The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 hours ago, Deej said:

I know. I just wondered if there was a single person who would talk me down. 

Maybe not a single person. And the married persons would probably just live vicariously through your extravagant guilt-free guitar purchases.

Edited by DougO

Gretsch stuff looks so cool, but I only hear that it's dogshit.

I would certainly take exception to that take. I love my Gretsch's so much that I have Gretsch pickups in some of my Gibsons.

That said, I think a lot of people's experience is with the budget Korean Gretsch's. Gretsch should do a better job of differentiating their Pro vs Budget models. It's literally like the difference in Squire vs Fender Custom Shop.

What's linked is Korean and likely Dogshit. Anything Electromatic, or starting w a 5 is Korean and I would not bang.

I have two Gretsch guitars and I love them both.   One is like that red one but with a P90 in the neck and filtertron in the bridge.  I'm going to replace that bridge with a better version, but I only play that neck P90 and LOVE it.   I also have one of the big hollow body guitars.  Completely different that anything else I own and what it does, it does perfectly.  I can' never the model numbers but I really like both of these.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

emoji849.png

I would certainly take exception to that take. I love my Gretsch's so much that I have Gretsch pickups in some of my Gibsons.

That said, I think a lot of people's experience is with the budget Korean Gretsch's. Gretsch should do a better job of differentiating their Pro vs Budget models. It's literally like the difference in Squire vs Fender Custom Shop.

What's linked is Korean and likely Dogshit. Anything Electromatic, or starting w a 5 is Korean and I would not bang.

Isbell is one of the guys that isn't a fan of Gretsch quality control.  I believe he said when you buy one, there's a good chance that it will be an un-tunable, un-playable pile of shit. 

I have heard plenty of people that love them, from Chet to Randy Bachman.

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Isbell is one of the guys that isn't a fan of Gretsch quality control.  I believe he said when you buy one, there's a good chance that it will be an un-tunable, un-playable pile of shit. 

Every guitar I've ever picked up

Whenever I hear Gretsch, I think of this guy...

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

• Like 1

Took the 30 day return policy from Harley Benton to send back the HSH as the value proposition wasn't great factoring in the need for all new electronics.  Am now taking a flier on one of their Cabronita style tele's with filtertrons.  I hope this is as playable, but a bit better sounding.  If pickups need to be replaced, should be a bit cheaper replacing 2vs3.  We'll see!

Harley-Benton-TE-90FLT-Deluxe-Series-E-G

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 12/18/2023 at 8:05 PM, Gil Bang said:

I’ve heard him say that about vintage Gretsch, and I’ve heard Chet say the same thing. Modern Japanese pro line Gretsch stuff is consistently good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

Took the 30 day return policy from Harley Benton to send back the HSH as the value proposition wasn't great factoring in the need for all new electronics.  Am now taking a flier on one of their Cabronita style tele's with filtertrons.  I hope this is as playable, but a bit better sounding.  If pickups need to be replaced, should be a bit cheaper replacing 2vs3.  We'll see!

Short one pickguard screw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Goredho said:

I want a Cabronita, but not the reverse headstock, thanks.  Even a Cabronita snakehead would suit me better-talk about a strange guitar!

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

I want a Cabronita, but not the reverse headstock, thanks.  Even a Cabronita snakehead would suit me better-talk about a strange guitar!

I almost pulled the trigger on the pRick 12 string, but its an on-request only order that will take 6-8 weeks to complete and have to be shipped from Thomann in Germany.  I kind of want to make sure Harley Benton's are a more calculated risk before I tie up some disposable music income for that long.

HB has an "official" Reverb store located in the U.S. so anything you buy through that has already made it to the states and is shipped direct to you from Connecticut.  Prices are higher on Reverb by about $80 with free shipping to you, but the same cheaper-priced item from Thomann costs about $80 to ship to the US.  So it evens out to be more or less equal in price whether you order direct from Thomman or the HB US reverb store.  You get the same 30 day return for any reason policy for each.  But there is no international shipping involved if you go the reverb store route.  The Reverb store's stock is not as full as Thomman's.

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s the story on these things? Chinese slave labor but we don’t know how they play yet?

Cheap Chinese guitars with a reputation for punching way above their price point.  Like, in all the "best guitar value" threads on thegearpage.com, Harley Benton is always heavily mentioned as a cheap brand providing a good guitar that can be upgraded to be a great guitar.  They are pretty unashamed about their plagiarism of well-known brands, and are sold exclusively through Thomann in Germany.  They generally cost anywhere from $80 to $350 depending on the model/line/features and apparently have no quality control whatsoever.  They make up for it by having a 30 day return for any reason policy to get a full refund.  You will have to pay to ship it back.  From the people that regularly buy these things, they say it is somewhat of a crap shoot as to what you get, with maybe 3 out of every 4 guitars being keepers with the 4th one having some sort of issue that isn't cheaply curable.  They just return those.

That is why I bought from from their US-located Reverb store.  The guitar has already made it to the states.  Turnaround time to receive the guitar is about like that of any US E-tailer.  If I want to return it, I am only paying to ship it to Connecticut vs Germany.

My sample size of 1 guitar basically aligns with what everyone was saying on TGP.  The HB HSH Fusion cost $350, played well out of the box, and really good after a basic set up.  It would have needed some nut work and a fret polish and its playability would have been great and at least close to that of the guitar it is a rip off of, the 10x as expensive Suhr Modern Pro which I have owned.  It sounded like ass, though, and would have needed to have at least its pickups replaced if not all of its electronics to get anywhere close.  With the original purchase price of the guitar and some new pickups, I would have exceeded the $650 I paid for a Mark Holcomb PRS SE I recently bought which plays and sounds really good with no work.  They were both vying to be my high gain guitar for recording, and I wasn't ever going to keep both.  So I returned the Harley Benton. I was impressed enough by its playability to try something else from them. I don't have anything with filtertrons, so the $249 Cabronita tele is on its way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Now for something completely different. I decided to treat myself for my birthday/Christmas. 2000 54 LP Custom reissue with the staple neck pup. Been looking for a while but I made a lowball offer and the guy accepted so what is a guy to do? I think I have a new house favorite.

46ed2fbf896c5823299d491640eb15c3.jpg

One with the stablemates.
907f2fd5ad4e51b120ef1fd8b9c38c57.jpg
The neck is somewhere between the baseball bat of the R6 and R8 and the fairly skinny profile of my 82 LP Custom. Fits like a glove. Haven’t done a lot of overdriven tones as I just got this evening and I don’t want to wake the neighbors. But it does clean real nice.

Now if I just had more time to play it.

Gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Cheap Chinese guitars with a reputation for punching way above their price point.  Like, in all the "best guitar value" threads on thegearpage.com, Harley Benton is always heavily mentioned as a cheap brand providing a good guitar that can be upgraded to be a great guitar.  They are pretty unashamed about their plagiarism of well-known brands, and are sold exclusively through Thomann in Germany.  They generally cost anywhere from $80 to $350 depending on the model/line/features and apparently have no quality control whatsoever.  They make up for it by having a 30 day return for any reason policy to get a full refund.  You will have to pay to ship it back.  From the people that regularly buy these things, they say it is somewhat of a crap shoot as to what you get, with maybe 3 out of every 4 guitars being keepers with the 4th one having some sort of issue that isn't cheaply curable.  They just return those.

That is why I bought from from their US-located Reverb store.  The guitar has already made it to the states.  Turnaround time to receive the guitar is about like that of any US E-tailer.  If I want to return it, I am only paying to ship it to Connecticut vs Germany.

My sample size of 1 guitar basically aligns with what everyone was saying on TGP.  The HB HSH Fusion cost $350, played well out of the box, and really good after a basic set up.  It would have needed some nut work and a fret polish and its playability would have been great and at least close to that of the guitar it is a rip off of, the 10x as expensive Suhr Modern Pro which I have owned.  It sounded like ass, though, and would have needed to have at least its pickups replaced if not all of its electronics to get anywhere close.  With the original purchase price of the guitar and some new pickups, I would have exceeded the $650 I paid for a Mark Holcomb PRS SE I recently bought which plays and sounds really good with no work.  They were both vying to be my high gain guitar for recording, and I wasn't ever going to keep both.  So I returned the Harley Benton. I was impressed enough by its playability to try something else from them. I don't have anything with filtertrons, so the $249 Cabronita tele is on its way.

HB did a knockoff jim root jazzmaster and it was completely fucked. 

9 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Now for something completely different. I decided to treat myself for my birthday/Christmas. 2000 54 LP Custom reissue with the staple neck pup. Been looking for a while but I made a lowball offer and the guy accepted so what is a guy to do? I think I have a new house favorite.

The neck is somewhere between the baseball bat of the R6 and R8 and the fairly skinny profile of my 82 LP Custom. Fits like a glove. Haven’t done a lot of overdriven tones as I just got this evening and I don’t want to wake the neighbors. But it does clean real nice.

Now this is how you Guitar Pron

12 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Damn!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1