The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

One simply can't have enough snarks meme here...
You know, all the batterie eventually died in all the Snarks I have floating around and I've never replaced them. I have a great pedal ahead of my amp I go by for my electrics, and the Guitar Tuna app on my phone I use for my acoustics.

That G7 capo looks pretty badass and lets your fingers create the pressure through some kind of hydraulics. Pretty sure they' won a bunch of awards. $44.00

Image result for g7 performance 2 capo-

$40.00 MXR Tap Temo - for delays or literally anything that uses modulation.

Image result for mxr tap tempo

Pick Punch $15

61VoWAYJ+iL._SL1110_.jpg

Puts a gel wrap around the strap we here it meets the shoulder. I got one for a friend and he loves it. $11.45

71laD0sTrYL._SL1300_.jpg

Comfy looking strap. $39.99

guitar-strap-1_2048x.jpg?v=1494986396

Man I need these. $11

31LjlKtHYuL._AC_US218_.jpg

$12.99

1/4 Inch Guitar Effects Pedal Coupler Connector (5 Pack) by Creanoso - Premium Quality - Guitar Pedal Board Accessories

For those gigging in your under wear: $9.96

41DW1wS577L._SX425_.jpg

61YzBS3VrVL._SL1000_.jpg

Edit: These are rad and come in 3 colors. About $11

91I-HIqkGgL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

You know, all the batterie eventually died in all the Snarks I have floating around and I've never replaced them. I have a great pedal ahead of my amp I go by for my electrics, and the Guitar Tuna app on my phone I use for my acoustics.

Should have added I use the inline when close enough isn’t good enough. 

He is in Atlanta. Guitar has rarely been played. Also, I'm getting the info on exactly which amp that is.

Thanks, man. I’ll have a decision later. My son still wants an acoustic but those are tempting additions to my stockpile. Particularly the git. I’ll PM if interested.

Coincidently, plain and functional is the halllmark of the “austerity” model Martins from the depression era (of which bogey’s is an example, and the M series of guitars descend from). Absolutely beautiful in a different way than my PRS/Les Paul/D-41/J45 exotic/whatever.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:
2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

It's just about as cheap to replace the Snark as it is the batteries.  

Did I tell y’all how I forgot about a guitar and then gave it to my fiancée’s brother? I think that was an achievement for me. He was staying at our place while visiting (and is a sophomore in college at Haskell), and was talking about how he had been saving up to buy a strat. I was thinking maybe I’d let him borrow my thinline tele and then I remembered that I actually had a MIM strat under a bed somewhere that I hadn’t seen or thought about in a year. Told him if he found a black strat under the bed in the guest room he could have it. He came back out like I was a wizard. And then I bought that G&L Tribute to restore balance in the force.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:
4 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

I used to use Guitar Tuna but replaced it with the new Fender Tune app. It seems to work out better for me. 

36 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'll try that one. i like Tuna, but it wants me to buy the paid version to unlock other tunings. My nephew took up guitar last summer and he says he learns a lot from the training excerzises in Tuna, I hadn't even realized they were there.

Yeah, the Fender app has a lot of alternative tunings. I use open G a lot so it comes in handy. 

I love PRS’s. I feel like they are fun to play versitile guitars. But I like the over the top look. Also how do I post a video? I have a clip of me playing my epiphone Union Jack through my Mesa single rec and a Marshall 1960a 4x12 cab. I want your feed back on some tone I have dialed in. 

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Some PRS pron

PRS Vine McCarty

6315_DE62-_AC15-46_D5-82_E7-_B2669_BB335

9_EC20_DE7-_CAD9-42_B8-9_E4_F-321162888_

D8_FE6_FC6-_B586-445_C-9_DC9-9510_D1080_

F29_B7_CE1-_A6_C0-4_DAA-_B65_D-368774_F6

that neck is wild (expand quote for full size pictures)

if you upload a video to youtube, you can set the privacy to "unlisted", which is where it won't appear in search but will appear if you have the link.  And then I believe with this board you can just paste the link into a post and it will do the rest (unless you're posting from tapa, in which case you may still need the video tags).  fwiw, also in your quote i clicked on each thumbnail to open the link to the full size picture, then right clicked and selected "copy image address", and replaced the picture with that, which automatically (from a browser, not tapa) puts it in as an image.

2_F637_FAA_C124_45_EF_B76_A_B76_A127_ED8

and, disagree on capos.  I spend a lot of the time on acoustic with a capo on the second fret, cause I don't want to use a different voicing and that works better with my voice, and if it works for Townes it works for me.

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I hate capos with a passion.  Better to learn new chord voicings, IMO. 

I can't hardly play with a capo, and I don't think it's a deficiency.  I can't get my ear to sync up with the idea of (for instance) the sound of an F# chord voiced as an open E.  When my hand is voicing an E, I want to hear an E.

Yeah, Mojo, it seems I learned CAGED by default when I taught myself how to play by ear many years ago. It was certainly helpful in getting to a reasonably advanced point but it was limiting after that. I’ve had several friends who are way more talented than myself, including a guy with an MA in music (guitar), tell me to abandon a lot of the thought processes i developed in order to advance further in theory. I appreciate the input, man.

I wish I had learned fretboard theory at some point.  I am a completely remedial player.  I mean, I play what I play well but it's not exactly complicated stuff, and it's mostly a fairly complete toolkit of open chords that I can move around the neck to create interesting SUS chords and other variations.

I can't play lead to save my life, except for the rare occasion where I have time to figure out a fairly simple melodic part that I lock down and never deviate from.

It's never too late.   And it really isn't difficult to start that trajectory — the hard part is knowing what to practice. In the last three years I've improved more than in the previous twenty, and by a wide margin, just by finally figuring out what I needed to learn.  And everyone here is happy to help with suggestions and advice.

Edited by Mojo Hand

Get out of my mind, jj. Hah.

Agreed, Mojo. Playing with others who are more advanced certainly helps as well. The greatest leap I’ve ever taken was with a dude that could’ve played for anyone but is likely still in his living room getting stoned, smoking cigarettes, drinking Pepsi and playing Dimeola/Return to Forever note for note.

I can't make myself care about theory and actual scales and stuff. I just wish I could make my fingers move the way I need them to, on both hands. I'm actually starting to try a couple of exercises for the first time in my life.

I think I misunderstood the purpose of practicing scales for a long time.   I thought they were the rule book for playing over certain keys and chords.   But what they really are is a way for our brain to package together sounds.  The mixolydian scale, for example, is just what a particular arrangement of seven notes sound like.  There's theory behind all of it, but for a player, this is all that matters.

If you practice the scales over and over again, you end up internalizing them to the point where you no longer think "Now I shall play the mixolydian scale."   You think of the mixolydian sound in your head, and it just comes out of your fingers, and you don't even think of the word mixolydian or the visual pattern you once memorized.    And while it's hard to get to that point, once you're there it's easy to switch between scales because you don't have to think about it.   You just think of the different sound and it comes out too.   Naturally gifted musicians sometimes have this ability from the start, but anyone can learn it over time.   I know this for a fact because I didn't have this ability for more than 20 years of playing, and now I'm starting to play this way.

Scales are so easy to practice because you can do them in front of the TV.   They're like lifting weights -- you just do them over and over again to get stronger, but you don't have to think hard about them.

I will say this -- when practicing modes, always play the tonic note in the background.  On youtube, you can get solid 30 minutes of just a C note or whatever note.   If you practice modes without the tonic, you aren't practicing the mode, because your brain just thinks of it as natural major or minor unless you contrast it with the note that throws the mode into being.

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 3

Does anyone have an opinion on how the G&L Tribute series compares to the MIM Fender stuff?

I’ve had a MIM Fender before (60th anny ash Strat, see pic below), and it was great. I am looking mostly at Teles/ASATs specifically at the moment. I’d love a Doheny or JM, but as I’m just wanting to get back into the hobby, I don’t wanna drop a lot of cash at the moment. G&L has some pretty solid new prices right now (10-20% off), which makes them pretty enticing. I also don’t mind buying used. I did see Hulla’s post about his buddy’s HH Tele (did he sell that yet?), but I would like a traditional pickup config at this time. Thanks!

Here’s an example of the MIM Strat I had. It was a beautiful piece.

42bc5093d9aceaa8ef537c99ed014d10.jpg

I bought that G&L Tribute Bluesboy recently.  Here's what I think about it in regards to quality - I don't think that the tuners are very good, I don't think it was set up/intonated very well from the get go, and the tone knob was loose when I got it.  It tightened back up and seems fine, but that makes me nervous about it.  But a he reason I'm nervous about it is because a lot of MIM Fenders (in my experience) lose volume/tone knobs, and specifically the post for the knobs on my old p-bass was made of such soft metal that eventually the screw holding the knob in place dug a rut into it and wouldn't stay secure (and they were both eventually lost during shows).

I think I'll eventually switch out the tuners on my G&L, but I really like it.  As jimmy said, the neck is great.