The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

It's a Christmas miracle!  Got the email from Mojotone that my PAF-type pickups are shipping.  So much for 16 week lead time. 

But to balance things out, the guy making my wiring harness has COVID.  Hopefully, he survives and the delay is minimal. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

But to balance things out, the guy making my wiring harness has COVID.  Hopefully, he survives and the delay is minimal. 

This made me chuckle, not the guy having COVID part obviously, but I text the guy doing my 77' for an update today and apparently he had RSV last week. Seems to be happening all over.

He is back though and hopes to wrap it up today, had to do a little routing to get the pots in because of the top thickness. He asked if it was ok, I was like "Buddy, every single ounce you take off that boat anchor is A OK in my book".

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

G650 reacts to every post with the FAFO emoji. I find that amusing. 

I feel it's appropriate for almost every situation,especially in this thread lol. I will throw a rage in there for truly sad news or a laugh on some of the shit Celeryman cracks me up with every now and again.

Edit: I also can't lie I literally chuckle at the Gritty emoji everytime.

Edited by G650

On 12/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, dcbc said:

I still have my first acoustic, which my Uncle gave me.  It's a 1962 Gibson LG-0.  Not the easiest thing to play, the top is a bit blistered these days, and the bridge is hanging on.  But not bad for 60 years old in the same chipboard case.  He also gave me an old 60s Japanese import strat copy with a single foil pickup.  I eventually sold it because despite being cool, it was pretty much unplayable. 

Looked similar to this one.

kjbfitqgz3hakg6wdovb.jpg

My first guitar that I got once I'd been in lessons for a while was a used 1978 Lawsuit Ibanez LP copy (PF230) 3-pickup.  This would have been around 1990 or so.  It's like the one on the left.  Kind of wish I still had it, but I have a real LP now, which sounds better and stays in tune reliably.

The great thing about this is that there is no toggle switch to distract and especially no toggle switch to hit while strumming.

This is a great guitar for a learner who is just going to be strumming chords.

People don't tend to start off learning lead picking and then graduate to strumming. Beginner instruments should either not have a toggle switch or have that fucker way away from any conceivable strum path.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, after a day with the new LP, a few things. The Epi is more playable and sounds better than the Gibson Standard 60's I had. Livelier, too. The Gibson was prettier with that nitro finish and smelled better. 😄 

I preferred the Grovers on the Gibby over the Kluson-style tuners, but I can remedy that. 

All in all, though, the Epi 59 Standard is a steal for $850. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

do you have an onboard motor behind your marshall stack

Ha! Excellent eye. That one is actually attached to a boat that was backed in the shed for the winter, but in fact there is a small outboard that lives permanently on a stand behind the gobo just behind the stack

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The older I get, the more I like those tobacco-ey burst LPs.  Well done.

I have always been a huge tobacco burst fan. My dream guitar as a teen was a Birdseye maple tobacco LP Standard. I couldn't come close to affording it so I bought this one in the early 90s for like 650 bucks or so. I've come to love it dearly.

It has not gotten any lighter since it went for frets and pickups though, I can assure you.

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s a CCR documentary on Netflix right now (appropriately narrated by Jeff Bridges) that ends in their Royal Albert Hall show around 1969-70. Lots of guitar pron considering the band’s affinity for the classic models, but what struck me is how Fogerty is just plugged straight into his amp, with a cord short enough that it doesn’t touch the ground. Talk about barebones. Just goes to show that the great ones never needed a pile of complicated gear.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1