The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I went to Carter’s last week while in Nashville to get some boots. I thought I would drop in and see what they had. It was disappointing, pretty much like all of Nashville. Once again, just cuz it’s old don’t make it valuable, nor does it mean it will sound good. It’s just fucking old. This becomes very obvious when you can play 4 or 5 back to back. 

What did impress me was they were really fucking accommodating about allowing you to just pull one down and play it, AND inspect it. You don’t often see that when fucking around with old Martin’s, and 50’s and 60’s Fenders and Gibson’s. Well, not without some asshole bird dogging you. 

That said I am still of the opinion that If you’re looking for high quality vintage guitars just go to Norm’s. They are still the gold standard. 

Pulled my T-60 out of the closet tonight. 

I took the old Gibson into a local shop (that's been open for 30 years) to get it appraised for insurance purposes.   Told the owner about my pristine T-60, and he thinks I can get 900 or so for it.  

I respect the shit out of it, but I never play it, so I'm really considering selling it and getting a tele or strat. If I get 900, that's a big chunk of the money towards something really cool that I would be excited to play more often.   

it's just hard to give up a '79 anything that's so clean. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

What did impress me was they were really fucking accommodating about allowing you to just pull one down and play it, AND inspect it. You don’t often see that when fucking around with old Martin’s, and 50’s and 60’s Fenders and Gibson’s. Well, not without some asshole bird dogging you. 

I ve bought a couple things from Carter's. They have always been very pleasant to deal with, whether Walter or anyone else.

Their pricing since the buy out has been optimistic to put it kindly though

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, G650 said:

I ve bought a couple things from Carter's. They have always been very pleasant to deal with, whether Walter or anyone else.

Their pricing since the buy out has been optimistic to put it kindly though

I did not know they changed ownership? But it does explain some of the odd nuances I felt while there. 

Rep called me.today because the Strat was headed to the Plek machine and he forgot to ask me what strings I wanted. It comes from the factory with 9's so I asked if they would set it up with 10's. Said no problem and they would adjust everything for 10s for no charge. We will see how that goes.  Just checked my invoice and they threw in two extra sets of Ernie Ball regular Slinkys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 4:46 AM, tbone_ said:

Ok. What is this?

It is an Ibenez TOD10N, Tim Henson Signature Nylon string

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TOD10NBlk--ibanez-tod10n-tim-henson-signature-nylon-acoustic-electric-guitar-black

He plays it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSBBEDAGOTc&t=4s

Edited by Fastbreak
  • Like 1

As mentioned upthread, I'm considering selling the Peavey because of the thin neck.  I'm playing the old Gibson all the time, and I'm not good enough to go from the fat neck to the thin neck without it fucking me up. 

I had the Gibson appraised at a local shop (for insurance purposes) and the guy there offered to take the Peavey on consignment for 20%.  He discouraged me from seliing it online; he says internet buyers are assholes, and no matter how accurately you describe the ax, they will piss and moan about it and demand money back. 

Thoughts on the 20%?  Seems righteous to me. 

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

As mentioned upthread, I'm considering selling the Peavey because of the thin neck.  I'm playing the old Gibson all the time, and I'm not good enough to go from the fat neck to the thin neck without it fucking me up. 

I had the Gibson appraised at a local shop (for insurance purposes) and the guy there offered to take the Peavey on consignment for 20%.  He discouraged me from seliing it online; he says internet buyers are assholes, and no matter how accurately you describe the ax, they will piss and moan about it and demand money back. 

Thoughts on the 20%?  Seems righteous to me. 

That's about right for that price bucket. High end guitars usually consign for about 15%

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I guess this is a "get off my lawn" thing, but I had to google Tim Henson.

17 hours ago, Deej said:

Guitar shipped out today. I'm not a huge fan of Pau Ferro most of the time, as most seems really light, but I picked out the darkest one they had and I think it looks pretty good.

MX23018546-detail2-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

I have a 60’s Classic Player with Pau Ferro. I gave it several treatments with this stuff and it really darkened the board permanently and it does not come off on your fingers. 

https://www.montysguitars.com/en-us/products/montys-montypresso-relic-wax

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I've seen some videos of guys using that stuff. I'm pretty happy with the color of that board. It's the really light ones that I can't stand. 

I got mine for next to nothing. I told myself if I ended up liking it I would search out one with rosewood. After spending a couple of months with it I really don’t see the need. People turn their nose up at Pau Ferro but I’m getting along with it just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2023 at 12:04 AM, tbone_ said:

Thanks but nope. Gotta be sunburst.

Just ran across this one on eBay. Unfortunately someone added a middle pickup and another switch. Starting bid is $955, auction ends tomorrow. Buy It Now is $1800 lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145318795438?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=f7jKi5wnTFa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bJTNX8iXTSy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_1546.jpeg

That might be the ugliest Strat I've ever seen.

Boo that middle pickup.

And it’s kinda not really a strat. The idea is one or two P 90s with a Gibson scale length so really a Les Paul junior in Strat clothing.

It’s such a crazy bastard child, which is why I want one. I think the sunburst ones with the two P90s are cool looking.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I need to sell off some of my cheaper guitars to make room for more good guitars. The local music shop isn't much of one any more, and now they want 30% for consignments. I could probably do better at GC or a pawn shop, so fuck that shit. I don't like shipping guitars and don't really do reverb. Is there a guitar shop in the Austin area or central Texas that buys/ sells / trades a lot of student/wannabe level stuff?

12 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Just ran across this one on eBay. Unfortunately someone added a middle pickup and another switch. Starting bid is $955, auction ends tomorrow. Buy It Now is $1800 lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145318795438?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=f7jKi5wnTFa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bJTNX8iXTSy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_1546.jpeg

I like the jacuzzi timer

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I need to sell off some of my cheaper guitars to make room for more good guitars. The local music shop isn't much of one any more, and now they want 30% for consignments. I could probably do better at GC or a pawn shop, so fuck that shit. I don't like shipping guitars and don't really do reverb. Is there a guitar shop in the Austin area or central Texas that buys/ sells / trades a lot of student/wannabe level stuff?

It's rare I don't get sell what I post on Craigslist within a week for what I ask for it. Never had a bad transaction here in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1