The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 minutes ago, the idoit said:

I can’t recall ever seeing a post ‘70’s photo of Willie playing something other than Trigger.

That was the 1st thing that jumped out at me. I've wondered if Willie takes Trigger everywhere he goes, or if its just his stage guitar. If Willie is sitting under a tree at his home on Maui pickin', is it Trigger in his hands or does Trigger stay tucked away on the Honeysuckle Rose 2 someplace?

That looks like an Epiphone Hummingbird. I can't imagine what he sounds like with steel strings.

Edited by AnotherUTFan

That was the 1st thing that jumped out at me. I've wondered if Willie takes Trigger everywhere he goes, or if its just his stage guitar. If Willie is sitting under a tree at his home on Maui pickin', is it Trigger in his hands or does Trigger stay tucked away on the Honeysuckle Rose 2 someplace?
That looks like an Epiphone Hummingbird. I can't imagine what he sounds like with steel strings.

I saw Willie play a headless Steinberger live at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas back when he thought the IRS might take Trigger.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

That's good lookin. What made you go for the semi hollow?

It's routed and has a sound post under the bridge connecting the top and bottom.  So I it's not built like an archtop.  But it doesn't have a long block in it like a 335.  It sounds, plays, and feeds back like a full hollow and supposedly, the sound post causes sympathetic vibration from the bottom and top like some violins.  I have a 1970 ES335, which is what I think of when I think semi hollow. 

If you mean why didn't I go for the PRS Archtop, the answer is that it looked kind of bulky.  This one weighs just over 4 pounds and plays really well. 

Here's the old 335, the most "even" playing guitar I ever have played. 

8_UHGXurn_B5p_HJMo_Mo_Dqxf_NMb_E8daigt_Z

• Like 4

Looking for a Strat or G&L Legacy...

Only want 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Does anyone know of a shop that will make a custom pick guard? Or how could I fill the hole without it looking like crap?

Debating whether to go SSS, or (more likely) HSS and split the humbucker. Where can I get a wiring diagram because I don't know diddly squat when it comes to wiring.

Looking for a Strat or G&L Legacy...
Only want 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Does anyone know of a shop that will make a custom pick guard? Or how could I fill the hole without it looking like crap?
Debating whether to go SSS, or (more likely) HSS and split the humbucker. Where can I get a wiring diagram because I don't know diddly squat when it comes to wiring.

Any luthier should be able to make a pickguard for you. You may be able to find one precut if you poked around a bit. Maybe on eBay or Reverb.

If you order a Strat pickguard from Warmoth the order form allows you to select material, handed-ness, pickup configuration (including "none" in any of the 3 locations), bridge cut, mounting holes (11 or two different 8 hole configurations), countersink and controls (allowing you to eliminate any/all of volume, tone, tone 2, and 5-way switch).  You could probably install a switched knob to split the humbucker without having to figure out a lever switch.

51 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Any luthier should be able to make a pickguard for you. You may be able to find one precut if you poked around a bit. Maybe on eBay or Reverb.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you order a Strat pickguard from Warmoth the order form allows you to select material, handed-ness, pickup configuration (including "none" in any of the 3 locations), bridge cut, mounting holes (11 or two different 8 hole configurations), countersink and controls (allowing you to eliminate any/all of volume, tone, tone 2, and 5-way switch).  You could probably install a switched knob to split the humbucker without having to figure out a lever switch.

Thanks. Yes, saw that Warmoth makes custom Strat pickguards without breaking a sweat. Will see if they have a G&L template since they have different tremolos.

23 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

what if i have a tele, strat, prs, and les paul.  and two gretsches. and martins and shit.  and basses.

I am on team p bass though.  although I do have a jazz bass.  and a 51 p.

Ya, can I be on like 6 teams; like an unsigned pickup guy? I'll bat for just about anybody not named PRS or Taylor. :D

15 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Beautiful Tele, came from Wildwood it looks like. I bought a guitar from them once, great customer service.

The LP looks like it's in a custom shop case. I can't read whatever is on that 12th fret inlay. Good looking Les Paul, most of them are. Details?

Yep.  Wildwood Thin Skin American Vintage 52.  Has the modern fretboard radius and slightly different pickups than the regular 52 AV.

Les Paul is a 2014 Traditional.  It has the much maligned 100th Anniversary Logo on the 12th fret.  Plays great and I'm not bothered by the logo. 

Paul Reed Smith can make a fire by rubbing two ice cubes together.

Paul Reed Smith built the hospital he was born in.

Paul Reed Smith once went to the Virgin Islands. Now they're just known as The Islands.

Paul Reed Smith won American Idol using sign language.

Paul Reed Smith has a grizzly bear rug in his den. It's not dead- it's just afraid to move.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

It's routed and has a sound post under the bridge connecting the top and bottom.  So I it's not built like an archtop.  But it doesn't have a long block in it like a 335.  It sounds, plays, and feeds back like a full hollow and supposedly, the sound post causes sympathetic vibration from the bottom and top like some violins.  I have a 1970 ES335, which is what I think of when I think semi hollow. 

If you mean why didn't I go for the PRS Archtop, the answer is that it looked kind of bulky.  This one weighs just over 4 pounds and plays really well. 

Here's the old 335, the most "even" playing guitar I ever have played. 

8_UHGXurn_B5p_HJMo_Mo_Dqxf_NMb_E8daigt_Z

This guitar makes my PP hard... I want one of those 

Edited by Bogeywon
  • Like 1

Wow. That sounds like something for the “That’s Just Wrong” thread.

It was weird. But the weirdest thing is that I can’t recall what it sounded like. Willie and Triggers tone are so closely associated in my memory I can’t pull up a picture of him without hearing that guitar.