The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You're not wrong.  Of the mega-talents, the chameleons end up being session guys.  The iconoclasts end up being guitar heroes.  I've never really thought about it, but it's true -- Page, Beck, Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler, Eric Johnson, EVH, Grissom, Walsh, even guys like The Edge and Jack White and Gibbons, immediately recognizable.  Clapton is probably closer to being not as identifiable. 

Fascinating.

Mine are SRV, Mike Campbell and Grissom.  All unique...instantly recognizable.

Next on the list for me.  Rich Brotherton.  Can play anything, any style........always fantastic....never recognizable. For that reason, maybe he should be first in my list.  

Me, too, but mine was purple sparkle. Bent the entire frame using a pile of dirt as a ramp. It was summer and my parents didn't  buy me a new bike until Christmas. I was the kid running alongside all ny friends on their bikes for six months. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Ummmm. That’snothowanyofthisworks.gif.

The correct response is: “NGD coming [insert date].”

Listen, if it was sonic blue or nitro finish it would be done.

For all the bike talk, Diamondback Harry Larry > Sissy bars and a banana seat

P1060077.jpg

Fight me!

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I was fortunate that I grew up at the beach and we all started on beach cruisers. Then mountain bikes took off.

Let me guess...

Spoiler

BlackSCBprofilesmall.jpg

With a wide pair of NERF bars so you could ride someone on the bars and the cops would hassle you for it...  good times!

PS my brother still has his to this very day. 

I remember getting a Ross BMX for xmas and a can of turtle wax in my stocking.  Then had to spend hours waxing that steel POS so that it wouldn't rust out in year one.  Got a job as a paper boy and bought a KOS Kruiser.  Faster than a beach cruiser and could race it on saturdays. 

32 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

If I can download one player’s ability it’s John Mayer. Not a lot of guys can acoustic and electric like him.

Here he goes in dry. If I could do that I’d never leave the house (except to tour and make millions):

Speaking of Mayer, look who he brought on stage earlier this month.

Remember getting a photo with my brother, a couple of his friends, and Steve Miller back in the early '80s when he played with his high school band at a reunion concert event. I knew that he was older, because I can do math, but I didn't realize that he was 80. (Steve, not John.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I can download one player’s ability it’s John Mayer. Not a lot of guys can acoustic and electric like him.

Here he goes in dry. If I could do that I’d never leave the house (except to tour and make millions):

Dude can straight up rip. I’d be ok with his chops as long as I didn’t have to play that abortion of a guitar.
  • Haha 1

In the spirit of young and old, I thought this was pretty cool…

You can see Jackson look over a few times with that “damn, dude” look.
I finally saw Billy Strings a couple weeks ago and was stoked when he covered that song toward the end of his set. I saw Jackson Browne himself about a year prior, that was a treat. I've always thought that's an incredibly well written song.

It's funny, I went to both those shows with the same friend and one was on the UC Berkeley campus and the other on the Stanford campus. Ampitheaters both.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

tying in with the whole criteria for best guitarists between technical proficiency and creating music that moves you...i saw billy strings live at moody this past summer and while that guy's speed and ability to play is other worldly and just mind-blowing...i genuinely cannot think of another concert in my life where i was more bored and just counting down the minutes until i could leave after the novelty of the playing was gone a few songs in.

Your verdict on Billy Strings?
He was fantastic. Most people around us were on their 3rd show in a row, "you can't see just one, you never knownwhat he's gonna do!" He played a about 3 hrs with a decent intermission in the middle. I thought he peaked toward the end of the 1st set and beginning 2nd, then he got a little too jam-band me for me. Come on Billy, you've been playing the same damn scale over the same progression for 8 minutes - Get on with it! Finally, he won me back with Runnin' on Empty and the encore was fantastic.

That said, the way things stacked up I ended up at 5 different shows that week and seeing Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade a couple nights later wiped the floor with anything else I've seen. That was music like I never knew it could be. I'm still buzzing from that show. One highlight, about halfway through the show he plays "Pigs on the Wing Pt 1", then proceeded to play the entire Animals album in its entirety note for note before going back i to his own catalog. Ill never miss another Les Claypool show.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

He was fantastic. Most people around us were on their 3rd show in a row, "you can't see just one, you never knownwhat he's gonna do!" He played a about 3 hrs with a decent intermission in the middle. I thought he peaked toward the end of the 1st set and beginning 2nd, then he got a little too jam-band me for me. Come on Billy, you've been playing the same damn scale over the same progression for 8 minutes - Get on with it! Finally, he won me back with Runnin' on Empty and the encore was fantastic.

That said, the way things stacked up I ended up at 5 different shows that week and seeing Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade a couple nights later wiped the floor with anything else I've seen. That was music like I never knew it could be. I'm still buzzing from that show. One highlight, about halfway through the show he plays "Pigs on the Wing Pt 1", then proceeded to play the entire Animals album in its entirety note for note before going back i to his own catalog. Ill never miss another Les Claypool show.

Les Claypool and anyone he plays with is ridiculously good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Les Claypool and anyone he plays with is ridiculously good.
It blew my mind. The only thing i ever heard that sounded as big and full was Devo a few years ago, and I get to see them again in a couple weeks.

BTW, @jimmyjazz , one of the other bands I saw in that 5 show marathon was your daughter's. While maybe not as mind blowing as Les Claypool, my friends and I all thought they were better than the headliner (Amyl and the Sniffers) and the crowd in the GA level of Oakland's Fox Theater seamed to agree. Super fun set.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

It blew my mind.

Was this the first time you've seen Les, or just the Brigade?

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

BTW, @jimmyjazz , one of the other bands I saw in that 5 show marathon was your daughter's. While maybe not as mind blowing as Les Claypool, my friends and I all thought they were better than the headliner (Amyl and the Sniffers) and the crowd in the GA level of Oakland's Fox Theater seamed to agree. Super fun set.

Fucking rad.

13 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Oh wow, thanks!  That's good to hear.  Yeah, I'm not totally sold on Amyl, but they are kind to take the girls out on tour with them.  AND, Amyl will be opening 4 stadium shows for Foo Fighters next summer, so we're hoping DS can somehow worm their way on that bill.  Yeah, right.  (At least Pat Smear is a fan, if that counts for anything.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

1st time seeing Les. Primus comes through in the Spring and I intend to be there. I believe he lives around here too.

Yeah he is a native of your area, that's why I'm a bit surprised this was first time you saw him. I caught Primus a bunch in the 90s, and the first and second iterations of the  Frog Brigade in the early aughts. All amazing shows. He is one of the most talented people I've ever come across while also being one of the most hilarious.

• Like 1