The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

In my old age my hands definitely aren't a resilient as they once were, I'm considering maybe stepping down a gauge in strings. I just got these last last 2 Les Pauls sent/returned with 10s on them, and when I strung up the usual RPS 11s it was a perceptable increase in stiffness. Most of the time it seems like normal and I don't notice at all but some days my hands feel it. I put a .017 on the G out of a set of 10s, since the G is pretty much 99% of the problem so hopefully this is a happy compromise.

53 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I put some 9s and 10s on after that YouTube video where it showed that lighter strings may sound just as big or bigger and now I squeeze those guitars out of tune. Think I’m going back to power slinkies.

Honestly when I watched that video it reinforced my dim opinion of Beato as I thought the heavier strings clearly sounded heavier. Better is always subjective, so I wouldn't say one was better or worse, but it wasn't some aha moment, everything sounded exactly as I thought it would. Just another Beato dramatization.

I never really played heavy strings for the sound totally, it was more because I liked more material to grab onto. Light strings just feel to squirrely to me. I played 12s and even 13s for a bit, but that was a bit much. Also I hit pretty hard which is why I use a purple Tortex and RPS strings.

29 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Thumb over the top F chord will do it easy

The open D chord is always the one that I hear. The A on the G string is already slightly sharp from equal tempermant, plus being so close to the nut unless that slot is cut really low it it super easy to press too hard.

Its funny because as a novice I never noticed it at all as i was banging away, then over the years as my ear developed I was all why is the D chord so shitty, I need intonation setup. No you dummy you need to quit pushing down so fucking hard.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

It took me some time to figure out that I didn't need to strangle the guitar neck like Chris Beard after telling his fiance she needed to sign a prenup. Since then, my playing has gotten better. 

Yeah just enough pressure to fret cleanly is what you want. I honestly don't push down super hard, I have always had more issues with a heavy right hand. I play bigger strings just for the grip, I can fret them cleaner than light ones.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

It took me some time to figure out that I didn't need to strangle the guitar neck like Chris Beard after telling his fiance she needed to sign a prenup. Since then, my playing has gotten better. 

Some guitars are into that shit.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

The open D chord is always the one that I hear. The A on the G string is already slightly sharp from equal tempermant, plus being so close to the nut unless that slot is cut really low it it super easy to press too hard.

Its funny because as a novice I never noticed it at all as i was banging away, then over the years as my ear developed I was all why is the D chord so shitty, I need intonation setup. No you dummy you need to quit pushing down so fucking hard.

This is especially easy to do on a Tele with barrel saddles and jumbo frets.

9 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I find you press a lot lighter if you have hard, solid calluses built up. I play 10's on everything except 11's w a wound G on the big orange Gretsch. I find the extra pressure on the bridge helps it resonate more.

Callous certainly help everything, but this biggest factor is usually finger dexterity and chord shape practices. The reason eginners typically mash strings because they haven't developed enough flexibility and have to jam their fingers into the fretboard to make the appropriate shapes.

Just fyi, a wound third will actually have lower tension than a plain one if you are going for higher tension overall. A wound is probably good on that axe though, a plain would be brighter. Anyone playing 11s is always advised to step down the G a gauge as a plain G is usually overpowering. I never did it because I couldn't be bothered to get more than a standard set, but I may end up doing it now just to help my hands.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, G650 said:

In my old age my hands definitely aren't a resilient as they once were, I'm considering maybe stepping down a gauge in strings. I just got these last last 2 Les Pauls sent/returned with 10s on them, and when I strung up the usual RPS 11s it was a perceptable increase in stiffness. Most of the time it seems like normal and I don't notice at all but some days my hands feel it. I put a .017 on the G out of a set of 10s, since the G is pretty much 99% of the problem so hopefully this is a happy compromise.

So in an update no one asked for, when I changed strings on the burst I also switched out the cheap bridge the previous owner had put on after taking the Bigsby off for a vintage ABR-1. I checked the height of the wheels with a rule to preset it before strings. When I finally got around to checking the relief and action today, it was probably .020 higher than usual. Once that was adjusted, everything is copacetic again. I am digging the .017 on G over a .018p. But I'm about 99% sure um too lazy to actually do that everytime.

Bx_ACO.gif

20 hours ago, G650 said:

The open D chord is always the one that I hear. The A on the G string is already slightly sharp from equal tempermant, plus being so close to the nut unless that slot is cut really low it it super easy to press too hard

I was listening to The Lemonheads' "Into Your Arms" the other day -- maybe it was posted here, can't remember -- and Evan hammers that A to G continuously.  It's really well done, and not as easy to keep in tune as one might think (which you allude to).

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was listening to The Lemonheads' "Into Your Arms" the other day -- maybe it was posted here, can't remember -- and Evan hammers that A to G continuously.  It's really well done, and not as easy to keep in tune as one might think (which you allude to).

It really isn't. I've always had a lot of respect for the guys who really were good rhythm players and were just as serious about that technique as leads. EVH was a hugely underrated rhythm player, if its possible to underrate him on anything guitar related. Pete Townsend and Malcolm Young were two of my real influences as a kid.

After four decades I still have to remind myself not to push down too hard with my index finger on an open D chord. Really seriously good guys can actually get their finger pressure so spot on they compensate for all the vagaries of equal temperament.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

This is very true. So much focus on player’s left hands but the groove is in the right hand. EVH was an absolute master at it. MY too. Most of the greats really, but it’s just so overlooked.

100%. Dime too, ridiculously good rhythm player.

Interesting Stupid Deal Of The Hour until 2PM. 

I have thought about putting some older style single coils on my buttercream 40th anniversary Strat that I had put hot rails and a pearly pickguard long ago. Haven't played it in a long time, and the rails aren't really my thing any more. Would make for an easy conversion. 

Stupid Deal of the Hour

Stratocaster SSS 57/62 Pre-Wired Pickguard White/Back/White

Customize your tone with the Pre-Wired Fender Stratocaster pickguards. Made with premium components in the same factory as the iconic guitars, this drop-in pickguard is easy to install. Simply remove your old guard, solder the output jack and ground wires, screw in the new guard and you're ready to rock with pure Fender sound.
Was:  Regular Price $269.99Savings:  Your Savings $100.00Your Price $169.99
Deal ends in 0:30:04

Limited quantity-while supplies last

21 minutes ago, DougO said:

Interesting Stupid Deal Of The Hour until 2PM. 

I have thought about putting some older style single coils on my buttercream 40th anniversary Strat that I had put hot rails and a pearly pickguard long ago. Haven't played it in a long time, and the rails aren't really my thing any more. Would make for an easy conversion. 

Stupid Deal of the Hour

Stratocaster SSS 57/62 Pre-Wired Pickguard White/Back/White

Customize your tone with the Pre-Wired Fender Stratocaster pickguards. Made with premium components in the same factory as the iconic guitars, this drop-in pickguard is easy to install. Simply remove your old guard, solder the output jack and ground wires, screw in the new guard and you're ready to rock with pure Fender sound.
Was:  Regular Price $269.99Savings:  Your Savings $100.00Your Price $169.99
Deal ends in 0:30:04

Oh shit, do it. That's what I have in my Strat Plus. My favorite Fender pickups bar none.

Shit, him and Adrian Smith are both animals.

All 3 of them are, but Dave, along with Steve Harris on bass, is the one who carries that rhythm in that band. The other two guys add some power chords to thicken it up and play solos, but Dave's holding it down. Then when takes his solo's, it's next level shit. Guy is crazy good. He's also been in that band longer than anybody but Steve. He seems to not have an ego about it. I've seen them live from the front rows several times, including this last Sept. I never realized it till I got an up close look at what they do.
When did they add the third? Back in the day I’m pretty sure they were just two.
When Smith amd Dickinson left they hired Jers, and he stayed when they came back.
Janick came on when Bruce and Adrian quit in the early '90's, and he stayed on when they came back in 2000 (bye bye Blaze). I get the sense that he's a super sweet guy and they love having him around. He's a fun entertainer to watch.

I saw them play that 1st tour back together in 2000. Metal was dead at the time and Maiden forgotten. They played a 3000 person auditorium on the UM campus in Minneapolis.. They had the huge stage, giant Eddie, Bruce's costumes and flags,, etc. It all barely fit in the room. I don't even think it was sold out.

/csb

So the fam and I went to Vietnam for vacay. While there we got to check out some folk music these guys were playing on guitar but it did not sound like guitar as we know it. The tuning was something way different. They were using scalloped necks to get these wild 1/4 tones. Yngwie Malmsteen got nothing on these guys.
d7a68f79e8d4d24974435f970748d04c.jpg
266623e868b19202cb3c7d1b48c0062e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

MF Stupid deal of the day is tempting just because it could scratch my lake placid blue Tele itch for extra cheap.

Stupid Deal of the Hour

Limited-Edition Bullet Telecaster Electric Guitar Lake Placid Blue

Equally at home in rock, jazz, blues or country, this limited-edition Bullet Telecaster electric guitar is simple, affordable and practical, designed for beginners and students. It's a perfect choice for a first guitar no matter who you are or what style of music you want to learn. Featuring the classic features that made the Tele one of the ... Read More
Was:  Regular Price $199.99Savings:  Your Savings $70.00Your Price $129.99
Deal ends in 20:52:45

Shop More Deals

• Hook 'Em 2