The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Yeah he is a native of your area, that's why I'm a bit surprised this was first time you saw him. I caught Primus a bunch in the 90s, and the first and second iterations of the  Frog Brigade in the early aughts. All amazing shows. He is one of the most talented people I've ever come across while also being one of the most hilarious.
You gotta remember that I'm a transplant here of 10 years now. Like Jimmy, I was only really familiar with Jerry, and the Beaver one, from Primus. In fact, I walked into the Frog Brigade show with no idea what to expect and only recognized the Pink Floyd covers. They completely blew my mind, and the mushrooms we ate beforehand didn't hurt!

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I need to do a deep dive into Primus.  I'm pretty much only familiar with "Jerry" (which is a rad tune).

profileIcon_p7ghl2xy33b01.jpg?width=256&

But seriously though, Sailing the Seas of Cheese is as good a place as any to start. Tommy the Cat is another banger.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

mushrooms we ate beforehand didn't hurt!

My man. Related,  I recommend acid for Space Mountain at Disney World.

I do give you credit for Wynona's Big Brown Beaver, who eats Taco Bell. Southbound Pachyderm is another pretty good song from that album.

Somewhat surprised you guys don't know My Name is Mud, that was like one of the biggest songs of 1993.

My man. Related,  I recommend acid for Space Mountain at Disney World.

I do give you credit for Wynona's Big Brown Beaver, who eats Taco Bell. Southbound Pachyderm is another pretty good song from that album.

Somewhat surprised you guys don't know My Name is Mud, that was like one of the biggest songs of 1993.

Haha. Twice now I've played shows after ingesting mushrooms. Once at a Halloween party with Dirty Years and once at a pretty decent sized venue with a good crowd wirh The Koffs. It's like acrobatics without a net! I don't know that I'd recommend it, but I can't promise it won't happen again.

In 1993 I was a young parent if soon to be two. There wasn't much time or money for shows in those days. I'm still catching up on the 90's.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I saw them about 20 years ago. Strong

I don't even really like their music, but oh man do they put on a show.  I can't imagine tripping balls and seeing them.  It could be epic or scar you for life.

140709445-1412344045824151-7390579588278

EI0C8859-960x640.jpg

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAxwayne_coyne_the_flaming_lips_gettyimages

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, sidis said:

tying in with the whole criteria for best guitarists between technical proficiency and creating music that moves you...i saw billy strings live at moody this past summer and while that guy's speed and ability to play is other worldly and just mind-blowing...i genuinely cannot think of another concert in my life where i was more bored and just counting down the minutes until i could leave after the novelty of the playing was gone a few songs in.

Forgot your gummies huh?

• Hook 'Em 1

Stoked to see the Les love. I first saw Primus when they headline for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour. Some friends had 10th row and I convinced them to trade with me just for Primus. They were confused. 

Several years later I saw them with Incubus opening in a smaller theater back when no one knew who Incubus was. 

I’ve seen them many times and in many iterations including Oysterhead and when they did the entire Farewell to Kings album. I’m a big fan. Check out the Primus Carson of Have a Cigar. 

And can you imagine?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Several years later I saw them with Incubus opening in a smaller theater back when no one knew who Incubus was

I'm about 99% sure I saw that tour. I know I saw both of then at that time, I'm almost positive it was then together at the Boathouse in Norfolk Va.

• Like 1

I bought one of these.

IMG_9283.thumb.jpeg.73dd49620cabec3a1e4c745d0dc3d172.jpeg
IMG_9286.thumb.jpeg.fd9e57e1d28486e174157bdd49d13af7.jpeg

IMG_9284.thumb.jpeg.03702ce1d00d37f94cc3539ce792c1a5.jpeg

IMG_9287.thumb.jpeg.fddd15d99bdfa471488b9aaeed28b398.jpeg
IMG_9288.thumb.jpeg.bf7fa33cfbfe761e47815cd65585c619.jpeg

It’s not perfect, but it checks the boxes of:

[✔️] Nice curves /Not Heavy
[✔️] No knobs/switches in the strum path
[✔️] Sounds good 
[✔️] Actually 24.75” scale 
[✔️] 12” radius (or smaller)
[✔️] Epi LP Special* w/ Strat body

ISSUES:

1) Tuning keys seem shoddier than similar ones on my Vintage Modified Jag. (Look the same, don’t feel the same.)

2) When the “Series” is activated by pulling the push/pull of the volume knob, it appears to cut the bridge pickup. 
-No difference between the neck pickup & middle toggle position.

-MUTE/Kill when toggled to bridge.

3) The toggle switch feels kind of cheap. It really wants to go back to the middle rather than stay at in 1st or 3rd position, but it will stay there when you put it there.

4) * Appears to be nearly double the price of an Epi LP Special.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-paranormal-strat-o-sonic/0377035527.html

IMG_9285.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

There's a reason for that. 

I like blue.

This 12 string is on sale.

IMG_9313.thumb.png.ae5d54535327713749a0c56ce3fc990f.png

But I like the blue one.

IMG_9315.thumb.jpeg.e44b658ee99289c301d26d5989189ee1.jpeg

…but it’s not on sale.

IMG_9314.thumb.png.5c9ae16ebe79b96d8126393d880fe49e.png

https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/jazzmaster/paranormal-jazzmaster-xii/0377050502.html

I’ll pass on the red 12. Still might try for a deal on the blue through Tone Shop’s 15% off everything in the store (new item) deal in October.

Only $20 more to get the blue.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 2:35 PM, Buzzrock said:

Stoked to see the Les love. I first saw Primus when they headline for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour. Some friends had 10th row and I convinced them to trade with me just for Primus. They were confused. 

Several years later I saw them with Incubus opening in a smaller theater back when no one knew who Incubus was. 

I’ve seen them many times and in many iterations including Oysterhead and when they did the entire Farewell to Kings album. I’m a big fan. Check out the Primus Carson of Have a Cigar. 

And can you imagine?

Primus Sucks!

• Hook 'Em 1

I like blue.
This 12 string is on sale.
IMG_9313.thumb.png.ae5d54535327713749a0c56ce3fc990f.png
But I like the blue one.
IMG_9315.thumb.jpeg.e44b658ee99289c301d26d5989189ee1.jpeg
…but it’s not on sale.
IMG_9314.thumb.png.5c9ae16ebe79b96d8126393d880fe49e.png
https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/jazzmaster/paranormal-jazzmaster-xii/0377050502.html

I’ll pass on the red 12. Still might try for a deal on the blue through Tone Shop’s 15% off everything in the store (new item) deal in October.
Only $20 more to get the blue.

That’s pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I do, too, but I don't think blue sells as well as other colors. 

Well… these Gibson knockoffs (Stratosonic) are probably going to sell better in Gibson colors. This semi-translucent blue with the grain coming through is an odd look.

On the other hand, it seems like half of Fender/Squier’s models include a Lake Placid Blue or a Sonic/Daphne Blue option.

Other guitar companies don’t seem to release as many blue options as Fender/Squier.

FIREFLY makes an SRV

So the Firefly people keep adding new options to their Chinese made DTC business and the latest options include: Relic, Stainless Steel Frets, Compound Radius (don’t know range), neck slot truss rod wheel adjuster, and locking tuners.

From the website:

IMG_9326.thumb.png.a05a73073a0d49468890cbf6ea058587.png
IMG_9327.thumb.jpeg.44f127df32b4707c78095b0460f04b95.jpeg

IMG_9328.thumb.jpeg.3dd836481b61cf423885b4514e309187.jpeg

https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/sg/products/firefly-ffst-classic-relic-model-electric-guitars-sunburst-color

…And then these photos are from the Facebook group fan page posted by a guy who bought one. Pretty nice for $200 + shipping (~$30-ish).

IMG_9329.jpeg

IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_9331.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9338.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

IMG_9340.jpeg

IMG_9341.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

Our guitar player bought one of those Fireflys as a back up he says. It sounded like shit. We all asked him to not play it in practice anymore it sounded so bad. I think he's half deaf cause he refuses to wear ear protection.

Speaking The Koffs, my biggest fear with that band has been realized. Last night the singer blasts out in our group text that the founder and original bass player is moving back, so I can move to lead guitar!

I'm glad they have enough respect that they don't wanna lose me, but I dont think i want to play guitar in that band. We don't need another guitar and frankly, imo, I'm a pretty good bass player and I think I make those guys sound better than they are. I dont wanna be sitting there playing an unnecessary guitar while listening and second guessing a bass player who's not better than me - fucking up all the parts I spent the last year and a half developing.

That was a good run of no drama The Koffs had. I guess we'll see how it plays out. We are supposed to fonally record in a couple weeks, but I'm not sure I wanna record the bass parts if I'm not gonna be the bassist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Funny you say that, my 1st thought was a Tele, and quickly realized the V into a Marshall would be the proper match to his Mustang into a Fender combo.

Who knows, I've only met the guy once and he's great. But I had several people tell me I was a big improvement on bass over him after our 1st handful of shows and I've gotten way better in my parts since then. Maybe he'll be fine, but I'm against anything that doesn't make us better. I dont wanna be in a shitty band.

Fuck that.  Quit.  Life's too short to get reassigned.

My long-time on-again-off-again bandmate floated the idea last week about "jamming" with his girlfriend's son on drums.  I told him OK, as a one-off, and (as expected) he said, no I really want to gig again.  There are two problems with that:  one, the kid isn't a very good drummer, and two, I've launched a new project with two old friends and we are really finding our own way.  Sorry, dude.  Can't do it.  He is PISSED.

• Like 1

Funny you say that, my 1st thought was a Tele, and quickly realized the V into a Marshall would be the proper match to his Mustang into a Fender combo.

Who knows, I've only met the guy once and he's great. But I had several people tell me I was a big improvement on bass over him after our 1st handful of shows and I've gotten way better in my parts since then. Maybe he'll be fine, but I'm against anything that doesn't make us better. I dont wanna be in a shitty band.

Those were just groupies trying to sleep with you man
  • Like 1

Ya, coincidently most of the Dirty Years crew was already planning jamming tonight for the 1st time in ages.

Plus I've got a whole cannon of shit that I've been half ass finishing with a great drummer that's lost momentum. That stalled for a few reasons including not finding the right bass player. It finally hit me that I'm the bass player and it's either a recording only project where I play guitars, or I find a guitar player. Guitar players are easy to cone by.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1