The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So my daughter commandeered my Telecaster and Spark amp and told me to teach her how to play.  I showed her some chords and now she's playing that crap out of it, practicing every day, asking me how to do different things.  Anyway, while that makes me extremely happy, I want my Tele back.   So I need to start looking at a telecaster for her that's:

• Got solid playability so that she's not fighting the instrument while she learns
  • Cheap enough so that if she loses interest or breaks it, I won't regret fathering her (< $650 would be the ideal budget)
  • Of high enough quality that I won't be shopping for another one in 6 months when her skills "outgrow" this guitar (bonus for being a good platform for upgrading pickups, electronics, etc... over time)
  • Full sized, because she's already 5'7" and only growing
  • Has more of a 60s C or thinner neck profile as that is what she has been playing on and doing well with (no 50s baseball bat necks)

That's where you assholes come in.  What are your opinions on Tele types that fit the above criteria?  Some options I know I should be considering...

Squire classic vibe 60s telecaster ($449.99 new)

image.thumb.png.2abead96aa8f80e8eec675e43a4a90fd.png

Squire classic vibe 70s telecaster ($449.99 new)

image.thumb.png.ac28423822e1e8b2f10fa2dbd52edc72.png

G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy ($475 new)

image.thumb.png.bf1bef09bcf2503de9d2a0deb9c7dcb3.png

Fender Player Telecaster (Used ~$600, new $700 and slightly over budget)
image.thumb.png.effd94a63ba7d4eaafebb18fa4d02581.png

Fender Vintera 60s Telecaster Modified (Used ~$750, over budget but if you are getting more than just the logo...)

image.thumb.png.73f1d86e5b5ace347d08496ea9d67609.png

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So my daughter commandeered my Telecaster and Spark amp and told me to teach her how to play.  I showed her some chords and now she's playing that crap out of it, practicing every day, asking me how to do different things.  Anyway, while that makes me extremely happy, I want my Tele back.   So I need to start looking at a telecaster for her that's:

• Got solid playability so that she's not fighting the instrument while she learns
  • Cheap enough so that if she loses interest or breaks it, I won't regret fathering her (< $650 would be the ideal budget)
  • Of high enough quality that I won't be shopping for another one in 6 months when her skills "outgrow" this guitar (bonus for being a good platform for upgrading pickups, electronics, etc... over time)
  • Has more of a 60s C or thinner neck profile as that is what she has been playing on and doing well with (no 50s baseball bat necks)

That's where you assholes come in.  What are your opinions on Tele types that fit the above criteria?  Some options I know I should be considering...

Fender Vintera 60s Telecaster Modified (Used ~$750, over budget but if you are getting more than just the logo...)

As much as that CV 60s tele breaks my no-binding/no sunburst on teles rules for me, I'm betting it's a great bang for the buck guitar.  The 60s C neck will be great, and those 60s style tele pickups along with a rosewood board will give you that classic, bright spank.  I have a 2017 AV 64 Tele and it really does something different from my other two teles.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Cheap enough so that if she loses interest or breaks it, I won't regret fathering her (

Have you asked her? Or is this a surprise?

Because I think you should just give her yours since she likes it anyhow. Then to buy yourself the one you really want.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Because I think you should just give her yours since she likes it anyhow. Then to buy yourself the one you really want.

No way, it's my #1.  She can have it when I'm dead.  She has color preferences, likes the pastels more than the bursts, etc...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Squier classic vibe butterscotch blonde telecaster and love it. Good bang for the buck. Much heavier and beefier than my intro Epiphone Les Paul Special II but be aware that the output jacks on those Squiers fucking suckkkkkkk and will probably come loose after a couple of weeks. If you do get one, upgrade the jack with one of these jack socket cup plates....

https://www.amazon.com/Electrosocket-Jack-Plate-Telecasters-Switchcraft/dp/B01EB5SYDY/ref=asc_df_B01EB5SYDY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154928868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1999755730149713722&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028268&hvtargid=pla-569577277120&psc=1

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

My vote is the Fender Player. I think that is the sweet spot for quality and probably holds better value.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I would vote for the Squier CV 60's Tele.  I have the Squier CV tele and a MIM player tele.  The Squier (or at least the one I bought) feels like a much nicer guitar than the MIM Fender.  It just does.  The Fender has nicer electronics if you open it up and look, but honestly the Alpha mini pots feel nicer/smoother than the CTS pots in the MIM Fender and work exactly the same.  The switch is not as nice in the CV, but serviceable.  Will they last? IDK but the pots are $6 bucks a piece and the switch is $10, so that's a problem for future Chad Fuck.

The one catch is that I would absolutely only buy the Squier used.  You know what you're looking at so you'll be able to get a nice example.  I think I paid $280 (it's pristine) and I don't think it'll ever depreciate from that number.  Use the rest to buy her the nicest amp that fits the remainder of your budget.  I know for a gift that's not as ideal, but you'll know if that would matter to your daughter.  

If you buy new, I would absolutely get a Fender.  Resale, the name on the head stock, 22 frets, just need a setup (which you could do together with her)

Conversely have you/she thought about a SG?  Small/light/contoured body/thinner shorter neck.  I took my daughter to checkout/try out guitars fully expecting her to choose a strat.  After a solid hour and a half at the store holding/playing everything she could get her hands on the SG was all she wanted because it fit her more comfortably.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, locodos said:

After a solid hour and a half at the store holding/playing everything she could get her hands on

This is good advice.  Take her to a guitar shop and see what type of guitar speaks to her.  Don't get me wrong, I love teles.  I have 3 of them.  But they fight back sometimes, which could be frustrating for someone who is learning. 

Also, on the amp front, if you want something she won't outgrow too quickly, i.e., if she takes to it and wants to play with other people, you could do a lot worse than a used Vox AC10.  I think we got DCBC Jr.'s for around $3350 (tree-fiddy).  They are $500 new.  Plenty loud.  Nice tones.  All tube.  Portable.  Resellable if/when the time comes.

That, or a used silverface Super Reverb because, well, because.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

What makes them so great. 

Yeah, and I was thinking (second thoughts) that if you learn on a tele, you'll never know the difference. 

See what the kid likes.  My kid's first guitar was an Epiphone LP Special I w/ P90s.  Great little guitar.  I picked it up used for $72.  When he got a little older, he started working his way through my collection of teles, a strat, LP, 335, SG, and PRS HBII.  When it came time to spend his money on something, he went for a strat first and foremost.  What that means is that he took to the least expensive guitar I own (partscaster).  He's not a huge fan of Gibson thus far, and while he really wants my PRS, I've stipulated that he only gets it after I die of natural causes

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

The serious version of that though... at the risk of being exposed as a little rich kid, my first guitar was a 1996 Martin DM followed up by the 98 American Standard Strat. Buying shit is how my dad expressed that he cared, which worked out well - I don't play the DM as much (just because.. I have a 2 other Martin dreadnoughts and a J45) but the strat is sitting next to me right now and they are both definitely still in the mix.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

The serious version of that though... at the risk of being exposed as a little rich kid, my first guitar was a 1996 Martin DM followed up by the 98 American Standard Strat. Buying shit is how my dad expressed that he cared, which worked out well - I don't play the DM as much (just because.. I have a 2 other Martin dreadnoughts and a J45) but the strat is sitting next to me right now and they are both definitely still in the mix.

I learned a few lessons early on about buying guitars that weren't precisely good and, later, taking a bit of a bath when I realized their quality wasn't what I was after and trying to sell them.  Nowadays, there are examples of getting more for less in the guitar market.  But in the end, the maxim, "Don't buy crap and you'll never have to sell crap," holds.

• Hook 'Em 2

I still haven't gotten around to repairing my 25-yr-old Seagull S6 and miss not having an acoustic to strum on the back porch or the office couch...I've had my eye on a PRS Angelus acoustic for awhile now but not sure if I should just spend less money and use the savings on a new pedal or some other gear seeing as how I have nothing but my two poor man electric guitars, a Marshall MG 30FX combo amp, and a Komet Mirasol pedal. 

Any recs for reputable acoustics under, say, $300 that will stay in tune and sounds good?

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I learned a few lessons early on about buying guitars that weren't precisely good and, later, taking a bit of a bath when I realized their quality wasn't what I was after and trying to sell them.  Nowadays, there are examples of getting more for less in the guitar market.  But in the end, the maxim, "Don't buy crap and you'll never have to sell crap," holds.

There is a lot to that sentiment.   I just can't get past the marginal return issue.  Especially when you are taking about a teen.  A guy I went to school with given an early vintage strat (pre CBS blah blah).  Even back then it was worth more than his car.  He only got to play it when he went home because it was too valuable to take to college.   He is in a "Dad band" now and you know what?  He doesn't play it there either for fear of loss.  Plays a PRS instead.    Not quite the same thing, but now imagine a teen who might want to drag the guitar to school, friends houses, and later to a dorm, put stickers on it, garage relic it... you know act like a teen 

Now consider the kid might not even play it after 6 months.  I budgeted $600 for guitar and $250 for a practice amp for each of my teens.  It didn't stick with my daughter, but my son is playing off and on and just getting into music.  If he keeps playing and enjoying it a gift down the road might be a nicer American made guitar and tube amp, by then he'll know more of what he wants and probably appreciate it more.

$1500 for an American Strat and $1000 for an amp is not a huge deal...  but man I got to be true to my Scottish heritage

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, locodos said:

He is in a "Dad band" now and you know what?  He doesn't play it there either for fear of loss.  Plays a PRS instead.    Not quite the same thing, but now imagine a teen who might want to drag the guitar to school, friends houses, and later to a dorm, put stickers on it, garage relic it... you know act like a teen 

Man, guitars are for playing. I understand he sentiment, but I couldn't just leave something hermetically sealed.

Teens will definitely beat it up. I brought my Strat Plus myself as a teenager, and in about a week I dropped my snowboard on it and put a huge ding it that it has to this day.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Man, guitars are for playing. I understand he sentiment, but I couldn't just leave something hermetically sealed.

Teens will definitely beat it up. I brought my Strat Plus myself as a teenager, and in about a week I dropped my snowboard on it and put a huge ding it that it has to this day.

I mean, yeah.  But my Dad's '59 doesn't come out of the house anymore.  I got him a Hot Rod '57 Strat (which is a fan-fucking-tastic guitar if you can find them) so that someone wouldn't bonk him over the head and take the '59 when he was playing gigs at the local nursing home or whatever.  The last gig before we got his Hot Rod, someone commented on the '59, and he said, "that's a reissue" and the guy said, "the hell it is."  So it gets played at home now and not out.  Everything has a time and a place.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I mean, yeah.  But my Dad's '59 doesn't come out of the house anymore.  I got him a Hot Rod '57 Strat (which is a fan-fucking-tastic guitar if you can find them) so that someone wouldn't bonk him over the head and take the '59 when he was playing gigs at the local nursing home or whatever.  The last gig before we got his Hot Rod, someone commented on the '59, and he said, "that's a reissue" and the guy said, "the hell it is."  So it gets played at home now and not out.  Everything has a time and a place.  

Yeah, I mean like I said I get it. And if I was a billion years old and dealing with those heavies who attend Bobby Vee cover band shows I would probably have a more conservative take too. But I play all my stuff in general. If there's a forecast for a tropical storm I wouldn't take my old gear to a gig on the beach, but within reason.

14 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You guys got me to talk to her and show her more guitars this morning.  Details will be below.

3 hours ago, locodos said:

Conversely have you/she thought about a SG?  Small/light/contoured body/thinner shorter neck.  I took my daughter to checkout/try out guitars fully expecting her to choose a strat.  After a solid hour and a half at the store holding/playing everything she could get her hands on the SG was all she wanted because it fit her more comfortably.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

See what the kid likes.

She really likes the look/shape of a telecaster.  It's why she asked to borrow mine.  She's meh about all other guitars I showed her.

She got super excited about butterscotch blonde blackguard telecasters.  When I showed her a pic of one, she exclaimed "BEE!" which she always does when she sees anything remotely resembling a bumble bee.  I should have known.  This kid is all about the bees.  Her favorite movie even today as a 12 year old is Bee Movie.  A good half her clothes have bees on them.  Her bike and snowboard are covered in bumble bee stickers.  We're actually going to be trying to establish a couple hives on our property this year at her request.  She really wants to save the bees.  Did I mention she likes bees?

image.thumb.jpeg.bf5a7036f04cdfc3c974e79cca79889f.jpeg

She asked if she could put bee stickers and draw black stripes with a sharpie on the guitar.  So that leads me to think Squier CustomVibe 50s.  It's cheap, I won't cringe when I see her take a sharpie to it, and it has a more modern C shape neck than 50s thick neck despite the 50s era target.

61XhYMM1LiL.jpg

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Counterbalancing above, I have a similar experience from my childhood.  In the summer before 8th grade, my brother and I announced we were forming a band.  Mom took us to the city (we lived in rural west Texas) and we went to some music store where she bought my brother a new fender strat, me a new fender pbass and both of us amps.  They weren't top of the line by any means, but they were good, player grade instruments that we would never outgrow.  My brother still has the strat, my pbass got stolen in 1993.  This has me thinking fender player just so she's got a real fender that we can hotrod over time and that will still be a viable instrument for her when she is my age.  I know the name on the headstock shouldn't matter, it doesn't for her, but for some reason it does to me, a bit.  Rational common sense may prevail, but I dunno.

fender-player-telecaster-butterscotch-bl

I think maybe I'll give her a guitar shopping day with dad for Christmas.  I have off from Christmas to New Years, so we'll have time to make a fun day of it.  There's a guitar center with both about an hour away.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I vote for the Squire and let her sticker it up and draw all over that bitch.  She will love it and play it more.  Buy yourself the Fender, then give it to her later.  I would give anything if either of my daughters had shown an interest in the guitar....hell, any instrument.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I still haven't gotten around to repairing my 25-yr-old Seagull S6 and miss not having an acoustic to strum on the back porch or the office couch...I've had my eye on a PRS Angelus acoustic for awhile now but not sure if I should just spend less money and use the savings on a new pedal or some other gear seeing as how I have nothing but my two poor man electric guitars, a Marshall MG 30FX combo amp, and a Komet Mirasol pedal. 

Any recs for reputable acoustics under, say, $300 that will stay in tune and sounds good?

We bought my older son a $99 epiphone acousitc off of Amazon, which he since has sold.  But that thing was one easy playing, great sounding guitar.  My main acoustic, which I almost never play these days, is a $400 1995 Norman, made by Seagull (back then).  Great little guitar, but not nearly as easy to play as that $99 epiphone.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Goredho said:

fender-player-telecaster-butterscotch-bl

I think maybe I'll give her a guitar shopping day with dad for Christmas.  I have off from Christmas to New Years, so we'll have time to make a fun day of it.  There's a guitar center with both about an hour away.

That's going to be awesome! 

I'm all for the spray paint custom art thing, but if you're trying to keep the mods reversible, maybe have this under the tree for her or have her paint white pick guard.

fcr98md1u1f6vfuvzj6s.jpg

Obviously the tele version

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1