The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've always rocked various ernie balls as my go to strings. I've got some yellow homies and some pink homies (10s and 9s respectively) in my drawer. Historically I've gone through lots of the purple 11s but I did some experimenting with lighter string gauges and think I am settling back on 10s. 

I was just trying to figure out what shipped with my goldtop LP recently because they still feel fresh and I like them. GIbson says they ship them with 10s and the feels right, and internet scouring makes me think that the Gibson strings that may ship on these guitars that have alternating brass and nickel ball ends are the "vintage reissue" electric strings. These are pure nickel, which also points to some difference existing that made me even stop to notice that the strings are different at all. I don't think I would ever discern the difference between EBs and D'Addarios without looking at the color of the ball ends, and I prefer EBs mostly because the individual paper envelopes make for a tidier string change process.

Anyways, I'm going to order some gibson vintage reissue strings.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Never heard of 'em, thanks.  I've typically used D'Addario XL, but I'm considering Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys.  Anybody play those?

They're fine.  The GHS Boomers and EB Slinkys are fine too.  I usually grab 10-46, except for my 52 AV Tele, which gets 9s or 9.5s due to that baseball bat neck.  

Edited by dcbc

Grabbed these at Guitar Center, after the out-of-stock string display got an end around by a somewhat industrious employee who found a pack in the back.  So to speak.

I hate Guitar Center.

Dropped the guitar off at a new tech's place for a jack repair, restring and setup.  $85 total.  Seems fair, hope he's good.  Claims to have worked for Gibson USA for years.  We'll see.

101107000000000-00-600x600.jpg

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I've always rocked various ernie balls as my go to strings. I've got some yellow homies and some pink homies (10s and 9s respectively) in my drawer. Historically I've gone through lots of the purple 11s but I did some experimenting with lighter string gauges and think I am settling back on 10s. 

I was just trying to figure out what shipped with my goldtop LP recently because they still feel fresh and I like them. GIbson says they ship them with 10s and the feels right, and internet scouring makes me think that the Gibson strings that may ship on these guitars that have alternating brass and nickel ball ends are the "vintage reissue" electric strings. These are pure nickel, which also points to some difference existing that made me even stop to notice that the strings are different at all. I don't think I would ever discern the difference between EBs and D'Addarios without looking at the color of the ball ends, and I prefer EBs mostly because the individual paper envelopes make for a tidier string change process.

Anyways, I'm going to order some gibson vintage reissue strings.

My favorite strings, especially for Gibson style guitars. Love them.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ok so you can confirm that these homies alternate nickel and brass string ball ends?

SEGHVR10-large.jpg

Enjoy them. They keep the same tone from when you first put them on until you change them. Mellower than most others. I think they give a creamier tone when you move into distortion. Just my opinion. 

Unwound. listen to Deej not me obviously. I don’t have it in front of me anyways.

Goredho keep us updated on the duesenberg. That Isbell vid I linked is from the concert that was released as the live album “Live from Alabama”, which is honestly my favorite Isbell album and I kinda want that guitar just for that. He seems to play it throughout.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Unwound. listen to Deej not me obviously. I don’t have it in front of me anyways.

Goredho keep us updated on the duesenberg. That Isbell vid I linked is from the concert that was released as the live album “Live from Alabama”, which is honestly my favorite Isbell album and I kinda want that guitar just for that. He seems to play it throughout.

Will do, I haven’t had a chance to play it yet.  Busy work day.  Not sure if this is exactly what Isbell plays.  They have a few variations on this model.  This one has some interesting things going on.  Basically neck P90, bridge humbucker and a piezo wildcard.

IMG_2004.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The only two unwound strings on the ones I buy are the high E and the B. 

Story apparently is his aunt gave him that nickname when he was a little kid because he could play bluegrass on multiple stringed instruments.

I remember thinking if you’re gonna call yourself that you better be the real deal. I think he is, and seems really genuine as well. Doesn’t feel douchey to me at all. So I’m cool with it. Fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The G on my Strat is unwound, but it's been on there so long I can't remember the brand.  The D'Addarios I used to buy had a wound G.  I guess it's less common. 

Way back when, I was playing 11's because I thought I was a badass and it helped me stay in tune.  Maybe it's more common in heavier sets?

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I play 10s w an unwound G on everything but my big Gretsch. On that one I use 11’s w a wound G ‘cause I feel the added tension makes the top resonate better. Pretty sure I’m right.

Wound G has lower tension than plain string.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Story apparently is his aunt gave him that nickname when he was a little kid because he could play bluegrass on multiple stringed instruments.

I remember thinking if you’re gonna call yourself that you better be the real deal. I think he is, and seems really genuine as well. Doesn’t feel douchey to me at all. So I’m cool with it. Fwiw.

Feels pretty douchey.

(Has a Johnny Football vibe to it)

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

I generally don't like "guitar dudes". Like, I've never been to a G3 show and have no interest in going to one, I appreciate strong instrumentalists but I don't appreciate instrumental acrobats, or at least I don't appreciate viewing feats of instrumental acrobatics outside of the context of songs where it adds to it. Something like Eruption gets a pass because fucking Van Halen rocks outside of just shredding and even then I'm not going to play it all the time.

For a long time I have perceived Billy Strings as a "guitar dude" of that type. But, I think I'm at least partially wrong and have started to nibble at his music. His name is part of what gave me that perception.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Something like Eruption gets a pass because fucking Van Halen rocks outside of just shredding and even then I'm not going to play it all the time.

Plus, it's barely a minute and a half long.

I have a special fondness for that track.  When we rolled into the parking lot of The Checkerdome (St. Louis) in the spring of 1979 for VH's first headlining tour, we were jamming to KSHE, the local (and legendary) rock station.  "Eruption" came on.  That parking lot looked like a set from "Dazed & Confused", full of muscle cars, and I swear every one of them had the windows down with "Eruption" blasting.  It was deafening and awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

Will do, I haven’t had a chance to play it yet.  Busy work day.  Not sure if this is exactly what Isbell plays.  They have a few variations on this model.  This one has some interesting things going on.  Basically neck P90, bridge humbucker and a piezo wildcard.

IMG_2004.jpeg

Got some time with it last night and this morning.  Bottom line -- its a fine guitar.  It plays, sounds, looks and feels amazing.  Some things I really like:

• The quality, components, fit & finish is unlike any other guitar I've encountered; its hard to explain or quantify, but this guitar just feels like a precision made piece of equipment any time you interact with it, whether its playing it, turning a knob, stringing the vibrato, tuning it up, etc...
  • The tremolo system is really cool, better than a Bigsby.  Easier to string, highly adjustable for where you want the arm to be, smooth as silk and stays in tune
  • The tone and variety of sounds.   It's a bright guitar with some jingle to its jangle, especially when you mix in the piezo.  That said, you can get smooth as butter, airy and ambient, dark and bluesy or biting and feral.  I wouldn't reach for it if I was in a hard rock or metal band, but I don't go into those waters all that often.  At times it reminds me of a Rickenbacker, at times it reminds me of a Tele, sometimes it reminds me of an ES-339.  If you go the digital route like I have, using the neck + piezo through an acoustic guitar impulse response sounds surprisingly... acoustic.  Good enough for my live needs, anyway, where I don't want to be carting around a bunch of different instruments.
  • The neck is great, a medium D, probably about like a Gibson 59 in terms of thickness.  They plek it at the factory before it leaves the door, polish the frets, etc...  Its set up and playable out of the box, however...

Their editorial string choice is kind of a head scratcher.  Duesenberg strings and sets up all their guitars with some hybrid 10/50s.  So basically the lowest 3 strings are from a set of 11s, the top 3 strings are from a set of 10s.  I didn't like it, so I found some pure nickel 10s lying around and strung it up with that.  Much better for my tastes.  The warmth of the pure nickel helps tame some of the guitar's inherent brightness, too.  I don't know if I'll need to adjust anything with the different strings, still felt set up well with the change to me.

The electronics/pickup combinations shake out like this:

Pickup selector pos 1:  Straight bridge humbucker
Pickup selector pos 2:  Coil split bridge humbucker + P90 neck
Pickup selector pos 3: Straight P90 neck

When you flip a little switch on the pickguard, you activate the piezo in the bridge.  Now if you turn the tone pot clockwise from the mid point you are mixing in the piezo with whatever pickups you have selected otherwise.  The piezo is extra bright and jangly, and you can get some really interesting things mixing it in subtly or not-so-subtly.

Here's a tone demo with it through my axe fx modeller:

• 0:04 - Neck P90 + Full Bridge Piezo into Martin OM impulse response (pseudo acoustic guitar)
  • 0:42 - Neck P90 into Fender Vibrolux
  • 1:08 - Neck P90 into Klon Centaur into Fender Vibrolux
  • 1:33 - Neck P90 + Bridge Humbucker into Klon Centaur into Fender Vibrolux
  • 1:55 - Bridge Humbucker into Treble Booster into Klon Centaur into Fender Vibrolux

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3