch the placement so the headstock doesn't bang the wall. *edit* - i think doug is talking about the same thing basically

Right. It means the guitar has to sit out further on the floor, so it's more likely be inadvertently bumped or kicked. Of even if you have it on an a-stand in the middle of the room, if it's leaning more it is bit more likely somebody will nudge it trying to walk past. The bottom part of an a-stand is crucial, too. The guitar needs to sit snugly enough so it stays fairly upright. If it has too much play the guitar slumps more and the neck sticks out more horizontally as a result.

• Hook 'Em 1